Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration authorities raid places of employment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Social welfare payments
    During the same search, DEASP officers suspended a number of payments, including Disability Allowance, Rent Supplement and Child Benefit, as a result of this operation and estimated that the State made potential savings of €100,000.
    The second search operation was conducted on Tuesday, 11 February. Members of the GNIB accompanied officers from the WRC and DEASP to search the offices and warehouse of a meat processing company in Co Meath.

🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If only they'd put up check points for taxi drivers, pretty sure it's endemic in the taxi industry, and ALL taxi drivers are supposed to carry their SPSV identity cards ( not the ones on the dash but the "smart" credit card size ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I think this is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Spook_ie wrote: »
    If only they'd put up check points for taxi drivers, pretty sure it's endemic in the taxi industry, and ALL taxi drivers are supposed to carry their SPSV identity cards ( not the ones on the dash but the "smart" credit card size ones.

Heard of a checkpoint, a couple of months ago, late one night in Eyre Sq.

There was panic among the taxi drivers trying to get out of the area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

It is also abused here lately. I work in the equestrian field with liveries' woman I called out for abusing he horse ended up calling immigration saying I was here illegal and working, They show up demanding my card and proof of address which I have. She is standing there all smug and after they reviewing my paperwork, they told her to cop on and stop wasting time. So what I've learned it's not down to be brown here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

It is also abused here lately. I work in the equestrian field with liveries' woman I called out for abusing he horse ended up calling immigration saying I was here illegal and working, They show up demanding my card and proof of address which I have. She is standing there all smug and after they reviewing my paperwork, they told her to cop on and stop wasting time. So what I've learned it's not down to be brown here.

Unfortunately you'll find that the class of people who make up the horse racing industry in this country look down on the rest of Irish society like **** on their shoe. Kudos to you. You kept your cool and immigration told her to **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

So what I've learned it's not down to be brown here.
    So you've learned that after ONE woman called immigration on you, and then she was told to cop on by the same authorities, that's it's not down to be brown in this country.

That's a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,263 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tip of the iceberg, when you keep your head buried in the sand you won't find any crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tjdaly

These people should be shipped out and never allowed back, no matter their background or sob story. Ship out the kids. Ship out the grannies. Ship out anyone that harbored them or employed them. We need more doctors and nurses from South East Asia and India, not more layabouts and W*A*S*T*E*R*S (we have enough of them in the Irish population already).

Kivaro wrote: »
    So you've learned that after ONE woman called immigration on you, and then she was told to cop on by the same authorities, that's it's not down to be brown in this country.

That's a bit odd.

To be honest I have loads of others stories based on my skin tone.That one is the only one I chose to share. And you dismissing the one I shared speaks volumes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Good to see a crack down on people in the state illegally.

https://www.thejournal.ie/warehouses-searched-immigration-legislation-5010047-Feb2020/

The question is, will the 11 people given deportation orders actually end up deported?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

To be honest I have loads of others stories based on my skin tone.That one is the only one I chose to share. And you dismissing the one I shared speaks volumes.

He/she didn't dismiss your story, as I read it.

Rather dismissed the ridiculous conclusion you drew from the evidence you provided.

No ?

He/she didn't dismiss your story, as I read it.

Rather dismissed the ridiculous conclusion you drew from the evidence you provided.

No ?

No, because to me it's proven on a daily basis. If you want to dismiss it as bull**** go ahead but doesn't mean it's not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Ah play me a song on the worlds smallest violin. Jesus wept, poor you. There are bullies all over the world in every country in every industry. You claim to have been picked on because of your colour, people get picked on for being fat, thin,tall, short any number of things. But I'm really tired of people playing the race card in this country. Don't like it, explore other options for working or living, but don't tar the people of this country as racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The question is, will the 11 people given deportation orders actually end up deported?

Not before many solicitors and barristers make a small fortune appealing their deportation orders.

The system is seriously flawed in this country. A deportation order should be final, no appeal process or delay. If you have not been able to provide documentation or proof to show you have a right to stay here then that should be it. Appeals at huge cost to the state shouldn’t be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

tjdaly wrote: »
    These people should be shipped out and never allowed back, no matter their background or sob story. Ship out the kids. Ship out the grannies. Ship out anyone that harbored them or employed them. We need more doctors and nurses from South East Asia and India, not more layabouts and W*A*S*T*E*R*S (we have enough of them in the Irish population already).

If they were arrested at a place of work how would they be layabouts or wasters?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Ah play me a song on the worlds smallest violin. Jesus wept, poor you. There are bullies all over the world in every country in every industry. You claim to have been picked on because of your colour, people get picked on for being fat, thin,tall, short any number of things. But I'm really tired of people playing the race card in this country. Don't like it, explore other options for working or living, but don't tar the people of this country as racist.

Give over. They said that they had experienced racism in Ireland, not that all Irish people are racist. There’s a difference like. There are people in Ireland who are xenophobic and thick and abuse people for that reason, they exist like; we’ve all met one.

Someone should be allowed race that without effectively told to ‘f*ck off back to your own country’.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

The number of illegal migrants working in the taxi industry is staggering, not that Ireland has any investigative journalists who are willing to blow the lid on this scam for fear of being called "racist" by a hippy in Galway. Fair play to these Dublin taxi drivers. Citizens need to take matters into their own hands. The authorities are too slow to kick these illegals out of the country.

https://www.facebook.com/YellowVestIreland/videos/430823237547394/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Spook_ie wrote: »

half the taxis in dublin would be off the road if they did that!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Good to see a crack down on people in the state illegally.

It is.... but I doubt the authorities are proactively doing anything.
    I imagine it was some co-worker who reported them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Hit a few kebab shops

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

half the taxis in dublin would be off the road if they did that!

Which would do more for road safety than all those extra speed check zones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

FTA69 wrote: »
    Give over. They said that they had experienced racism in Ireland, not that all Irish people are racist. There’s a difference like. There are people in Ireland who are xenophobic and thick and abuse people for that reason, they exist like; we’ve all met one.

Someone should be allowed race that without effectively told to ‘f*ck off back to your own country’.

He said: "So what I've learned it's not down to be brown here."
    Just on the story he told us, that one woman, according to his story, represents all of us.

He could have easily said: "So what I've learned it's not down to be brown to some people here."
    But he didn't because it's easier to tar us all with the same brush, and it is important that we call that crap out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

I did not say fook off back to your own country as I don't know whether that poster was born in Ireland or abroad. What I'm angry about is the gob****es who get served a glass of Ribena in a hotel and shout racism and try to destroy the reputation of a hotel. The race baiters who come here looking for racism and finding it were none exists. If Ireland is such a racist country why do we have the highest number of asylum requests in Europe. Why are applications for asylum rising here when they are falling all over Europe?

Give me a break with all this crap. We know nothing about the poster, for all we know they could be an obnoxious arsehole who pushed the person who reported them to Immigration to do it or they could be a lovely person who didn't deserve it. We don't know, I'm not gullible enough to believe someone is telling the truth on the basis of their skin not being the same colour as mine. This country has bent over backwards to make people from ethnic minorities feel welcome, Christ, even Irish Rail have an African family boarding a train as representative of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The man was reported to immigration and had people show up, due to the colour of his skin. I might be a bit p*ssed off myself if that happened. I can't believe people are giving him sh*t over this.

Anyway. You'd be hard pressed to get your chicken balls and curry sauce delivered ever again if they really did crack down on illegals in places of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The man was reported to immigration and had people show up, due to the colour of his skin. I might be a bit p*ssed off myself if that happened. I can't believe people are giving him sh*t over this

I sometimes get a savage tan myself but general aesthetics state I’m irish. Or at least not, of, certain continents.... there’s got to be more to it than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

If they were arrested at a place of work how would they be layabouts or wasters?

They aren’t wasters. Far from it.

As an employer, lads coming here on student visas etc are great grafters. But they can only work twenty hours per week and forty during their holidays etc.

This isn’t explained to them properly, in my experience, when they are obtaining their student visas.

I have hired three recently for part time positions. Two from Brazil and one girl from Mexico. Two have since left purely because I wasn’t able to give them full time hours. They were surprised at this for some reason but the law is the law.

Allowing in a lot of young people from relatively low wage countries with the impression they can learn English, work full time, save a few bob and have a nice few years in Europe isn’t being nice to them.

All three will end up working illegally or having to go home after spending a few grand on college fees, a large chunk on health insurance and relocating costs. 20 hours per week at €11.50 will only afford you a shared bed and subsistence money.

The student visa is a huge scam and it’s not being kind to lads to allow them over under false impressions and false hopes. None had more than two grand in their bank account and were all under pressure. The government should be ensuring that they have a large wad of available cash to finance their stay before approving their visas.

The language visa route is the biggest source of overstayers and illegals in the country. Most will have PPSN so they will be paying tax too. Revenue don’t give a damn about their status and won’t liaise with INIS or the GNIB if a lad is paying his taxes.

The whole system needs to be overhauled and it’s why we see a dozen poor sods living in two or three bed properties all across the Dublin. I expect it’s the same in urban areas across Ireland.

I’m relatively anti mass immigration myself but felt very sorry for all three. Great young people and I just thought how worried their families back home would be if they knew of their situation. If I could have done more for them, legally, I would have. Many an Irish emigrant was in a similar bind.

It’s a mess.

No, because to me it's proven on a daily basis. If you want to dismiss it as bull**** go ahead but doesn't mean it's not there.

I am sorry to hear of your experiences. Having an opinion that goes against the grain about immigration is perfectly fine. Those opinions should never be negatively expressed to the individuals who migrate here, but to those in charge who make the rules and who are responsible for the shambles of a system in place. The vast, vast majority who immigrate here do so legally and are well within their rights to be treated the same as the rest of us. Play the ball, not the man.

I hope you enjoy your life in Ireland and that you don’t experience anymore of that unpleasantness.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yesto24

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    They aren’t wasters. Far from it.

As an employer, lads coming here on student visas etc are great grafters. But they can only work twenty hours per week and forty during their holidays etc.

This isn’t explained to them properly, in my experience, when they are obtaining their student visas.

I have hired three recently for part time positions. Two from Brazil and one girl from Mexico. Two have since left purely because I wasn’t able to give them full time hours. They were surprised at this for some reason but the law is the law.

Allowing in a lot of young people from relatively low wage countries with the impression they can learn English, work full time, save a few bob and have a nice few years in Europe isn’t being nice to them.

All three will end up working illegally or having to go home after spending a few grand on college fees, a large chunk on health insurance and relocating costs. 20 hours per week at €11.50 will only afford you a shared bed and subsistence money.

The student visa is a huge scam and it’s not being kind to lads to allow them over under false impressions and false hopes. None had more than two grand in their bank account and were all under pressure. The government should be ensuring that they have a large wad of available cash to finance their stay before approving their visas.

The language visa route is the biggest source of overstayers and illegals in the country. Most will have PPSN so they will be paying tax too. Revenue don’t give a damn about their status and won’t liaise with INIS or the GNIB if a lad is paying his taxes.

The whole system needs to be overhauled and it’s why we see a dozen poor sods living in two or three bed properties all across the Dublin. I expect it’s the same in urban areas across Ireland.

I’m relatively anti mass immigration myself but felt very sorry for all three. Great young people and I just thought how worried their families back home would be if they knew of their situation. If I could have done more for them, legally, I would have. Many an Irish emigrant was in a similar bind.

It’s a mess.

You only pay 11.50/hour because you can
    And you can do that because there are so many "English language students" in the country.

• Advertisement

yesto24 wrote: »
    You only pay 11.50/hour because you can
    And you can do that because there are so many "English language students" in the country.

They were kitchen porters.

The average pay for a kp is now €10.10 since the increase of minimum wage. It would have been ten euro up until this month. I paid more than 95% of employers. None of the three had any previous kp experience btw.

https://www.glassdoor.ie/Salaries/kitchen-porter-salary-SRCH_KO0,14.htm

They got meals on shift, free tea and coffee, plus one “sweat beer” after a busy day. Not exactly too shabby a deal for young people without fluent English or any work experience in Ireland.

Advertisement