Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

feargale wrote: »
    Minister Harris says the Ireland v Italy game shouldn't go ahead. The IRFU want to know why. Any of you have any idea why?

They will probably push the line what's the point of cancelling the game woth Italy while you continue to allow flights in from Italy daily?
    I don't see the logic \ justification for the one without the other.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

bennyl10 wrote: »
    The vast majority of those infected have been fine.
    So it’s not spoofing is it?

Saying that we are all going to die due to this virus, a virus which in the majority hasn’t proved to be deadly, Is madness and just causing mass panic

Did you miss the current 9% death rate? The amount of people incapable of grasping that this has only started, and isn't comparable to flu is jaw dropping. The same idiotic statements were made about ebola when it broke out, "ah jaysus, flu has killed X already this year... Perspective needed". It..is..only..getting.. started.

No one (credible) is saying we are all going to die. Completely disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I’m not a rugby fan but I think IRFU have a point if flights continue multiple times a day from Milan into Ireland without restriction.

It’s probably for containment with so many gathering in the same spot for the match. Paddy’s Day Parade might also be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

BanditLuke wrote: »
    At this moment Covid19 is rampant in Italy so Harris can only work on that. Its a side issue and the overall health of the country is more important.

It seems the HSE is finally waking up.

Harris can’t win no matter what, damned if he does, and damned if he doesn’t.

Can’t see the IRFU taking on the responsibility of going against the Department of Health on this one. If there’s as much as one connected case afterwards there’ll be hell to pay. Most likely you’d see a cluster and the press would be all over it.

It’s unbelievable that we haven’t had a case yet. The most globalised country in the world, with EMEA headquarters for so many multinationals.

tom1ie wrote: »
    I just went on the H.S.E website to find out what to do in the unfortunate event myself or a family member got covid 19 (better to know what to do i suppose) and this is what it says:

You will only need to be tested for coronavirus if you have symptoms and have in the last 14 days been:

in close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus
    to one of the affected areas
    in a healthcare centre or hospital where patients with coronavirus were being treated

thats grand, but what if you are in contact with someone not showing any symptoms but who transmits the virus?
    i searched the page for a number to ring, as your not supposed to go to a G.P or A+E, but didn't find anything?
    what happens when you ring the hotline (when you find the number) are you visited by a team in hazmat suits and carted off or what?:confused:

Don't phone them out of hours. Your emergency is not their emergency!

The HSE seem to be operating on the assumption that no symptoms mean not contagious.
    The NHS are acting as if there is a risk.
    I'm not giving the HSE the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭saabsaab

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm checking this thread multiple times per day and reading most pages for over a week now. It's bizarre how some people are so dismissive of this virus.

Even my own brother. He said he doesn't care..nothing big ever happens in Ireland..just a flu..even if it hits here, he said he doesn't care.

I cannot believe how calm and ignorant he is. His knowledge of the virus is the odd headline in the news maybe every couple of days.

Shocking.

He is not alone, so many like this don't care unless it turns up on his doorstep. Then panic.

Bit like the housing crash first denial, then said it wouldn't be too bad then the crash, lost job etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Space Dog

First case in Germany. What is rest of the EU going to do now the queen is sick? :(

It's not the first case in Germany, there were a few infected people there weeks ago already.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I have a sniffle. Probably unrelated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I’m not a rugby fan but I think IRFU have a point if flights continue multiple times a day from Milan into Ireland without restriction.

It’s probably for containment with so many gathering in the same spot for the match. Paddy’s Day Parade might also be an issue.

I was thinking this earlier. If this is not a seasonal thing you also have Euro2020 on the way.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    If really is pathetic at this stage. Senior health officials the world over are seriously worried but we are meant to talk about what, the weather?

Without giving away my exact job. I'm involved in a senior capacity in the HSE and whilst I am cautious about this potential virus in Ireland. I'm not particularly worried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Without giving away my exact job. I'm involved in a senior capacity in the HSE and whilst I am cautious about this potential virus in Ireland. I'm not particularly worried.

Not being smart at all... but why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Not particularly worried about what specifically?
    That's a fairly vague statement and meaningless. Care to elaborate so we have some understanding of your understanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

The parades didn't happen the year of foot and mouth disease and life carried on. That was over cattle, not humans.

True, but Larry Goodman doesn't export humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We are screwed so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

BanditLuke wrote:
    I've a family member who works within the HSE.
    What department does she work in?
    BanditLuke wrote:
    Look online I've no time to explain it to you.
    I've looked online and i can't see what your talking about. You made the claim, do you have a source?

There was stories of chinese universities developing a rapid test, but those preliminary studies are way off being available for commercial use worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I just went on the H.S.E website to find out what to do in the unfortunate event myself or a family member got covid 19 (better to know what to do i suppose) and this is what it says:

You will only need to be tested for coronavirus if you have symptoms and have in the last 14 days been:

in a healthcare centre or hospital where patients with coronavirus were being treated

thats grand, but what if you are in contact with someone not showing any symptoms but who transmits the virus?
    i searched the page for a number to ring, as your not supposed to go to a G.P or A+E, but didn't find anything?
    what happens when you ring the hotline (when you find the number) are you visited by a team in hazmat suits and carted off or what?:confused:

i mean think about it, if 1 person, say living in the city is confirmed, there could possibly be thousands of people that were in the same area as that one person over a couple of weeks, you simply can't expect the hospitals to test that many people. and that's just one person. say we get an outbreak of a few hundred, you could be talking 100s of thousands.

point is, it's the correct call to only test people if they have symptoms. no country in the world would do otherwise.

We can't test everybody. The health budget is limited. We need to have cost effective use of that money. Testing everybody is not cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Makes sense

You are an administrator not a medical professional though, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I have a sniffle. Probably unrelated.

Oh now I do too. Ahhhhchoooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,797 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1232374439716827136

''and they were not aware that Lombardy was affected.''

WTF

Are they living under a rock, or pissed out of their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I'm a caretaker in the Mater hospital working for the HSE, and I'm very worried

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

What department does she work in?

I've looked online and i can't see what your talking about. You made the claim, do you have a source?

There was stories of chinese universities developing a rapid test, but those preliminary studies are way off being available for commercial use worldwide.

That's none of your business

You need to look harder

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I'm a caretaker in the Mater hospital working for the HSE, and I'm very worried

What exactly are you worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Wombatman wrote:
    Would a clear out of coffin dodgers be such a bad thing? Could work wonders for the health and housing crisis stats.

What kind of arsehole would make such a tasteless comment on a thread like this where a lot of older people are genuinely worried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Soulsun wrote: »
    What exactly are you worried about?

I'm worried about picking something up

froog wrote: »
    point is, it's the correct call to only test people if they have symptoms. no country in the world would do otherwise.

Eh what do you think Italy are doing? They're testing people without symptoms who had close contact. Ditto for the cruise ships. People were tested without symptoms.
    Of course you don't test everyone, but it's not a safe assumption to mean that no symptoms mean not infectious.

We can't test everybody. The health budget is limited. We need to have cost effective use of that money. Testing everybody is not cost effective.

Surely you can request/recieve more money for emergencies such as this?! I mean, we've literally just donated money to the W.H.O! Testing everyone obviously isn't practical, but testing any new case with flu like symptoms (in hospitals) as Spain are about to do is prudent. Spend more now to save later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I'm worried about picking something up

Do the manual handling course, that way youll know the correct way to pick things up.

No more worries then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Is it true HSE we're unaware of the ongoing epidemic in Northern Italy ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement