Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Brian? wrote: »
    A third space is a solution. I agree. Now, how do we police the bathrooms and changing rooms to insure no pretty trans women infiltrate the women’s spaces?

A more pertinent question re safeguarding is how - with unlimited self ID - could one police any intimate public space from ANYONE. Anyone, trans, not trans, woman, man, anyone, including the people with bad intent who we all know exist unless we are imbeciles, can self declare the right to enter all public spaces where others, no matter how young or vulnerable, are in a state of undress and no one has the right to in any manner question their presence. A young girl out for her exercise must simply and limply bow her head and follow in the unknown man into the swimming pool showering area or allow the man to follow her in. No questions allowed. Any man. As Dr. Debbie Hayton, transwoman, says "It is an abuser's charter."

Legally it will probably lead to a myriad of problems just generally though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

A third space is a solution. I agree. Now, how do we police the bathrooms and changing rooms to insure no pretty trans women infiltrate the women’s spaces?

Well, with self-ID, we can’t. Realistically, nobody is going to be able to demand to see a gender recognition cert and I doubt they’d be entitled to ask that of anyone so we can’t really police it. And that is an undeniable loophole that can be exploited.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

markodaly wrote: »
    Are 17 year old girls stupid for feeling uncomfortable sharing hospital wards with strange 60+ year old men?

Nobody is stupid for feeling uncomfortable having to share a space with strangers. Get that out of the way first of all. Now the thing is, in the example you gave, the circumstances of that case were that the male assailant wasn’t even trying to pass themselves off as a woman. There is no reason to suspect or suggest that people who are transgender are more likely than anyone who is not transgender, to commit assault in a shared space. The spaces are shared precisely because there is a resourcing issue, so the idea of a third set of facilities for people who are transgender (technically speaking it would really require a third and fourth set of facilities) at a time when overcrowding in hospitals is already an issue, is something of a non-starter. Such a suggestion would also require an inordinate amount of supervision to ensure the dignity and safety of every individual, and essentially if everyone were to be accommodated, they would require their own individual rooms and facilities. Government has been unable to address the issue of the rising number of patients on trolleys in corridors, so what do you imagine are the chances of them acceding to every individuals particular whims? They’re currently accommodating patients as best they can with what resources they have, and unfortunately that means patients having to share a space with people they otherwise wouldn’t feel comfortable with.

As for the idea of separate public bathroom spaces, again it’s simply a question of resources and balancing that with a responsibility for people’s wishes for complete safety and privacy and so on. I don’t think anyone is in any position to demand that employers and proprietors make any accommodations which are considered unreasonable and they can argue are simply unreasonable based on the fact that the bathrooms are unlikely to be used, given that we know up to this point the majority of people who are transgender have been using public bathrooms without incident, and in only a small minority of cases there have been assaults on women and girls by men who weren’t even claiming to be transgender - they didn’t even have to wear a dress or any of that other nonsense. In that case it can easily be argued that there is no correlation between people who are transgender using public facilities, and the number of assaults on women and girls. We do know that people who are of a mind to assault women and girls will either find or make opportunities for themselves to assault women and girls, but there is no reason to assume that simply because a person is transgender, they are more likely than someone who isn’t transgender, to assault women and girls. Therefore placing restrictions on a minority in society for nothing other than what it is claimed they might do, reasons which are based entirely upon prejudice, is simply unreasonable, unfair, unworkable and unethical.

The public facilities isssue is such a non-starter as far as I am concerned in relation to the much wider discussion of accommodating everyone in society that it simply is hardly worth talking about. People are simply going to use whatever bathroom they’re most comfortable with and that is undoubtedly going to make some people uncomfortable. but given the lack of resources and the lack of public support for the idea of separate spaces at a time when the idea of eliminating single-sex schools and introducing unisex bathrooms in schools is happening, I think it’s far more likely that people who want to be accommodated in single sex spaces are going to feel like they’re losing out. There are still men today who feel as though they are losing out to women in employment and being denied opportunities as a result of measures to promote equality for women in employment. They have no legitimate reason to object, simply based upon their prejudices against women which are completely unfounded. I don’t see why anyone should be denied equal opportunities as anyone else simply on the basis that there is an assumption that they are more likely to commit wrongdoing on the basis of characteristic traits which are protected by anti-discrimination laws. The same anti-discrimination laws already allow for exceptions in circumstances which are determined to be intended to achieve a legitimate aim.

It was long argued for example that Section 37 of the Employment Equally Act allowed for religious organisations to maintain their ethos by discriminating against people on the basis of their sex or gender, until that clause was removed because it was determined to be no longer a legitimate reason to allow religious organisations to discriminate against people on that basis -

Dáil passes Bill to make it illegal to discriminate against LGBT teachers

And if there were a legitimate argument could be made to ensure discrimination against people on an arbitrary basis such as one of the protected characteristics, I might consider supporting it, as I have done in cases previously such as Yanniv and so on. But to arbitrarily discriminate against people as a whole and deny them equal opportunities and call that fair, or suggest that’s more like “equality of outcome”, when circumstances are unequal in the first place? I don’t see attempting to appeal to people’s prejudices and fears as a legitimate reason to place what I consider to be unfair restrictions on anyone.

When I think back on all these decades when Mammies have been fascist bigots bringing their little boys in with them to the ladies changing rooms. Until said boys might be approaching puberty in which case they reluctantly sent them into the mens with stern warnings ringing in their ears. Why were they such bitches? Maybe because the RATE of sex assault is higher among men and they wanted to mind their boys?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Gynoid wrote: »
    I have been left wing on many issues since you were dribbling into your bib. I am just not stupidly so. Biology is real.

Honest question, how do you know what age I am?

Of course biology is real. No one is arguing it isn't. It would be stupid to.

The issue at hand is gender expression, not biology.
    Why would I police them? Just agree with me on something without the reflexive need for snark.

I am pointing out the logical hole here. You want a third space for transgender people to use. How do ensure they use it?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Like..even the fact that the most reasonable (that's not the word I'm looking for..) argument against this involves bringing up the spectre of a sexual assault is f*cking perverse, and kind of shows how this is bringing in this weird discourse..What happened to modesty?..Why can't ladies have their own dressing rooms just in the interest of modesty?..

Of course biology is real. No one is arguing it isn't. It would be stupid to.

Haha..yeah..

Google tells me the idea that gender can be divorced from sex originated in the writings of radical feminists from the 1950s to the 1970s..

Like..even the fact that the most reasonable (that's not the word I'm looking for..) argument against this involves bringing up the spectre of a sexual assault is f*cking perverse, and kind of shows how this is bringing in this weird discourse..What happened to modesty?..Why can't ladies have their own dressing rooms just in the interest of modesty?..

Well, that’s important too but sadly we are dismissed as prudes for that.

I am pointing out the logical hole here. You want a third space for transgender people to use. How do ensure they use it?

There is no hole. Sex self ID does not apply in the single sex spaces. Third spaces - go as you please.

• Advertisement

Well, with self-ID, we can’t. Realistically, nobody is going to be able to demand to see a gender recognition cert and I doubt they’d be entitled to ask that of anyone so we can’t really police it. And that is an undeniable loophole that can be exploited.

Which renders this "solution" pointless imo.

they/them/theirs

Gynoid wrote: »
    There is no hole. Sex self ID does not apply in the single sex spaces. Third spaces - go as you please.

So you want to get rid of self ID?

they/them/theirs

Which renders this "solution" pointless imo.

Yes, allowing those who self-ID into women’s spaces does throw up problems, doesn’t it?

Not wanting those who self-ID as transwomen in women’s spaces =/= thinking people shouldn’t be able to self-ID.

To be fair, I don't think such regulation is really needed. We have an existing system of male/females, where most people respect the different facilities. Some do break the rules, but if there's anyone inside they ask the offender to leave. Simple enough.

There's an assumption here on boards that transgenders who have made the transition are undetectable. They're not. It's only those males with certain prior body types or those with access to the best operations who can pass unnoticed. Most transgenders who do the transition, especially those who have stopped midway, or are going through the transition are easily recognised. Simply asking them to leave would be the same if a standard male entered the female changing rooms. The minority who would be undetectable are a minority of an extreme minority...

Personally, from looking at the photos of the sexual predators, or rapists who have sought to do the transition, they're easily recognised as trans. When it comes to self-id, don't give them access the same way as any other male wouldn't have access. Once a few people have been arrested and charged for breaking the rules, then word will get around. The danger is the demand for equal rights (or superior rights as a minority) which we've seen comes from the legal claims, but honestly, I do think we (as a society and legally) should be dismissing them rather quickly. The longer that we encourage the idea that Transgender people have the same rights for gender specific areas/protections/activities, as the target gender, the worse things are going to get. Transgenders are different. Sorry, but they are. Pretending otherwise is foolish.

You said earlier that nobody is disputing biology. Changing rooms and other gender specific areas are based on biology. The differences in biology. Self-ID haven't transitioned. So, they're biologically male (their original gender), so they should be using the male facilities.

Nobody is telling people that they can't live as self-ID. They can do whatever they wish within the privacy of their own bubble. There is the same expectation for me to do the same as male. It's when that bubble is pushed on to other people that the problems arise. And when those problems arise, they should be treated as a biological male, because they are.

Yes, allowing those who self-ID into women’s spaces does throw up problems, doesn’t it?

It throws up problems for some people, yes. For me, no it doesn't. I am just trying to understand what people see as the alternative.

Not wanting those who self-ID as transwomen in women’s spaces =/= thinking people shouldn’t be able to self-ID.

I know, I asked a clarifying question though.

they/them/theirs

So should we take it Brian that you're all for 12 year old girls getting changed next to grown men who self identify as women?

You said earlier that nobody is disputing biology. Changing rooms and other gender specific areas are based on biology. The differences in biology. Self-ID haven't transitioned. So, they're biologically male (their original gender), so they should be using the male facilities.

Nobody is telling people that they can't live as self-ID. They can do whatever they wish within the privacy of their own bubble. There is the same expectation for me to do the same as male. It's when that bubble is pushed on to other people that the problems arise. And when those problems arise, they should be treated as a biological male, because they are.

Look, I don't know what the answer is. But I don't see restricting trans people from single sex spaces as the answer.

It is far more nuanced than people seem to believe. Look at the pictures 20cent posted earlier, how can you tell those people to use the bathroom of their birth gender exclusviely?

they/them/theirs

So should we take it Brian that you're all for 12 year old girls getting changed next to grown men who self identify as women?

That's entirely up to the 12 year old girl and her parents. There are plenty of 12 year old girls in the world who are naked in front of men regularly without issues.

I am not in a position to tell people how to raise their children. My children wouldn't have an issue with it at all, they do it all the time now when they go swimming.

they/them/theirs

Wtf..

• Advertisement

That's entirely up to the 12 year old girl and her parents. There are plenty of 12 year old girls in the world who are naked in front of men regularly without issues.

I am not in a position to tell people how to raise their children. My children wouldn't have an issue with it at all, they do it all the time now when they go swimming.

Yes, but there are national and historical cultural/social differences. You can't simply wish that people in Spain and Ireland in terms of modesty and attitude would instantly be the same. Many Irish people are uncomfortable with their body and other peoples nudity, in a way that Spanish people wouldn't.

Well, it might not be up to them. They may decide it’s not something they want but still find themselves next to a self-IDing male in a changing room.

Yes, but there are national and historical cultural/social differences. You can't simply wish that people in Spain and Ireland in terms of modesty and attitude would instantly be the same. Many Irish people are uncomfortable with their body and other peoples nudity, in a way that Spanish people wouldn't.

I am fully aware of that. But wouldn't it be better if we were all comfortable being naked around each other?

I don't live in Ireland by the way, so I see this different attitude weekly. I can only see it as positive.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Let's look at the logic here.

If biological males self-identifying as female feel uncomfortable changing in front of men, it's a matter of urgency to grant them access to the women's changing area.

If a 12-year-old girl feels uncomfortable changing in front of biological males, she should be told that plenty of girls elsewhere in the world do it, and she should just get on with it.

Look, I don't know what the answer is. But I don't see restricting trans people from single sex spaces as the answer.

It is far more nuanced than people seem to believe. Look at the pictures 20cent posted earlier, how can you tell those people to use the bathroom of their birth gender exclusviely?

ahh well, I've ignored 20Cent, so nope didn't see the photos. On the other side, I do know Transgeners in Asia who are indistinguishable from anyone else. They've had the best treatment in making the transition.

The problem is the movement to cover every possible angle. Is it fair to everyone? No. It's not. But as in everything in society, the majority should be protected, and the minority should be accommodated to an extent.

Whereas I do see restricting Trans people from gender specific spaces as the answer. Allow biologically born males go to the male changing room, and biologically born females go to the female changing rooms. Those who don't fit into those two categories have to accept that they're seeking to be different, and make their own accommodations. I find it unreasonable that the majority have to make accommodations to an extreme minority that go beyond superficial changes. And access for transgender people to changing rooms, is not a superficial change.

Well, it might not be up to them. They may decide it’s not something they want but still find themselves next to a self-IDing male in a changing room.

True. But I'm still stuck with the solution to it.

they/them/theirs

If biological males self-identifying as female feel uncomfortable changing in front of men, it's a matter of urgency to grant them access to the women's changing area.

If a 12-year-old girl feels uncomfortable changing in front of biological males, she should be told that plenty of girls elsewhere in the world do it, and she should just get on with it.

It's just so f*cking dark..

Yep. That's exactly what I'm saying.

they/them/theirs

It's just so f*cking dark..

Why?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I am fully aware of that. But wouldn't it be better if we were all comfortable being naked around each other?

Perhaps. I generally don't care about another persons nakedness. I've spent time at nudist camps, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. However, I appreciate that many people don't feel that way, and don't want to feel that way.
    I don't live in Ireland by the way, so I see this different attitude weekly. I can only see it as positive.

I don't live in Ireland either normally. I usually live in China, or other Asian countries... and in many cases, they're even more uncomfortable with nudity than Irish people.

The problem with the transgender issue is that changes have to happen now. There's no allowance for the gradual acceptance of society for them. Society, in general, is moving away from the traditional limitations. And given time, people won't be so freaked out by personal space, and nudity (although feminists are pushing for personal spaces so maybe it'll come back stronger than before).

Advertisement