Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The case of the racist blackcurrant drink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Privileged westener :rolleyes:

Sounds just as dumb as white privelege or male privelege.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Veiled racism is becoming transparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I keep seeing this white privilege everywhere. My life is anything but privileged. Where do I claim my privileges? Do I have to go to the Post Office with my public services card? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mulberrytree

Nice post. Really gives me an insight into the thought process. Regrettable though that you had to preface it with criticism of Ebun Joseph, almost as your credentials to comment in this poisonous thread! ]

Ebun does herself a disservice by constantly making everything about race. It's also a disservice to people of colour because you have to be able to distinguish between incidents where people simply are nasty, rude, ill-mannered individuals and people who just don't like black folk. Also, as said before on this site, there's over a billion people with black heritage. It's not helping anyone to lump as all together. Also, racial incidents happen across the skin colour spectrum. It's not always black and white (pun most intended)

[ The problem as I see it is that "these incidents" are mostly not incidents. I'll completely grant you that not infrequently they are real. But inferring potential-racism any time someone elects not to sit beside you on the bus or assumes you like rap is a recipe for paranoia.]

You lose the argument here by inferring that actual incidents, that to you, not being a person of colour, can dismiss as nastiness, are not racially charged. Unless you've lived it, you cannot deny someone else's experiences. Repeated things happening that don't seem to ever happen to white friends and family? Who are you to say, otherwise. Yes, horrible people exist. Some of these horrible people are also people who don't like anyone non white or have anger/ suspicions/ etc about us. This is the filter I was talking about - sometimes it's both a closet racist and an unpleasant individual all in one.

[I'm quite fastidiously polite. I go out of my way to make sure I'm not obstructing people in the street and give them space when walking past. And I expect the same in return but I don't get it. Every day I have multiple people brush past me or force me to have to walk around them. It's a real hassle that causes me daily stress and if I were black I could quite easily reduce those minor insults to my black identity. I've also noticed people seem often not to sit beside me on the Dart. I don't know why that is! But in the absence of an identity to reduce it to, I'm just thankful that I have more space.

I know that your point is that individually they're irrelevant but collectively they point to something real. But I feel I could also create a collection of micro insults that I experience to corroborate some persistent attack against my identity. It seems to me that these incidents are magnified because of the insecurity felt by someone in a minority. And that's absolutely understandable and something with which I greatly sympathise. But I don't think it's productive to hover your finger over the racism button every time something like that happens. ]

No it isn't- but it's also dangerous to not be aware of race. Certainly if you're the minority. It can colour everything from a job interview to paying for milk in a shop. Easy to be dismissive when it doesn't impact you, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mulberrytree

I've been living in China for over a decade. All of the things you mentioned, I receive on one level or another on a daily basis. The spitting after you walk by, the stares, the empty space around you on the bus, etc etc etc.

Fact is, though, is that I wanted to live in China. I knew that I would be an extreme minority in the city I live. 9 Million people, with roughly 5k foreigners, and the majority of those foreigners being African, or Middle Eastern. White people are a definite minority compared to other races here, and it shows every time you associate with other foreigners.

Point is though, that I wanted to live here. I accept the attitudes of the people who are uncomfortable with a foreigner because historically there wasn't much contact with other foreigners (sound familiar?), or that China is a nation which consists mostly with Chinese people (another familiarity).

You can choose to find offense in the behavior of others, or you can ignore it. For the most part, I don't even notice the common behavior anymore. It's the aggressive attitudes of spitting on my shoes, the genuinely racist comments you receive, or the violence that occurs. However, these incidents are generally extremely rare. Just as they would be in Ireland for a person of color. I've lived in three Asian countries, and traveled to Africa... this sh1t happens.

It all only becomes wearing if you have no concept of the place you're in, and totally intolerant of others.

Racism is an individual thing until some people promote it as an institutionalized or national thing. Ireland, and Irish people can be understandably uncomfortable with other races. I met my first black person when I was 14..... Even now, with extensive exposure to genuinely Black cultures, and people, I'm still uncomfortable with them. That is racism but honestly, I don't take any issue with it.

Why? Because not every fcuking thing is offensive.

I am racist though. Everyone is to one degree or another. The point is whether you take your racism and express it to other people. Do your racist tendencies encourage acts of discrimination, on your part or on the part of others...? If not, then big deal.

I don't like US black culture. Don't like it, and can't be bothered interacting with it. Generally, I find Black Americans offensive, aggressive, and rather racist towards white people. I find it contemptible that Black people often call each other the N word, but scream racism whenever someone else does. Saying and thinking all of that is racist.

I've noticed that the people who go on about racism, tend to be rather racist themselves. The fact is that none of us are perfect, and people who harp on about racism are often expecting other people to become perfect (without needing to do so themselves).

Acting on racism with intent is awful and should be stepped on. By anyone.

However, we should be encouraging a society that has some patience for people who are uncomfortable with those of other races, and need time to adjust. Not everyone has personal experience with them, and an automatic acceptance is unrealistic.

Personally, I find Black people to be the most racist. There's a victim card that's thrown around quite often. Dunno if it's due to American Black rights orgs, but many black people behave racist with the belief that reverse racism is perfectly acceptable. It's not.

Asians, I find to be racist, almost by accident. It's rarely intentional and most of them are genuinely sorry once they actually consider what they've been doing.

MY feeling is that active and determined racism is rare. It's not common in society anymore (if it ever actually was, like Ireland, which had a more national discrimination), and people like Dr. Joseph are intent on bringing it back because it makes them feel special. Minorities and those who are discriminated against, are big money. It's naive to think otherwise.

But "quiet" racism is everywhere and should be tolerated to an extent. I've noticed racist comments from just about everyone I encounter. Big deal. They're not acting out on their racism with the intent to cause pain and actual harm.

My problem with Dr. Joseph and their ilk, is that they want to create a less tolerant society... a less patient society... a society that monitors and controls what people say or think... One that ignores the realities and complexities of human thought. So, no, bugger that.

I'm not black American and there are very few here in Ireland so what's the link between a community on another continent and black people here?

I live here, I work here, does being a minority mean I should accept rudeness, racial hostility, abuse? Please explain why I should excuse my blackness to give racists a pass. Why I owe it to them to be accommodating and accepting of bullying?

You can't fully accept black people by your own confession. That's YOUR problem.

Anyone who thinks like you, no matter their background, black, white, whatever needs to deal with it.

It's not up to the person whose difference you find uncomfortable to make room for nastiness.

• Advertisement

No it isn't- but it's also dangerous to not be aware of race. Certainly if you're the minority. It can colour everything from a job interview to paying for milk in a shop. Easy to be dismissive when it doesn't impact you, right?
    20 years ago a friend of mine told me her flatmate wouldn't use the milk in the fridge because it had been bought in a shop owned by black people. WTF is wrong with some people?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'd love to interview Ebun's acquaintances from back in Nigeria to get their reaction.

"Yeah I remember that fruitcake, what's she up to now?....

...You mean to tell me you put her on national television? Like, to give her opinion on things???"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Yurt! wrote: »
    I'd love to interview Ebun's acquaintances from back in Nigeria to get their reaction.

"Yeah I remember that fruitcake, what's she up to now?....

...You mean to tell me you put her on national television? Like, to give her opinion on things???"

Careful with your wording. 'fruitcake' has an 'a' 'c' and 'k' in it. Add a 'b' and an 'l' and you've got BLACK :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Careful with your wording. 'fruitcake' has an 'a' 'c' and 'k' in it. Add a 'b' and an 'l' and you've got BLACK :eek:

Fruitcake is a euphemism for brack!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JuanBerrosa

Have you seen the debate she had with Niall Boylan ?
    he put her in her place ... race baiting idiot of a woman - ironically in her twitter bio she has #SkillsNotRace - 100% agree with her there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Fruitcake is a euphemism for brack!

I used to love cream cakes. But once you go brack, you never go back.

Have no love for Niall Boylan but shes out of control, totally unhinged.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/QHBJ6s7LFZoT/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 As I was saying...

You lose the argument here by inferring that actual incidents, that to you, not being a person of colour, can dismiss as nastiness, are not racially charged. Unless you've lived it, you cannot deny someone else's experiences. Repeated things happening that don't seem to ever happen to white friends and family? Who are you to say, otherwise. Yes, horrible people exist. Some of these horrible people are also people who don't like anyone non white or have anger/ suspicions/ etc about us. This is the filter I was talking about - sometimes it's both a closet racist and an unpleasant individual all in one.

Easy to be dismissive when it doesn't impact you, right?

It's a warning sign when someone tells me there is a sphere of knowledge closed off to me because of my fundamental nature. It may be true that I am failing to properly assess these incidents because my experience is different from yours, but it should never be the case that I am told I am fundamentally debarred from contesting a claim. The concept of lived-experience is a useful one but it also risks giving carte blanche to individuals to come to irrational conclusions about how they have been treated.

I didn't agree the incidents as nasty. The ones you describe are innocuous in isolation. As you say, individually, no prejudice can be inferred from them. Collectively, though, they may imply some sort of systemic prejudice. But that doesn't mean each and every questionable incident can then be retrospectively confirmed as prejudiced. And there remains the possibility that any such collective inference is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Militant Black Guy from Balls of Steel is such a funny, brilliant character.

Just thinking about him makes me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Interesting.

He let her speak, then when it was his turn to speak she interrupts him and then starts giving out that he's interrupting her...

Edit: She then goes on to interrupt the other lady on the show and then gives out to Niall again when he interrupts her. Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Naos wrote: »
    Interesting.

He let her speak, then when it was his turn to speak she interrupts him and then starts giving out that he's interrupting her...

Edit: She then goes on to interrupt the other lady not the show.
    That behaviour is good indication of a narcissist, which is a perfect description of her personality.

She can gladly pay us back all the money that was provided to her and her family throughout the years ..... from the asylum process and corresponding support services, children's allowances, healthcare provisioning, educational financial support, housing, and any other state-sponsored support that she received since she came to our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What is this, why has she been invited on to TV and radio so many times?

tuxy wrote: »
    What is this, why has she been invited on to TV and radio so many times?

In all honesty? Because is she is an ignorant racist loudmouth bully who claims to be a victim of what she purports to be the biggest issue in Irish society, this and we are the biggest pushover cowardly nation imaginable in taking on people like her and issues with immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭PonchoMcHoncho

Just watching this now. She really is an idiot.

When asked if Irish attitudes towards immigration is becoming more positive she said "Oh god no" and her example to support that was that she herself didn't want her son to walk around one evening with his friend after 8 because the sight of two black lads might trigger an Irish person to go crazy. And she found that upsetting.

Then she starts interrupting people accusing them of inciting hatred for discussing issues with immigration. She's like some random facebook hun that somehow got onto TV. She has no interest in discussing anything or listening to anyone. She just wants to shout accusations and give out and repeat herself until she's heard regardless of how little she actually has to say.

Just watching this now. She really is an idiot.

Do you think she was always an idiot and UCD decided to offer her a PhD and job?

Or do you think she started acting like that because she noticed it did wonders for her professional career?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

It's gas how people like that open borders Irish one on the panel say "we must have a debate" and then immediately shut down any alternate view with shouts of "rasist". There will never be a proper debate on direct provision, immigration, economic migration or what type of country do we as citizens want for our kids and grandkids say 30 years down the road never in a month of Sundays because the msm is far too uniform in their thinking so uneducated are they about what it's like to live in the real Ireland of today and inhabiting as they do that ultra Liberal echo chamber which in reality is anything but liberal

Do you think she was always an idiot and UCD decided to offer her a PhD and job?

Or do you think she started acting like that because she noticed it did wonders for her professional career?

I think she was always an idiot and always will be. Her intelligence, another matter i don’t know about but her conduct and how she articulates herself leads me to believe she isn’t too bright either...a doctorate on some pie in the sky bollocks is not by any means any measure of how intelligent she is.

Yeah, I'm just thinking which came first, her ignorant attitude and then she became successful or did she get more ignorant as she became successful because that is what works well for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just watched that. Shocked by it. She was allowed get away with her rubbish.
    I could see exactly how she operates. Shout “racist” loud enough and people will be afraid to confront our. Boylan was gutsy and called her out on it.
    Matt Cooper is just a lick too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭PonchoMcHoncho

I read a paper she wrote on "Whiteness of the Irish labor market" she's got an agenda and not much else. She grabs stats from anywhere and uses them to show discrimination without any real evidence. An example she used was, that a few years ago out of the 10k odd members of the Gardai none were African. Then said something like "This level of whiteness in Irish jobs is not limited to the Gardai".

No mention of the numbers of Africans in Ireland that met the relevant education, language, age and residency requirements for certain jobs like the Gardai. No mention of how many actually applied to the Gardai. No consideration for the low numbers of people of African decent in Ireland until recent years before immigration increased or any other factors that may have affected employment rates.

She simply used surveys whereby a certain percentage of immigrants had said they believed they didn't get jobs because of discrimination then started looking for areas with low numbers of immigrants or people of African decent and claimed it was because of racism caused by "a white hierarchy in the Irish labor market".

I'd say you'd find Boards.ie posts with more relevant information than anything she's written as a "Dr".

I'm not black American and there are very few here in Ireland so what's the link between a community on another continent and black people here?

The general association of racism is with regards to black Americans. You see it often here on boards with references to the US...
    I live here, I work here, does being a minority mean I should accept rudeness, racial hostility, abuse? Please explain why I should excuse my blackness to give racists a pass. Why I owe it to them to be accommodating and accepting of bullying?

[Just a side note. I did give my own example living as an extreme minority, but you skipped over that. I've also lived in various other Asian and African countries other than China)

I feel that you should give a degree of understanding for people who have grown up in a country with a majority white population, and should take the time to consider their feelings rather than playing the victim card immediately. You have chosen to live here. You could live in a country with a majority black population, and so it makes sense, to take into account the difference in culture and composition of the population. I lived in Zimbabwe for 6 months. I didn't expect them to accept me as a black person... or even to be accepting of me as a person in myself. I knew the history of the country and took that into account when understanding the reactions of people around me. I could have shouted racism a million times... instead I got on with living there, and doing what I intended to do. [and I've lived over a decade in mainland China... nor in a tier 1 city. not a "holiday" by any consideration]

Instead, their behavior is all perceived racism (whether it's intentional or not) towards you, and you're only concerned with your feelings irrespective of the history of the country you're living in. (based on your post)
    You can't fully accept black people by your own confession. That's YOUR problem.

Nope. I can't fully accept Black American culture. I have no problem with individuals... not do have any issue with African cultures since they rarely throw around the racist card.. But perhaps consider what I wrote rather than seeking something to be offended over...
    Anyone who thinks like you, no matter their background, black, white, whatever needs to deal with it.

No. they actually don't. They just don't need to project their feelings on to other people with the intent of causing pain, discomfort or harm to others. Ireland is still a predominately white population. Until the population changes considerably, they really don't need to change. Just as black people in many African countries don't need to become more accepting of "whites". Although I do suspect that's another one of those pesky double standards that should simply be accepted. (and yes, I've traveled extensively through northern and eastern Africa.)
    It's not up to the person whose difference you find uncomfortable to make room for nastiness.

Ahh yes, that's awfully convenient. You decide to live in an area well known for KKK sympathies as a black person, and it's entirely their fault that they're that way. No responsibility for your choices at all. Nope. I don't buy into that BS.

Bugger that. And that's why I despise those who harp on about racism. You have zero consideration for other peoples feelings or beliefs. Instead, if it's against your belief, then they're evil and wrong. TBH, I find your attitude just as racist as any KKK supporter.

Not a particular fan of his but I found it rude that they got his name wrong and called him Neil. Ebun in real life is way worse than she comes across on twitter. I only watched it once but did I get it wrong and she said that "immigration shouldn't be tied to politics". That makes no sense at all.

Even less sense than her point that the EU has free travel and the EU doesn't want people who look like her. Africa is not part of the EU so of course people from Africa don't have free travel withing the EU.

UCD have a lot to answer for. They created her and they are responsible for her. I bet they thought when they created her position they were being incredibly "woke" and this is the result. A Maverick who is abusing her position to race bait and cause dissent and does nothing to encourage integration but they can't fire/sanction her, otherwise she will sue them.

I know Ireland is not perfect and there are some genuine racists out there but her whole existence seems to be to look for offence. UCD would better serve themselves and this country if they found a race relations officer who was more focused on integration than racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

This one is very dangerous, that interview is a car crash at best and looks very bad. She is just an african version of John Connors really, be a bully and shout people down. Anyway that interview smokes her nonsense out.

After watching that, if I was serving her in a restaurant I would definitely mess with her order.
    Not because she is black but because of what an awful person she is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

The bloody check of this gob****e.

It should be bloody difficult to get citizenship of any country it's not a ****ing new suit you wear when the other one doesn't suit the weather.

What you do with your rights as a citizen of a country is one thing but handing it out like ****in candy at the airport to any **** that rocks up fcuk off fcuk off...

She is fcuking horrible , a perfect moll for the spineless fcukrrs in positions of influence in this country . How the fcuk is she a doctor and of what.... what course was that she did

Advertisement