Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CamelRider2k

A High Court judge has found there is nothing to "preclude" him from surrendering a Northern Irish man wanted in the UK to face multiple counts of manslaughter following the discovery of 39 dead Vietnamese nationals in a lorry trailer in Essex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

On one of the news channels last night, it said that the driver was getting one thousand pounds per passenger on those trailers, , so a few hours run earned these people a fair bit of money

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I suppose it has all stopped now, and will never happen again forevermore.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

goat2 wrote: »
    On one of the news channels last night, it said that the driver was getting one thousand pounds per passenger on those trailers, , so a few hours run earned these people a fair bit of money

40 k just for the driver?

No chance I reckon.

Boggles wrote: »
    40 k just for the driver?

No chance I reckon.

I thought it was a lot, but if those people are being charged five thousand each, then I could see the driver getting his share ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

goat2 wrote: »
    I thought it was a lot, but if those people are being charged five thousand each, then I could see the driver getting his share ,

Maybe it is, you would imagine it would have to be a fair lump of cash for the risk.

Still even if it is 40K this guy will spend at least 10 years in jail. 4 grand a year doesn't seem so good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Maybe it is, you would imagine it would have to be a fair lump of cash for the risk.

Still even if it is 40K this guy will spend at least 10 years in jail. 4 grand a year doesn't seem so good now.

Presumably any criminal assets will be seized so it’ll be €0/year

I would not like to be in his place, it was all a big fast money making racket, and it is no harm it has been brought to an end, but it is terrible that people died for this to be found out, lapses in security must have gone on

KiKi III wrote: »
    Presumably any criminal assets will be seized so it’ll be €0/year

Not sure if he will be subject to CAB, being a UK/NI resident. But anyway no one should profit from crime.

When we look at the scrotes running round the Northside of Dublin and Drogheda at the moment, I don't see any confiscation of assets there. But maybe it is an ongoing thing that takes time.

The only way to get them is in the cash goolies.

And another thing, one trafficker taken out, another will substitute surely.

Well that is the received wisdom regarding taking out the honchos in the drugs trade.

I dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Not sure if he will be subject to CAB, being a UK/NI resident. But anyway no one should profit from crime.

When we look at the scrotes running round the Northside of Dublin and Drogheda at the moment, I don't see any confiscation of assets there. But maybe it is an ongoing thing that takes time.

The only way to get them is in the cash goolies.

Scrotes? Next it will be immigrants or poor unfortunates on the dole on the receiving end of you ire. Be careful about elevating yourself above said people without knowing anything about their background/upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

just saw this mentioned on the 9oclock news, seems a long time ago now

Armagh lorry driver Maurice Robinson pleads guilty to 39 counts of manslaughter

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/armagh-lorry-driver-maurice-robinson-pleads-guilty-to-39-counts-of-manslaughter-39113828.html

Robinson appeared at court via video link alongside four other co-defendants. British Romanian Gheorghe Nica, 43, Romanian national Alexandru-Ovidiu Hanga, 27, Christopher Kennedy, 23, of Corkley Road in Darkley, Co Armagh, and Valentin Calota, 37, of Cossington Road in Birmingham,

Prosecutor William Emlyn Jones QC said a human trafficking conspiracy charge was being dropped in relation to Kennedy and Robinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Very early guilty plea?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A phrase you never see nowadays in the liberal media - unlawful immigration.

At least they are being tried in the UK courts and so will probably face consequences for their actions.

No consequences bar profits for the people smugglers in Africa and illegally across European borders - I doubt he can sleep at night or ever will again but I still hope they throw the book at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Edgware wrote: »
    Very early guilty plea?

Possibly advised to do so and probably not by his legal representative ;)

Plead guilty = no trial = less examination = less chance of higher ups being implicated = do your time in reasonable safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Not saying it IS related, but a friend of mine lives near some other parties wanted in relation to this crime and she says there is a lot of Gardai activity happening about now.

Hopefully some progress.

Edit: They got Ronan Hughes.

Witchie wrote: »
    Not saying it IS related, but a friend of mine lives near some other parties wanted in relation to this crime and she says there is a lot of Gardai activity happening about now.

Hopefully some progress.

Edit: They got Ronan Hughes.

Were they there the whole time? The Hughes brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Were they there the whole time? The Hughes brothers.

Yes, as far as I know. There was no international arrest warrant so they felt safe. I reckon that Mo's testimony last week was enough for the warrant. Still haven't gotten Christopher.

Ronan's wife was still posting photos of hair she had done in her wee hair cabin as she calls it a week or so ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a way to launder the cash coz she only does a handful of people a week. She also told one (now ex) customer that I personally know, that she has to do 2 sets of books for his business so it's not hard to know she knew what was going on and should be arrested as an accessory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

"A High Court judge has ordered the extradition of a Monaghan haulier to the United Kingdom, where he is wanted for allegedly trafficking 39 migrants found dead in a lorry container in Essex last year.

After the ruling, the High Court heard that Ronan Hughes, 40, wants to be surrendered to UK authorities "as soon as possible" and the order will come into effect on Monday."

So "Ronan Hughes, 40, wants to be surrendered to UK authorities "as soon as possible" - makes one wonder why he bothered wasting the Court's time contesting the European Arrest Warrant in the first place. Presumably the Irish taxpayer had the privilege of paying for his Senior Counsel.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/essex-lorry-case-high-court-rules-irishman-can-be-extradited-to-uk-for-manslaughter-charges-1004897.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,336 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sizeable sentences for everyone involved, from 27 years for the Romanian ringleader to 13.5 years for the driver on the UK side.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jan/22/essex-lorry-deaths-two-ringleaders-jailed-total

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sentences handed down today in this case. Sentences of 18 years and 13 years 4 months for the two drivers https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-55765213

• Registered Users Posts: 67,395 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sentences handed down today in this case. Sentences of 18 years and 13 years 4 months for the two drivers https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-55765213

I was expecting longer for all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

ROT IN HELL... SCUMBAGS.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully that sentencing acts as a deterrent.

Perhaps I am naive but what I just can't get my head around is that each of the victims paid £13k to the people smugglers to get them to the UK, would it not have been far easier with that kind of outlay to fly in as a legitimate 'tourist' for 2 weeks and just stay there?

Perhaps I am naive but what I just can't get my head around is that each of the victims paid £13k to the people smugglers to get them to the UK, would it not have been far easier with that kind of outlay to fly in as a legitimate 'tourist' for 2 weeks and just stay there?

they probably wouldn't get past the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

The judge did state that the Vietnamese 'ringleader', who recruited the migrants was still at large.

Reckon his sentence would be much stiffer, though I doubt very much somehow if he'll ever be apprehended. Sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,336 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Would seem an easier way to do it alright.

I'd assume that they would surely have tried that way originally - applied for a holiday visa in the UK embassy in Vietnam, filled in all the forms, application fees etc, but been rejected for the visa.

The UK Foreign Office is presumably on the ball about these things - a solo traveller (or even family) in their 30s/40s who's never previously went outside Vietnam, only recently got a passport & suddenly fancying 2 weeks exploring the royal castles of England probably sets of loads of alarm bells and flashing red lights.

American style consecutive sentences would have been appropriate in this case. 27 Years times 39 would be more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

Apparently it's extremely difficult to get a visitor's visa hence the need to turn to people smugglers.

All this sadly reminds me of a nail bar in a town near me where on every occasion I passed the premises, the manager was always standing at the door. I always thought it was strange at the time but looking back now, I reckon most of the Vietnamese workers were illegals and he was on the look out for a possible raid from Border Force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I cannot for the life of me understand how these are not full life sentences.
    39 people are dead. Horrific, excruciating deaths.
    Some of these men will be walking the streets in a decade or less.
    None of them deserve to see the light of day ever again.

Advertisement