Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest type of flu??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

All sounds like common influenza.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Fed up with people saying they have thee flu, then the next day you see them in Tesco with nothing more than a sniffle :(

The flu will totally floor you, and you will be bedridden for several days, maybe even a week, but you certainly won't be tapping away posting stuff online (if you really do have the flu), because you won't be able to!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/flu-vaccination/about-the-flu/

Flu v Cold (see table in the link)

They key one is always fever (temperature) and extreme exhaustion (wiped out for days). For a flu, the high fever lasts 3-4 days.

You are not posting on Boards if you have the flu.

What the OP describes seems very much to be what I've had for the past couple of weeks. I assumed it was just a cold (without any runny nose, sneezing), but looking at that flu symptoms table it seems to be a mild flu I had.

The flu can absolutely wipe someone out. Sure it literally kills people every year. But people seem to have latched on to the "it's not flu unless you're confined to a bed for a week." I think this is in part because people like to feel smarter than others who don't know that a flu is... Also I reckon they feel it diminishes the extent of their illness if someone else has a flu but does a bit of work from home while getting better.

I've had colleagues in the office before who were sick for a couple of days but worked through it because they had to get something done. I don't think they should have, but that's a separate point. And then they go to the doctor and get diagnosed with a flu. I choose to believe the medical professional over people who hear that they were able to do stuff and decide it wasn't the flu.

I see the exact same with migraines. I used to get very bad ones as a teenager, but I grew out of them. As a teenager I couldn't do anything with them, headache was too bad, could barely lift myself, a decent bit of vomiting. Now, I still get the blurred vision followed by fatigue, headache, nausea. It's clearly a migraine, but extremely mild compared to what I remember. Some people disregard someone who can hold a conversation as not someone with a migraine. But they might just have a very mild one. Which isn't a big deal, but it is a migraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you kept the receipt for the vaccine and get this flu do you get your money back? If not what was the point in getting the vaccine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

GooglePlus wrote: »
    All sounds like common influenza.

People forget or have never experienced how nasty the flu is.
    It doesn't help that many call the common cold a flu.

• Advertisement

If you kept the receipt for the vaccine and get this flu do you get your money back? If not what was the point in getting the vaccine?

The vaccine tries to cover the strains of flu that is most likely to infect people in the coming year. Most years they get it right but not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

As I said in a previous post, I had the flu once in my life about eighteen years ago, and I've never forgotten it, yes I've had bad colds, infections, tummy bugs & fevers but the flu was on another level. I just get exasperated when people say they have the flu when in actual fact they have a bad cold, which is not to be sneezed at :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Being flippant here but with all the advances in medical science I often wonder how viruses survive and mutate yet we all die. Eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Got the flu about 6 years ago. Haven't missed a flu vaccine since.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    9 out of 11 who were at my house xmas day have come down with this since (4 kids and 5 adults) . We had one wiped out sick kid on the day.. no interest in food, presents etc... just high temperature, no appetite, sleeping etc...

4 of the 9 affected have ended up with secondary chest infections.

1 (a 3 year old) was rushed to hospital today.

Only 2 unaffected were me and the wife. We were also the only 2 who had the flu vaccine.

Co-incidence ? Maybe. But looks like flu to me.

Out of interest...genuinely....did the owners of the sick kid not suggest that others might be better off not being around the child??Admittedly now, I do get that it was christmas day, and a last minute cancellation is not exactly ideal.But sounds like there were far reaching implications from that dose...

Just we got stung last year with a sick child who was brought to a large family gathering, infecting 2 of our kids with the most awful vomiting bug I have ever seen, over the Christmas break, so I tend to be a bit wary taking mine anywhere when sick ever since.

• Advertisement

Being flippant here but with all the advances in medical science I often wonder how viruses survive and mutate yet we all die. Eventually.

The better we get at fighting new strains the faster it mutates.
    Just like some bacteria has now mutated to the point where no antibiotic will work.

So we are forcing it to evolve. That said the chance of dying to such things are a tiny fraction of what it was 100 years ago. So overall it's for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/flu-vaccination/about-the-flu/

Flu v Cold (see table in the link)

They key one is always fever (temperature) and extreme exhaustion (wiped out for days). For a flu, the high fever lasts 3-4 days.

You are not posting on Boards if you have the flu.

In general that is correct but in absolute terms that does not appear to be valid.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/03/17/290878964/even-if-you-dont-have-symptoms-you-may-still-have-the-flu

People can have the flu and not be floored by it.
    Maybe its a version of a strain they previously encountered.
    Or they have some genetic protection against.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

tuxy wrote: »
    The vaccine tries to cover the strains of flu that is most likely to infect people in the coming year. Most years they get it right but not always.

Actually it's a little less than that... Studies in the US and UK have a success rate for the vaccine over the last 10 years in the 43% - 46% range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

shesty wrote: »
    Out of interest...genuinely....did the owners of the sick kid not suggest that others might be better off not being around the child??Admittedly now, I do get that it was christmas day, and a last minute cancellation is not exactly ideal.But sounds like there were far reaching implications from that dose...

Just we got stung last year with a sick child who was brought to a large family gathering, infecting 2 of our kids with the most awful vomiting bug I have ever seen, over the Christmas break, so I tend to be a bit wary taking mine anywhere when sick ever since.

Hindsight and all that.. we thought the sick kid was just a bit overwhelmed by the occassion.. symptoms only flared around midday very suddenly.. up late waiting for santa etc.. or overdosed on selection boxes on xmas eve. No- one was aware of any nasty doses going around... and ad you say yourself.. last minute cancellations when folks are inbound from hundreds of miles away.. might have been possible 24 hours earlier... just crappy timing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

thomil wrote: »
    Add nausea and vomiting ( extremely rare for me) to Stage one, and this just about sums it up for me. Definitely also dealing with a sore ribcage and shoulders for some reason. New year's eve and day were pretty miserable for me.

That sounds like gastroenteritis which is often called stomach flu but isn't a strain of the influenza virus. People with influenza rarely vomit. Influenza is spread by coughing/sneezing but many other viruses spread by making their victims vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

That sounds like gastroenteritis which is often called stomach flu but isn't a strain of the influenza virus. People with influenza rarely vomit. Influenza is spread by coughing/sneezing but many other viruses spread by making their victims vomit.

This strain is documented to have gastro involvement especially in children
    My grandchildren had the full works of pains , aches , fever , cough , head cold , headache and diarrhoea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The swine flu was a weird one. It was hyped up by governments and pharmas but it was actually one of the milder forms of flu. In any event the pharmas were allowed to rush out a vaccine with minimal testing. There are now links to the initial swine flu vaccine and narcolepsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭1641

The swine flu was a weird one. It was hyped up by governments and pharmas but it was actually one of the milder forms of flu. In any event the pharmas were allowed to rush out a vaccine with minimal testing. There are now links to the initial swine flu vaccine and narcolepsy.

Not that weird. There was always a worry that a swine flu would mutate and infect humans - and that the result would be very severe. Swine were the origin of the 1918- 19 flu epidemic which is variously estimated to have killed between 20 and 50 million worldwide. It just so happened that this one turned out to be relatively mild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Seems to be a very bad dose of whatever going around at the moment and it does seem to be hitting young people and children badly.

I don't think I've ever heard of so many people sick, it's been to ours as well and currently have third family member here in the house with it.

A couple of people I know in hospital with what looks like the same thing at the moment.

Hope it fecks off soon enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

1641 wrote: »
    Not that weird. There was always a worry that a swine flu would mutate and infect humans - and that the result would be very severe. Swine were the origin of the 1918- 19 flu epidemic which is variously estimated to have killed between 20 and 50 million worldwide. It just so happened that this one turned out to be relatively mild.

But big pharma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Talking shíte only as internet cretins can.

"Comparison of Impact to Seasonal Influenza
    Children were hospitalized due to pH1N1 at a rate of approximately 117 per 100 000 (Table 4). This is approximately 7 times greater than previously published rates of seasonal influenza–related hospitalization during the years 1979–2001 as estimated by Thompson et al. [4] (Table 4). Adults aged 18–64 years had approximately 4 times greater risk of being hospitalized compared to these published estimated rates.....

Children experienced an estimated rate of death due to pH1N1 of 1.7 (range: 1.2–2.5) per 100 000. This is approximately 8 times greater than the average rate of death from seasonal influenza during years 1990–1999 as estimated from data by Thompson et al."

Etc..etc

Source https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/52/suppl_1/S75/499147

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Well I’m currently laid up with something worse than a cold but not what I would regard as flu. I can usually function with a cold, but this has me wiped out, no appetite, sore throat, cough, itchy eyes, headache, breathlessness and a weird rash that I always get with a virus! (Like the way babies get a viral rash, apparently my gran also used to come out in a rash too, very strange)
    So it’s a pretty strong ‘cold’ that’s going round anyway, even if it’s not flu, it’s still enough to drain most people and leave them bed ridden for a few days.
    I’m sure a virus of any sort affects different people in different ways, depending on individual immune systems and general health.

Could it be a version of Respiratory Syncytial Virus?
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/respiratorysyncytialvirus/factsheet/

RSV outbreaks typically occur in the winter months with the highest numbers of infections usually reported in December and January every year... it causes 80% of bronchiolitis and 20% of pneumonia cases in young children. It is a significant cause of infection and outbreaks in hospitals, neonatal units, day units and nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Well I’m currently laid up with something worse than a cold but not what I would regard as flu. I can usually function with a cold, but this has me wiped out, no appetite, sore throat, cough, itchy eyes, headache, breathlessness and a weird rash that I always get with a virus! (Like the way babies get a viral rash, apparently my gran also used to come out in a rash too, very strange)
    So it’s a pretty strong ‘cold’ that’s going round anyway, even if it’s not flu, it’s still enough to drain most people and leave them bed ridden for a few days.
    I’m sure a virus of any sort affects different people in different ways, depending on individual immune systems and general health.

I spent most of sunday until 12 today in the bed with this thing, but much better Tonight, I dosed with uniflu, Lemsip alternatley and a few lockets sweets. I must have gone through two rolls of kitchen towel between blowing nose and coughing up into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Dont do too much once you feel a little better . I was two days in bed and another 3 plonked on the couch . I thought I felt better and went to Dunnes
    I had to look for a bench to sit on I got so weary . It’s lingering and causing fatigue

Mech1 wrote: »
    I spent most of sunday until 12 today in the bed with this thing, but much better Tonight, I dosed with uniflu, Lemsip alternatley and a few lockets sweets. I must have gone through two rolls of kitchen towel between blowing nose and coughing up into it.

Honey and lemon, paracetamol for the banging headache that seemed to be behind my eyes, and some robitussin dry cough syrup have me feeling a bit more human tonight. Came down with it on Sunday too, happy flipping new year eh?!
    Haven’t eaten much aside from dry toast and crackers, as the ole bowels were working overtime too!
    I’ll have lost the Christmas pounds though, bonus! Lol

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Dont do too much once you feel a little better . I was two days in bed and another 3 plonked on the couch . I thought I felt better and went to Dunnes
    I had to look for a bench to sit on I got so weary . It’s lingering and causing fatigue

I felt about 100yrs old after only walking up and down the stairs today, the weakness is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Could someone who knows please tell me how they know what variant of flu will strike before they make up the vaccine.

Somehow I think a rogue virus slipped through this year. But then again the REAL flu may not be rampant because of the vaccine maybe?

You’d wonder.

HSE Seasonal influenza report.
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/surveillance/influenzasurveillancereports/20192020season/Influenza_Surveillance_Report_Week%2050%202019.pdf
    The WHO vaccine strain selection committee recommend that quadrivalent vaccines for use in the 2019/2020 northern hemisphere influenza season contain the following:
    an A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
    an A/Kansas/14/2017 (H3N2)-like virus;
    a B/Colorado/06/2017-like virus (B/Victoria/2/87 lineage); and
    a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus (B/Yamagata/16/88 lineage).

The European CDC characterized a load of flu specimens circulating towards the end of the year.
    AH3 types were dominant in Ireland at the time of that report.

Number of viruses assigned to each phylogenetic group, WHO European Region, weeks 40–49/2019
    Phylogenetic group|Number of viruses
    A(H1)pdm09 group 6B.1A5A, rep A/Norway/3433/2018 |31
    A(H1)pdm09 group 6B.1A7, rep A/Slovenia/1489/2019 |1
    A(H1)pdm09 group 6B.1A5B, rep A/Switzerland/3330/2018 |14
    A(H3) group 3C.2a1b+T135K-B, rep A/Hong Kong/2675/2019 |27
    A(H3) group 3C.3a, rep A/Kansas/14/2017 a |65
    A(H3) group 3C.2a1b+T135K-A, rep A/La Rioja/2202/2018 |5
    A(H3) group 3C.2a1b+T131K, rep A/South Australia/34/2019 |66
    B(Vic)-lineage subclade 1A(2) (del162-163 group), rep B/Colorado/06/2017 a |2
    B(Vic)-lineage subclade 1A(3)B (del162-164 group), rep B/Washington/02/2019 |31
    B(Yam)-lineage clade 3, rep B/Phuket/3073/2013 b |5

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/influenza-situation-assessment-18-December-2019.pdf

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/advanced-reading-types-of-flu-viruses#1
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/types.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

had some class of a virus the last few weeks as well, mostly a chest cold though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Flu is an object of the imagination dreamt up by drugs companies trying to sell vaccines to gullible countries.
    I've never had it, never seen anyone with it ever and been around this earth a long long time.
    God love ya. :pac: (a long long time is probably 30s).

Anyway, exactly this time 15 years ago I got the flu - started off like a standard cold but by 11pm I just had to go home from the pub and I adored NYE. My legs were like lead though, needed bed. Woke at 4am burning up yet shivering with cold, and drenched with sweat. I had to put on the heating but could barely muster up the energy to go out to the boiler in the kitchen. In the morning when I needed to go to the loo, I literally had to crawl. My legs were so severely heavy and aching it was scary. Zero energy and barely enough strength. Completely relied on boyfriend, friends and family, but didn't want them getting it. After a few days I got out of bed and went to make a cup of tea - I was feeling a good bit better but when I was standing by the kettle for a few minutes, the room started to spin, sweats began, and I thought I was going to projectile puke. Thankfully felt better once I lay down on the couch, but I realised I still wasn't ready even to be upright.

It's a frightening dose - and I can see how it's so dangerous for the elderly.

You can get really miserable colds that require bed rest and even a visit to the doctor, and without attention they can turn into a chest/lung infection, but the flu... it's a different ball game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement