Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

One is based on skin deep differences, the other on significant biological differences. It’s not a good comparison at all.

How does a trans person in a changing room affect the other people there? Anyone who feels uncomfortable is the one with the problem and need to get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

20Cent wrote: »
    How does a trans person in a changing room affect the other people there? Anyone who feels uncomfortable is the one with the problem and need to get over it.

Yeah, a young girl that might uncomfortable with changing next to an unrelated self-identifying biological male just needs to build a bridge, right?

If that happens only rarely, it’s still not right.

Yeah, a young girl that might uncomfortable with changing next to an unrelated self-identifying biological male just needs to build a bridge, right?

If that happens only rarely, it’s still not right.

Why would they feel uncomfortable?

The mind boggles..

The mind boggles..

I don't be looking at lads bits in the changing room. Presume women aren't staring at each other either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Well we’ve finally arrived back to the days of ‘Go on now, don’t be making a show of us. Sure it’s the parish priest’

I’ve explained earlier in the thread - well, given an example. I’m not going to repeat myself.

I’ve explained earlier in the thread - well, given an example. I’m not going to repeat myself.

Don't remember.

Don't remember.

That seems to happen a lot for you on this thread. :pac:

Don't remember.

Well look, the search facility is there if you do want to look back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Hasn't he been ill the last while, why say last few months?

Yes, he has not been really public for the past year or so, yet we still have people triggered by remarks he said ages ago
    For example he is asked about sexual harassment in the workplace. His reply is about women wearing makeup. The interviewer tries to ascertain what his answer means or what we should take from it, he doesn't.

Gibberish, but anyway, that interview was about two years ago, yet here you are still bringing it up.

So, Ill say again. Why are you so tirggered by things he said two years ago?

Interesting.

There was a case in Cork the past few days, about how men and women share wards in Cork University Hospital. This came to light when a 62 year old man sexually assualted a 17 year old girl in 2018.

CUH stressed that such an incident would not happen again and will do their best to segretate wards of people of different sex.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cuh-still-putting-girls-on-wards-with-men-after-assault-982337.html
    The South/South West Hospital Group, which runs CUH, said: “The sharing of wards between male and female patients is not common practice. However, this can arise in terms of Intensive Care Units and Observation Units for clinical reasons. Patients under the age of 16 years are always accommodated in pediatric wards.”
    In his summing up, the judge said: “You have to question in circumstances like this what management was doing. You have to question the management of the ward system. There appears to be no system of management or supervision.”

And the penny drops...
    Cork University Hospital (CUH) still places teenage girls in some wards with adult men.

Dare I say it, young teenage girls may find it very uncomfortable sharing wards or similar places like toilets and dressing rooms with strange older men.
    But then, you are not a girl. So maybe take a hike from your incessant whataboutery.

markodaly wrote: »
    Yes, he has not been really public for the past year or so, yet we still have people triggered by remarks he said ages ago

Gibberish, but anyway, that interview was about two years ago, yet here you are still bringing it up.

So, Ill say again. Why are you so tirggered by things he said two years ago?

Would people ever stop using the word ‘triggered’? People are reminded of things because the internet is forever. Some people might hear the thing from two years ago more recently and they are reacting to it. Since when did reacting to something become being triggered? Is everyone that reacts to something triggered? Are you being triggered here by responding to that other poster?

But, yes, Peterson was indeed talking gibberish about workplace sexual harassment and actually letting the side down a bit on men by implying that they can’t control themselves around make-up-wearing and/or high-heeled women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Comparing trans people to sheep and pigs.
    Well done folks showing yourselves up there.

Wonder where this bigotry come from?
    Not licked off stones.
    Influential people like Peterson have a responsibility.
    You know, maybe people have an issue with you making stuff up, coming across as a pompous ass, a total lack of empathy towards women who don’t wish to share changing facilities with men/trans..... than having an issue with a transgender, which you wish to take as a personal slight each and every time.

I can understand that transgenders do have it tough in comparison to the average person who doesn’t have to deal with the same level of issues. And resentment builds up. But largely in this country, we’ve made progress and it’s improving. But the extremism on the left, has pushed many left leaning people away. It’s a constant moan these days, a constant demand, often without consideration for others.

Most of the people you are battling with in this thread (from what I’ve read), appear to left leaning, appear to be sympathetic to a point (cause many people have their own issues to deal with as well). But you push them away.

I don’t think this will resonate with you. You seem stubborn and have a preconceived mindset which won’t budge. Maybe it’s due to the difficulties you’ve encountered, but if you continue to flay out, it hurts the cause.

But, yes, Peterson was indeed talking gibberish about workplace sexual harassment and actually letting the side down a bit on men by implying that they can’t control themselves around make-up-wearing and/or high-heeled women.

I think his point was that its a hell of a lot more complicated than out of control men oggling women in make-up and high heals, when you factor in that make-up and high heals themselves have physiological conotations in finding a mate, from a evolutionary point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who create problems and those who find solutions. We could do with fewer of the former and more of the latter.

There's a third. People who seek-out issues to whinge about that have no impact on their real-world lives.

I don't have much of an opinion on trans issues because it has no bearing on my life. My niece knew a trans person at school - that's how far removed it is from me.

I think his point was that its a hell of a lot more complicated than out of control men oggling women in make-up and high heals, when you factor in that make-up and high heals themselves have physiological conotations in finding a mate, from a evolutionary point of view.

Make up and high heels do make women look more appealing, but why should that matter to any respectful guy? He’ll think in his head “Damn, she looks good”. No harm done. Wearing high heels and make up in no way justifies workplace sexual harassment and honestly, a guy who is a workplace harasser probably doesn’t need much encouragement. A man isn’t going to be turned into a harasser by the sight of a reddened lip and if that’s what Peterson suggesting, he has a pretty low opinion of menfolk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I don't have much of an opinion on trans issues because it has no bearing on my life.

I don't know any gay people, but I still voted for same sex marriage.

Because it doesn't matter whether I know them personally or not, they are still human.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

There was a case in Cork the past few days, about how men and women share wards in Cork University Hospital.

Irrelevant to the larger topic at hand, but my elderly aunt and father both spent much of the Christmas period bouncing between various A&Es and wards in 4 different hospitals across Dublin and Louth. Most wards they passed through were mixed, and that's not to mention the trolley-in-corridor situation.

My aunt (92) in particular was not best pleased, but the explanation was extreme pressure on beds rather than ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

bluewolf wrote: »
    they do
    so are intersex people

intersex people are simultaneously a fig leaf AND a banana skin for trans activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Who are you, or anyone else to declare that?

I couldn't care less who sees me naked, i'd get changed in the middle of O'Connell street and it wouldn't bother me. My daughter however would rather be dead than some stranger see her changing - man or woman, people are different.

Why should the feelings of a trans person trump the feeling of a non trans person?

Why does this need to "just get over" your discomfort not extend to trans people?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why does this need to "just get over" your discomfort not extend to trans people?
    because they are a protected class. your daughter is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

because they are a protected class. your daughter is not.

Is it just me or does that type of equality seem a bit, well, unequal!

You have to realise when you're arguing with the likes of 20cent, that you're not having a discussion, he's pushing an agenda..any glaring holes in logic, or questionable morality, are ignored. It doesn't matter what you say, he'll be back tomorrow pushing the same thing. The aim is to use the idea of compassion to get people one by one to accept whatever ideological position, or just to open to it some bit, and next thing it's mandatory..

"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I don't have much of an opinion on trans issues because it has no bearing on my life.

Good for you.

In this thread, we have people proposing that every public-facing bathroom setup in the country needs to be modified to accommodate trans people. If you were the owner of a restaurant, coffee shop, etc., it might start affecting you very quickly. If the activists get their way, small business owners will face thousands in renovation costs.

We have 20Cent now stating that girls and women should have no expectation of privacy in changing rooms. As far as he's concerned, if my 11-year-old daughter feels uncomfortable getting undressed in front of adult strangers with penises, that's her problem. As a dad, I feel differently.

On this very website, you can be threatened with infractions, bans, etc., for refusing to refer to a trans person by their preferred pronouns — i.e., identifying a biological male as she, if that is "her" preferred pronoun. This amounts to compelling people to identify biological males as ontologically female. Again, this affects quite a few posters, who simply don't accept that a male can become female by way of self-identification.

Make up and high heels do make women look more appealing, but why should that matter to any respectful guy? He’ll think in his head “Damn, she looks good”. No harm done. Wearing high heels and make up in no way justifies workplace sexual harassment and honestly, a guy who is a workplace harasser probably doesn’t need much encouragement. A man isn’t going to be turned into a harasser by the sight of a reddened lip and if that’s what Peterson suggesting, he has a pretty low opinion of menfolk.

Okay. I know long posts tend to be ignored, but it's gotta be done, and hopefully, you'll appreciate what I mean by this.

Let's break this down a little, because there is a tendency to make this incredibly simple and so remove the factors that influence what happens.

When we look at the two genders and consider that there are differences which could be biological, or cultural, it's obvious to note that there are indeed differences. Some people want to suggest that there are none, but I suspect that's more about what the genders could possibly evolve towards rather than acknowledging the differences that exist today. One of the differences is sexual attraction, and how that is formed or recognised.

First off, is to acknowledge the separation of conscious and subconscious behavior. Subconscious being the automatic behavior that is generally out of the control of the conscious mind, although the creation of habits can limit the freedom that the subconscious has. I doubt you need a definition of those two areas of consciousness. We tend to train our subconscious through the experiences of our lives coupled with any conditioning from areas such as morality, parenting, etc but it's a very inaccurate system unless there is dedicated and intentional attempts to introduce habits.

When it comes to sexual attraction, there are differences in how the two genders behave. Perhaps it's due to the difference in the physical bodies and what is considered attractive, but the physical attractiveness of the female body tends to be stronger than the male body. Males when aroused will have a sure sign in the stiffening of the penis to let them know of their attraction on a sexual level. Females have the hardening of nipples, or I've heard "becoming wet" (but I don't know if that's accurate). The point for males though is that they have a very strong reminder throughout their lives when sexual attraction occurs, and that does have an impact on their development, and how they perceive their desired gender. From what I've read, or spoken to females, females don't have a similar physical messaging system.. at least, it doesn't happen as often as it does for males.

Most males will have random thoughts about sex many times daily. All the males, except for two guys, who I've had this conversation admitted to such thoughts. They're unasked for, they're not something they go seeking, they're just thoughts that pop up. That doesn't mean they dwell on the thoughts, but it does mean that sex (or the sexual attraction of a females' behavior) is a common occurrence. Most males learn to block out these thoughts, but many others (either due to environmental concerns, or experience) don't. They might dwell on them (I did as a teenager), and allow them to cause frustration. Actual physical frustration, which is why there's so much emphasis on male masturbation, but masturbation is often shown as a negative thing. I know guys who were physically beaten by their parents when they were caught masturbating, and still feel guilt when they **** (or can't do it all).

The next point is about the subconscious. Looking at a woman's appearance, although generally it's about the actual body. Stealing glances at the body. If a woman is wearing clothes that is revealing (dependent on the cultural background of the male), he'll look at the revealed areas. It's not intentional (although it can be), but generally, there's an uncontrollable desire to see some flesh, especially when it comes to breasts, or the upper parts of the thighs. Even though, I've worked on creating habits to control, and not look, I still do it. It's not sexual as such. There's no intention, but it's something that slips by my behavioral controls. (to my knowledge from conversations with women, they don't have any similar appreciation of the male body, but will sometimes do it regarding another female)

A lot of female fashions take note of these factors, and take advantage of them. Sheer clothes which can show the shape, but not give a clear definition of the body part, is very enticing to some. Hot pants, with the cuts, so high to show the upper thighs, and emphasize the shape of the vagina. Short skirts which have males automatically looking to catch a glance at her underwear, even though, there's no actual desire to see anything. I could list two dozens aspects of female fashion which reveals the body in different ways, and how it would affects many males. And it's intentional. Fashion designers know that their designs have this affect on males, because women want to feel desired. Most women (traditionally) wanted the attention. Nowadays, there's the expectation that a female should wear whatever she wants, and the male should just know (somehow) what she wants from them, or doesn't want from them. Irrespective of why, or the manner in which the fashion style affects males, females should be able to wear them... but it conveniently ignores conditioning, and basic biological reflexes.

The next problem is knowing what females want. We're not mind readers. Different women want different things and what they want can change quite often, even within minutes. Many females seem to believe that a male should just know what the female wants. Some males might get lucky with their assumptions, but most are guessing.. and guesses are often wrong. Judging a woman by her appearance (clothes, makeup, behavior) is the way that most males will seek to understand a female, and what she wants. Many women seem to think that females are very direct in saying what they want, but alas, that's not often true. There are many sets of behavior, along with degrees of confidence, so it makes it difficult to create a base template to follow. Speaking as a bisexual male, I find females more mercurial than males, with males being very easy to read... not so with most females.

You're correct in thinking at a respectful male aren't a problem. Most guys aren't. Oh sure, most guys will have an experience in their lives where they harassed a female, felt bad, and used it as a template for not doing it again. Whereas others will have done that, and used it as a template for some other behavior. I don't really know. I'm very uncomfortable with feeling like I'm pushing myself on other people... but there is a learning process involved, and some people learn slower than others. And some don't want to learn.

I could write a lot more, but there's little point. The truth is that female fashion (in terms of clothes, and makeup) were designed to affect males both consciously and subconsciously. The use of perfume is a great example. In most cases, it's not the female intention about wearing the clothes that's important, it's the effect (intentional or unintentional) that is important. Many females these days, want to wear whatever they want but pretend that the influence of the style is dependent on whether they want the attention. Like there's an on/off switch that they can press depending on their feeling at any given time, and worse yet, that they can have it turned on for one individual male, and be turned off for another individual. It's unrealistic, and impractical.

The problem is that many women want to remove their own responsibility in choosing what they wear, and how they behave. Oh, I'm not denying that males have a responsibility not to be a dick... but there is responsibility on both sides. Many females want to behave any which way, regardless of the traditional consequences of that behavior. Wear sexy clothes, drink like crazy, and be very touchy with strangers in a bar? Those are the signals that she's looking for companionship. She might not be, but most guys (and girls) in a room will think that she is. There's no way to read her mind... so people judge by appearance. Females these days want to remove responsibility for their appearance and the message it sends to males... It's not going to work. Sorry. I genuinely wish that it could work... but I don't think it will. Women will continue to be hassled by nice and bad guys because of their appearance, because the baseline behavior/intention changes so much depending on the individual but the fashion remains the same.

Um.. this is getting too long. haha. I think Peterson was reaching out to the generation of males who have very little experience with females. Many millennial's in the US don't have a relationship or even lose their virginity until they're in their mid-20s. We learn how to behave mostly through experience. Reading or learning from others only goes so far. Direct personal experience is king. And many people nowadays due to dating apps (which emphasize physical beauty which most of us don't have), social media, etc don't get much experience with their preferred gender. There's little chance to experiment with dating in school/university when these things are supposed to happen (and US universities are probably now the worst place to try to learn these things).

So, I suspect such behavior is likely to get worse, not better. Society is changing, becoming less tolerant of people making mistakes, and removing the places/opportunities for many people to learn these things for themselves.

Lastly, none of this is seeking to excuse/justify a rapist, molester, harasser, or anyone who is forceful against another person's wishes. I find that people want to dumb down human social interaction, and human biology. To make it so simple that it removes all the confusing factors that make life so damn complicated. White wash the whole area. Wishing something is better doesn't make it better. And limiting our appreciation for human behavior because it is complicated, uncomfortable, bizarre, etc is dangerous.

[Oh. And when people decide to take me apart... quote the whole paragraph. I have no intention of responding to anyone who takes something out of context. --- and don't go nuts because I didn't say "some" women and "some" men everywhere. Generalisations abound. Oh.. and it's not close to perfect.. be a little patient. I didn't want to write too much more.. and yet, to be clear would need a lot more writing. Life is so Hard! :D]

If you find yourself or your children sharing a changing room with a trans person here are some easy steps if you feel uncomfortable. First buy a lotto ticket because the chances are incredibly slim.

Don't go near them get changed away from them.
    Get changed in the toilet cubicle.
    Don't look at them, like people have always done no need to be looking at someone's bits.
    If that's too much wait five minutes until they are finished.

If you think they are going to attack you then also stay away from all family members because they are far more likely to do that than a trans person.

If you are still uncomfortable maybe talk to the person, introduce yourself and say hello.

If any or all of the above are too much then you have an irrational fear of trans people. A phobia so to speak and educate yourself or get therapy for it.

If you find yourself or your children sharing a changing room with a trans person here are some easy steps if you feel uncomfortable. First buy a lotto ticket because the chances are incredibly slim.

The chances of encountering a transgender who has done the physical transition is rare (for now), but the chance of meeting someone who identifies themselves as the other gender are much higher. You, yourself, have stated that such people should not be treated any differently that those who have made the physical transformation, and so they'll gain access to female only changing rooms too.

TBH I find your inability to sympathise with the females who find this uncomfortable or worrying, disturbing. You're so hellbent on giving transgenders full access to gender specific areas, that you have no issue with trampling over their rights.

It's been asked a few times, and you've always skipped past it. Why do transgenders, as a minority, receive so much priority in their wants over the majority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Don't go near them get changed away from them.
    Get changed in the toilet cubicle.
    Don't look at them, like people have always done no need to be looking at someone's bits.
    If that's too much wait five minutes until they are finished.

If you think they are going to attack you then also stay away from all family members because they are far more likely to do that than a trans person.

If you are still uncomfortable maybe talk to the person, introduce yourself and say hello.

If any or all of the above are too much then you have an irrational fear of trans people. A phobia so to speak and educate yourself or get therapy for it.
    What you don't understand, and what you are blind to see, is that you are part of the problem. You can be as smug as you like, and be as ignorant as you wish, but you hurt the cause which you seem to fight for.
    Keep pushing left leaning people away, continue being an aggressive individual who throws "phobia" around and shows little to no sympathy for others. Trump and his ilk are feeding off people like you, it's such a shame.
    I'm out of this thread, have no time for hate fueled people like you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Peterson is clearly saying that women entered the workforce en masse only about 40 years ago, and that we're still "ironing out the rules" for how men and women should coexist in the professional work space.

I don't think most people would disagree with that. Feminists have spent decades fighting for or refining workplace rules around discrimination, equal pay, maternity leave, sexual harassment, and so on and so forth.

Extended ongoing debates take place about appropriate professional attire. I personally worked in a company that didn't have a specific dress code — but in the summer, many young women would come to work wearing short dresses or skirts, tops that showed cleavage, tank tops, visible bra straps, etc. One day, a female vice president called all female staff into a meeting and laid down the law about what was and wasn't acceptable. That was entirely coming from a woman.

Advertisement