Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

H_Lime wrote: »

Damn that's deadly!.. Gonna order one now, thank you :)

I usually use a sink plunger to pull of dents but this looks the business :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Just bought it, didn't tell the wife though :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭H_Lime

blade1 wrote: »
    @ H_Lime
    These have popped up for sale in Germany.
    I'm trying to resist buying them as a Christmas present to myself.

Akrapovic SBK Factory replica system
    Screenshot-20191206-175321-01.jpg
    Cans have seen some action. Are the headers a big draw for you and can your mint cans go on them?

No worries;)
    Couple tips I learnt Mak... clean the puck, glue stick and surface with Isopropyl or brake cleaner and preheat it and the surface.
    When applying the glue to the puck cover the mating surface entirely with about 5mm or so thickness of glue.
    Don't press it on hard enough to bottom it out against the panel or it pops off first strike of the hammer. Let it set for 10mins.
    You have to be perfectly at right angles to the puck orientation when hammering or... she pops off.
    Use as big as possible a puck where feasible, especially at the start when removing the initial debth to the dent.
    Drink lots of beer whilst doing this and I betcha your neighbours ask "can you do that to my car?!":)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Cans have seen some action. Are the headers a big draw for you and can your mint cans go on them?

The cans are even a big draw.
    The whole system even bigger.
    I've only a single akra.
    It's all the one now.
    I contacted the seller and he said someone in Slovakia is taking them.
    Gone in under 40 minutes :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

eBay is both a blessing and a curse :cool:

It's like the end of Bullseye. "Here's what you would have won" :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

eBay is both a blessing and a curse :cool:

A curse :o

And eBay is only the tip of the iceberg for me.

These beautiful Akra cans(for a different bike) have popped up on an Italian website.
    I have a set of carbon arrows on the bike but would love these :(

Screenshot-20191207-131009.jpg

This is gonna sound like heresy but if I were you I'd get something other than akra Blade. Everyone has them (no denying for good reason!) but I no longer give a bike with them a second glance, they're kinda ubiquitous.

This is gonna sound like heresy but if I were you I'd get something other than akra Blade. Everyone has them (no denying for good reason!) but I no longer give a bike with them a second glance, they're kinda ubiquitous.

Yep heresy.
    I'd like to know where you saw the same Akras as the ones sold last night?
    Or better again find me another set for a gen 1 Mille/Tuono.
    I know where there's a full tigcraft system for about a grand.
    Would that be more to your taste? :pac:

I'll take your informed word as gospel that they are indeed very rare akras. But they're just yet more akras to this infidel lol.

You read my mind on tigcraft:)

• Advertisement

I'll take your informed word as gospel that they are indeed very rare akras. But they're just yet more akras to this infidel lol.

You read my mind on tigcraft:)

Ah shur, you wouldn't be the worst :p :pac:
    Even the "Akras" on AliExpress for 20quid seem to fool some :pac:

Ya could always put an Ohlins sticker on them :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

Ya could always put an Ohlins sticker on them :pac:

If only we knew someone that's good at putting stickers on??? :pac:

Yesterday installed an SW-Motech DIN socket (with 1.6m wiring harness, battery terminals and fuse for 20 euro from motorcycleshop.ie - bargain!) for running my tyre pump and the occasional trickle charge. (Although the SV doesn't really need charging, the Triumph's charging system was always a bit marginal even though the bike was used 5 days a week every week.)

497164.jpg

497165.jpg

Today I installed Oxford LED front indicators (and resistors) in parallel with the completely shyte flush mounted LED indicators this bike came with.

497166.jpg

Rear ones will take a while longer as the wiring loom has been butchered when a previous eejit put the stupid tail tidy on, and I managed to snap the stem off one of the indicators by overtorquing it by not very much :( some epoxy should render it serviceable.

That's some bird sh!t on the SV logo btw :(

Life ain't always empty.

Yesterday installed an SW-Motech DIN socket for running my tyre pump and the occasional trickle charge. (Although the SV doesn't really need charging, the Triumph's charging system was always a bit marginal even though the bike was used 5 days a week every week.)

497164.jpg

497165.jpg

Today I installed Oxford LED front indicators (and resistors) in parallel with the completely shyte flush mounted LED indicators this bike came with.

497166.jpg

Rear ones will take a while longer as the wiring loom has been butchered when a previous eejit put the stupid tail tidy on, and I managed to snap the stem off one of the indicators by overtorquing it by not very much :( some epoxy should render it serviceable.

That's some bird sh!t on the SV logo btw :(
    Diggin the aux power feed, handy Yokes.
    Ya drill the fairing to mount the other indies HB?

Yup

Takes balls of steel to drill into virgin fairing :pac:

Had to dremel off a good bit of the yoke behind it as well, fcukin' used up about five cutting discs to cut off not very much plastic and was lucky to not lose an eye when the fcukers disintegrated multiple times. :)

Life ain't always empty.

Yup

Takes balls of steel to drill into virgin fairing :pac:

Had to dremel off a good bit of the yoke behind it as well, fcukin' used up about five cutting discs to cut off not very much plastic and was lucky to not lose an eye when the fcukers disintegrated multiple times. :)

Plastic melts as you cut and grips the disc most likely. Safety squints engaged:)
    So two sets of indys.... Is it a safety visibility buzz for commuting, will one set be left on as running lights kinda dealio?

Would have ditched the old ones but then there'd be a big ugly hole (much too big to mount the new ones in)

So if they were staying put I might as well leave them wired up in parallel, LEDs are only a couple of watts after all.

The old ones were fine from the side, but almost invisible from the front, not good. Also used to flash way too fast as there were no resistors.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I decided to make my own Ducati Streetfighter as I'm totes jealous of the new one :pac: (clean down and installing new forks!)
    image0.jpg
    image2.jpg

batman_oh wrote: »
    I decided to make my own Ducati Streetfighter as I'm totes jealous of the new one :pac: (clean down and installing new forks!)
    image0.jpg
    image2.jpg

That looks like a right c**t to work on :(

Why new forks?
    Track?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭batman_oh

blade1 wrote: »
    That looks like a right c**t to work on :(

Why new forks?
    Track?

It’s a mess alright - they have a lot of ingenious solutions for the no frame thing and some stuff is very hard to access. I’ve had it almost entirely apart quite a few times and some of it would drive you mental 🙈.
    The rebound damping is gone in the forks - it’s a common issue with the marzocchi and it’s a sealed cartridge so you can’t replace bits. I was waiting to see what came up for a while and managed to nab a set of unused panigale R Ohlins forks for a decent price. Had to replace the top triple and clamps as they are not as fat as the stock ones so was scouring the internet for a while for those too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

zubair wrote: »
    Similar experience for me, won't buy metz again, they're probably fine and the 01 is well reviewed but I was done with them. Don't get me started on Bridgestones.

Best tyres going for normal riding and wet weather are the pr4, r5 and dunlop rs3.

Just did a price check on a range of tyres, am I right in saying a set of the 01s are around 50 less than the PRs. How much did people pay for them? If that's the case I might have to eat my words.

Carbs, glorious Yokes, when they work. Step 1 strip and clean:) They were fair manky.
    IMG-20191228-204125.jpg

IMG-20191228-211428.jpg

IMG-20191228-211933.jpg
    Like new, well they will be when the parts arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Carbs, glorious Yokes, when they work. Step 1 strip and clean:) They were fair manky.
    IMG-20191228-204125.jpg

IMG-20191228-211428.jpg

IMG-20191228-211933.jpg
    Like new, well they will be when the parts arrive.

Decent size ultrasonic cleaner. Often thought they’d be a great yoke for carbs.
    What make is yours?
    What detergent do you use?

IMG-20200102-223339.jpg

IMG-20200102-223602.jpg
    Lifting the frame off is way easier than lifting the engine out;)

IMG-20200102-211449.jpg
    Dont want this coated.

IMG-20200102-233345.jpg

IMG-20200103-002128.jpg
    Thors hammer wasn't nt budging it so zapped the upper race into the lower and out she came.

IMG-20200102-235457.jpg
    She's fair kruddy. Jimmy sans mig wire from hamamatsu 31 yrs ago lol.

IMG-20200103-002416.jpg
    Off to the coaters now along with a heap of brackets and bits. Then it's throw it all back together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

DR750 ? I like the work bench too !

Scudster, I use 65 deg water, detergent and about 30ml vinegar. For detergent I have used mucoff but only ever a cap full in the 4 or 5 odd litres the machine can hold. Considering that's used neat it's very surprising how effective that **** is even in such dilute solution. It's also a base like the vinegar which is why I use it as that the preferred pH range for this craic so I'm led to believe.
    There's probably better homebrews out there but it works for me. Buy one, they're not as expensive as you might think on ebay and they are a fcukin godsend on carbs mate.

Bench had its 13th birthday there Airhead Eire, be lost without it. Has hinged drop down sides and a big removable ramp the width of the whole thing that I hang on the wall when not in use. All pretty much made out leftovers from building the place.
    How's yer new old beemer rebuild going mate? Pics! :)
    Oh and yes! She's a big;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I only had a single key for the Deauville, chip looks to be siliconed on, and I was a bit wary of losing it and having to buy a whole HISS lockset.
    New ID46 chipped key from a seller in Dublin and I made up a lead from some wire and a 1k ohm resistor and some mini croc clips from Lidl.
    The other end needed a mini two pin connector to connect to the ECU via the crank sensor.
    I had an old mudguard flap that had the required connector and just cut it off and soldered it on.
    After a few goes I managed to code to the new key to the HISS system so its good for the moment.

Vinegar is of course an acid, so if Muc-Off is alkaline they'll just neutralise each other.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Vinegar is of course an acid, so if Muc-Off is alkaline they'll just neutralise each other.

That's me failing chemistry right there so lol.

Advertisement