Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I think you are underestimating how serious catching influenza is.

I had a very bad strain of the flu two years ago I did not sleep for close to 3 full days and nights my lungs were full of goo.

If somebody had of handed me a fatal overdose I would have taken it I am not joking it was that bad I understand now how the flu can kill.

I really hate the Chinese communist government but I also understand how smart they are and they are treating this way more serious than any flu.

Been a while since I heard the term 'oriental people'.

I don't like to use the term Asian as this is what you read after Muslim terror attacks.

The man who looked Asian and so on.

Oriental people are people native to the Orient.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,354 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I misspoke. I suppose. I should rephrase it as this virus that causes upper respiratory distress similar to the flu. You are correct though, the coronavirus is different to influenza A/B/C

It causes lower respiratory as well

sweetie wrote: »
    You've lost me. Jeez

Happen you a lot?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I don't like to use the term Asian as this is what you read after Muslim terror attacks.

The man who looked Asian and so on.

Oriental people are people native to the Orient.

There's nobody currently native to the Orient.

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »
    There's nobody currently native to the Orient.
    orient
    noun
    noun: the Orient
    /ˈɔːrɪənt,ˈɒrɪənt/
    LITERARY
    the countries of the East, especially East Asia.
    "the treasures of the Orient"

Not that it matters anyway I am old I do not speak millennial.

Lets get back to we are all doomed again.:D

fritzelly wrote: »

It's mainly upper respiratory. LRTI is kinda synonymous with pneumonia. Influenza nearly always starts as a URTI. But that can lead to viral pneumonia in the lower lobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

https://youtu.be/Bb4BlkOhlXs

Dr. JOHN

Mostly good news that children aren't having bad symptoms

Zenify wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/Bb4BlkOhlXs

Dr. JOHN

Mostly good news that children aren't having bad symptoms

So Greta Thunberg will be safe? Thank God for that.

I suppose she thinks this is a good thing doing away with us oldies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Been a while since I heard the term 'oriental people'.

I would have thought that was a fairly common phrase.

• Advertisement

Oriental people have on average the highest IQs in the world they produce and have invented some great stuff Playstation Samsung Gunpowder.

The Irish have the lowest average IQ in Western Europe for anybody interested.

I didn't know that but I am not surprised either. China is a very impressive country despite it's political system.

I would have thought that was a fairly common phrase.
    Thanks I would have thought so too.
    This younger generation will never cease to shock us all.
    Revealed: Irish kids aged 12 'cannot run, jump, catch or even hit a ball'
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/revealed-irish-kids-aged-12-cannot-run-jump-catch-or-even-hit-a-ball-36043842.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

fritzelly wrote: »

It seems to like the lung a lot, one of its distinguishing features, the lower incidence of upper rti.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I misspoke. I suppose. I should rephrase it as this virus that causes upper respiratory distress similar to the flu. You are correct though, the coronavirus is different to influenza A/B/C

And to quote the frontline doctor interviewed...” it’s not like anything we’ve seen. (This Dr. was frontline for SARS outbreak as well and is no stranger to trauma and stress) their condition might worsen we still don’t understand the mechanism for it. It deals damage outside the lung as well, including our circulatory system, our heart, liver and kidney and our blood system. It could deal a lethal blow to the entire body, this is a special characteristic of the illness” Dr. From Shanghai Wuhan reinforcement team.

The majority of people seeming to be recovering quite well from the infection. It seems to me that in a normal person, this strain is flu is less severe than the seasonal.flu.

But it isn’t an influenza. And what is a normal person?

I know quite a few “normal” people on immunosuppressant drugs for autoimmune diseases and often these are younger people. Pregnant women are immune compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Spoke about the virus to a few health professionals but they don't seem too worried yet. I wonder is that they are so busy they don't take much notice of what's coming?

So Greta Thunberg will be safe? Thank God for that.

I suppose she thinks this is a good thing doing away with us oldies.

Wow you must be a huge Greta Thunberg fan and supporter if she's forefront of your mind when you hear children are at low risk with this disease. Unless you were being sarcastic? But that would be truly disturbing so surely not?

I didn't know that but I am not surprised either. China is a very impressive country despite it's political system.

Take a look at this not PC but factual.

SDTCVDS.png

The top six smartest nations on earth

Rank Country IQ
    1 Singapore 108
    2 Hong Kong 108
    3 Taiwan 106
    4 South Korea 106
    5 Japan 105
    6 China 104

Ireland is 39 on that list with an average IQ of 94.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Wow you must be a huge Greta Thunberg fan and supporter if she's forefront of your mind when you hear children are at low risk with this disease. Unless you were being sarcastic? But that would be truly disturbing so surely not?

Lol checkmate

saabsaab wrote: »
    Spoke about the virus to a few health professionals but they don't seem too worried yet. I wonder is that they are so busy they don't take much notice of what's coming?

So you got expert advice and choose to dismiss it because they are busy?

• Advertisement

Or a joke FFS.
    I am well aware it is the adults in the background pulling the carbon tax strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭saabsaab

So you got expert advice and choose to dismiss it because they are busy?

No not at all. Just wondered why they aren't more aware especially as they will be in the front line!

Or a joke FFS.

You should do stand up. Children at risk of serious illness is top notch stuff.

You should do stand up. Children at risk of serious illness is top notch stuff.

If a pandemic is coming everybody is at risk.:confused:

SDTCVDS.png

Rank Country IQ
    1 Singapore 108
    2 Hong Kong 108
    3 Taiwan 106
    4 South Korea 106
    5 Japan 105
    6 China 104

IQ is a load of ****. You can't actually measure intelligence in that way.

saabsaab wrote: »
    No not at all. Just wondered why they aren't more aware especially as they will be in the front line!

More aware of what exactly?
    Of the social media hype and hysteria?
    Maybe it's because they are intelligent.

IQ is a load of ****. You can't actually measure intelligence in that way.

:D:D:D:D
    You did not agree with your own result I take it?:D

It is funny that very few people from the top six countries end up on the old scratcher.

Must be something in it.

If a pandemic is coming everybody is at risk.:confused:

But children are at less risk of serious symptoms. And when someone mentioned that you just had to reply with a sarcastic comment about a child. Off topic and pretty messed up. Get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

SDTCVDS.png

Rank Country IQ
    1 Singapore 108
    2 Hong Kong 108
    3 Taiwan 106
    4 South Korea 106
    5 Japan 105
    6 China 104

There are many facets to intelligence. IQ measures a narrow range. It is not meaningless but by no means could say somebody is outright 'smarter' than another person based solely on their IQ. Notice the clear trend towards higher IQ and nations with higher levels of education, of course not being educated doesnt mean youre not smart, its just means youre not educated in the fields we associate with 'intelligence'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,354 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement