Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration authorities raid places of employment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Doesn't matter what the wage rate is: we have almost full employment. There is not a pool of people looking for KP jobs no matter what the wage is.

I do hope all of ye who support this are also in favour of the USA deporting the so-called "undocumented" Irish, who are equally illegal.

100% they should be kicked out. We also have a vast EU market that we can dip into, without importing people from the third world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭LeBash

tjdaly wrote: »
    These people should be shipped out and never allowed back, no matter their background or sob story. Ship out the kids. Ship out the grannies. Ship out anyone that harbored them or employed them. We need more doctors and nurses from South East Asia and India, not more layabouts and W*A*S*T*E*R*S (we have enough of them in the Irish population already).

How many lay abouts come here from Asia? I see 1000s working and none with their hand out. Anyone willing to work and contribute should be welcomed, anyone looking for handouts should be kicked out the door.

Get rid of payouts and offer a state funded labour exchange and the system scammers will disappear very shortly after.

LeBash wrote: »
    How many lay abouts come here from Asia? I see 1000s working and none with their hand out. Anyone willing to work and contribute should be welcomed, anyone looking for handouts should be kicked out the door.

Get rid of payouts and offer a state funded labour exchange and the system scammers will disappear very shortly after.

Yes open borders. That will really help.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    They aren’t wasters. Far from it.

As an employer, lads coming here on student visas etc are great grafters. But they can only work twenty hours per week and forty during their holidays etc.

This isn’t explained to them properly, in my experience, when they are obtaining their student visas.

I have hired three recently for part time positions. Two from Brazil and one girl from Mexico. Two have since left purely because I wasn’t able to give them full time hours. They were surprised at this for some reason but the law is the law.

Allowing in a lot of young people from relatively low wage countries with the impression they can learn English, work full time, save a few bob and have a nice few years in Europe isn’t being nice to them.

All three will end up working illegally or having to go home after spending a few grand on college fees, a large chunk on health insurance and relocating costs. 20 hours per week at €11.50 will only afford you a shared bed and subsistence money.

The student visa is a huge scam and it’s not being kind to lads to allow them over under false impressions and false hopes. None had more than two grand in their bank account and were all under pressure. The government should be ensuring that they have a large wad of available cash to finance their stay before approving their visas.

The language visa route is the biggest source of overstayers and illegals in the country. Most will have PPSN so they will be paying tax too. Revenue don’t give a damn about their status and won’t liaise with INIS or the GNIB if a lad is paying his taxes.

The whole system needs to be overhauled and it’s why we see a dozen poor sods living in two or three bed properties all across the Dublin. I expect it’s the same in urban areas across Ireland.

I’m relatively anti mass immigration myself but felt very sorry for all three. Great young people and I just thought how worried their families back home would be if they knew of their situation. If I could have done more for them, legally, I would have. Many an Irish emigrant was in a similar bind.

It’s a mess.

Working 20 hrs per week during term time is a fairly standard restriction. My point is that it isn’t some weird Irish regulation that they should be surprised at. Other countries operate the same restriction.
    They also sign a declaration that they will not work longer hours.

They must satisfy the visa officer that they have sufficient finances - send in bank statements with application.

What tends to happen is they borrow money from family/friends to fatten up their a/c. Once in the country they give the money back and struggle!
    They know exactly what they’re doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wonder how the perceived racism experienced by the equestrian worker would play out with the new proposed Fine Gael Hate Speech legislation?
    Would the woman who reported him be arrested by Gardai?
    Would he receive financial compensation from the woman due to the perceived racism?

Of course we are only getting one side of the story, but it would be dangerous to criminalise one of the two participants in this incident due to something that was perceived by the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Kivaro wrote: »
    Wonder how the perceived racism experienced by the equestrian worker would play out with the new proposed Fine Gael Hate Speech legislation?
    Would the woman who reported him be arrested by Gardai?
    Would he receive financial compensation from the woman due to the perceived racism?

Of course we are only getting one side of the story, but it would be dangerous to criminalise one of the two participants in this incident due to something that was perceived by the other.

Maybe you should try and get to grips with how hate speech and hate crime legislation actually works? An arrest requires suspicion of a crime. A hate crime requires two components - a crime, and a hate motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭LeBash

Yes open borders. That will really help.

Where did I say open boarder? What's your big fear with people coming here? If they are coming to work, by all means come and work. Dont accept criminals and have a 0 tolerance for crime.

The fact we are lax on the latter is government policy. It's not the fault of someone who wants to work towards a better life.

Btw, the large majority of people who come here to work are pretty young and they will be contributing to paying your state pension (or maybe your rock n roll if you're on it). Most will probably go back home after only contributing and those that stay will get only back the same as an Irish born person who contributed or not.

The only issues is tolerance of people who dont want to work, not swiftly removing those who come here to scam and there are a number of them. That's not the fault of the hard working immigrants, of which the large majorty are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

There's dick heads everywhere. I worked in New Zealand and Australia for years and had some pretty horrible stuff said to me about my accent, being Irish, the famine, the IRA. But I just ignored it and moved on. There are nasty people everywhere. Plus if you have no visa and no right to be in a country you should be deported. Especially if you're contributing nothing. But I guess having an opinion like this is considered racist nowadays..

as a result of this operation and estimated that the State made potential savings of €100,000.

very small beer compared to the savings they would have made if they had properly negotiated a write down on the Anglo Irish Bank debt, but instead they turned a €28,000,000,000 debt into a €62,000,000,000 to be paid by this state over 40 years from 2013. It has transpired now that we didn't have top pay that debt.
    But hey...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You're free to leave.
    If you choose to stay all anyone wants to hear is that the Irish are the kindest most welcoming people in the world.

You would do well to remember that.

Speak for yourself there pal, if someone is being a prick then call them one

• Advertisement

LeBash wrote: »
    Where did I say open boarder? What's your big fear with people coming here? If they are coming to work, by all means come and work. Dont accept criminals and have a 0 tolerance for crime.

The fact we are lax on the latter is government policy. It's not the fault of someone who wants to work towards a better life.

Btw, the large majority of people who come here to work are pretty young and they will be contributing to paying your state pension (or maybe your rock n roll if you're on it). Most will probably go back home after only contributing and those that stay will get only back the same as an Irish born person who contributed or not.

The only issues is tolerance of people who dont want to work, not swiftly removing those who come here to scam and there are a number of them. That's not the fault of the hard working immigrants, of which the large majorty are.

“Anyone willing to work and contribute should be welcomed,” - right about here. It’s a stupid idea. Hence no country in the world operates like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The Irish aren't that hospitable.
    But all we want from foreigners is to be told that we are.
    I think we're come to believe the bord failte marketing guff about ourselves tbh.
    Orion wrote: »
    I'm looking to see where in an article from nearly a year ago it says that the number of illegal migrants working in the taxi industry is staggering.

Can you point it out to me? All I can see is that 90 Gardaí found 55 men in two years. Would I describe that as "staggering" - well .... no.

I do use taxis semi-regularly in Dublin. I find the foreign drivers to be very courteous and friendly. I've actually never had a problem with one. I have regularly had a problem with "local" drivers.

That's beside the point though. I don't think anyone is arguing that illegal workers can't be nice people. Many are extremely hard grafters. Isn't the actual issue though that they are here illegally, displacing those that get here through the official channels - not anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

“Anyone willing to work and contribute should be welcomed,” - right about here. It’s a stupid idea. Hence no country in the world operates like that.

Using inexhaustible non-EEA cheap labour to drive down wages and conditions, and then beating the working class over the head with 'look at how hard the foreigners work for peanuts you wasters' is the new tactic from IBEC and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

I get a huge amount of taxis without fail road hail or FreeNow or whatever the fk they are called this week , no matter the colour of the car or the driver there is almost never a problem, the two scammy drivers in last 5 years (must be out of 2-300 trips ) were Irish

Yurt! wrote: »
    Using inexhaustible non-EEA cheap labour to drive down wages and conditions, and then beating the working class over the head with 'look at how hard the foreigners work for peanuts you wasters' is the new tactic from IBEC and the like.
    And this, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the main reasons why we have De Facto open borders in Ireland.
    We should all be very cautious with the likes of Simon Coveney and Eamon Ryan who are advocating for a population of 10,000,000 in Ireland. We can barely cope with half of that population with our abysmal services and healthcare/affordable housing situation; yet they want more. Why?

It is a race to the bottom, and some in government, the civil service, and the business community do not care where these new Irish come from.
    And to those posters who are saying the majority of them are hard grafters; most definitely there is a contingent of immigrants who are very hard working and contribute to our society, but they are others who come here for the social welfare mecca that exists in the country e.g. 40% of the Africans who live in Ireland actually work in Ireland.
    This is not sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

trellheim wrote: »
    I get a huge amount of taxis without fail road hail or FreeNow or whatever the fk they are called this week , no matter the colour of the car or the driver there is almost never a problem, the two scammy drivers in last 5 years (must be out of 2-300 trips ) were Irish

Would illegal taxi drivers find it justifiable to be ultra nice to customers to try and stay off of the authorities ( not very effective! ) radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

We should all be very cautious with the likes of Simon Coveney and Eamon Ryan who are advocating for a population of 10,000,000 in Ireland. We can barely cope with half of that population with our abysmal services and healthcare/affordable housing situation; yet they want more. Why?

We need someone to build Eamon's windmills to power Eamon's electric cars.
    And who is going to make Eamon's soya burgers when all the cows are gone.
    How do you know if someone has voted for the Green party?
    Because they will tell you.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned about these workplaces. Do they suffer any punishment?? There should be massive fines for employing illegals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    That’s a myth. The Irish are no more hospitable or inhospitable than the rest of the world.

I would say that it’s hard for migrants here to make friends with Irish people. We do tend to stick with the same clique we’ve been in with since school, sport clubs, growing up or college.

I worked abroad on a short term contract a few years ago. Over the Christmas period I was away from my young child and my wife. I was a bit down coming up to Christmas as I was working straight through and I couldn’t go home.

I had numerous offers from my coworker to attend Christmas dinner at their homes. I was shocked by that. I don’t think an Irish person would ever invite a foreign coworker around for Christmas so they don’t feel lonely.

It opened my eyes a bit. We aren’t as overly welcoming and open as we like to congratulate ourselves for.

Not blowing my horn here but I asked a Polish mate of mine if they wanted to come to mine for Christmas one year and he did. As per usual, he didn't hold back on his thoughts at the end of the night :D Poor bastard. Iv brought food over to people wherever I have lived if they were on their own etc. There are many others who do it just out of kindness. Growing up I watched my nanny do this in the flats wondering why she was feeding people. Now I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the main reasons why we have De Facto open borders in Ireland

Just for reality sake, it is not a fact that Ireland has open borders.

It's a White National Party fallacy dreamed up to stir the crazies. It doesn't and hasn't worked. Because Irish people are not by and large dribbling simpletons.

Ireland are well below the EU average on non EU nationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Boggles wrote: »

It's a White National Party fallacy dreamed up to stir the crazies. It doesn't and hasn't worked. Because Irish people are not by and large dribbling simpletons.

17% of the country is foreign .

We're a country of 6 million with open borders with 300 million ; including the rag tag and bobtail of Poland and France and Lithuania and Italy and even Sweden .

That's inspirational is some ways and it's a hell of a lot better than emigration (except for the French )but it's a big change .

Let's not forget that one third of those on Dublin city's housing list are from abroad.
    That is a staggering change in such a short period of time for a very small resource-starved country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Boggles wrote: »

We bow to your expertise on this matter.

:D:D:D

dribbling sub servant
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112476447&postcount=4942

dribbling simpleton
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112397393&postcount=4328

dribbling simpleton
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112342577&postcount=3882

dribbling simpleton
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112267883&postcount=57

dribbling fúcktard
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111998823&postcount=1029

dribbling simpleton
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112004087&postcount=347

dribbling fúcktard
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111299656&postcount=37

dribbling oaf
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111411549&postcount=66

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's difficult to imagine worse advice.
    His kids might be able to express those complaints when thoroughly acculturated or whatever but foreigners should express only positive feelings about Ireland to Irish people .

Yes that's what we need sychophancy. I've immigrated to Canada and the US and I've never stopped criticizing and commending, you do not have to suck up to the locals in a free country, that's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Let's not forget that one third of those on Dublin city's housing list are from abroad.
    That is a staggering change in such a short period of time for a very small resource-starved country.

Let's just ask where you would allow all your hospital cleaners, minimum jobs workers live. It ain't Irish people doing these crap dead end jobs.

Where do you deem acceptable that they live. A tent on a roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Chinasea wrote: »
    Let's just ask where you would allow all your hospital cleaners, minimum jobs workers live. It ain't Irish people doing these crap dead end jobs.

Where do you deem acceptable that they live. A tent on a roundabout?

There are many Irish people doing 'these' jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Should they live in a tent as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned about these workplaces. Do they suffer any punishment?? There should be massive fines for employing illegals.

No idea but I agree 100%

It is up to employer to ensure an applicants papers are in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Very few Irish are doing these jobs, many would rather sit on their arses from the age they can get social welfare to the day they die. All the time taking from the system and looking for more and more without giving anything back to society. And strangely its from these useless wasters that the immigrants get most of their abuse from around the city...

Dublin city is totally reliant on non Irish with regards to cafe's restaurant and lower paid jobs. It would grind to halt if for example the English language sector was stopped from bringing Brazilians/Mexicans ect here to study English. Who else would live 3/4 in a bedroom for a year while working in a minimum wage job?

Advertisement