Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

Just heard him, a Scottish guy, again there on the news. You have to be able to provide proof that your car was inspected before going for NCT, ?

Did you catch his name? What news channel was he on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

RTE radio 1 8.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

coffeyt wrote: »
    Anyone aware if lift is required to test lights, had my test the other day and it failed just on dipped headlights being off. I have them fixed now and due for retest for next Tuesday but no point in taking it in if they can't check the lights as that was the only issue.
    Does anyone know if on retest they just check the problem area? Can anyone clarify?

Headlight test doesn't need the lift. You will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Henderson RTE1 Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2020/Statement-Issued-By-National-Car-Test-Service-NCT/

Is this part what the guy would mean by having a document saying undercarriage has been inspected by someone else?

I’m not mechanically minded at all but does the NCT inspection check things that a vehicle owner would never see?

Yes of course they do that's the whole point of the test.

Suspension, major structural points, emissions, lights, tyres, brakes and discs and much more.

The normal car owner would never look at their brake discs never mind getting under the car.

• Advertisement

Yes of course they do that's the whole point of the test.

Suspension, major structural points, emissions, lights, tyres, brakes and discs and much more.

The normal car owner would never look at their brake discs never mind getting under the car.

So vehicle owners do need to get and independent inspection and certification then as per responsibility of owner listed above?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

elperello wrote: »
    This is turning into a bit a farce.

In addition he said you should have the certificate for your previous test from 1 or 2 years ago.

Statements of clarification needed from AGS and RSA without delay.

The wording suggests that it is not mandatory. From https://www.thejournal.ie/nct-test-stopped-4985849-Jan2020/
    If someone is stopped by the gardaí and doesn’t have a full NCT certificate due to suspension of the full test, Henderson advised motorists to show a copy of the report that will be given to them at the NCT centre in lieu of the full certificate.

He also urged them to show evidence of having had the car prepared for the test at a repair garage prior to the NCT and their previous NCT cert if stopped by the gardaí

Surely, the NCT report from the partial test should be sufficient in these circumstances.

Having said that, I did prepare for my NCT (yesterday) by getting a full service done a couple of weeks ago. Would the service log sheet I received from the garage count as evidence of prep?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭jeffk

Herself in next thursday and has to take time off from work and then drive from Navan to Kells, so dont want to be doing that twice

Fired off an email to see, inbox probably full ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The NCT guy said that if you are stopped by the guards you have to be able to produce the partial report that the NCT are now issuing + a report -presumably from an authorised mechanic( which I presume to be a main dealer rip off merchant) showing that the car was inspected before going to the NCT. I don't like the sound of this..

There's two issues at play here.

One is the legal requirements which are are clear as mud so far. I expect we'll have clarification shorty.

But there is another conversation about the NCT not catching and not being responsible for defects beyond its remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Very Irish this

• Advertisement

So vehicle owners do need to get and independent inspection and certification then as per responsibility of owner listed above?

I think it's about the obligation that the vehicle you drive is road worthy. Which is regular servicing. Not just doing the NCT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

zepman wrote: »
    The wording suggests that it is not mandatory. From https://www.thejournal.ie/nct-test-stopped-4985849-Jan2020/

Surely, the NCT report from the partial test should be sufficient in these circumstances.

Having said that, I did prepare for my NCT (yesterday) by getting a full service done a couple of weeks ago. Would the service log sheet I received from the garage count as evidence of prep?

I'd personally suggest that it isn't sufficient. There could be defects on the car, only identified by reviewing it underneath. If it's not on the lift they aren't even measuring the thread on the tires.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

Would you keep working with a piece of equipment in your job if they told you it has the potential to fail and kill you but sure keep working away till they get it tested?

Absolutely not, obviously. Of course the test has to be stopped.

Anyway, that's not what I said, "the fact a tester could be killed" recognises the danger.

To be clear, what I'm saying is that the safety of the testers has be used as an excuse as to why the testing was stopped. But the root cause of the problem is improper testing done for many years. Fatigue doesn't happen overnight.

And there will be no consequences whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Apologies for not reading the whole thread, can someone tell me if they are issuing certs when a car goes through the NCT (and doesn't do the underbody/lift test).

If they are ... Then I would see this as a massive mess up and if they aren't then what's the point in having to go twice ...why not postpone all tests until the issue is resolved.

My wife is due to have her car tested next week, if our family car is not tested properly due to this issue, could the NCT people be responsible should something happen (touch wood) .... The car is in good condition but it's 9yrs old. (Timing belt getting done this week as odometer is at 160k), I'm sure car is fine, it's been serviced regularly for the past number of years...but the NCT is supposed to catch defective vehicles ... I'm extremely concerned that my kids may be travelling in an untested vehicle.

In fairness going back twice it not much different that a re-rest of you don't pass on something.

Another issue is that car service intervals may be longer than a NCT interval. So it's entirely reasonable you might not have a service between ncts. You might be getting just an oil change.

The NCT guy said that if you are stopped by the guards you have to be able to produce the partial report that the NCT are now issuing + a report -presumably from an authorised mechanic( which I presume to be a main dealer rip off merchant) showing that the car was inspected before going to the NCT. I don't like the sound of this..

To me this is looking like the thin edge of the wedge to make it mandatory to have your car inspected before it goes for NCT. SIMI's fingerprints are all over this.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭KrakityJones

What's the point in having to go twice ...why not postpone all tests until the issue is resolved.

Completely agree.
    Me : Hi I'd like you to check to see if my car is roadworthy please
    NCT : I can check a few bits for you .
    *nct check over the car*
    Me : So all done? Is it safe to drive?
    NCT : No idea, can't check most of the vital stuff, can't say if it's roadworthy sorry
    Me: Soo I just...drive away then?
    NCT : Yup. Sure come back in a few months. Bye bye, drive safe now.

There is utterly no point to doing the test as it stands as it is not fit for purpose so just cancel all tests until such time that they are able to do them. They had 24 hour/late testing a couple years back when they were snowed under - bring that back in when the lifts are fixed to clear the backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

This won't be good for the trade.

Hard to sell a car with a half NCT.

Will also affect re-tests due from failures over the last few weeks.

Lost sale of car today because of it, had it booked in for retest this morning and got a text last night to cancel it ( retest was on something it failed on that wasn't damaged! But that's another thread)
    Rebooked for Feb 12 on phone just now

To me this is looking like the thin edge of the wedge to make it mandatory to have your car inspected before it goes for NCT. SIMI's fingerprints are all over this.:cool:

I’ve never taken a car for a pre test before. It may have been serviced (depending when that was due) alright and I’ve have gone over lights, tyres, pads, etc, but any defects I’d leave to the NCT to tell me about and fix.

Why pay someone else for what the nct does anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

Just got a text that my retest appointment for this evening cancelled! God knows when they'll be back testing.
    So if I get stopped next week with out of date NCT could I get points!?
    Ring the booking line, I just got mine back in for Feb 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

beauf wrote: »
    In fairness going back twice it not much different that a re-rest of you don't pass on something.

But if your car didn't need a retest you're going back twice for no reason (and incurring the costs - fuel/tolls etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

I'd personally suggest that it isn't sufficient. There could be defects on the car, only identified by reviewing it underneath. If it's not on the lift they aren't even measuring the thread on the tires.

Agree with that.

But, if I'm stopped by the guards now after my current NCT expires, and all I can produce are (i) the "fail" report from the partial NCT test, (ii) the previous NCT cert (from a year ago), and (iii) my service log sheet from 2 weeks ago, what is the outcome I can expect?

...There is utterly no point to doing the test as it stands as it is not fit for purpose so just cancel all tests until such time that they are able to do them. ...

You are implying that the rest of the stuff they test has no value and no safety impact.

zepman wrote: »
    Agree with that.

But, if I'm stopped by the guards now after my current NCT expires, and all I can produce are (i) the "fail" report from the partial NCT test, (ii) the previous NCT cert (from a year ago), and (iii) my service log sheet from 2 weeks ago, what is the outcome I can expect?

I'm not a mechanic but I am able to service my car myself so what do I show the guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Apologies for not reading the whole thread, can someone tell me if they are issuing certs when a car goes through the NCT (and doesn't do the underbody/lift test).

If they are ... Then I would see this as a massive mess up and if they aren't then what's the point in having to go twice ...why not postpone all tests until the issue is resolved.

My wife is due to have her car tested next week, if our family car is not tested properly due to this issue, could the NCT people be responsible should something happen (touch wood) .... The car is in good condition but it's 9yrs old. (Timing belt getting done this week as odometer is at 160k), I'm sure car is fine, it's been serviced regularly for the past number of years...but the NCT is supposed to catch defective vehicles ... I'm extremely concerned that my kids may be travelling in an untested vehicle.

They are giving a partial cert to cover what is tested.

If you have concerns about your car ask the garage to give it a once over when they are doing the timing belt. The NCT won't be able to give you any reassurance until this lift problem is sorted.

I'm not a mechanic but I am able to service my car myself so what do I show the guard?

The whole point of this is who will get blamed if there an issue because something wasn't maintained properly. If you do it yourself you have take on that responsibility.

So how do the NCT make it not their responsibility. That's what's happening here... Because they are getting blamed for stuff that's not their remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

coffeyt wrote: »
    Anyone aware if lift is required to test lights, had my test the other day and it failed just on dipped headlights being off. I have them fixed now and due for retest for next Tuesday but no point in taking it in if they can't check the lights as that was the only issue.
    Does anyone know if on retest they just check the problem area? Can anyone clarify?
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Surely that's just a visual, and not a full retest?

It's not just a visual as it needs to use the test lane and headlight beam tester equipment at the start of the test lane. It doesn't need to use the lift.

If done within 28 days of the original test it does incur the reduced €28? retest fee but only the items that failed in the original test are retested.

If the retest is done more than 28 days after the original test then a full reinspection, at full cost and needing the use of the lift for visual inspection of the car + underbody would be needed.

If nothing else failed get the lights retested within 28 days of the original test and you should be good to go until the next periodic inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's being discussed on RTE radio1 now

Henderson RTE1 Radio.

This guy Henderson needs to be quizzed on this whole proof of pre inspection mullarkey.

• Advertisement

There was a time when showing the guard a €50 covered most things but Mick Wallace and Clare Daly f****d all that up.

Advertisement