Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Do i have to start throwing my death stats around???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

joe_99 wrote: »
    Death rate is equivalent to the flu so another 1000 max.

Even if this were true, which its not coronavurus is higher, why would that mean we shouldnt try stop it if we can?

The flu is endemic meaning it will never go away, currently this is not but it could become endemic which is why everything needs to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

bennyl10 wrote: »
    ...People die. That’s an unfortunate fact of humanity...

It's actually a good thing...

There would be 107 billion of us walking around if we didn't die.

I don't think China could keep up with the manufacture of the required number of smartphones and other devices, especially with the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭jackboy

bennyl10 wrote: »
    This isn’t the plague or the Spanish flu and treating it as if it is is,yes, the definition of an over reaction.

We don’t know what it is yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How so? Survival rates are over 99.6% for anyone under 50.

And have you not realised that a huge amount of the population is over 50?

https://www.indexmundi.com/ireland/demographics_profile.html
    1 in 4 Irish people are over 55

How so? Survival rates are over 99.6% for anyone under 50.

Well see theres this thing called aging, surprisingly we all do it and one day we will all be over 50..... Do you see where im going with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

wakka12 wrote: »
    And have you not realised that a huge amount of the population is over 50?

The figures for over 50 are no different to a bad flu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Hi guys ,
    Some of you are obviously very well read on this topic. I’m not worried about myself getting it , I am fit and healthy, but one of my children has a condition that can affect his lungs and he is prone to pneumonia ( he has had flu and pneumonia vaccine of course) . We are all careful at hand washing in the family. I was just wondering what is so special about the masks everyone is queuing for? Can I just make my own from fabric to- cover nose and mouth?

i think you will be safe by practicing hand hygiene. You only need a mask to protect others in case you are the infected one. Children in general are very safe, I haven't heard of a single case of child having complications as a result of corona virus and probably a lot of them have been infected and may have had underlying conditions too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

MD1990 wrote: »

Absolute asshats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Does the HSE not know the class of person that goes to rugby internationals ? Clearly out of their depth here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

fr336 wrote: »
    Not seen anyone else mention that it's almost 100 years to the year since the Spanish Flu - some coincidence.

Hope in a week's time we have some kind of better news. To think this time last week things seemed to be slowing down.

Thats what's really annoying me now.

I'm actually getting ANGRY now about it, it is so frustrating that every day its just new cases new cases new cases - more deaths deaths deaths .... it's like Liveline on speed.

I mean 3 days ago Italy had 3 cases 0 deaths, now it's 322, 11 .... I mean in 30 days time what are we looking at ?
    50,000 cases , 2,000 deaths ???? MORE ????

When the f*ck is this expected to at least level out and just F*CK OFF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Incorrect

Masks are useless as a protection against getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Does the HSE not know the class of person that goes to rugby internationals ? Clearly out of their depth here.

all doctors or lawyers

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SwordsRunner

Not incredible. Did you expect Ross O’Carroll Kelly’s owlfella to be scared of COVID-19?
    Loike whot the actual Fock?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Hi guys ,
    Some of you are obviously very well read on this topic. I’m not worried about myself getting it , I am fit and healthy, but one of my children has a condition that can affect his lungs and he is prone to pneumonia ( he has had flu and pneumonia vaccine of course) . We are all careful at hand washing in the family. I was just wondering what is so special about the masks everyone is queuing for? Can I just make my own from fabric to- cover nose and mouth?

The N95 masks are pretty much fabric. Outside of that you have the P3 masks that will actually stop inhalation of the virus, but you would need a face mask/goggles to protect the eyes.

A light scarf around the face would probably be more effective than an N95 mask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Nermal

Three cheers to the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The average death rate is currently calculated at 2%. Presumably that's higher for at risk groups and lower for non a-risk groups, but on average.

That would be around 20 thousand dead in Ireland, if accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We have no bans or checks on anyone traveling here from anywhere in the world. Why single out Rugby fans. Harris has no justification to do this as we are not in any remote state of alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

TomSweeney wrote: »

I'm actually getting ANGRY now about it, it is so frustrating that every day its just new cases new cases new cases - more deaths deaths deaths .... it's like Liveline on speed.

I mean 3 days ago Italy had 3 cases 0 deaths, now it's 322, 11 .... I mean in 30 days time what are we looking at ?

Its leveling out in China already from what I can see when checking daily infections and deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,326 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

TomSweeney wrote: »

two stages left to be reached , epidemic then pandemic?, then it will be endemic

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    you had another bad day honey?

Do not post in this thread again

Any questions, PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

fritzelly wrote: »
    Returned from Milan - Need to quarantine Italy

Outside the airports, each person that is found positive should mention all public areas that they have visit.

****ing disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

wylo wrote: »
    Its probably becoming an old news story in some countries already.

No, it really isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

This thing has a mortality rate of ~3%.

Spanish Flu from Wiki:
    The World Health Organization estimates that 2-3% of those who were infected died (case-fatality ratio).[51] It is estimated that approximately 30 million were killed by the flu, or about 1.7% of the world population died.[52] Other estimates range from 17 to 55 million fatalities.

• Advertisement

Way more people have contracted this virus than has been reported. This is because the huge majority of people that have contracted it haven't presented themselves for treatment and just got better. So death rate numbers are only calculated from those known to have got it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement