Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Nice job H_Lime.
    You wouldn't be any good to get a dent out of an exhaust by chance?
    Or know someone that could.
    The Ti Evo I bought during the summer got damaged on the way to me.
    The lad I bought it off left the strap on the exhaus and just wrapped it in a load of cling film.
    Something either was dropped on top of it or it was dropped but the the bit of the strap where the bolt goes got pushed into the exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭H_Lime

blade1 wrote: »
    Nice job H_Lime.
    You wouldn't be any good to get a dent out of an exhaust by chance?
    Or know someone that could.
    The Ti Evo I bought during the summer got damaged on the way to me.
    The lad I bought it off left the strap on the exhaus and just wrapped it in a load of cling film.
    Something either was dropped on top of it or it was dropped but the the bit of the strap where the bolt goes got pushed inito the exhaust.
    Ah sh1te! Nothing worse opening something poorly wrapped knowing it's gona be damaged:mad::rolleyes:

Any pics?

If its creased it will always show a crease to some extent especially being ti.
    Drill the rivets (they're stainless on them i think) and pull the end off and the core out with all the packing. You should have a hollow ti skinned can now.

My advice at this point is bring it to one of those many paintless dent removal places and see what he and his spoons can do. From experience this is more of an art than most imagine.

Shouldnt charge you much and as he can get right in behind the dent I'd imagine he will surprise you. As it's a rare piece its worth going to this effort i reckon.

Theres always the option of using a wider exhaust strap to hide any remaing marks (assuming the damage is where she mounts?)

Good opp to repack with stainless and ceramic wool before re riveting. Obviously coat the rivet with exhaust sealant before inserting, unlike the Eyetalian fellas assembling my gpr:(

galwaytt wrote: »
    Today, well, Sunday really........I broke an engine case bolt.

That's just bloody great :cool:

493020.png

Howd you get on with that bolt ye sheared buddy?

H_Lime wrote: »
    Ah sh1te! Nothing worse opening something poorly wrapped knowing it's gona be damaged:mad::rolleyes:

Any pics?

If its creased it will always show a crease to some extent especially being ti.
    Drill the rivets (they're stainless on them i think) and pull the end off and the core out with all the packing. You should have a hollow ti skinned can now.

My advice at this point is bring it to one of those many paintless dent removal places and see what he and his spoons can do. From experience this is more of an art than most imagine.

Shouldnt charge you much and as he can get right in behind the dent I'd imagine he will surprise you. As it's a rare piece its worth going to this effort i reckon.

Theres always the option of using a wider exhaust strap to hide any remaing marks (assuming the damage is where she mounts?)

Good opp to repack with stainless and ceramic wool before re riveting. Obviously coat the rivet with exhaust sealant before inserting, unlike the Eyetalian fellas assembling my gpr:(

Screenshot-20191024-192653.jpg

If only the strap was where it should have been when the damage was done it would be covered but it was back a couple of inches.
    Even so, I'd want the genuine strap with the exhaust.
    It's probably rarer than the exhaust :o
    I asked some car dent crowd in Midleton but they weren't interested.
    I wouldn't be well up on who does this kinda work.
    Yep stainless rivets.
    And definitely repack will be done if it's opened up.

If only the strap was where it should have been when the damage was done it would be covered but it was back a couple of inches.
    Yep stainless rivets.

Maybe he reckoned on having to dismantle the can himself? You present that dismantled and most places would have a crack off it. They should be able to sort the profile back but you'd wonder will it still show evidence of having being worked? I've seen some of the work these lads do and the tidy ones are miracle wokers so you never know. Deffo worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yep stainless rivets.

I'd just buy a metal sticker for it. Any design that takes your fancy and stick it down using heat resistant glue.

A logo a symbol whatever.

So yesterday went to replace the Countershaft seal and clutch piston seal. As I was getting excessive oil leaking around the area. Wasn't sure which was gone so replaced both.

In doing so had to remove the clutch action mechanism it's a coil mechanism translates turning motion into pushing motion. Found some bearings inside it had gotten lost and also the clutch cable was loose when I put it all back together. It just seemed too stretched.

So an oil seal change turned into a clutch cable, clutch mechanism spring and clutch mechanism bearings change.

Tbh it's much tighter now on the clutch so probably due anyway. Money well spent.

Have to wash it in the morning it's been dirty for two months haven't had the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ever since Mountjoy closed, there's no hope of getting bits like that off the shelf, so a small job turning into a bigger job needing parts is a nightmare when you've one bike and need it to get to work.

Life ain't always empty.

listermint wrote: »
    I'd just buy a metal sticker for it. Any design that takes your fancy and stick it down using heat resistant glue.

A logo a symbol whatever.

You didn't by any chance use to run a motorbike shop did you? :pac:

You didn't by any chance use to run a motorbike shop did you? :pac:

No was that what he told ya ?

Tbh it's the most logical choice.

Also it may sound bad but the cans a bit... Boring so maybe something over it will improve it ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

A heat guard?

Also it may sound bad but the cans a bit... Boring so maybe something over it will improve it ? :)

No it wasn't what he told me.
    Your method of sorting dents just reminded of a bike that came out of a bike shop after a service years ago that had a sticker put on it.

You might think it's boring but I want it the way it was made.
    If I saw a sticker on one of those exhausts I'd think it's pretty naff.

No it wasn't what he told me.
    Your method of sorting dents just reminded of a bike that came out of a bike shop after a service years ago that had a sticker put on it.

You might think it's boring but I want it the way it was made.
    If I saw a sticker on one of those exhausts I'd think it's pretty naff.

Fair enough. It's a bit boring though :P

I didn't buy it for its looks I admit.
    It definitely doesn't sound boring.:pac:
    It was part of a racekit that comes with the bike originally.
    I'd like to have the whole kit.
    Have most of it but still missing a couple of nearly impossible to find bits.

The lad I bought the exhaust off was gutted and put in a claim off the courier's.
    Even though it wasn't in the condition it was when I paid for it and I was disappointed when I saw the dent, I told him forget about it.
    Unfortunate but **** happens.

Yeah if it was like made out of something heavier and weaker, and shorter or maybe longer, and if it had a cool name like blue flame, delkevic or dan moto...then it would be less boring:D
    Hard man to please Lister lol.

Yeah if it was like made out of something heavier and weaker, and shorter or maybe longer, and if it had a cool name like blue flame, delkevic or dan moto...then it would be less boring:D
    Hard man to please Lister lol.

No I just prefer some design on the side or a better holder. It's an awful large lump of flat steel takes away from the bike tbh.

No I just prefer some design on the side or a better holder. It's an awful large lump of flat steel takes away from the bike tbh.
    Ah this wont do at all!!:)
    The pipe is that length because Michel Kadenacy said so. If it were longer or shorter the magic wouldnt happen. The flat steel is that rather saucy light and strong gear from the exotic side of the periodic table.
    Your penance is spark plugs on a zx12r and a valve clearances on a nc30. Go in peace my son:p:)

It's titanium I'll have you know :D

And seeing as you've stepped forward as a judge of boring exhausts, what flamboyant exotica have you for an exhaust on the V Strom?

Ah this wont do at all!!:)
    The pipe is that length because Michel Kadenacy said so. If it were longer or shorter the magic wouldnt happen. The flat steel is that rather saucy light and strong gear from the exotic side of the periodic table.
    Your penance is spark plugs on a zx12r and a valve clearances on a nc30. Go in peace my son:p:)

You'd think he'd know more about back pressure carrying the chip around :pac:
    When you ask for someone to repair a dent and someone pipes up suggesting a sticker,they must be taking the piss.

It's titanium I'll have you know :D

And seeing as you've stepped forward as a judge of boring exhausts, what flamboyant exotica have you for an exhaust on the V Strom?

No sure the vstrom is boring but Less so. It has a heat guard. Which was also boring. I had the head shield sprayed black. Decent contrast on it now.

I am the exhaust visual god

• Advertisement

No sure the vstrom is boring but Less so. It has a heat guard. Which was also boring. I had the head shield sprayed black. Decent contrast on it now.

A HEAT SHIELD SPRAYED BLACK?????
    Fùck me why didn't you say so? :pac:

So,can anyone recommend a nice sticker to cover a dent on an exhaust please?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Exhaust-Pipe-Tip-Muffler-Silencer-Rotating-Gatling-Gun-32-5mm-Inlet-/153102894147
    Very not boring!!:eek::pac:

A HEAT SHIELD SPRAYED BLACK?????
    Fùck me why didn't you say so? :pac:

So,can anyone recommend a nice sticker to cover a dent on an exhaust please?

https://m.banggood.com/Motorcycle-Exhaust-Muffler-Heat-Shield-Strip-Anti-scalding-Protector-Cover-p-1389480.html

Cover dent breakup the flat titanium

Just giving you ideas fella. Body shops not going to straighten out a titanium exhaust for you. Or you could look at it all the time giving out :)

Fück sake, had to change it.
    Conscious now of going around with a boring exhaust.
    Hope the new one is better :D

IMG-20191026-170929.jpg

That looks unreal man

Also kudos for the note toasting this jolly with a beer :) :P

That looks unreal man

Also kudos for the note toasting this jolly with a beer :) :P

Or maybe the Akrapovic?
    I don't know it's a tough one :pac::pac:

IMG-20190709-110201.jpg

Not sure. Theres stickers on that one

Not sure. Theres stickers on that one

So u think the Ti Evo with the dent could do with a sticker even if it had no dent?

So u think the Ti Evo with the dent could do with a sticker even if it had no dent?

Nah who needs stickers

• Advertisement

Nah who needs stickers

I had a deal done with a lad in UK for a set of shotguns but he reneged when he found someone else that could pick them up so he couldn't be bothered sending them to me.

I'm onto a guy In Italy at the moment trying to buy these.
    I photoshopped to see what they'd look like

I like em!
    Screenshot-20191028-154829-01.jpg

Screenshot-20191028-160420-01.jpg

Advertisement