Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pretty nice alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Rode a mille with them and they look/sound sweet but I remember they foul your heel. Literally had to put toes on outside of the peg and heel out kinda arseways. My rene dual underseat was the same but less so:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

H_Lime wrote: »
    Rode a mille with them and they look/sound sweet but I remember they foul your heel. Literally had to put toes on outside of the peg and heel out kinda arseways. My rene dual underseat was the same but less so:(

Yeah I don't see a heel guard on them which the ones I was supposed to be getting had.
    This are the ones I was meant to get.
    Came with chip,carbon hanger and paperwork.
    And they were only £100
    Screenshot-20191028-171449.jpg

There were other designs of dual mount with a token scallop to allow some of your heel. That design in your pic there is what i remember riding and it was a bit of a fly in ointment. Mightnt be an issue for you though. 100 yoyo gamble for them is worth a roll I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

There were other designs of dual mount with a token scallop to allow some of your heel. That design in your pic there is what i remember riding and it was a bit of a fly in ointment. Mightnt be an issue for you though. 100 yoyo gamble for them is worth a roll I reckon

He told me he'd box them up and send them to me.
    Few hours later they were marked sold and when I contacted him he said too much hassle to send.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Just fitted a set of Oxford grips.
    I tested them out with the bike on and I couldn't really notice a difference with 25%-100%. Also I could of swore when I fitted a set of these years ago,the 100% was too hot to touch with my bare hands ., I could be imagining that tho.
    Can anyone confirm that has Oxford heated grips if there's actually much difference between the lowest and highest setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

honda boi wrote: »
    Just fitted a set of Oxford grips.
    I tested them out with the bike on and I couldn't really notice a difference with 25%-100%. Also I could of swore when I fitted a set of these years ago,the 100% was too hot to touch with my bare hands ., I could be imagining that tho.
    Can anyone confirm that has Oxford heated grips if there's actually much difference between the lowest and highest setting?

Last time I used them the hottest setting was way to hot to use for more than a few minutes.

Replaced the fugly touring screen the previous owner had on the bike, it developed a crack, which I was quite happy about. The usual scenario of finding lots of non standard bolts happened, who knew halfords did windscreen screws?!

Fair play to givi, the screen fits around the handguards on full lock by mm.

493953.jpg

Nice result on the screen re lock to lock. Is this one much different in terms of wind protection, any buffeting?
    There's precious few "modern" bikes I'd consider worth owning but that's one of them. How do you rate it, in particular the ergos, fuelling and suspension?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

I fitted a Healtech gear indicator to my Fz6 (https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/gipro/gpxt/). Even though I'd kind of gotten used to not having it, it was something I found useful on the MT07 I did the IBT on plus it was fun to get in under the tank for the first time!:D

A combination of Haynes manual and a bit of Youtube were a massive help locating the crankshaft position sensor wire. The instructions with the kit recommended programming while on a stand. The bike has a centre stand but I didn't fancy risking it, particularly on a gravel driveway! So once fitted I went for a spin down a nice straight road to work up through the gears. Quite pleased to say it works flawlessly.:D:D

I was also glad I didn't put it off as I discovered when I lifted the tank that what I think is the fuel tank drain hose (one of the small hoses that pushs onto the barbs under the tank - this one on the kickstand side) had become disconnected. This had almost definitely occurred when I dropped the bike :o:o the week before (first and hopefully last time but that's probably naive!).

• Advertisement

Nice result on the screen re lock to lock. Is this one much different in terms of wind protection, any buffeting?
    There's precious few "modern" bikes I'd consider worth owning but that's one of them. How do you rate it, in particular the ergos, fuelling and suspension?

Haven't actually taken it for a spin yet. I know some people complain about buffeting with the stock screen, this one isn't vastly different, it's wider but the same height and with a lip at the top.

Ergos are perfect for me. Different to other bikes but I can't complain about them. It took 2 very long touring days in the saddle for me to get anyway uncomfortable and all the conotrols are where they should be.

Fuelling drives me mad coming from the cbf1000 which probably has the finest fuelling of any bike. Had I gone from my VFR to this it probably wouldn't have bothered me as much. A nice cheap O2 controller sorted slow speed throttle snatch but the on/off throttle snatch is still there and becomes noticeable as soon as the chain picks up some slack. Regular chain adjustment is needed.

Suspension, people complain about this all the time. I've done a track day on it and I found it fine. The only time I notice that it's a bit soft is when I'm hard on the brakes and the front tends to dive but I noticed that more around town than I did on the track (emergency stops). I've adjusted it in line with the usual guidelines but it probably needs to be setup stiffer than usual, when it comes to changing the oil I'll go with something thicker.

I'd highly recommend the bike and the only thing I'd really change would be the mapping, I'll probably remap it at some stage.

zubair wrote: »
    Haven't actually taken it for a spin yet. I know some people complain about buffeting with the stock screen, this one isn't vastly different, it's wider but the same height and with a lip at the top.

Ergos are perfect for me. Different to other bikes but I can't complain about them. It took 2 very long touring days in the saddle for me to get anyway uncomfortable and all the conotrols are where they should be.

Fuelling drives me mad coming from the cbf1000 which probably has the finest fuelling of any bike. Had I gone from my VFR to this it probably wouldn't have bothered me as much. A nice cheap O2 controller sorted slow speed throttle snatch but the on/off throttle snatch is still there and becomes noticeable as soon as the chain picks up some slack. Regular chain adjustment is needed.

Suspension, people complain about this all the time. I've done a track day on it and I found it fine. The only time I notice that it's a bit soft is when I'm hard on the brakes and the front tends to dive but I noticed that more around town than I did on the track (emergency stops). I've adjusted it in line with the usual guidelines but it probably needs to be setup stiffer than usual, when it comes to changing the oil I'll go with something thicker.

I'd highly recommend the bike and the only thing I'd really change would be the mapping, I'll probably remap it at some stage.

Yeah Gary in mototuning is your man. I believe he can massage that snatch out. Ehh that sounds rude lol.
    I had a ktm990adv which did exactly as you describe and tried the usual fixes. Made it 50% better but tbh efi on a 1998 srad gixer 750 is flawless so why the f■○k they can't sort it today is frustrating. Suppose it's emissions entanglements but either way it was the principal reason I flipped her.
    If you like the bike and are keeping her book her in, should be different machine handed back to you.

Suspension sounds aok from you're saying. A tall rounder is gonna have dive and from your review it seems acceptable. If your over 15 stone I'd recommend some springs rather than changing oil weight perhaps.

Whats mpg/range like Zub?

20191029-213123.jpg20191029-213138.jpg
    More fun!:eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bikes these days are setup super lean for emissions, that's what leads to the super snatchy fuelling. A richer mixture is usually much softer in response and older bikes ran a lot richer.

Yeah Gary in mototuning is your man. I believe he can massage that snatch out. Ehh that sounds rude lol.
    I had a ktm990adv which did exactly as you describe and tried the usual fixes. Made it 50% better but tbh efi on a 1998 srad gixer 750 is flawless so why the f■○k they can't sort it today is frustrating. Suppose it's emissions entanglements but either way it was the principal reason I flipped her.
    If you like the bike and are keeping her book her in, should be different machine handed back to you.

Suspension sounds aok from you're saying. A tall rounder is gonna have dive and from your review it seems acceptable. If your over 15 stone I'd recommend some springs rather than changing oil weight perhaps.

Whats mpg/range like Zub?

I looked into the map already and it was mototuning that was most first choice.

I'm 12 stone, maybe the people who are slating it are heavier than me. There's no doubt it could be better but then I've yet to own a bike that hasn't had room for improvement when it comes to suspension. This is far from the worst of them. It handles great and inspires confidence in corners, I can handle some nose dive as a compromise.

Nice to have the consumption info on the bike, means I'm done with the maths, 5.5l/ 100km in standard mode 99% of the time and I tend to ride in a range where the "eco" light is off.

that the 700 or the 900? I know the 900 seems to have the fancy TFT screen on it and i think quick shifter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭GBX

@Zubair, mate of mine went from a CBF1000 to a Tracer. He got his sorted in Mototuning. Made a huge amount of difference to the snatchy throttle and fueling. Worth doing if you have the urge and want to iron out the annoyances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

The Tracer 900 is a great bike. Let us know how that screen works for you, I'm looking to buy some stage next year and the Tracer is on the list but the stock screen on the one I rode was brutal.

listermint wrote: »
    that the 700 or the 900? I know the 900 seems to have the fancy TFT screen on it and i think quick shifter

900, the tft screen and quick shifter wasn’t added until 2018 though. Some versions you can fitbthe Yamaha QS as an aftermarket part, there’s no blipper though so I’m happy enough to just clutchless shift.
    GBX wrote: »
    @Zubair, mate of mine went from a CBF1000 to a Tracer. He got his sorted in Mototuning. Made a huge amount of difference to the snatchy throttle and fueling. Worth doing if you have the urge and want to iron out the annoyances.

Gas! Same change over haha. I can understand why he got it mapped, The CBF fuelling is perfect. It’s very noticeable between these 2 bikes, I test rode the tracer twice when I had the VFR and never noticed it.

The Tracer 900 is a great bike. Let us know how that screen works for you, I'm looking to buy some stage next year and the Tracer is on the list but the stock screen on the one I rode was brutal.

Will do. Great thing about the tracer is the amount of quality aftermarket parts available.

So had some crack yesterday evening commute home. Mix of motorway and national road. but last 3km is rural road (no lights)

Came to the sudden realisation that i could see absolutely nothing in front of me on the road.

I had no headlights (none)

the small side lights are not connected to headlights power so whilst i could see their reflection in my wind visor it made it look like i had lights. But no i drove all the way home.

The starter switch controls the power to the headlights and there was some minor corrosion and dirt on the relay inside it resulting in now power.

made it home watching the white centre line and driving slow. Absolutely no fun at all.

Fixed now had it fixed in 20 minutes last night cleaned up

• Advertisement

Also to the lad on the new CB1000R wearing chinos and flat shoes in the pissings of rain. Cop yourself on :P some amount of new bikers fluting around with no gear on ive noticed an uptick in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

listermint wrote: »
    So had some crack yesterday evening commute home. Mix of motorway and national road. but last 3km is rural road (no lights)

Came to the sudden realisation that i could see absolutely nothing in front of me on the road.

I had no headlights (none)

the small side lights are not connected to headlights power so whilst i could see their reflection in my wind visor it made it look like i had lights. But no i drove all the way home.

The starter switch controls the power to the headlights and there was some minor corrosion and dirt on the relay inside it resulting in now power.

made it home watching the white centre line and driving slow. Absolutely no fun at all.

Fixed now had it fixed in 20 minutes last night cleaned up

Put a bit of vaseline on the terminals as well as on the connector, helps keep any moisture away on these damp days.
    Dielectric grease if you are bothered but I found the Aldi vaseline works quite well.

I replaced the windscreen on the Multistrada with a shorter Puig screen. The wind noise and buffeting from the oem screen was doing my head in. The bikes only flaw so far. Over 100kph and the wind noise is loud enough that I couldn't even hear the exhaust. Most of the forums suggest that the shorter screens work better, no way I was paying the guts of 300 quid for Ducatis's shorter screen though. Got this from conquest racing in the UK for just under 100 euro. They do lots of nice stuff for ducatis.
    It's been pouring rain all day so haven't had a chance to properly test the screens effect yet, hopefully it will dry up a bit over the weekend.

[IMG][/img]FnFWp6T.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Howd you get on with that bolt ye sheared buddy?

no luck yet.

today TIG a washer on, then a nut and then.....ping. sheared. 2nd attempt no better.

I have had some drill bushes turned up, so tomorrow I crack out the drill...it'll either go swimmingly. ...or clusterF entirely. ....

494242.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    no luck yet.

today TIG a washer on, then a nut and then.....ping. sheared. 2nd attempt no better.

I have had some drill bushes turned up, so tomorrow I crack out the drill...it'll either go swimmingly. ...or clusterF entirely. ....

494242.jpg

Lol she's in like flynn my mate as well ya know!!
    Anyone doing spark erosion about you? No experience of it myself.
    Time to get out the centre punch and bless yourself!! You'll make a necklace pendant out of the bastard once you free it Galway!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This guy claims you can dissolve a steel bolt/tap in an aluminium casing using suphuric acid.

http://www.dansmc.com/acid.htm

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Most of the forums suggest that the shorter screens work better, no way I was paying the guts of 300 quid for Ducatis's shorter screen though.

I'm a fan of short screens myself, take the wind blast off your chest but leave your lid above the turbulent (noisy) air.

Yesterday I fitted the Denali Sound Bomb Mini to the SV1k, had to extend both the bracket and the wiring. Found a stainless bracket in the shed off a replacement horn for a previous bike, bolted that to the original and put a 90 degree bend on the end of it. Was a bit stumped on the wiring (didn't want to cut into the OEM loom - and the prices Halfrauds charge for connectors etc is sinful) until I twigged I had a broken rec/reg from the Triumph sitting there. Unbelievably, the entire alternator output on that bike went through standard size connectors. A bit of hacksawing freed them from the plastic and I could solder up a little "plug and play" wiring loom extension and put some heat shrink tubing from Lidl onto it.

Not sure about the Denali though, not as loud as I'd hoped and it's a very low pitch - dunno how that will stand out in traffic. I'll give it a try tomorrow but I might have to get the full Sound Bomb (needs a relay) or air horns - had them on the Triumph and they were great but hard to see where to site them on this bike.

Need to put in a DIN power socket too, for occasional trickle charging and to run my air pump. Since I got stuck with a puncture a few years ago I carry it in the top box all the time as well as sticky string.

Life ain't always empty.

I'm a fan of short screens myself, take the wind blast off your chest but leave your lid above the turbulent (noisy) air.

Yesterday I fitted the Denali Sound Bomb Mini to the SV1k, had to extend both the bracket and the wiring. Found a stainless bracket in the shed off a replacement horn for a previous bike, bolted that to the original and put a 90 degree bend on the end of it. Was a bit stumped on the wiring (didn't want to cut into the OEM loom - and the prices Halfrauds charge for connectors etc is sinful) until I twigged I had a broken rec/reg from the Triumph sitting there. Unbelievably, the entire alternator output on that bike went through standard size connectors. A bit of hacksawing freed them from the plastic and I could solder up a little "plug and play" wiring loom extension and put some heat shrink tubing from Lidl onto it.

Not sure about the Denali though, not as loud as I'd hoped and it's a very low pitch - dunno how that will stand out in traffic. I'll give it a try tomorrow but I might have to get the full Sound Bomb (needs a relay) or air horns - had them on the Triumph and they were great but hard to see where to site them on this bike.

Need to put in a DIN power socket too, for occasional trickle charging and to run my air pump. Since I got stuck with a puncture a few years ago I carry it in the top box all the time as well as sticky string.
    I'm thinking of getting one of those denali sound bombs alright, but I think crash bars will be the next mod. Sw motech and givi do reasonably priced ones but altrider do a really sturdy looking set but they are a lot more expensive. Also need a new helmet and boots but I'm skint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I'm thinking of getting one of those denali sound bombs alright, but I think crash bars will be the next mod. Sw motech and givi do reasonably priced ones but altrider do a really sturdy looking set but they are a lot more expensive. Also need a new helmet and boots but I'm skint!

Black Friday is coming lad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I bought the mini Bomb and it's..............o.k.

I did however pick up a set of used 5-series twin horns from a scrappy and by jingo but they're good. (off the battery on the bench at any rate).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement