Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Sounds like he's after doing a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Or accepted the inevitable.

Pleading guilty will shorten the sentence he's going to get.

And all those people who said he was a great guy, and wouldn't be capable of this. Just goes to show.......

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

NIMAN wrote: »

And all those people who said he was a great guy, and wouldn't be capable of this. Just goes to show.......

Greed. Pure and simple. Handy money turns them all
    Same as the Sean Quinn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

As I and many others suspected, he knew damn well what was going on and was part of it. When he pulled over the truck just down the road like fcuk it was to check the tyres- he had a very very bad feeling when he realised the container landed sealed and 'on'.

Just another greedy cowboy (he even has the hat) and now with blood on his hands.

During the hearing before Mr Justice Edis, he admitted conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration between 1 May, 2018 and 24 October, 2019.

How many people has he smuggled in?

• Advertisement

He is going to get a good long sentence regardless- make an example of him. They are far more liberal with the long sentences over here than the wishy washy sentences they hand out in Ireland.

Nah...he was caught red handed and is going to jail for a very long time.

In fact he may be safer in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Hopefully he spills the beans and takes the rest down as well.
    He didn't do it alone.

All involved deserve lengthy sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

How many people has he smuggled in?

How many pickups has he done from channel ports x how many per pickup. 39 is probably only the tip of a very big iceberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    He didn't do it alone.

There's defo a Loyalist ex-terrorist linkage. I'd say he'll be clever enough to say nothing.

• Advertisement

There's defo a Loyalist ex-terrorist linkage. I'd say he'll be clever enough to say nothing.

Hadn't picked up on that. Where's the source for that, haven't been following it too closely TBH, apologies for my laziness.
    Whoever is the brains behind it will be nice people to cross in any case.

Anyway still hope he's stupid enough to cough up the info. Guess depends on what sort of deal he's made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Hadn't picked up on that. Where's the source for that, haven't been following it too closely TBH, apologies for my laziness.
    Whoever is the brains behind it will be nice people to cross in any case.

Anyway still hope he's stupid enough to cough up the info. Guess depends on what sort of deal he's made.

Theres likely always links to one side or the other in the 'ex' category.
    Alleged "loyalist" drug-smuggling link to tragic 39 lorry deaths

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/thenorth/loyalist-drug-smuggling-lorry

It's amusing that he's always mentioned as 'Irishman'. He is Irish of course, but I'd have been expecting a few pro British folk to make a correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

He didn't do it alone.

May be he is afraid to give up the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I feel horrifically sad for that poor driver, he must be absolutely distraught.
    Shame on the media that named him and plastered his face all over their publications without a shred of evidence. I hope he takes them to the cleaners and makes a fortune off them for what they have done to him.
    Its just disgraceful that they could potentially ruin his reputation forever based on so little. People have taken their lives over far less (and I don't mean that in an insulting/dismissive way), I hope he's surrounded by supportive and helpful family & friends as he tries to come to terms with this media circus he unwittingly got caught up in.

What a ridiculous post of many made in here about the driver, offering opinions like this based on fresh air and without knowing the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Using the same route as loyalist drug smugglers? Bit tenuous to say there's 'defo' a loyalist paramilitary connection.

If the Hughes brothers were the prime movers behind this plot, I'd be astonished if guys from their background were working in any orchestrated way with loyalist groups. They certainly wouldn't be welcome back in the Armagh/Monaghan border area if that came out...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

If the Hughes brothers were the prime movers behind this plot, I'd be astonished if guys from their background were working in any orchestrated way with loyalist groups. They certainly wouldn't be welcome back in the Armagh/Monaghan border area if that came out...

depends which tribe they come from :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,403 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There's a few people eating humble pie over on his IG account.

They never thought he was guilty at all.

It's amusing that he's always mentioned as 'Irishman'. He is Irish of course, but I'd have been expecting a few pro British folk to make a correction.

Cheers for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

But how were people meant to know? I imagine if he was trusted with an operation like this, he was likely quite discreet about it.

Even though I didn't know at the time it happened whether he was guilty or not, I was and still am uncomfortable with how he was named as a suspect almost immediately. Even if there was a strong suspicion around him, the press should not be allowed that power

• Registered Users Posts: 16,403 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

But how were people meant to know? I imagine if he was trusted with an operation like this, he was likely quite discreet about it.

Even though I didn't know at the time it happened whether he was guilty or not, I was and still am uncomfortable with how he was named as a suspect almost immediately. Even if there was a strong suspicion around him, the press should not be allowed that power

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt at first myself but after a few days it was becoming clear he was up to his eyeballs in it yet some people were still swearing blind he had nothing to do with it.

It wasn't the press that outed him the cops named him as a person of interest who was in for questioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wonder would they be close friends of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt at first myself but after a few days it was becoming clear he was up to his eyeballs in it yet some people were still swearing blind he had nothing to do with it.

It wasn't the press that outed him the cops named him as a person of interest who was in for questioning.

Well once he was charged, I don't know how anyone could have defended him, but up until then, I think its reasonable to think that he might be innocent. That said, there are always people who'll just stick with a side no matter what evidence is right before their eyes

Grand, the police should not be naming suspects either, its irresponsible, even if its allowed in the UK. The press then obviously had a field day with it

Now that he's admitting guilt, then they can knock themselves out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

. That said, there are always people who'll just stick with a side no matter what evidence is right before their eyes

It's quite natural if you are close friends with someone, you'll, if you are a decent character, will want to believe the person you are close to is not capable of such things. Whereas to the outsider it's much easier to see the truth of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,112 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wasnt there a gofundme or something similar set up by his sister to help him out almost immediately after he was arrested?
    Wonder what happened to that and the money donated...

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Could it be that it was a choice of
    1 keeping gob shut, pleading guilty and taking jail time

or
    2 sing like a canary and drop others in the proverbial with the result of a short life expectancy?

Option 1 could also include being looked after financially so that he comes out to a roof over his head and other things.

;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,855 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

retalivity wrote:
    Wasnt there a gofundme or something similar set up by his sister to help him out almost immediately after he was arrested? Wonder what happened to that and the money donated...
    Who cares what happens to the money? It's only fools that would give anything to a fund like that so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,855 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Option 1 could also include being looked after financially so that he comes out to a roof over his head and other things.
    Or could simply be that he was told his family would be taken out if he gave up any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Well once he was charged, I don't know how anyone could have defended him, but up until then, I think its reasonable to think that he might be innocent. That said, there are always people who'll just stick with a side no matter what evidence is right before their eyes

Grand, the police should not be naming suspects either, its irresponsible, even if its allowed in the UK. The press then obviously had a field day with it

Now that he's admitting guilt, then they can knock themselves out

Given that he stopped his truck in an area where immigrants had been seen running in the past and where travel documents had been dumped I had my suspicions........but then lm a real Sherlock Holmes............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I did kind of felt sorry for the driver at first but didn't express it out loud because I did feel if the police had doubts that he was guilty they wouldn't have released his name.

Coupled with the fact that he was charged with murder within days and not even manslaughter they must have had some strong evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭volchitsa

eagle eye wrote: »
    Or could simply be that he was told his family would be taken out if he gave up any info.

That's a risk you take when you work with illegal people traffickers I'd say. I don't think they're very nice people, as a rule. Specially not the sort that lock their human "cargo" into sealed containers.

Advertisement