Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Get a spray can of WD-40 DRY PTFE Lube. Had the same issue with my key but this sorted it out.

I think its recommended because it's 'dry', so doesn't attract stuff that could make it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Have an annoying slow puncture (at least the TPMS is good for keeping an eye on it). Slathered the back wheel in soapy water, found nothing.

Anybody tried tyre sealants - Slime etc.? any use? any problems with them?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Won't work on a leak at the rim or in the sidewall.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's expanding foam ones too, but they're usually high pressure cans meant to inflate the tyre too in emergency so not sure how well they last. Pretty sure you also need to know which section of tyre is leaking and have that as the low point.

Personally would use bead sealer on rims first and see how that works.

Bead sealer? Not heard that term before - got any brand names I should look up?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Still working on same tin I bought ages ago so can't compare, whatever's cheaper or handiest to buy

Paint it on both surfaces and then fully fit tyre, it takes ages to dry and looks manky if you just plaster it on so just on the joining surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Oiled the petrol cap, a little while back, so it seems okay. The petrol isn't going down on days when it's not used. Ethanol is an ever present water absorbing menace (and growing once E10 becomes the rule). One way of helping (I am told) is replacing existing rubber piping with modern piping of a suitable grade. Now that might only be an issue with older (than 2002) bikes, but that is a simpler sort of job (albeit not super simple on the Magna which needs the radiator loosened and moved to access front plugs). Honda Magnas are no bother bikes tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

May be possible to replace the seal on the petrol cap or even the petrol cap itself

Or if you had loads of money you could only put super unleaded in it

You know the stuff that is just the old unleaded petrol without the ethanol at an inflated price and a new name :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It seems to be keeping a seal over the past few weeks. Not sure how common super unleaded is nowadays. A number of petrol stations sell a more expensive petrol, but it doesn't appear to be higher octane fuel, but maybe it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Old fuel line could dissolve with ethanol and wouldn't be good for the carbs or engine.

just get decent fuel line and Ethanol proof gaskets for the carbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭geotrig

Added some shorty levers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Yay for decreased leverage!

Never got the point of those. Usually when people end up with short levers after a crash they feel the need to replace them 😁

Life ain't always empty.

Theyre nice for off road and trail riding. can keep one or two fingers over them for control.

I'm not bothered on my two road bikes, but I'm tempted for the DR

also some knucklegaurds don't fit full lenth levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭geotrig

yeah was on the fence on them myself and wouldn't think they are suitable to have on all bikes ,it just makes it more comfortable with the bar end mirrors on this bike (mto7) and works for me ,"short" is been generous though as not much between them and the original levers !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Headed off for a spin and got up the road and noticed I had no back brake.

Back home and bled the system but this had little or no effect.

No sign of leak anywhere.

I then adjusted the push rod in the master cylinder.

This seems to have done the job... for now at least.

Strange one.

Needless to say theres something up there.

Whatya reckon Blade, the crazy heat at the mo and the weird placement of the master right on the engine coupled with hard use cause it boil fluid? Caliper binding any?

Air get into the system?

If i was to take a stab its possible there was residual air in the system what with the mad design of the nipple placement, most rear brakes on our bikes have this. Perhaps with the above it caused it?

Give bleeding a go with the caliper in your hand and sidewaya slightly, it usually burbs out a fat air bubble. Youve prob bled it this way but worth mentioning just in case?

You could have probably guessed I had the caliper off and bleed nipple above everything else when bleeding.

A prick of a system.

Not sure what was going on tbh.

Lever was bottoming out and no pressure at all.

No sign of air in system and fluid was up to the max line.

A first for me anyway.

Not that the rear brake on these are much good anyway but I alway use it to varying degrees depending on surface etc.

I did say "Youve prob bled it this way but worth mentioning just in case"

Turning it sideways is worth mentioning again. Just. In. Case. Like.

Failing all tgat shyte your seal is gone/going so id say.

Inspect the bore before resealing.

I can lock the rear (if i was inclined) on me capo but yah a scooter rear brake set up if there ever was one.

• Advertisement

similar issue at the moment with the R100 rear brake. Took it off the mount, held it so the bleed nipple was the highest point and got more air out, but still not great.

Front brakes are fine.

Mine are better perfect since I adjusted the push rod in the master cylinder.

I'll be doing a more thorough inspection when I get a chance though as it's probably too good to be true.

Came out to a leaking fork this morning.

The oul homemade sealmate to the rescue.

Seems to have done the job.

I've never owned a bike with USD forks, do they tolerate a bit of a weep for a while or do you wake up one morning to a puddle of oil?

That said, when my RWU fork seal blew, the fcukin' thing pissed out most of the oil in one go over a speed bump!

Life ain't always empty.

The usual scenario is if the bike hasn't been used for a while,then when you go for a spin it leaks.

I hadn't ridden the bike in 3 or 4 weeks until Friday.

When I got back on Friday it was probably leaking but didn't notice it until Saturday.

Not a drop out it now after giving it a good testing 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I'm assuming the testing was on a bench and followed the prescribed manner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I got my bike to levitate briefly....with some assistance... :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭robbie_63

Bought some ACF50 last week, gave it a go yesterday.

Happy enough with the results it gives the frame, engine a real shine so hopefully will protect it now over the winter as I ride through all seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

I find that you have to reapply it after washing and after prolonged driving in heavy rain.

It does work brilliantly of you do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭robbie_63

Yeah I was wondering that as some ppl say they only apply once a year,

I wouldn't mind redoing it every few weeks as it doesn't take too long to give it a quick spray over the main areas

Advertisement