Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The case of the racist blackcurrant drink

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

tuxy wrote: »
    Depends, was it the Paddy's that told you that?

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Twitter bio says:

"Author, Social Justice Activist, motivational speaker, Intercultural Consultant, researching race relations, racial stratification & the labour market"

... An obvious as*hole.

Say it 5 times fast

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

IMG-20200103-175606-805.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's frightening the number of people telling her to report Twitter comments to the guards. One or two people have called her a cunt. Fair enough if you want to report that to Twitter, but the guards? Get a grip. The vast majority of the comments aren't even anything like that. They're just telling her she wasn't the subject of racism and making a joke of the absurdity of thinking it was.

I'm serious when I say this is genuinely frightening. The day could come when just disagreeing with someone online or making a joke could result in the cops calling around to your door like has happened in Britain.

https://twitter.com/EbunJoseph1/status/1213464247314743296

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This is the kind of stupid that's being spouted and used in arguments?

https://twitter.com/ashleymakombe/status/1212813684327759878

On a serious note, It terrible for the Irish whose parents were African refugees, who were born and raised in Ireland, getting racially abused by both sides for calling out the degenerate behavior.

She might want to remember that is was the "white Irish" that gave her parents refuge in a safe country, looks she is another one born before the referendum in 2004 who doesn't know how good she has it.

She seems to have forgotten that if circumstances were a bit different she would be probably living in a shanty town instead of studying journalism in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

She will 100% appear on Maura & daithi or the ****ing late late within the week, she is john waters she is Terry prone she is narcissist.

Il expect a ban . She is the enemy. never confuse opinion with knowledge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

What an ugly side of humanity this post has mostly exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

She will 100% appear on Maura & daithi or the ****ing late late within the week, she is john waters she is Terry prone she is narcissist.

Il expect a ban . She is the enemy. never confuse opinion with knowledge

Next time she'll be on she'll probably try and bring it up. She'll probably say she was trolled online as well when people didn't back her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Stateofyou wrote: »
    What an ugly side of humanity this post has mostly exposed.

Yes indeed. She doesn’t come across as a nice person at all. Always trying to find something to be offended by. She has her health and a good position in UCD and has made Ireland her home but can only find fault where there seems to be none.
    Sad kind of person imo.

Yes indeed. She doesn’t come across as a nice person at all. Always trying to find something to be offended by. She has her health and a good position in UCD and has made Ireland her home but can only find fault where there seems to be none.
    Sad kind of person imo.

Don't misquote me for your own agenda. Sad. I rest my case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It's frightening the number of people telling her to report Twitter comments to the guards. One or two people have called her a cunt. Fair enough if you want to report that to Twitter, but the guards? Get a grip. The vast majority of the comments aren't even anything like that. They're just telling her she wasn't the subject of racism and making a joke of the absurdity of thinking it was.

I'm serious when I say this is genuinely frightening. The day could come when just disagreeing with someone online or making a joke could result in the cops calling around to your door like has happened in Britain.

That first email I would consider enough to at least get the cops to record it.
    It is disgusting hateful targetted abuse.
    The tweets as far as I can see are nothing.
    Nor the other email.

Don't misquote me for your own agenda. Sad. I rest my case.

Then you need to state your case more clearly to express your agenda. Sad yes.

Then you need to state your case more clearly to express your agenda. Sad yes.

What an ugly side of humanity most of the posts on this thread have exposed. Happy now? You're probably still sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

I wouldn't be surprised if she wrote that to herself. I mean, no racism? No job.

What an ugly side of humanity most of the posts on this thread have exposed. Happy now? You're probably still sad.

No, unlike your friend who found fault where there was none, I’m a happy camper.

No, unlike your friend who found fault where there was none, I’m a happy camper.

And you know for a fact there was no fault. Didn't know I was speaking to the expert.

And you know for a fact there was no fault. Didn't know I was speaking to the expert.

Then you didn’t read the thread entirely.
    She seems to have a habit of looking for things to be offended by. Posters have shared some of the things she complained about. It’s not an isolated incident.
    People like that are indeed sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

She seems like a more extreme version of yer one Dill vyk whatever it was on newstalk. It didn’t end too well for her, if this kind of nonsense is what she is at now then I can’t see it ending too well for her either. Privately UCD won’t really want this kind of publicity. She seems totally unhinged.

What an ugly side of humanity most of the posts on this thread have exposed.

I "picked a fight" earlier in this thread with a very articulate poster solely because I respected him as a poster who can throw sentences together - and he was a good sounding board for what I would want to say :) Thanks Earth by the way.

but - I do not think at all this thread exposes an ugly side of humanity. I think it exposes one of our most wonderful natural sides. But it also exposes how that wonderful part of us tends to go horribly wrong in a modern world.

The thread shows us something we know already. We are a species that _needs_ stories to explain things. But in a bigger world than we evolved in - those stories are naturally dark and paranoid.

The posts on this thread _for me_ show the most wonderful side of humanity. The side of humanity that evolved to get us this far. But it _also_ shows how that side of humanity has been warped and destroyed in this modern world.

Then you didn’t read the thread entirely.
    She seems to have a habit of looking for things to be offended by. Posters have shared some of the things she complained about. It’s not an isolated incident.
    People like that are indeed sad.

People are offended by a lot of stuff, no different than anyone else. Maybe the things she's been offended by are legit. And just because she's allegedly complained about other things, doesn't mean that what happened at the hotel was innocent. It is an isolated incident, it has nothing to do with anything else she has experienced. With the amount of racism and f'd up things I've encountered in my white and privileged life, I'm sure she could double that.

• Advertisement

People are offended by a lot of stuff, no different than anyone else. Maybe the things she's been offended by are legit. And just because she's allegedly complained about other things, doesn't mean that what happened at the hotel was innocent. It is an isolated incident, it has nothing to do with anything else she has experienced. With the amount of racism and f'd up things I've encountered in my white and privileged life, I'm sure she could double that.

Odd that then. I work with loads of people of all creeds, colours and sexualities.
    In my 28 years in the job there has been zero instances regarding anything racial. Yet she finds it everywhere.
    Maybe she’s just unlucky or maybe everyone is out to offend her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I wonder what the chances are that she is unlucky when her whole education and career is reliant on her finding these things.

Which is the wonderful premise behind the movie "unbreakable"

Which is "maybe this person is a super hero!"

or

"maybe there is a statistical continuum of injury and disease - but if so then there _has_ to be someone who literally never gets any of them - and perchance he might think he is a super hero"

its the same premise - albeit in reverse - that derren drown extorted to make one of his shows about horse racing :)

Odd that then. I work with loads of people of all creeds, colours and sexualities.
    In my 28 years in the job there has been zero instances regarding anything racial. Yet she finds it everywhere.

Let me guess.... going out on a limb here... you're white?

And so now you know the personal experiences of each and every one of your work mates. You can't be taken seriously.

If you work with loads of people of "all creeds, colours, and sexualities" then there is going to be a much higher percentage than zero that something racial has happened. Don't see what bringing different sexualities into it has to do with anything racial happening or not. You've only made it clear that you're only on the most surface level, superficial level of acquaintance with anyone of color you know. They've had "racial instances," guaranteed.

Which is the wonderful premise behind the movie "unbreakable"

Which is "maybe this person is a super hero!"

or

"maybe there is a statistical continuum of injury and disease - but if so then there _has_ to be someone who literally never gets any of them - and perchance he might think he is a super hero"

its the same premise - albeit in reverse - that derren drown extorted to make one of his shows about horse racing :)

She’s just very very very unlucky then.

Let me guess.... going out on a limb here... you're white?

And so now you know the personal experiences of each and every one of your work mates. You can't be taken seriously.

If you work with loads of people of "all creeds, colours, and sexualities" then there is going to be a much higher percentage than zero that something racial has happened. Don't see what bringing different sexualities into it has to do with anything racial happening or not. You've only made it clear that you're only on the most surface level, superficial level of acquaintance with anyone of color you know. They've had "racial instances," guaranteed.

There has never been even one single complaint. Lovely bunch of people or maybe they’re not super sensitive.

She’s just very very very unlucky then.

"unlucky" is a value judgment I guess.

The moment you acknowledge a continuum of experience exists - is the moment you acknowledge _someone_ must exist in the middle of it.

After that you just have to realise that the only thing that the fringes have to talk about - is the pool in the middle of the holiday camp :)

There has never been even one single complaint. Lovely bunch of people or maybe they’re not super sensitive.

Jesus, this is actually laughable. Complaints does not equal a "zero instance of anything racial happening." They happen, reported or not. And are you the intimate knower of all workplace complaints then? And your personal workplace experience and stats has absolutely nothing to do with this lady's experience in that hotel.

"unlucky" is a value judgment I guess.

The moment you acknowledge a continuum of experience exists - is the moment you acknowledge _someone_ must exist in the middle of it.

After that you just have to realise that the only thing that the fringes have to talk about - is the pool in the middle of the holiday camp :)

Yes but not everyone’s job depends on being offended either. No offence, no job as someone already stated. I suppose if you have to find fault then you’ll find it.😀

• Advertisement

Jesus, this is actually laughable. Complaints does not equal a "zero instance of anything racial happening." They happen, reported or not. And are you the intimate knower of all workplace complaints then? And your personal workplace experience and stats has absolutely nothing to do with this lady's experience in that hotel.

And many people wouldn't feel comfortable reporting. Because people like you would call them super sensitive. Because not everyone is comfortable making reports. Because people are afraid of retaliation. Because people are afraid of being vilified. Just look at this thread.

Advertisement