Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration authorities raid places of employment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

CucaFace wrote: »
    Very few Irish are doing these jobs, many would rather sit on their arses from the age they can get social welfare to the day they die. All the time taking from the system and looking for more and more without giving anything back to society. And strangely its from these useless wasters that the immigrants get most of their abuse from around the city...

Dublin city is totally reliant on non Irish with regards to cafe's restaurant and lower paid jobs. It would grind to halt if for example the English language sector was stopped from bringing Brazilians/Mexicans ect here to study English. Who else would live 3/4 in a bedroom for a year while working in a minimum wage job?

What a load of absolute waffle. Dublin would grind to a halt hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

From the journal today “'No one wants a bar full of vending machines': NI businesses say new UK immigration system will cause labour shortage”

Or
    “Man who owns business model that commonly exploits immigrants and pays sub standard wages upset that he may have to employ people who know their rights”

The objectors to points based immigration are usually those who stand to gain from cheap labour, a lesser educated society or an increase in crime...

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

What a load of absolute waffle. Dublin would grind to a halt hahahaha

You seem pretty clueless to how many non EU staff are working in this city, that cannot be replaced so easily.

You seem pretty clueless to how many non EU staff are working in this city, that cannot be replaced so easily.

You think without coffee shops and rickshaws, that Dublin would grind to a halt?? :D:D:D:D

You think without coffee shops and rickshaws, that Dublin would grind to a halt?? :D:D:D:D

Maybe a shortage of people who have no idea what employment rights are will cause emplpyers to have to pay a decent wage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Have you ever gone for a coffee, to a deli, shop, restaurant, cafe in Dublin? Ever stayed in a hotel? Gone for a pint/meal? Ever had food delivered?

If the answer is yes the please tell us (honestly) how many of the staff you encountered were Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

From the journal today “'No one wants a bar full of vending machines': NI businesses say new UK immigration system will cause labour shortage”

Or
    “Man who owns business model that commonly exploits immigrants and pays sub standard wages upset that he may have to employ people who know their rights”

The objectors to points based immigration are usually those who stand to gain from cheap labour, a lesser educated society or an increase in crime...

The crime bit I do not get? It the middle class who want their take away coffee on the way to the office, a cleaner, childcare, delivroo, care staff in their parent's nursing home on the cheap, who are the main users of lower-skilled or low skilled minimum wage workers. The employers are only catering to demand

Have you ever gone for a coffee, to a deli, shop, restaurant, cafe in Dublin? Ever stayed in a hotel? Gone for a pint/meal?

If the answer is yes the please tell us (honestly) how many of the staff you encountered were Irish?

You think we are handing out visas to non-EU people for all of the above??

If not, they are either working cash in hand (should be a massive clampdown, deportation and enormous fines for the company) or working above and beyond their allowed hours (should be a massive clampdown, revocation of visa and enormous fines for the company).

mariaalice wrote: »
    The crime bit I do not get? It the middle class who want their take away coffee on the way to the office, a cleaner, childcare, delivroo, care staff in their parent's nursing home on the cheap, who are the main users of lower-skilled or low skilled minimum wage workers. The employers are only catering to demand

Slaves? No, i'm just catering to demand. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Silly argument.

Im happy to pay more at the till if it means less people on welfare and less illegal immigration.

Non EU migrants are more likely to be involved in crime than native irish people, sure look at every rickshaw driver in dublin, its a giant drugs front for brazillian students

• Advertisement

If not, they are either working cash in hand (should be a massive clampdown, deportation and enormous fines for the company) or working above and beyond their allowed hours (should be a massive clampdown, revocation of visa and enormous fines for the company).

Didn't really answer the question though did you?

It a conundrum that no one wants to face, no one is willing to pay 5 euro for a coffee so the staff can be paid the living wage, everyone one wants high skilled highly regulated child care but they don't want to pay for it, its easier to being in Spanish and Italian childcare staff and employ Brazilian students as barristers.

Im happy to pay more at the till if it means less people on welfare and less illegal immigration.

Non EU migrants are more likely to be involved in crime than native irish people, sure look at every rickshaw driver in dublin, its a giant drugs front for brazillian students

Care to back that up with statistics?

It a conundrum that no one wants to face, no one is willing to pay 5 euro for a coffee so the staff can be paid the living wage, everyone one wants high skilled highly regulated child care but they don't want to pay for it, its easier to being in Spanish and Italian childcare staff and employ Brazilian students as barristers.

Nobody is asking for a living wage here, just not employers snubbing the 10 euro an hour because paulo from rio will do it for 5 and work 15 hours a day

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I honestly don't even understand your point there.

You do understand that most of the non Eu staff in Dublin are here on Student visa's which entitles them to work these hours in those jobs?

Can I ask you, do you work?

Didn't really answer the question though did you?

Last time I was in Dublin, I was in a Brewdock across from Connolly station, then went to The Palace bar on Fleet street. Both lads behind the bar were Irish in both pubs. There was a few eastern European girls serving and waitressing in Brewdock too. Amazingly both were surviving well without non-eu workers.

Care to back that up with statistics?
    A report by Statistics Denmark released in December 2015 found that 83% of crimes are committed by individuals of Danish origin (88% of the total population), 14% by individuals of non-Western descent and 3% by those of non-Danish Western descent. An index standardized for age shows that crime rates are 48% higher among male immigrants and 140% higher among male descendants of immigrants.[69]

Male Lebanese immigrants and their descendants, a big part of them being of Palestinian descent,[69] have, at 257, the highest crime-index among the studied groups, which translates to crime rates 150% higher than the country's average. The index is standardized by both age and socioeconomic status. Men of Yugoslav origin and men originating in Turkey, Pakistan, Somalia and Morocco are associated with high crime-indexes, ranging between 187 and 205, which translate to crime rates about double the country's average. The lowest crime index (32) is recorded among immigrants and descendants originating from the United States and is far below the average for all men in Denmark. A low index at 38 was recorded for immigrants from China.[69]
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_and_crime

Nobody is asking for a living wage here, just not employers snubbing the 10 euro an hour because paulo from rio will do it for 5 and work 15 hours a day

Do you really think all the costa, insomnia ect around the city are paying under the counter and not paying minuim wage?

its nonsense.

I honestly don't even understand your point there.

You do understand that most of the non Eu staff in Dublin are here on Student visa's which entitles them to work these hours in those jobs?

Can I ask you, do you work?

Of course I work. Have done since 16. Non-EU student staff can legally work a total of 20 hours a week during term time and 40 hours per week during holidays. Anything more than that and they are breaking the law. They sign contracts stating that they will not work more than this. Do you believe they stick to these hours??

Last time I was in Dublin, I was in a Brewdock across from Connolly station, then went to The Palace bar on Fleet street. Both lads behind the bar were Irish in both pubs. There was a few eastern European girls serving and waitressing in Brewdock too. Amazingly both were surviving well without non-eu workers.

Shockingly places that arent trash or run by awful people can survive paying their staff. Load of irish staff in most of the pubs and restaurants i frequent but somewhere looking to pack the punters in on the cheap often resort to cheap bar staff, oay peanuts and all that.... terrible service and terrible pints

• Advertisement

Do you really think all the costa, insomnia ect around the city are paying under the counter and not paying minuim wage?

its nonsense.

No, I think their irish and EU staff are getting minimum wage but the lad washing cups in the back or taking out the bins without a tap of english is getting a 5er

Also as a side note im loving that the usual suspects are out to claim business owners arent scum for once, claiming everythings above board in all these fast food and coffee shops and that non english speaking migrants arent being exploited...

No they were not in you post you said they had a few eastren European staff just becaue the bar staff were irish dose not meant they are not operating with immigrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Some people act like any kind of immigration control has to be total 100% deportation of all immigrants and stopping it in full, that there can't be any nuance to it. We already have lower requirements for non-EEA immigrants in certain cases where they've needed skills or qualifications.

No, I think their irish and EU staff are getting minimum wage but the lad washing cups in the back or taking out the bins without a tap of english is getting a 5er

In Starbucks, costa, and the like? how much are you prepared to pay personally for a coffee to mae sure all the KP's are Irish?

No they were not in you post you said they had a few eastren European staff just becaue the bar staff were irish dose not meant they are not operating with immigrations.

Amazingly, Eastern EUROPE is within the EUROPEAN Union and doesn't count as NON_EU

In Starbucks, costa, and the like? how much are you prepared to pay personally for a coffee to mae sure all the KP's are Irish?

If it means a coffee is 8 euro and I can walk through town without seeing a brazillian drug gang rolling around then im all for it.

Amazingly, Eastern EUROPE is within the EUROPEAN Union and doesn't count as NON_EU

Yes as in not Irish, is your issue with the Brazilians and Mexicans who are working here?

You said

Why are you posting stats from Denmark? :confused:

If it means a coffee is 8 euro and I can walk through town without seeing a brazillian drug gang rolling around then im all for it.

Who knows, it might force Starbucks out of Ireland and we'd have lots of little local coffee shops employing one or two full time staff and actually paying tax!! :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

I did not contend that there are not many non-nationals in low-paid employment. They do not disprove my point.

Many Irish people DO work in what an individual here called 'crap dead end jobs'.

The idea that...
    Very few Irish are doing these jobs, many would rather sit on their arses from the age they can get social welfare to the day they die. All the time taking from the system and looking for more and more without giving anything back to society. And strangely its from these useless wasters that the immigrants get most of their abuse from around the city...

...is really just the petty cosmopolitanism of some Irish people who are so cocooned from the real life struggles of so many fellow citizens.

Certainly, the type of Irish people doing 'crap dead end jobs' don't have all day to be swanning around the city, drinking latte.

Which is why some of you aren't aware of their existence.

Advertisement