Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The port customs officiers also must be getting a cut that some many get in unchecked

You can't check every single truck, car and bag leaving or arriving in the country.

Just can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

wonski wrote: »
    You can't check every single truck, car and bag leaving or arriving in the country.

Just can't.

Actually you can. There are enough of them there for it.
    Point is a lot of them just go by looking from the outside st something.
    If it looks dodgy then check but if it doesn’t they don’t. It goes down to good hiding. Basically if they hide it well and don’t look suspicious they won’t waste their time.
    Like most things in life

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Irishman arrested. Never knew human trafficking was such a thriving cottage industry in Ireland!

This one seems different though, the report I heard on the radio spoke of how the driver alerted police when he heard banging coming from the rear of his cab towards the bulk head of the trailer.

Early days I suppose, more to come no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Aegir wrote: »

Thats a proper Nordy/border area tang Scania all its missing is the big V8 stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭celt262

neris wrote: »
    Thats a proper Nordy/border area tang Scania all its missing is the big V8 stickers.

Vroom Vroom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,394 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

she looks dutch spec to me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

she looks dutch spec to me :pac:

That being the only way... apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 85,623 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

wonski wrote: »

Just can't.

I thought checking all was their job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

No border is going to be completely impervious to human trafficking.
    The other side of the coin is probably as important, or more important.
    Swooping on restaurants, nail bars, brothels etc.. and asking people for documentation on residency and taxpaying status.
    They have ICE doing that in the USA. Who is doing it in the EU?
    Who is doing it in Ireland and the UK? I suspect nobody is keen to do it because then they would be left with the problem of deportation, and the endless appeals against deportation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

recedite wrote: »
    No border is going to be completely impervious to human trafficking.
    The other side of the coin is probably as important, or more important.
    Swooping on restaurants, nail bars, brothels etc.. and asking people for documentation on residency and taxpaying status.
    They have ICE doing that in the USA. Who is doing it in the EU?
    Who is doing it in Ireland and the UK? I suspect nobody is keen to do it because then they would be left with the problem of deportation, and the endless appeals against deportation.

They definitely do it in the UK. Usually on the basis of information received not just randomly turning up to a premises.

They definitely do it in the UK. Usually on the basis of information received not just randomly turning up to a premises.
    What agency does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

recedite wrote: »
    What agency does it?

UK Border Agency. Assuming it is still called that.

Looks like it has since evolved into a version of ICE called IE.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Enforcement

Have we anything like this in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Believe it’s about €2K a head for the driver.
    Heard this from a continental lorry driver.
    15 passengers = €30K.
    39 = €78K.

Yes it's €2000 for the driver but it's fine if stowaways are found on your vehicle, it's not a payment to the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

The truck found today is owned by a company in Glanmire, Cork. Their statement says the driver was coming from Calais and heard banging in the contained.

Irishman arrested. Never knew human trafficking was such a thriving cottage industry in Ireland!

How are you so sure this is a trafficking situation?

I, until it is shown to be otherwise, am of the opinion that the people on board in this case were stowaways and not trafficked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

The driver of that lorry said, he thought he had a flat tyre, got out to check, and found these people, he rang the police, that is the report on the news

goat2 wrote: »
    The driver of that lorry said, he thought he had a flat tyre, got out to check, and found these people, he rang the police, that is the report on the news

And the report on RTE 9 o'clock news is that the driver and truck have been released and free to return home with no suspicion of wrongdoing.

• Advertisement

Ah shur, its easy to confuse the two. Flat tyre, bunch of migrants in the back...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

1641 wrote: »
    Drug users and addicts are responsible for the Kinahans and similar violent drug gangs? No demand, no drug supply.
    Is there no-one in your universe who isn't a victim?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is the Irish Road Haulage Association run by shinners??

look at the letters that are highlighted on their logo

fryup wrote: »

look at the letters that are highlighted on their logo

Well spotted :D As many times as I have seen that I never thought of it. I don't know about being run by shinners but my opinion of them might get me in a lot of bother and wouldn't be pc or snowflake friendly :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

go on, speak your mind...no one's going to hurt you on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭1641

biko wrote: »
    Is there no-one in your universe who isn't a victim?

Hold on, Cowboy! I was trying to clarify that it is often isn't as simple as victims and perpetrators. Such as you making people traffickers the victims of illegal migrants. But as if you didn't know that!

1641 wrote: »
    Do traffickers in remote and/or impoverished third world countries lure the desperate and unsuspecting with promises of great riches in western countries (with some convenient testimonials, etc) ?
    Sure, the consumer, the drug user, the migrant, etc. have some role in the respective areas. But they are not primarily responsible, in my opinion.
    biko wrote: »
    I disagree, the migrants are the initiators.
    With no demand, no traffickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

just on the BBC website now

Lorry driver Mo Robinson, accused over deaths of 39 migrants in Essex, admits plotting to assist illegal immigration

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-50545658

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

fryup wrote: »

Well their president certainly isn't:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Advertisement