Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The only OEM bar ends I've ever seen are a single piece of solid metal.

I had to do this the other day to fit heated grips, the screw is Loctited at the factory. A cloth and vice grips on the bar end itself got them off easily enough, the screw itself wouldn't budge (until the bar end started to rotate and then it rotated with it) and I didn't want to try an impact driver on it. Loctite the screw when replacing.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Wait a minute ... why on earth do you want bar end mirrors?
    Hotblack D's version could be the correct answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They look kewl*

* allegedly. I think they look crap!!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

today I took a complete shed of a dead , er, bike......and brought it back to life !!

note the, er, novel wiring loom....

https://youtu.be/nyiO7ntZtRA

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

..the wiring loom had been truly butchered, so took a while to sort.....

...the fact it ran was one thing: the fact that all the Italian electrons turned up and did they were told was an even bigger surprise.

https://youtu.be/4DZAffwX_aA

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

2010 FJR with 90k kms and this year I had ad electrical problems while on holidays with the earth spiders 08-11 fjr had this problem. Stripped all plastic off and cut off 4 of the 8 spiders which are prone to heat and cause weird electrical problems. No headlights, or indicators. Fans stop working and in extreme cases motorcycle stops and no start. Hot weather where the fans cut in regularly seems to be the main culprit. Wired the fan earths and headlight earths direct to the battery so taking most of the load from the spiders. This is the recommended fix as the Yamaha fix only moves the problem to another spider.Hopefully further problems solved, Attached picture shows the No.8 spider behind nearside headlamp And the really burned one No.4 left hand side under tank. Very little or no room the big issue
    Began this fix on Thursday morning and started the bike after the fix last evening. Everything is good. Plastics to be put on today. Plastic ready to go back on.
    P9300030.jpg
    P9300031.jpg
    Spider-4.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Had similar problem a couple of years ago in France. The one behind the left side horn was like your no 4. I cut it off and joined the wires with a block connector and taped it up. Got me home and I soldered it up when home. Went to Italy last year and no problems since.

D3V!L wrote: »
    I removed the Tour Pak from my Ultra Limited with the help of my missus yesterday (it's f*cking heavy), fitted a solo seat and some new slightly forward footboards. It gives me two extra inches of room.

490814.jpg

Lovely, I love the bagger look : although I admit the rear box has it's uses.

There again, I have an FLHRSI with the removable rack, and I have adapted a Givi on there. On & Off in 5 seconds (rack & all), with no tools.

I'd love to change the OE saddle, and maybe bars. Trying to figure out what saddle would be an improvement without actually trying one is a major PITA(sic). Bars are even more complicated.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Managed to pick up some dirty fuel somewhere.
    Opened up the fuel pump and cleaned out the teabag filter inside.
    https://ibb.co/5Lcj6xY

https://ibb.co/7Jj7zjb

Today, well, Sunday really........I broke an engine case bolt.

That's just bloody great :cool:

493020.png

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

galwaytt wrote: »
    Today, well, Sunday really........I broke an engine case bolt.

That's just bloody great :cool:

Can you drill it out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Stainless and alloy are a bad combination. I've had that happen to me too many times to count with stainless bolts.
    Mild steel all the way or High tensile if needed.
    That doesn't look like too bad access for drilling out fortunately.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Can you drill it out ?

Yeah, but it'll be touch & go tbh. Drilling A2 is a complete PITA. The other one came out eventually, but took ages. I had heated the cases and everything and was oh-so-gentle, back & forth, back & forth, the odd smack of a hammer etc, dosed it in fluid, the lot.

As CJH points out - stainless & Alu are a bad mix. Looks great, but you don't ever want to have to take it apart when it's old. The galvanic reaction basic welds the two bloody metals together.

I shall take my time with this one: if this goes pear-shaped, the engine is for the bin.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

when going back together use anti-seize

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Unless you're very happy with your skills, your drill and bits i'd explore the option of having a stainless nut tigged onto the stump, assuming thats possible.
    As you rightly point out a2's a balls.

H_Lime wrote: »
    Unless you're very happy with your skills, your drill and bits i'd explore the option of having a stainless nut tigged onto the stump, assuming thats possible.
    As you rightly point out a2's a balls.

Yeah - I'm very much on the fence about that: the problem is, I can TIG a nut on there handy enough, but the lug is very small, and it was so tight in the first place I'm not convinced the the stub will thread out or worse, won't burst the case.

Balls is too small a word for it really.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yeah - I'm very much on the fence about that: the problem is, I can TIG a nut on there handy enough, but the lug is very small, and it was so tight in the first place I'm not convinced the the stub will thread out or worse, won't burst the case.

Balls is too small a word for it really.

I've never had a bolt in this instance pull threads or break its lug but all I'm doing is looking at a fuzzy stub sticking out of a case on the net so you know best.
    Perhaps wire wool, heat with a fine torch and wash it with plusgas or rost off (wurth) and then try a left hand m8 bit once your pilot is square n central. I always explore all options before drilling as i nearly always get drift in stainless.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you can heat the case and bolt first and keep applying the cold shock type lubricants before you go at it it may help to break the bond between the bolt and alloy threads.
    I would try using an air grinder at very high rpm with a small ball end carbide bit to get the end of the bolt down far enough to pick at least 3 threads out with a pick.
    Then centre drill a 10mm cap screw and thread that into the threads and put a brand new sharp cobalt drill down the hole and start drilling.
    You may need more than one drill bit with A2 plenty of pressure at slow speed with lube and you will make some kind of progress.
    Once you get close to the actual thread size a Lefthand bit might just be able to get enough torque to back it out.

How long is the threaded shank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Best auto mechanic\diagnostician ive seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnXu1tLJT8M

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If you can heat the case and bolt first and keep applying the cold shock type lubricants before you go at it it may help to break the bond between the bolt and alloy threads.
    I would try using an air grinder at very high rpm with a small ball end carbide bit to get the end of the bolt down far enough to pick at least 3 threads out with a pick.
    Then centre drill a 10mm cap screw and thread that into the threads and put a brand new sharp cobalt drill down the hole and start drilling.
    You may need more than one drill bit with A2 plenty of pressure at slow speed with lube and you will make some kind of progress.
    Once you get close to the actual thread size a Lefthand bit might just be able to get enough torque to back it out.

How long is the threaded shank?

Good tips. Was going to go at it today but.....the sun came out. Went for a spin instead.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

Best auto mechanic\diagnostician ive seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnXu1tLJT8M

Brilliant.

You'd nearly go looking for broken stuff after watching that.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭newmember2

Bought two new tyres off the net and have established (for anyone in the Dublin/Wicklow area) that Maddocks in Bray will balance for a tenner a wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭batman_oh

newmember? wrote: »
    Bought two new tyres off the net and have established (for anyone in the Dublin/Wicklow area) that Maddocks in Bray will balance for a tenner a wheel.

He'll also balance whatever pole he used to remove the rear wheel (250nm) into your fairing, scraping it and then swear blind that the mark was there when the bike was left in. One experience with the shop, and they were a$$holes
    Never again :mad:

Wheels off myself usually but just didn't have the required leverage on the first tyre change!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

batman_oh wrote: »
    He'll also balance whatever pole he used to remove the rear wheel (250nm) into your fairing, scraping it and then swear blind that the mark was there when the bike was left in. One experience with the shop, and they were a$$holes

Wheels off myself usually but just didn't have the required leverage on the first tyre change!

Leverage.. pffffft

Muscles man , muscles

:)

listermint wrote: »
    Leverage.. pffffft
    Muscles man , muscles
    :)

3 year old tyres and 250nm aren't a great combo! :pac:
    Bought a 400nm rated impact wrench that failed miserably after 3 days of trying (good hearing damage though) and eventually managed to find the perfect solution - a 7 foot lump of scaffolding pole that either opens the bolt or breaks the breaker bar head. Win! :pac:

Freshly rebuilt and power coated rims brought to a shop in Cork under the assumption he was tidy and wouldn't scrape them...and he scraped them.
    Ever since i saved for a manual tyre changer, alloy mate bar and balancer. Bought all the professional kit for mushroom patches too. Enough was enough.

Get yourselves one of these lads
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Static-WHEEL-BALANCER-Portable-STAND-UK-SP/183992370857?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40744%26meid%3D8350b6ab6f514b349fe8713194d45f68%26pid%3D100935%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D312796772612%26itm%3D183992370857%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2332490&_trksid=p2332490.c100935.m2460

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭newmember2

You're not inspiring me with confidence so I'll have to see how I get on with him. I'll just be bringing him the wheels. Was posting mainly for those buying tyres off the internet with nowhere to get their wheels balanced.

newmember? wrote: »
    You're not inspiring me with confidence so I'll have to see how I get on with him. I'll just be bringing him the wheels. Was posting mainly for those buying tyres off the internet with nowhere to get their wheels balanced.

I'm sure he'll be grand with just the wheels. Hard to make a balls of that! Although possible :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Over the years I've learnt that everybody can make a **** up, reputation or not.
    It's the cover up or denial that make them pricks in my book.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Over the years I've learnt that everybody can make a **** up, reputation or not.
    It's the cover up or denial that make them pricks in my book.
    Second that!

As yer all waiting with baited breath for an update lol

20191001-210055.jpg

20191008-180215.jpg

20191018-185100.jpg

20191013-130202.jpg
    Busa can transplants a success.
    Will go up the main jet to 125 to be safe but it runs fantastic and loves the backpressure. Louder than stock by about 15% but only in bass, sounds sweet actually. Clears the caliper through full stroke too.

20191019-191526.jpg
    Stock arrived for the caliper adapter Im using on the 4 potter. Sh1te brakes be gone!:)

Advertisement