Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

twirlagig wrote: »
    Not being smart at all... but why not?

Main reason is that I believe that mortality of the virus is overstated at the moment. Containment strategies like cancelling the Italy game will reduce the spread of the virus which will reduce acute overwhelming of the HSE.

Secondly. We actually do have a great health service. The fact that we should have an even better health service for the money is a discussion for another day.

We have one the highest health care professional/ capita ratios in the world.

There are plans in place in hospitals (all around the country) to deal with virus if/when it arrives. Just because the general public doesn't hear about it doesn't mean it's not happening.

The fact that we are coming into summer is also a bonus as viral illnesses decrease during the summer months as we are not so closely packed together.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

wakka12 wrote: »
    Western populations have a very old average age, Ireland would be similar to the cruise ship. Average Irish person is 37 years old,over 40 in the UK, in much of Eastern and Sourhern Europe and Germany and Japan and Korea the average person is almost 50 years old

How many children were on the cruise? A quarter of the Irish population is under 18. A quarter of the ship were not children. Hence older demographic on cruise ship. 0.5% death rate needs to be factored down as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

From the Guardian:
    Only 3% of Italian coronavirus patients have died, and all of them had pre-existing conditions, Walter Ricciardi of the World Health Organisation told a Rome press conference Tuesday. “We must scale back this great alarm,” said Ricciardi, a former director at Italy’s Higher Health Institute (ISS).

Of 100 sick people, 80 get well of their own accord, 15 have serious but manageable problems, 5% are extremely serious, of which 3% die. Furthermore, as you know, all the people who died already had serious health conditions.

He said the alarm “is right, is not to be underestimated, but the disease must be placed within the correct terms”.

People need to take a chill pill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Do the manual handling course, that way youll know the correct way to pick things up.

No more worries then

i mean something invisible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm glad Harris and the IRFU are going to argue about this, so that the virus will finally get the media attention it warrants.

givyjoe wrote: »
    You are an administrator not a medical professional though, correct?

No. I'm frontline staff. I do have directorate responsibilities though. Hence why I'm aware of HSE containment plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Elessar wrote: »
    From the Guardian:

Big time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

From the Guardian:

But someone will say this is fake news and wrong and we’re all in severe danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Without giving away my exact job. I'm involved in a senior capacity in the HSE and whilst I am cautious about this potential virus in Ireland. I'm not particularly worried.

interesting. i spoke with a nurse the other day and she had the same attitude as you. when i probed her, she seemed to think this was basically the same as the 2009 swine flu and we had nothing to worry about, just let it run its course. which it most certainly is not. 0.03% case fatality rate of swine flu versus possibly 3% of this current one. literally a hundred times more deadly.

i'm getting worried if this is the prevalent attitude in the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We actually do have a great health service. The fact that we should have an even better health service for the money is a discussion for another day.

Have you seen the waiting lists?
    You'll have to come up with more believable guff to be taken seriously.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

joe_99 wrote: »
    How many children were on the cruise? A quarter of the Irish population is under 18. A quarter of the ship were not children. Hence older demographic on cruise ship. 0.5% death rate needs to be factored down as a result.

Lads, if the mods start seeing percentages here the ban hammer is coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

From the Guardian:

Apart from people with pre-existing conditions, which could mean anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

tillyfilly wrote: »

I know....i was just trying to lighten the mood with a poor joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

BanditLuke wrote:
    That's none of your business
    There are tens of thousands of people who work in the HSE. If your relative doesnt work in a department that is knowledgeable about the testing process then their opinion isn't valid.
    BanditLuke wrote:
    You need to look harder
    The person who makes the claim should back it up. That's how boards works.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Just take the suggested precautions and you should be okay. The next 7-8 weeks will be interesting.
    Do you have faith in the hse?

Surely you can request/recieve more money for emergencies such as this?! I mean, we've literally just donated money to the W.H.O! Testing everyone obviously isn't practical, but testing any new case with flu like symptoms (in hospitals) as Spain are about to do is prudent. Spend more now to save later.

It's all tied up in the children's hospital ;)

Ninthlife wrote: »
    I know....i was just trying to lighten the mood with a poor joke

Christmas cracker time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I'm worried about picking something up

In fairness, a hospital isn't the best place to work if you're that worried about picking up illnesses...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Wow now you're not required if you're over 50. When will we be down to 40 and 30? I say this as a 31 year old btw, so not too high risk myself.

• Advertisement

Soulsun wrote: »
    Just take the suggested precautions and you should be okay. The next 7-8 weeks will be interesting.
    Do you have faith in the hse?

it will be the last job to let people go if the pandemic kills everybody safe bet for work in these times :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

In fairness, a hospital isn't the best place to work if you're that worried about picking up illnesses...

:rolleyes: Helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Are the Iranian leadership born stupid through inbreeding or does their religion demand that they make stupid decisions? ......

Clerics in the city (Masumeh shrine in Qom) had reportedly opposed closing the shrine, with Hojatoleslam Mohammad Saeedi, the Qom representative of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, saying that linking the shrine to the deadly virus is part of a U.S. plot to make the holy city appear unsafe.

FFS are these people for real?

https://www.rferl.org/a/coronavirus-coverup-iranian-officials-deny-that-qom-death-toll-at-50/30451933.html

Another cleric, Hojatoleslam Ali Akbar Hosseininejad, was quoted by IRNA as saying that closing the shrine would send the wrong message.

"Why is there a need to close the shrine? People should take precautions," said Hosseininejad, who is among the officials in charge of the shrine, as quoted by official government news agency IRNA. He said that mostly foreign pilgrims, including many from Pakistan and India, were visiting the shrine".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

It's all tied up in the children's hospital ;)

Lightbulb.. Quarantine everyone there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I don’t know weather to panic or not as I’m not sure if countries like Spain, France, Germany, UK, Austria or even Italy are panicking.

Currently I’m in the No Panic side of the Fence. Just concerned the our Government project this deafening silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

There are tens of thousands of people who work in the HSE. If your relative doesnt work in a department that is knowledgeable about the testing process then their opinion isn't valid.

The person who makes the claim should back it up. That's how boards works.

They are knowledgeable

Apparently not

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Apart from people with pre-existing conditions, which could mean anything

People with preexisting conditions could have serious health problems from the normal flu as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Does that include people with a pre-existing condition, older people, smokers... or anyone with a loved one in that category?
    WTF.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Lightbulb.. Quarantine everyone there!

BAM the contractors would probably add a couple of hundred million quarantine fee.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Have you seen the waiting lists?
    You'll have to come up with more believable guff to be taken seriously.

What has that to do with the coronavirus? I work in an acute aspect. I never said that the HSE was perfect but if somebody comes into hospital acutely unwell. The service is good. The waiting lists are elective procedures so that's a different aspect. I'd be in favour of a NHS type service but I think the majority of people would object as it would probably require an increase in income tax.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement