Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Got masks in Screwfix direct probably won’t need them but have some now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

MarkY91 wrote: »
    As a previous poster said, I also haven't really looked into the virus or really took it seriously.
    I'm heading to Singapore, Thailand and Philippines in April. I am slightly concerned about my flights not happening. Not that concerned about actually being there. 1 case in Singapore in a city of millions...

Three concerns:
    * There'll be thousands, if not tens of thousands, more cases there between now and then
    * Transitting through airports you're going to be coming into close contact with a lot of people, you will be using communal eating and toilet facilities
    * Not sure what standard of care you could expect in Thailand or Philippines if you did get a base dose

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

dublin99 wrote: »
    Actually there have been 67 cases in Singapore to date, including a cluster associated with a local Church.

Really? I'm sure it was reported the other day that there was 1 case and the office for evacuated? Maybe I'm not as up to date as I should be. I'll be following this thread closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Actually there have been 67 cases in Singapore to date, including a cluster associated with a local Church.

Official stats from the who say otherwise
    3 confined case's .
    No new case's todate

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

ZX7R wrote: »
    3 confined case's .
    No new case's todate

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/coronavirus-9-new-cases-confirmed-in-singapore-6-of-these-linked-to-grace-assembly

67 according to the Singapore ministry of health (Feb 14)
    What is significant is that many are local cases in the community ie not linked directly to cases associated with people who had travelled from China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,354 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

ZX7R wrote: »
    3 confined case's .
    No new case's todate

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Have people here bought masks?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fiona_b

They ran out of masks where I live :eek::( fl4gg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Anywhere you can buy masks and gloves in munster?

• Advertisement

Friend in Philippines said people don't wear masks because they ran out or can't afford them. Scumbags are buying them in bulk and making huge profits. A box of masks used to be 60 pesos. They're now being sold for 500+ now

Friend in Philippines said people don't wear masks because they ran out or can't afford them. Scumbags are buying them in bulk and making huge profits. A box of masks used to be 60 pesos. They're now being sold for 500+ now

Better than Vietnam where there were masks being sold made from toilet roll.

Chong wrote: »
    Got masks in Screwfix direct probably won’t need them but have some now.

There’s 10% off at minute. Not all masks available for delivery though.

Better than Vietnam where there were masks being sold made from toilet roll.

That's insane!

I think I will post a few over to the Philippines. Where could I pick some up in Dublin city centre today? Has anyone gotten some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

It's been said here and loads of other places that they're not great for containment. Aside from psychologically, you will let your guard down more easily if you think they're protecting you. They get clogged with dirt and particles and become disgusting and unusable. You'll stop a cough or sneeze with the crook of your elbow more hygienically and then don't touch it or people and wash your clothes on a hot wash straight away when you're home. It sounds looney but it's the only practice that will really keep you protected.

A load of people laughed at me a few days ago when I wouldn't shake their hands, saying "because of the coronavirus, I'd say we should get out of the habit of doing that for a while". I pretended I was joking along with them at the time, to not wreck the buzz, but it made me conscious of the fact that people really aren't taking it seriously. A trainee doctor even went to shake my head when I went in the other day. Fck that.

Crucial hand hygiene practices and staying back from people, if you have to go in public during an outbreak, are the only way you'll even be in with a chance of avoiding it. Everyone should have the option to stay at home today anyway, the weather is crap and everyone is dying :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

fiona_b wrote: »
    They ran out of masks where I live :eek::( fl4gg

Got one of these nearby?

https://www.toolstation.com/workwear-safety/face-masks-respirators/c44

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

That's insane!

I think I will post a few over to the Philippines. Where could I pick some up in Dublin city centre today? Has anyone gotten some?

Surgical masks are out of stock everywhere. The Chinese have bought them all and sent them to China! Amazon prices are up 5 to 6 times and quality is questionable. Some medical/dental suppliers are limiting orders for Doctors/Dentals.

You might get some respirator masks. Prices are very high though for disposable masks. Some people use respirators with replaceable filters.

Masks are better at stopping the person infected spreading the infection rather than stopping people from getting the infection.

Surgical masks are out of stock everywhere. The Chinese have bought them all and sent them to China! Amazon prices are up 5 to 6 times and quality is questionable. Some medical/dental suppliers are limiting orders for Doctors/Dentals.

You might get some respirator masks. Prices are very high though for disposable masks. Some people use respirators with replaceable filters.

The girlfriend is a nurse. I might ask her to steal some from work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭LeBash

Exactly. Also there's a general boost in quality with buying things here. Quality control is often very lacking in China. I've done the same. Buying quality masks and sent them to my girlfriend (and ex gf) for themselves and the families.

How did you ship them? I'm in the same boat and couldnt get An Post to take them, tried DHL, UPS and FedEx and none would take any parcel to China.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Masks are better at stopping the person infected spreading the infection rather than stopping people from getting the infection.

That’s exactly why I’ve bought some. If one of my children or us adults get a bug or need to be careful we can wear them. I always get rhespiratory stuff and have had a cough for weeks now. I’m told it’s an allergy but if things kick off here I won’t necessarily know the difference as I believe most people will get mild symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The girlfriend is a nurse. I might ask her to steal some from work.

Don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

It wasn't until early/mid January that the incidents were suspected (the rumor mill/leaks began) and then it was confirmed as being something more than a seasonal flu bug. It was barely mentioned in China, never mind other countries until the middle of January.

Well by dec 31 wuhan doctors were treating “dozens” of pneumonia cases of unknown origin, a couple of days later it was identified as corona virus.
    So corona has been around since early dec 2019 if you take into account a couple of weeks of the “pneumonia cases” (that were actually corona virus) getting bad enough to require hospitalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Japanese couple test positive after holidaying in Hawaii
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f48rl4/new_japanese_woman_diagnosed_with_coronavirus/

4 more cases in Tokyo. Including one infected person who recently attended a party of 100 guests
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f48nlk/4_new_cases_in_tokyo_include_taxi_drivers_who/

17 people being tested for coronavirus in Delhi after returning from China with symptoms of the illness
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f490vt/17_people_from_delhi_who_returned_from_abroad/

5 more cases in Singapore, 72 total now.
    https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/coronavirus-covid19-singapore-cases-feb-15-12437852?cid=FBcna

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Right. I’m off shopping to stock up on tins. I’ll be leaving the spam on the shelf though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Have been kind of following news of this Coronavirus here on this thread and in the news.
    Starting to get a bit concerned now. Have 2 Kids and a Husband who travels (mostly within Europe) a fair bit for work. All of us healthy with no health conditions. I could be a bit fitter but the rest are fit and sporty.
    Husband thinks I am a bit mad to be even a little concerned and talks about SARS, MERS and the Swine Flu and the minimal impact here in Ireland.

I keep Hand Sanitizer beside the front door and in the car. Gave the Kids and Husband mini-Bottles going to work and school - though am sceptical of how much use is made of them once out of my sight.

We have enough Food and Toiletries to last about a month if housebound at any point - this has more to do with previous weather related issues than anything else. Would need more bottled water.

You are doing fine. Don't forget stocks of meds, both prescription and OTC.

I am in an unusual situation. Already all but housebound and in a solitary and remote place away from physical human contact as my immune system is down and any slight infection and at my age could prove fatal. And as we get cut off ( islander) I keep stocks of food etc in.
    With folk out there it will be the need to stay away from folk in any number eg shops.

LeBash wrote: »
    How did you ship them? I'm in the same boat and couldnt get An Post to take them, tried DHL, UPS and FedEx and none would take any parcel to China.

I went through Vietnam. Two different courier firms. One to Vietnam (to a friend of mine living there), and then another one from the border to Xi'an. Both local firms so they'd know best how to get around any red tape/obstacles. The girlfriend received them roughly 10 days after leaving Ireland. Some concerns at the border check, since they were held up for just over two days, but they were sent on, in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30070-9/fulltext
    As of Feb 10, 37 558 cases were confirmed, and 812 deaths had been reported to the WHO. Outside of China, 307 cases had been detected in 24 countries.6 Therefore, although several hundreds of patients remain in intensive care, the overall hospital fatality rate remains at 2%. Therefore, it is time to reduce the hype and hysteria surrounding the 2019-nCoV epidemic and reduce sensationalisation of new information, especially on social media, where many outlets aim to grab attention from followers. Additionally, the disparity between the strength of language as presented to the media by some researchers and politicians and the inference shared on social media requires more research to determine how content is being relayed on different platforms.
    An effective way of putting this outbreak into perspective is to compare it with other respiratory tract infections with epidemic potential. 2019-nCoV appears to fit the same pattern as influenza, with most people recovering and with a low death rate; the people at risk of increased mortality are older in age (>65 years), immunosuppressed, or have comorbid illnesses. There is currently no evidence that 2019-nCoV spreads more rapidly than influenza or has a higher mortality rate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement