Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The case of the racist blackcurrant drink

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

MMXX wrote: »
    No, he definitely didn't do that. I think he's pointing out the the Irish, unlike much of Europe - have NOT raped the continent of Africa.

And as such, we don't deserve a single ounce of hatred - spewen our way.

First of all, Dublin's finest buildings, its museums, certain institutions, were all built with the proceeds of Ireland's economic integration in the British Empire. It is not a coincidence that Ireland returned to political stability so soon after the Civil War. We might resent that we were forced into it, but we have benefited from it. It's a well known fact that Irish people were disproportionately involved in colonial police forces. There are sympathetic explanations for that, but you cannot claim Ireland was utterly uninvolved.

But he went further: he explicitly said that the experience of Irish people was equal to or worse than that of Africans. That is loathsome nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

First of all, Dublin's finest buildings, its museums, certain institutions, were all built with the proceeds of Ireland's economic integration in the British Empire. It is not a coincidence that Ireland returned to political stability so soon after the Civil War. We might resent that we were forced into it, but we have benefited from it. It's a well known fact that Irish people were disproportionately involved in colonial police forces. There are sympathetic explanations for that, but you cannot claim Ireland was utterly uninvolved.

But he went further: he explicitly said that the experience of Irish people was equal to or worse than that of Africans. That is loathsome nonsense.

This post is nonsense. The Irish do not hold any collective guilt for the treatment of Africans historically. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

I will agree, they are fine, fine buildings - but they were not built for OUR benefit, they were built for the benefit of the empire. And maybe he is just sparing a thought for 1 million of our ancestors, who were starved to death, by the inaction of the very wealthy British empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

This post is nonsense. The Irish do not hold any collective guilt for the treatment of Africans historically. End of.

Nobody should have guilt for anything their ancestors did. Likewise you shouldn't inherit victimhood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

End of?! What type of person wouldn't be embarrassed to write that?
    MMXX wrote: »
    I will agree, they are fine, fine buildings - but they were not built for OUR benefit, they were built for the benefit of the empire. And maybe he is just sparing a thought for 1 million of our ancestors, who were starved to death, by the inaction of the very wealthy British empire.

That's irrelevant. We have benefited from them for a century.

I won't get into a debate about the Famine - the popular narrative is simplistic and reinforced by prejudice - but, as bad as it was, it doesn't compare to the plundering of a contentment and the enslavement of millions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

So what happened in Ireland was an
    economic integration in the British Empire
    but what happened to other countries was plundering and enslavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I won't get into a debate about the Famine - the popular narrative is simplistic and reinforced by prejudice - but, as bad as it was, it doesn't compare to the plundering of a contentment and the enslavement of millions.

The proportional damage done to Ireland when compared to that done to Africa in the imperialist era are in fact far worse than the admittedly awful treatment of people in Africa.

We're a small nation who suffered the death by starvation of over a million people (not counting those who died whilst trying to leave the island at that time, which I believe almost doubles that number) due to political inaction (the famine wasn't a genocide, in some ways the disinterest the British showed towards the situation in Ireland could be perceived as being worse than purposefully setting out to exterminate the Irish through starvation).
    Had this type of thing happened on the same scale on the continent of Africa there would have been a death rate of unprecedented proportions.

The point of all this is that to suggest that Ireland is a racist country populated by ex slave owners when in fact we have a history every bit as harrowing if not more so than that of Africa, is just not accurate.

The Irish are whipping boys of history every bit as much as the Africans, and it saddens me and I'm sure most people here to see ignorant people such as yourself and Dr Joseph attempting to stir up racial divides in a country where they have never existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

FTA69 wrote: »
    There is nowhere in Woolwich or Hackney that are “no go areas”; there are parts of these areas that have issues with crime. That’s it, that doesn’t constitute a “no go area”. If being in an area that has a dodgy reputation constitutes a “no go area” then you may as well apply that term to Dublin or Limerick or Cork. It’s hyperbolic and it’s silly. Dalston a “no go area”, the gaff is one of the most gentrified parts of East London and is full of a million and one hipster outlets. You’re talking breeze I’m afraid.

Would feel far safer in Brixton then Dublin. Theres always a police presence in Brixton and surrounding areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

It's not irrelevant in the context of this discussion. And neither is the Famine. The popular narrative is simple - and for good reason: it is simple.

Ireland was a part of the British Empire, the wealthiest, most powerful empire in the world - not a single soul had to die, make no mistake - they were let die. I know it mightn't suit you to acknowledge this - but I think for context, it is important - and indeed relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Don't forget that Africans sold other Africans as slaves to the British. There are also an estimated 200,000 slaves in Africa today. I don't think they teach that in Black History month though. It doesn't fit into the narrative that blacks are downtrodden oppressed victims and whites are evil, racist oppressors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Don't forget that Africans sold other Africans as slaves to the British. There are also an estimated 200,000 slaves in Africa today. I don't think they teach that in Black History month though. It doesn't fit into the narrative that blacks are downtrodden oppressed victims and whites are evil, racist oppressors.

Also in the US more black on black crime and murder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Also in the US more black on black crime and murder too.

Do you have a theory on why this may be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

The white man keeping them down or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

More black people live in poverty and that leads to crime. Plus wrongful convictions. Plus crabs in a bucket syndrome. It's very hard to pull yourself out of a disadvantaged crime ridden environment, when everyone around you resents you for getting ideas above your station.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The point being there was nothing weird or remarkable about it until you focus in on it for no justifiable reason and ascribe weirdness to it yourself.

So, under the criteria you have outlined can you give me an example of something which could legitimately be described as weird?
    It is not just that words like "weird" and "bizarre" are badly chosen - it is the "something else must be going on here then" effect those words then tend to lead on to.

The "something else must be going on here" came before the word was used. You are confusing cause and effect.
    But only because - and this is the important bit you are leaving out - it became relevant to this conversation and I went actively seeking in my memory set for equivalent events and anecdotes to draw on. And even then it did not jump instantly to mind - but on the third or fourth pass through of my memory. Unless this criteria of relevance came into play it is unlikely I would have ever given that event another thought.

Which is entirely my point so I am glad you are facilitating it so well here. My suspicion without knowing the person the OP is about - which I literally do not though others seem to - is that the person already has an agenda through which they parsed the event in a way that no one else would have - and anyone else in the same situation would have been as unlikely to mention or remember the event as I was with the potatoes.

If you're point is that memory is sparked by events that wasn't clear from your earlier posts. If you're point is that people filter their interpretation of experiences based on previous experiences they have had that also wasn't clear from your earlier posts.

But either way I disagree with your conclusion; most people would remember (i.e. literally have in their memory) being served a drink in the incorrect glass. This incongruity, which I've pointed out several times, is an important bit you are leaving out (and is different from your potatoes analogy due to this).
    I do not - like you - think that many people think they know what happened here.

Look back over some of the posts and you'll see they do.
    I think that without further evidence people are simply assuming a simple default occams razor style conclusion until given good reason(s) to do otherwise.

Some are, for sure.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    So, under the criteria you have outlined can you give me an example of something which could legitimately be described as weird?

Slime Mold :) Give the entire world of flora and fauna - Slime Mold is genuinely weird in many ways.

There should not be too many things that deserve the term. That is kinda inherent in what the word means. It is one of those words that the more we use it - the less it actually means. In fact one dictionary definition of it is "suggesting something supernatural; unearthly.". Bizarre is defined as "very strange or unusual" neither of which a mistake in a drinks order strikes me as being. For something to be weird or bizarre to me it would have to be that - or be something that defies explanation maybe.

But sure it is subjective. What is "weird" to one person might be entirely normal to another. There was a guy on Joe Rogan recently living in extreme environments off grid - by our standards his situation is pretty weird. He probably finds it entirely normal.

But as I said it not _really_ the use of the word that is the problem. But why - and what people do off the back of it.
    The "something else must be going on here" came before the word was used. You are confusing cause and effect.

I think it is more parallel cause and effect there. Each is leading to and justifying the other. Unless more evidence comes in this event sounds like a case of "nothing to see here" and it is pretty much _only_ by pretending it is weird and bizarre that the attempts to ascribe further narratives to it - or demand more complex explanations for it - are to be justified.
    If you're point is that memory is sparked by events that wasn't clear from your earlier posts.

No my point is the reason that you do not hear about such events more is possibly connected with the fact most people do not think to mention such mundane things - and often entirely forget about them unless given genuine reason to recall them. Such as - with me - the anecdote becoming relevant in a given context. Had this event never happened I likely would never have recalled it let alone discussed it as an event. Errors in drinks orders are so common in the world - there is little cause to be bothered mentioning them.

You are ascribing weirdness based on not hearing about these kinds of events often. And I am suggesting that perhaps the expectation that you _should_ hear about them - is not a well founded expectation in the first place. I am suggesting that unlike your expection that if it is common you should hear about it more - that it is in fact the case that the _more_ common something is - the less likely someone is to mention it. I saw a bird today - I never mentioned it to anyone because it is not weird. I only mention it now _because_ it is not weird. And in fact I can not recall the last time anyone I know mentioned seeing a bird. Nothing in me suggests I should be thinking "Well if this is happening all the time - I should be hearing about it!". The exact opposite in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

All these identity politic’s pundits do is stir up hatred and division between people. They turn neighbour against neighbour, and isolate people into ever smaller identity groups. Their entire career depends on people hating each other and blaming another group for their misfortunes.

The Nazis did something very similar, as did the Bolshiviks. The western world needs to start copping onto itself before we end up losing all of the freedoms we take for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Slime Mold :) Give the entire world of flora and fauna - Slime Mold is genuinely weird in many ways.

Okay, let me be more specific. What human experiences can legitimately be described as weird?
    In fact one dictionary definition of it is "suggesting something supernatural; unearthly.". Bizarre is defined as "very strange or unusual" neither of which a mistake in a drinks order strikes me as being.

Like I said earlier, I'm not interested in pedantic, dictionary definition, debates. If you were you might have said so and saved me time! :)
    I think it is more parallel cause and effect there. Each is leading to and justifying the other.

Not really, because before I used the word, people were already questioning the hotel's explanation.
    Errors in drinks orders are so common in the world - there is little cause to be bothered mentioning them.

You're going over old ground here as though I haven't already addressed this; it's the type of error and rarity of it that makes it worth mentioning.
    You are ascribing weirdness based on not hearing about these kinds of events often. And I am suggesting that perhaps the expectation that you _should_ hear about them - is not a well founded expectation in the first place. I am suggesting that unlike your expection that if it is common you should hear about it more - that it is in fact the case that the _more_ common something is - the less likely someone is to mention it.

No. I'm ascribing weirdness both on the rarity of the error concerned and incongruity it would create. My point is that if its common (which the mistake being easy to make implies) then more of us would have experienced it or would have heard of others experiencing it. As I've already stated, people share common mundane things with each other all the time.
    I saw a bird today - I never mentioned it to anyone because it is not weird. I only mention it now _because_ it is not weird. And in fact I can not recall the last time anyone I know mentioned seeing a bird.

You're right, that's not weird.
    Nothing in me suggests I should be thinking "Well if this is happening all the time - I should be hearing about it!". The exact opposite in fact.

You're right, because it's not weird. So you're basically just going back to disagreeing with me about that categorisation of the event. But it's even worse than that! My dad would often mention to me when he saw the crane in the river on his morning walks. Another time, a bird flew into my apartment and you bet I mentioned that to everyone I met for a short while afterwards. So even seeing a bird can be remarkable given the correct context.

It is like you have this theory about what experiences people consider noteworthy, and therefore would mention to each other, that doesn't map to how people talk to each other in real life.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    The Irish were definitely treated badly but I doubt they were ever treated WORSE than black folk.

Well, here's the thing. The further you go back, the more that physical difference mattered. So, a black person living in London in Queen Victoria's time would have received large amounts of racism, but also degrees of racial privilege/advantages in being different.

In any predominately white population, those of another color would have been treated badly. The history of the US is layered with incidents of mistreatment of Blacks, Chinese, Asians in general, etc. Not to pick out the US as being unique though since any country during the same time period or before would have mistreated anyone who was of a perceived inferior race or culture. Why?

Because nationalism and race mattered so much more then. The "Whites" (always find it interesting the Spanish are included as the whites) were all off exploring, conquering, and colonising native populations far from home, so their racial superiority mattered to them. But then, you'll find the same if you dig into African history, with tribalism committing genocide on horrendous scale, based on a perceived superiority.

As for the Irish... there's a bit of a victim complex going on there. Yes, the Irish were mistreated by others, but they were also mistreated by other Irish. There were wealthy Irish in the US who took advantage of the migrants, just as there were landowning Irish going back to English rule, just as there were Irish people serving in the British military throughout the Empire. We tend to only look at one side of the coin when considering how the Irish were received.

This "Race expert" refuses any acceptance of history and her own place in it. It's a case of double standards, and a lack of appreciation for how human culture/society evolves. She doesn't care that her own people slaughtered other tribes, or that black freed slaves engaged in slavery, and barbarism in Liberia. These kind of details are inconvenient and without any relevance to her cause... You see similar behavior in the US with "Black lives matter" who are incapable of admitting any responsibility and passing everything over to the evil white man.
    Black folk are not treated badly here though overall/as a matter of policy. There are racist incidents - the poor girl Mia in Tipperary - but I still think Ireland is welcoming in general.

It's an extremely welcoming country. I've been a minority white person in various countries, and while there are perceived benefits to being white, you're also on the receiving end of massive amounts of racism too. Ireland has no clear history of racism (yet), and no generation alive today has been indoctrinated with such a hatred. This woman, and others like her, might change that though. If there's not a problem, create it.

Me. And quite a few other people out there who don't have any time or patience with this nonsense. Collective guilt is simply retarded, as is passing guilt on to someone for something that happened before they were born.

To be honest, I'd say anyone who promotes such collective guilt is showing signs of being a genuine racist.

Sure we have. So too did everyone under colonial rule. Or the Romans. Or the Chinese. In the broad scheme of things. It doesn't matter than many people were killed, tortured, and starved to death... in the broad scheme of things, all former conquered peoples tended to benefit from the advancements left behind when their oppressors are killed off or kicked out.

It doesn't. But then neither does placing the whole continent of Africa under the whims of the colonial empires either, or ignoring their own history of slavery, genocide, and resettlement. Where do you think the Egyptians got their slaves from? Yup. In Africa, sold to them by other Africans.

The truth is that civilisations conquer, and enslave others to various degrees. You can see it across human history around the whole world. The Aztecs, the Incas, The Romans, The Chinese, The Mongols, etc etc etc.

If they had gained technological advancement, and explored further before the Europeans, they would have done so. And they would have dominated the Continent themselves in a similar, if not worse, manner than the Europeans. African cultures in terms of tribalism, and superstition, back then was far more similar to the Mongols than to the Europeans. And the Mongols once in a position of power exterminated whole races and demolished civilisations. But no, the British and other European nations were worse. No. They were just the last to do it.

This crusade to feel and demand guilt from others about colonialism or the behavior of European nations is idiotic. It ignores the behavior of other peoples and how they treated those different from them. Many cultures go through periods where they're more barbaric, warlike, superior, moralistic, etc. Placing the responsibility on white people is ignoring history and reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Definitely do not, use the Scientific Latin name, for them.

Or, perish the thought, Spanish!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Or, perish the thought, Spanish!!!

Ribes nigrum or grosella negra?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

This is the kind of stupid that's being spouted and used in arguments?

https://twitter.com/ashleymakombe/status/1212813684327759878

On a serious note, It terrible for the Irish whose parents were African refugees, who were born and raised in Ireland, getting racially abused by both sides for calling out the degenerate behavior.

Okay, let me be more specific. What human experiences can legitimately be described as weird?

Very few I think - we just often like to think our experiences are weird or unique. But very little in average human experience appears to actually be much of either any more. Which is hardly surprising given just how many of us there are - and have ever been. There is _billions_ of us. All having many 1000s of experiences. Given a sample set that large - my expectation of finding the weird or unusual is quite low.

If a gun were put to my head and I had to think of an example or die though? I suppose having a genuinely world transforming scientific insight is relatively weird in human experience. Weird enough that we tend to remember long into posterity the few individuals who have had or facilitated them.

But the human brain did not evolve that way. It has a way of pulling single events out of a set of events - and being convinced it is more special or unique or weird or significant than it actually is. And our penchant for narrative leaves us then yearning even demanding the explanation for it scale in significance too.

By such are conspiracy theories born - or ideas about being psychic - or on threads like this intricate tales of contrived malice.
    Not really, because before I used the word, people were already questioning the hotel's explanation.

That is what I meant though. That narrative - and the language used to justify it such as pretending something pretty mundane is bizarre or unusual - is kind of co-occuring on the thread.
    it's the type of error and rarity of it that makes it worth mentioning.

But it is not an interesting type or rare. That is my problem. Errors in drinks orders happen all the time in our world. Of course they do. How many 1000s of drinks are order per day in our entire world - often in busy high pressue environments - by flawed human beings to other flawed human beings?

You are declaring it to be weird or rare or unique and I am just not seeing why other than anecdote - not even anecdote - negative anecdote which I did not even realise was a thing until now :)
    As I've already stated, people share common mundane things with each other all the time.

And as I already stated - while this is true and I agree with it - there also appears to be a threshold of mundane above which people tend to share mundane things. It is not that I think you are wrong therefore - just incomplete. I am not saying people do not share mundane things - I am saying they do not seem to share extremely mundane things. They have enough already mundane things to be going on about :)

So if people in your experience are not mentioning something that mundane this is not a testiment to such events being rare or weird. It is a testimant that perhaps you - the common denominator in your anecdotes (or in this lack of them) - attract people into your circles that are at least slightly interesting people who have enough relatively less mundane things to be going on about :) If I did not have better things to think and talk about in my life - I probably would have bored all and sundry with my potato anecdote too :)
    So even seeing a bird can be remarkable given the correct context.

My point exactly! You are making my point for me now. The context is unique not the event in your example. A bird in your house - unique. An error in a drinks order - in a busy bar room environment - not so much. Neither the event _or_ the context is interesting there. So you are not comparing like with like.

Now if a bird got your drinks order wrong :) or if you were giving the drinks order in your own house - that would be more worth the mention because at least the context renders it interesting :)

But if the event _and_ the context are both common and mundane - I am genuinely struggling to see your point here.

All these identity politic’s pundits do is stir up hatred and division between people. They turn neighbour against neighbour, and isolate people into ever smaller identity groups. Their entire career depends on people hating each other and blaming another group for their misfortunes.

The Nazis did something very similar, as did the Bolshiviks. The western world needs to start copping onto itself before we end up losing all of the freedoms we take for granted.

Damn straight and they're making plenty of money at it too. Sickening.

Indigent specimens the majority of them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Lucky it was'nt a 'Black and Tan' [Half Guinness and half Ale] before any of you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Twitter bio says:

"Author, Social Justice Activist, motivational speaker, Intercultural Consultant, researching race relations, racial stratification & the labour market"

... An obvious as*hole.

Twitter bio says:

"Author, Social Justice Activist, motivational speaker, Intercultural Consultant, researching race relations, racial stratification & the labour market"

... An obvious as*hole.

Many twitter bio's read like that but this time it's state spinsored by a public university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Everybody tells me I am an English bollox. I just took that as a fair description. Does that mean they were being racist?

• Advertisement

Everybody tells me I am an English bollox. I just took that as a fair description. Does that mean they were being racist?

Depends, was it the Paddy's that told you that?

Advertisement