Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

What happens if you try to punch the virus out of your body?

I believe darwin's theory of natural selection comes into play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

dublin99 wrote: »
    The death rate in China is much higher. People are not tested and therefore not diagnosed (officially) and many people die at home as they are not admitted to hospital. These deaths are not included in the official figures.

And also, mild cases which remain undiagnosed are not included in the figures. According to the WHO 82% of infected have only mild symptoms. Therefore there are way more of these cases than unrecorded deaths which will bring the death rate way down. Could be wrong but I'd say the death rate will turn out of be even lower than the current estimate of 2%.

In many cases whole families are infected. In Hong Kong in a high rise block, it was spread through the sewage pipes from a man who lived in flat on a high floor to a woman ten floors below. She then infected her son and daughter in law. The daughter in law had a family dinner in a restaurant in a different part of town and infected her father and other relatives!

That was SARS, not this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

just bought hand sanitizer and gloves at my nearest drugstore.:o (in Germany) just to be safe than sorry and also wanted to find out if things are sold out here (big city). they're not, no shortage of hand sanitizers..don't know about masks though, but think will be the same don't even know where to get them, pharmacie maybe. would be interesting to find out, next project for monday maybe..:P

just as a general info as I think folks here might be interested:subject is very low key in the media in Germany too, no headlines at all, just some small reporting like five minutes in the news or some informative stuff about the corona virus later at night. no panic inducing stuff at all. think that's what europe or the world in general agreed upon, making no big headlines in cases like this (if not gotten already to a very bad situation) to reduce any risk of panic spreading amongst people.

tried to find out anything about the infected cases here, can't find much, not even online. think I read somewhere they are all on the road to recovery but not 100% sure.

so it's mainly the same acting from the media than in Ireland, to keep it low key which is, I think at this point, the right thing to do. I can imagine this is a slippery slope for the responsible authorithies/media, keeping the balance between keeping people adaquately informed to the current situation but not spreading panic with it. I think that's why they don't report about the infected people here, it's not much to report anyway if they have only mild symptoms. If they would be in a bad state, they would inform about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

SusanC10 wrote: »

Article is behind a paywall but an American was infected on the 2nd Cruise ship, have all those passengers been sent back to country's of origin or are they in quarantine in Cambodia?

Read the line again.

2019-nCoV appears to fit the same pattern as influenza, with most people recovering and with a low death rate; the people at risk of increased mortality are older in age (>65 years), immunosuppressed, or have comorbid illnesses.

The Lancet is not saying it is only the flu.

I don't think you understand what you quoted, mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

ceadaoin. wrote: »

That was SARS, not this.

No, it happened last week. Hundreds of people were evacuated from the apartment block Monday night.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3049968/coronavirus-four-more-residents-tsing-yi-estate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The data is out there, if you want to know your chances of survival in case you get infected the best thing to do it taking a calculator and work out the rate. You have total deaths, Total infected, total survivals. It ultimately boils down to how you want to look at data

Wrong. You will never know the total infected. You will only know the total of the people that were confirmed to have the virus using medical testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

laurah591 wrote: »
    Article is behind a paywall but an American was infected on the 2nd Cruise ship, have all those passengers been sent back to country's of origin or are they in quarantine in Cambodia?

I had previously read that all Passengers had been tested on disembarking in Cambodia and tested negative and were released. This American person tested positive in Malaysia after flying there from Cambodia with more than 100 other passengers from the Ship.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wrong. You will never know the total infected. You will only know the total of the people that were confirmed to have the virus using medical testing.

Yup, CFR is a (in this case, highly) inflated estimate of the true mortality rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I had previously read that all Passengers had been tested on disembarking in Cambodia and tested negative and were released. This American person tested positive in Malaysia after flying there from Cambodia with more than 100 other passengers from the Ship.

So possible first test was a false negative and we might see some more cases emerge.

The majority of people seeming to be recovering quite well from the infection. It seems to me that in a normal person, this strain is flu is less severe than the seasonal.flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

laurah591 wrote: »
    All i saw was 65 tested as of last Monday ... 6 days old

Limited Irish Media coverage here, in my opinion there looks to be efforts taking to keep suspect cases quiet

I am fully convinced we have cases here already however we don't have a media all we have are shills and paid lapdogs.

160206223413-north-korea-announcement-super-169.jpg

342.jpg

Ah Fuck the economy. Staying alive more important

Jesus :rolleyes:

The economy produces our food and taking part in the economy enables us to buy that food.

Not just food we have
    Healthcare
    Transport
    Energy
    Security

The tooth fairy does not restock the supermarkets you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

After watching the videos on twitter of some chinese going round splitting and smearing the buttons on elevators, coughing on food products, spitting on door handles i went into tescos today and bought a few packets of antibacterial wipes for my up coming trip to asia ... sick to my stomach what people would/can do to other humans.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

After watching the videos on twitter of some chinese going round splitting and smearing the buttons on elevators, coughing on food products, spitting on door handles i went into tescos today and bought a few packets of antibacterial wipes for my up coming trip to asia ... sick to my stomach what people would/can do to other humans.

Why would you travel to Asia at this time?

wakka12 wrote: »
    And yet we have seen same measures in countries outside China with only a few dozen cases, ban on public gathering, indefinite school closures, flight bans, closed borders , a town in Vietnam quarantined, cruise liners with no confirmed cases stranded at sea for days, suspected patients being rushed to hospitals by a team in hazmat suits, governments tracing and observing and isolating tens of thousands of people, and more

Aaa sure it will be all grand.

Until it is not.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Stheno wrote: »
    Why would you travel to Asia at this time?

Atm were still going but thinks can change, have just under four weeks to decide, forfeit the flights if we have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

yes, be careful. have a friend living in Beijing (also at the moment, poor pet), and they apparently spit constantly everywhere. Once someone spit on her leg accidentally, sitting in a bus..blergh

wakka12 wrote: »
    8 out of 9 UK patients discharged

And 9 out of ten cats prefer Whiskers.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

tara73 wrote: »
    yes, be careful. have a friend living in Beijing (also at the moment, poor pet), and they apparently spit constantly everywhere. Once someone spit on her leg accidentally, sitting in a bus..blergh

Plenty of spitting scumbags in Ireland too. See lots of it around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

The majority of people seeming to be recovering quite well from the infection. It seems to me that in a normal person, this strain is flu is less severe than the seasonal.flu.

Hang on, earlier you claimed to be a pharmacist. Influenza and coronavirus are not the same thing.

Also, what do you consider to be a majority? The vast majority of cases have not yet recovered.

sweetie wrote: »
    Plenty of spitting scumbags in Ireland too. See lots of it around Dublin.

Oriental people have on average the highest IQs in the world they produce and have invented some great stuff Playstation Samsung Gunpowder.

The Irish have the lowest average IQ in Western Europe for anybody interested.

Being racist is trying to infer another race is inferior but we can all see what the Oriental peoples have achieved I don't see any racism.

Pointing our what some scumbags are doing there is not racist and I would assume the videos were captured and uploaded by people who are outraged and I would guess these people are of the same race.

So we see a few dirty scumbags in China and you respond oh we have scumbags here too.
    Why do you need to point that out?

When some scummy junkie mugs somebody in Dublin do you feel the need to point out they have dirty junkies in India also?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The Corona virus is not a "strain of flu"

You may wish to tell to frontline medical staff and the millions under lockdown in China and elsewhere it's "less severe than the seasonal flu" - I'm fairly certain that will be of comfort to them...

gozunda wrote: »

You may wish to tell to frontline medical staff and the millions under lockdown in China and elsewhere its "less severe than the seasonal flu" - I'm fairly certain that will be of comfort to them...

Yes sure it is only a runny nose.

maxresdefault.jpg

f5-1-e1581462287263.jpg

NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

WateryWarmheartedChick-size_restricted.gif

gozunda wrote: »

You may wish to tell to frontline medical staff and the millions under lockdown in China and elsewhere its "less severe than the seasonal flu" - I'm fairly certain that will be of comfort to them...

I misspoke. I suppose. I should rephrase it as this virus that causes upper respiratory distress similar to the flu. You are correct though, the coronavirus is different to influenza A/B/C

Yes sure it is only a runny nose.

maxresdefault.jpg

f5-1-e1581462287263.jpg

NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

WateryWarmheartedChick-size_restricted.gif

I think you are underestimating how serious catching influenza is.

I misspoke. I suppose. I should rephrase it as this virus that causes upper respiratory distress similar to the flu. You are correct though, the coronavirus is different to influenza A/B/C

Very rare for anybody to admit they were wrong on here well done.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Oriental people have on average the highest IQs in the world they produce and have invented some great stuff Playstation Samsung Gunpowder.

The Irish have the lowest average IQ in Western Europe for anybody interested.

Being racist is trying to infer another race is inferior but we can all see what the Oriental peoples have achieved I don't see any racism.

Pointing our what some scumbags are doing there is not racist and I would assume the videos were captured and uploaded by people who are outraged and I would guess these people are of the same race.

So we see a few dirty scumbags in China and you respond oh we have scumbags here too.
    Why do you need to point that out?

When some scummy junkie mugs somebody in Dublin do you feel the need to point out they have dirty junkies in India also?

You've lost me. Jeez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Been a while since I heard the term 'oriental people'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement