Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

bennyl10 wrote: »
    People die from a cold.
    People die from the flu,
    People die. That’s an unfortunate fact of humanity.

But the fact with this disease is that the vast, vast majority will be fine. They’ll have a bad fever, will need watching, but will be fine.

This isn’t the plague or the Spanish flu and treating it as if it is is,yes, the definition of an over reaction.

I'm sorry, but what are you basing this on? The amount of spoofing from people pretending to be an authority on this, without anything to back up their statements is mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Jesus Christ the cancelling of a rugbyball game leads the news. You can only laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Again it isn't relevant

I'm fed up of the insinuation from multiple posters that some of us dont care about our vulnerable relatives because we're refusing to buy the scaremongering in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

tillyfilly wrote: »
    corona viruses are initially spread from animals to humans, could they go the opposite direction?

Only if the cows were to start eating us I'd imagine, and at this point that can't be ruled out.

Back to you in the studio Kent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

joe_99 wrote: »
    42% of world population is under 25. I really doubt 42% of the passengers on that cruise were under 25. Hence older demographic is correct

You mentioned 50 years old originally. Now changing older to mean over 25. Maybe that is hat you meant but you were not clear. Generally the term older demo would not be associated with 25 year olds or older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭bennyl10

givyjoe wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but what are you basing this on? The amount of spoofing from people pretending to be an authority on this, without anything to back up their statements is mind boggling.

The vast majority of those infected have been fine.
    So it’s not spoofing is it?

Saying that we are all going to die due to this virus, a virus which in the majority hasn’t proved to be deadly, Is madness and just causing mass panic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Drumpot wrote: »
    I would suggest watching WHO and reputable authority advice on it.

I will give you my Layman take so please find a reputable source to confirm anything you read here.

I think most masks just give people a sense of protection. Its not clear exactly how much, if any, they actually provide. I have bought some masks as I would rather have one and feel a bit better then feel a bit vulnerable. But not just that , where they really do appear to potentially help is if somebody gets infected, they should wear a mask to reduce the spread. I suppose its cause the mask possibly catches alot of their coughing and maybe some of their potential virus that might spread.

Isoloation from the general public seems to be the order of the day in most scenarios. My suggestion is to try and put aside some supplies for a prolonged period of time (up to you how long you think). I would consider the approach that I would want to not HAVE TO go out if I would prefer not to because I know if I get the virus there is a strong chance I might pass it onto my family.

Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3TowZyuIxI for informed information and draw your own conclusions.

The guy speaking even said that when he was working with colleagues they stayed 2 metres apart which suggests they really do think distance from individuals helps. (This is what I will try to do if I get infected and keep my family at a distance).

There are actually masks (non Viral) still available in Woodies , again how reliable they are against this is not clear.

Do not apologize or hesitate to take precautionary measures if you feel your child needs to be protected more then the average child. Nobody here or anywhere knows for sure if this Virus is in Ireland. Based on the information, thats changing quickly, we have no real reasons to be fully confident it is not here already. The best case is that it hasnt been officially pronounced.

Oh, one last thing, if you child needs certain medications or inhalers etc, try to get a longer supply if possible. Also I heard a suggestion that people with potentially underlying conditions should speak with their GP about what is the best course of action if they get the Virus.

Plan, Prepare and be careful. Thats all we can all do. We are all responsible for ourselves and our families. I wont apologies to anybody for trying to protect my family and to be quite frank it feels like there is a huge percentage of people still in denial about what is happening.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. Yes I have supplies ready!

Beasty wrote: »
    I think it's fair enough for the IRFU to seek clarification if they have not already been consulted. For all we know it could already have a grip in Ireland by this weekend and such measures may not be achieving much by the following weekend - unless a decision is taken to stop all gatherings of more than a certain number of people, train and air journeys etc

At this moment Covid19 is rampant in Italy so Harris can only work on that. Its a side issue and the overall health of the country is more important.

It seems the HSE is finally waking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

jackboy wrote: »
    Stopping the rugby match is just a PR stunt. If Italians are that risky then ban all flights from Italy now.

You could whataboutery about these kind of measures all day long. There's a difference between so many thousand Italians converging in close quarters versus individual Italian travellers just going about their business.

Fwiw if we were really playing it safe we would look at banning all flights from Italy for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Doesn't matter! When the HSE has anything to say they say absolute nonsense!

The Waterford students returning from northern Italy are told that they don't have to do anything unless they show symptoms.

UNLESS THEY SHOW SYMPTOMS!?!?

WHAT!?

Everyone, and I mean everyone knows that the disease is infectious for up to two weeks before there are any symptoms.

What the ****. Who the hell is running the HSE?

The HSE hierarchy couldn't run a bath. What makes you think after all these years they could suddenly become competent?

And I'm talking about the top level administrators who have been shown to be more than inepts for a long time not the amazing doctors and nurses battling it out on the front line.

In our time of worry I have very little confidence in them.

• Advertisement

I'm fed up of the insinuation from multiple posters that some of us dont care about our vulnerable relatives because we're refusing to buy the scaremongering in this thread.

Where did I say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Minister Harris says the Ireland v Italy game shouldn't go ahead. The IRFU want to know why. Any of you have any idea why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

its quite exhausting to be honest to just see bad news bad news bad news bad news bad news .... I should avoid online news - it's hard though, like looking at a car crash as you pass ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Ludo wrote: »
    You mentioned 50 years old originally. Now changing older to mean over 25. Maybe that is hat you meant but you were not clear. Generally the term older demo would not be associated with 25 year olds or older.

You have to measure death rates across entire populations. Cruise ship has a death rate of 0.5%. Cruise ships have a older demographic than general population hense the 0.5% has to factored down to to around 0.3%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

Possible treatment option:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32075365/

Chloroquine

The 'ol Indian Tonic Water will be making a comeback...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

BanditLuke wrote:
    I've been told they had test kits that turned out to be faulty and of no use and now they are waiting on an updated batch from the UK which they may have taken delivery of today. They are the onsite test kits like the throat swab but these are still very hit and miss. A tracheal aspirate seems to be the best way of quickly determining a positive test for this virus.
    You've been told by who?

What does onsite test kit mean?

How does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I know I shouldn't but it's hard not to giggle just a smidgen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Where did I say that?

I wasnt trying to claim you did, just explaining why I think it's relevant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Beasty wrote: »
    I think it's fair enough for the IRFU to seek clarification if they have not already been consulted. For all we know it could already have a grip in Ireland by this weekend and such measures may not be achieving much by the following weekend - unless a decision is taken to stop all gatherings of more than a certain number of people, train and air journeys etc

Will the majority of Italians with flights and hotels not travel anyway? May as well get away for the few days if home is disturbed.

Bringing any infections held by anyone onto planes, trains, buses, into hotels and pubs etc anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

TomSweeney wrote: »
    its quite exhausting to be honest to just see bad news bad news bad news bad news bad news .... I should avoid online news - it's hard though, like looking at a car crash as you pass ...

A little bit of good news

https://www.wsj.com/articles/drugmaker-moderna-delivers-first-coronavirus-vaccine-for-human-testing-11582579099?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=6

• Advertisement

You've been told by who?

What does onsite test kit mean?

How does it work?

I've a family member who works within the HSE.

Look online I've no time to explain it to you.

As above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

And most of us are sick and tired of people in the throws of denial, constantly downplaying the seriousness of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

TomSweeney wrote: »

I'm checking this thread multiple times per day and reading most pages for over a week now. It's bizarre how some people are so dismissive of this virus.

Even my own brother. He said he doesn't care..nothing big ever happens in Ireland..just a flu..even if it hits here, he said he doesn't care.

I cannot believe how calm and ignorant he is. His knowledge of the virus is the odd headline in the news maybe every couple of days.

Shocking.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I would suggest watching WHO and reputable authority advice on it.

I will give you my Layman take so please find a reputable source to confirm anything you read here.

I think most masks just give people a sense of protection. Its not clear exactly how much, if any, they actually provide. I have bought some masks as I would rather have one and feel a bit better then feel a bit vulnerable. But not just that , where they really do appear to potentially help is if somebody gets infected, they should wear a mask to reduce the spread. I suppose its cause the mask possibly catches alot of their coughing and maybe some of their potential virus that might spread.

Isoloation from the general public seems to be the order of the day in most scenarios. My suggestion is to try and put aside some supplies for a prolonged period of time (up to you how long you think). I would consider the approach that I would want to not HAVE TO go out if I would prefer not to because I know if I get the virus there is a strong chance I might pass it onto my family.

Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3TowZyuIxI for informed information and draw your own conclusions.

The guy speaking even said that when he was working with colleagues they stayed 2 metres apart which suggests they really do think distance from individuals helps. (This is what I will try to do if I get infected and keep my family at a distance).

There are actually masks (non Viral) still available in Woodies , again how reliable they are against this is not clear.

Do not apologize or hesitate to take precautionary measures if you feel your child needs to be protected more then the average child. Nobody here or anywhere knows for sure if this Virus is in Ireland. Based on the information, thats changing quickly, we have no real reasons to be fully confident it is not here already. The best case is that it hasnt been officially pronounced.

Oh, one last thing, if you child needs certain medications or inhalers etc, try to get a longer supply if possible. Also I heard a suggestion that people with potentially underlying conditions should speak with their GP about what is the best course of action if they get the Virus.

Plan, Prepare and be careful. Thats all we can all do. We are all responsible for ourselves and our families. I wont apologies to anybody for trying to protect my family and to be quite frank it feels like there is a huge percentage of people still in denial about what is happening.

One of the most sensible posts on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Any truth to two potential cases in the mater and two at Connolly hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

First case in Germany. What is rest of the EU going to do now the queen is sick? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

joe_99 wrote: »
    You have to measure death rates across entire populations. Cruise ship has a death rate of 0.5%. Cruise ships have a older demographic than general population hense the 0.5% has to factored down to to around 0.3%.

Western populations have a very old average age, Ireland would be similar to the cruise ship. Average Irish person is 37 years old,over 40 in the UK, in much of Eastern and Sourhern Europe and Germany and Japan and Korea the average person is almost 50 years old

givyjoe wrote: »
    And most of us are sick and tired of people in the throws of denial, constantly downplaying the seriousness of this.

If really is pathetic at this stage. Senior health officials the world over are seriously worried but we are meant to talk about what, the weather?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

tom1ie wrote: »
    so what about the people over 50? i take it your under 50?

They've had a good innings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I just went on the H.S.E website to find out what to do in the unfortunate event myself or a family member got covid 19 (better to know what to do i suppose) and this is what it says:

You will only need to be tested for coronavirus if you have symptoms and have in the last 14 days been:

in close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus
    to one of the affected areas
    in a healthcare centre or hospital where patients with coronavirus were being treated

thats grand, but what if you are in contact with someone not showing any symptoms but who transmits the virus?
    i searched the page for a number to ring, as your not supposed to go to a G.P or A+E, but didn't find anything?
    what happens when you ring the hotline (when you find the number) are you visited by a team in hazmat suits and carted off or what?:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement