Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

blade1 wrote: »
    Any motorfactors should have Jizer.
    Mighty stuff.
    And it's pronounced Joy zir.
    Just in case you ask for some Jizz :pac:

I’ll give the local motor factors a call tomorrow, thank god you explained how to pronounce it or the shop assistant might have been f the impression I was looking for a helping hand elsewhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Tis good stuff and has removed gunk of everything I've had to clean. I use it for chain cleaning too.

Any time I ask for joy-zir in my local shop yer man always says jizz-er back to me. XD

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

zubair wrote: »
    Any time I ask for joy-zir in my local shop yer man always says jizz-er back to me. XD

When's the wedding? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

It's just harmless flirting, nothing serious.

zubair wrote: »
    Tis good stuff and has removed gunk of everything I've had to clean. I use it for chain cleaning too.

€30 for a gallon seems like good value hopefully it shifts the crap

I would have said jizer as well only for blade1 and looked like a right idiot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just ask for spunk "Gunk" :)

GUN734.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

When's the wedding? :pac:
    Why buy a cow when you get milk for nothing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jizz her?
    Joy, sir!

...and that's probably enough filth for this thread :cool:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Christ lads yer a filthy bunch around here :pac:

5-EBBE9-BF-DC6-B-4-FA6-983-F-C1-F17-E53-C8-E9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Christ lads yer a filthy bunch around here :pac:

5-EBBE9-BF-DC6-B-4-FA6-983-F-C1-F17-E53-C8-E9.jpg

I have the big 5L drum of that stuff, its very good.

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I have the big 5L drum of that stuff, its very good.

So far so good with it, but need to give it more than one treatment but definitely better than gunk. Does it shift everything you want doing?

So far so good with it, but need to give it more than one treatment but definitely better than gunk. Does it shift everything you want doing?

Yeah, I have it in a big spray bottle that I just keep refilling. It does cut through the nasty oily ****e....I dont use it for ordinary mucky muck if you get me. I just use it for nasty grease and oil. But when I use it you can clearly see the grime dripping off the chain and wheels etc.

Yeah, I have it in a big spray bottle that I just keep refilling. It does cut through the nasty oily ****e....I dont use it for ordinary mucky muck if you get me. I just use it for nasty grease and oil. But when I use it you can clearly see the grime dripping off the chain and wheels etc.

That’s exactly what I need. As you say, it dies get through it, in my case not on the first go but it works.

Just followed you on Flickr, great photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,821 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That’s exactly what I need. As you say, it dies get through it, in my case not on the first go but it works.

Just followed you on Flickr, great photos.

This stuff is great. But.

You should use either and old spoon.lollipop sticks or whatever small plastic scrapers first to get off the heavy grime and wipe it in kitchen roll them scrape off more etc etc repeat.

Do not waist a bottle of that stuff until the heavy grease is off. You'll be pissing in the wind and wasting your money.

I never have a bike that is really soiled tbh, if it was I would give it a good powerhose 1st anyway.

I never have a bike that is really soiled tbh, if it was I would give it a good powerhose 1st anyway.

It was sat in a barn for nearly 17 years. What I’ve removed and what is still on it pretty much date from April 1999-June 2003

listermint wrote: »
    This stuff is great. But.

You should use either and old spoon.lollipop sticks or whatever small plastic scrapers first to get off the heavy grime and wipe it in kitchen roll them scrape off more etc etc repeat.

Do not waist a bottle of that stuff until the heavy grease is off. You'll be pissing in the wind and wasting your money.

I’ve gone through loads of cloths just scraping out the literal lumps of shìt they are there, I’ve made good progress however! I don’t intend on wasting it needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Kerosene works well for cleaning greasy stuff, Home heating oil is more or less the same but stinkier.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I was going to say that I raid some out of the tank when the wife isn't looking!

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Kerosene works well for cleaning greasy stuff, Home heating oil is more or less the same but stinkier.

I clean my chain with Kerosene it does an amazing job. Just make sure to give it a good drying with air and a clean towel before re-lubing.

I clean my chain with Kerosene it does an amazing job. Just make sure to give it a good drying with air and a clean towel before re-lubing.

I'd say the use the quiet man's bike will be getting using a dry lube will be sufficient.
    Almost no cleaning would be needed then.
    Or the build up of gunk he is dealing with now.

Kerosene,diesel,wd40 etc all good for cleaning stuff though.

I'd say the use the quiet man's bike will be getting using a dry lube will be sufficient.
    Almost no cleaning would be needed then.
    Or the build up of gunk he is dealing with now.

Kerosene,diesel,wd40 etc all good for cleaning stuff though.

85 miles last week on the blade -V- 35 miles on the DL the week before blade1 I’m coming up in the world :pac: my outright record is 110 miles in one day at the charity run last October. I use the Muc Off Chain lube which has done the trick so far

85 miles last week on the blade -V- 35 miles on the DL the week before blade1 I’m coming up in the world :pac: my outright record is 110 miles in one day at the charity run last October. I use the Muc Off Chain lube which has done the trick so far

In the wet or dry?

If mostly dry use something like würth dry lube.
    No build up of gunk.

In the wet or dry?

If mostly dry use something like würth dry lube.
    No build up of gunk.

Nearly always the dry, the only exception if I’m caught in bad weather while out, a very rare occurrence. Will pick up some of that stuff. Gunk is a sour subject these last few days

Nearly always the dry, the only exception if I’m caught in bad weather while out, a very rare occurrence. Will pick up some of that stuff. Gunk is a sour subject these last few days

No point lashing more stuff than needed on your chain.
    It's only going to be picking up grit and wearing your chain quicker.

The würth stuff is barely noticeable and just puts a light film on the chain.
    Unless you're out in all sorts of weather it'll do fine and you'll always have a clean chain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭H_Lime

IMG-20200208-164902.jpg
    Went a touch mad with the coating...

H_Lime wrote: »
    IMG-20200208-164902.jpg
    Went a touch mad with the coating...

Lovely,can't wait to see the finished product!
    Much more to do?

What's that other bike,gs850?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭H_Lime

IMG-20191231-195815.jpg
    She's next for resto, 78 yank import gs thou in skunk colours:)

Tons to do on the Dr, next is change the CCT and its spring for upgrade and valve stem seals while I'm in there, hopefully without mullering her.

• Advertisement

H_Lime wrote: »
    IMG-20191231-195815.jpg
    She's next for resto, 78 yank import gs thou in skunk colours:)

Tons to do on the Dr, next is change the CCT and its spring for upgrade and valve stem seals while I'm in there, hopefully without mullering her.

I was close enough from the glimpse I could see :pac:.
    You have plenty to keep you going so :eek:

Advertisement