Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Realistically how often does this happen?

How many anatomically male sex offenders would have to be incarcerated in women's prisons for you to take it seriously?
    To be very honest, in all my time in LGBTQ groups and of the trans people I've come across, a small percentage of them have any interest in sport.

How many anatomical males would have to dominate women's sports for you to take it seriously?

The mother of a female Connecticut high-school athlete writes:
    Since 2017, our state’s high-school athletic conference has allowed biological boys to compete against girls. It’s enough that they subjectively identify as female. Since then, two biological boys have won 15 women’s track championships, titles held by nine different girls in 2016.

Not only that, the same two biological boys have taken away more than 50 chances for girls to compete at the next level of competition, running these girls right off the track and forcing them to be spectators in their own sport.

Of course, there's no real problem here because, according to you, trans individuals generally aren't all that interested in sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

How many anatomically male sex offenders would have to be incarcerated in women's prisons for you to take it seriously?

How many anatomical males would have to dominate women's sports for you to take it seriously? The mother of a Connecticut athlete writes:

Of course, there's no real problem here because, according to you, trans individuals generally aren't all that interested in sports.

Well Permabear how many trans people do you know that are interested in sport from your own personal experience? Is it possible that you're reading a little too much into 1 or 2 stories and you've reached the conclusion that it's a pandemic? Infact would you say that, by and large, you never encounter a transgender person in your life, and, chances are, when you do, you don't even notice? That this sport, prison and bathroom problem is barely a problem at all in the grand scheme of things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Well it took a man to be woman of the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well Permabear how many trans people do you know that are interested in sport from your own personal experience?

How many does it take? As the article notes, two anatomical males have won 15 women’s track championships in the state of Connecticut since 2017.

What incentive does that give girls to train hard for years and do their very best at their sport, knowing that there's a good likelihood they'll be beaten in the championship race by a boy?

This is taking equality of opportunity away from girls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Sporting bodies have rules about trans athletes.
    It's not an insurmountable problem or a reason to discriminate.

20Cent wrote: »

I feel like a lot of people wish that they did not have those rules as it's just a facade to attack a minority with.

Biological male athlete Andraya Yearwood shows those Connecticut girls how it's done:

dbpz5nywaaa9uzc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Asked you several times to name a single example of a trans athlete competing causing controversy in Ireland and you haven't named a single instance. Asked you if a person who has legally assumed a different gender should be granted access to that bathroom, still no response.

Do we have to wait for these things to happen? If it’s becoming a problem elsewhere, why would Ireland be exempt? Why not take preventative measures?

• Advertisement

Well, the IOC tried to row back on the recent changes they made without success. For the 2020 games, all they require is a reduction in testosterone. All other physical advantages remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The sport thing is just idiotic - what kind of arsehole feels good about themselves winning a race with an 'enhanced chassis' as it were. Can they not create a 'born female' category to flush these people out of women's sport?

The sport thing is just idiotic - what kind of arsehole feels good about themselves winning a race with an 'enhanced chassis' as it were. Can they not create a 'born female' category to flush these people out of women's sport?

That's what they had..

bluewolf wrote: »
    back to trolling?

Already established that this has not been an issue in Ireland. Already established that any sporting event worth anything at all has measures in place that all athletes must fall in line with.

TCan they not create a 'born female' category to flush these people out of women's sport?

No, because a trans woman is just as much of a woman as someone who was born female — if you disagree you're a transphobic bigot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Already established that this has not been an issue in Ireland. Already established that any sporting event worth anything at all has measures in place that all athletes must fall in line with.

already established that you said you agreed it doesn't work but now you're back to accusing everyone of 'attacking a minority' for feeling the same way. and 'i'm gay but i have encountered women' is what, a wind up?

test levels 2-3x of what any woman would have, and nothing about bone density and all the over advantages of male puberty

already established that you said you agreed it doesn't work but now you're back to accusing everyone of 'attacking a minority' for feeling the same way

I agree that any athlete competing in an event must fall in line with the rules and regulations of an event. A man turning up one day to a ladies marathon, declaring himself to be a woman to allow him to compete (by the way, the chances of this actually happening are basically minuscule and it feels ridiculous even writing it but apparently this is what some people fear the most!) would fall foul of the sporting bodies regulations. A trans person who has undergone a medical transition and who falls in line with the sporting bodies regulations is free to compete.

Already established that this has not been an issue in Ireland.

No coronavirus deaths in Ireland, either. Absolutely nothing to worry about then.

the first line of that video is 'i've been told i'm transphobic for liking vagina. who i date is not up for debate'. also followed by 'trans women are women'
    seems to be a clickbait title. top comment replies from trans women in full agreement with the message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dumQfzcrOzk

exactly the same message that got her deplatformed from pride, it looks like

That is a great pithy slogan because here’s the thing: dating is discriminatory by its nature. NOBODY has to justify who they will or won’t date. “I don’t want to date you” is all the explanation anyone is entitled to. That anyone thinks they can question other people’s dating preferences is unbelievable.

But you see, now even biological sex is coming under attack. This is where intersex people get used as examples (even though they can’t change how they were born either).

• Advertisement

No coronavirus deaths in Ireland, either. Absolutely nothing to worry about then.

Have you cut yourself off from the outside world by quarantining yourself yet? Because, if not, maybe you're at risk of catching the coronavirus, and if you care so much about it maybe that's what you should do. Equally, I look forward to seeing so many avid female sports fans discuss female sports in the designated forums over the next few months.

That is a great pithy slogan because here’s the thing: dating is discriminatory by its nature. NOBODY has to justify who they will or won’t date. “I don’t want to date you” is all the explanation anyone is entitled to. That anyone thinks they can question other people’s dating preferences is unbelievable.

It sure is unbelievable.
    It's probably about three people in the world saying they should. Using it as an excuse discriminate is bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

“Yeah but how many people do that”?
    There’s 2 women’s prisons in Ireland. All it takes is 2 men to identify as women to affect the entire female prison population of the country. So that’s just one more...

They already are.

They already are what? Born without sex?
    No one is suggesting that.

I recall seeing some official literature on cervical cancer screening in Ireland that did not mention the word ‘woman’ once. I believe the same has happened in the UK. “What’s the problem?” one might ask. Well, this is about awareness, reaching people. The message shouldn’t be diluted.

OK then in a non confrontational way as somebody who has supported gay rights and who probably would consider himself a gay ally, where do you stand on trans rights?

Quick edit: I'm not trying to lure you into a trap with the question, I'm genuinely curious coming at it from an angle of if you're liberal enough to have fought for gay rights, I'd just like to know why are trans rights a step too far for you.

Missed this. The trans right I take issue with are those that clash with the rights of others.

Missed this. The trans right I take issue with are those that clash with the rights of others.

OK so what rights do you believe that they clash with?

They already are what? Born without sex?

Yes they are called intersex.
    Some are born with ambiguous genitalia as well.

There is a famous case of twin boys.
    There was an accident when circumcising one of them so the doctor castrated him and made a vagina. He was raised a a girl but when he reached puberty rejected anything feminine and was suicidal with depression. Being male of female isn't down to just genitals.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-11814300
    I recall seeing some official literature on cervical cancer screening in Ireland that did not mention the word ‘woman’ once. I believe the same has happened in the UK. “What’s the problem?” one might ask. Well, this is about awareness, reaching people. The message shouldn’t be diluted.

Whats that got to do with the subject at hand?

Well Permabear how many trans people do you know that are interested in sport from your own personal experience? Is it possible that you're reading a little too much into 1 or 2 stories and you've reached the conclusion that it's a pandemic? Infact would you say that, by and large, you never encounter a transgender person in your life, and, chances are, when you do, you don't even notice? That this sport, prison and bathroom problem is barely a problem at all in the grand scheme of things?

Again, you’re missing the point. There doesn’t have to be many transgender athletes for things to be skewed. Seeing a doughy man top a podium beside honed women neatly highlights this.

Again, you’re missing the point. There doesn’t have to be many transgender athletes for things to be skewed. Seeing a doughy man top a podium beside honed women neatly highlights this.

No come back to the other question about what rights would be infringed do you think by giving trans people full rights?

• Advertisement

No come back to the other question about what rights would be infringed do you think by giving trans people full rights?

the more original question was what rights are they being denied

Advertisement