Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest type of flu??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ha ha, you won't be saying that after you've had it.
    There's some people in hospital with flu, it's that bad.

You'll know all about it, when you're bed ridden for a week.

I had the flu 2 years ago, you are correct , you dont forget how bad it is, I thought I had some sort of serious illness at the time . . You dont "get a bit of flu" or have a bout, its crippling for days and its effects can hang around for weeks after. My doctor told me most people dont actually know what the flu is until they get it and many confuse a cold with the flu . .

The flu is absolutely horrible .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

893bet wrote: »
    You ok now hun?

What the OP had was not the flu virus. That’s a fact. I called it a “slight virus”. He had a ****ing cold.

And by flu virus, I mean the traditional flu virus, not one that makes you a little tired as per the OP.
    As in the one where you are confined to bed for a week+ and your body is timid for a fair few weeks after.

Had it once.

If you want we can call every virus or cold the flu which is what people do.

Like you are the expert on how people feel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

From op:yes add tender abdomen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Its horrible, just getting over it myself, couldn't move the first few days, then unbelievable raking cough with phlegm, ribs sore from it that lasted a week, on more antibiotics for chest infection now but its clearing up.

Never again do i want to go through that.

The sore ribs was a strange one that i hadnt noticed with a cold/flu before, i thought i had done damage the previous night drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Drumpot wrote: »
    You dont "get a bit of flu" or have a bout, its crippling for days and its effects can hang around for weeks after. My doctor told me most people dont actually know what the flu is until they get it and many confuse a cold with the flu . .

The flu is absolutely horrible .

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/03/17/290878964/even-if-you-dont-have-symptoms-you-may-still-have-the-flu?t=1572558841156&t=1577897533576

This is untrue, and an attitude that is leading to increased spread of flu by people who think they should continue to go about their business because if they're not bedridden then it's not flu. Flu can be mild in some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭thomil

lalababa wrote: »
    A few people I know have had this, I had a similar one 2 years ago, do many have it? Is it a super flu? WTF is it?
    Stage one :
    Zero energy, headache, no appetite, chills, sweats,dryish cough,no real phlem or mucous.lasts about 5days.
    Stage two:
    slightly more energy, no chills/sweats, no headache, small appetite, a little phlem , lasts about 4 days .

Add nausea and vomiting ( extremely rare for me) to Stage one, and this just about sums it up for me. Definitely also dealing with a sore ribcage and shoulders for some reason. New year's eve and day were pretty miserable for me.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I only had the flu once. I was in my 20s and it nearly killed me. Awful. Stuck to the bed for days.

The current virus is not nice and is long lasting but it is not the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

thomil wrote: »
    Add nausea and vomiting ( extremely rare for me) to Stage one, and this just about sums it up for me. Definitely also dealing with a sore ribcage and shoulders for some reason. New year's eve and day were pretty miserable for me.
    Had this 2 days before Christmas, spent all day right beside the fire trying to get warm, full sure I was going to be a wreck for Christmas, luckily that part only lasted 24 hours, now hopefully end of stage 2 with lots of phlegm

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭champchamp

Agreed. If you had the flu you wouldn't be posting on boards. I had it once, genuinely didn't care if I lived or died it was so bad.

ressem wrote: »
    Are you trolling? inFLUenza virus.

This variant caused me to black out during an evening meal, scaring everyone. Nasty ********

Pretty sure the christmas pudding wasn't 90 proof to cause it.
    If you actually had the flu, you wouldn't be able to get to the meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭1641

If you actually had the flu, you wouldn't be able to get to the meal.

Flu usually strikes fast. I was feeling fine one morning sitting down to breakfast. Started feeling queasy during the meal and within half an hour I was so weak I was hardly able to drag myself to bed. It was several days before I was up and longer until back to myself. It is a horrible illness. Thankfully it hasn't struck since - although I always get the vaccine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Pretty sure even if a poster died of this you'd have boardsies on here telling their ghost it wasn't a real flu.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Had an awful dose start of December, tried to work through it and ended up passing out on the bus. Bed bound for a week, couldnt even look at my laptop or a phone, just lay there drained. Recovered pretty quickly after the week was up. Never got the vaccine due to hypotension on injections but after this winter I'm just going to get it done and endure the immediate consequences instead of dragging myself through a ****ty winter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This bug COULD be a variant of Influenza, but no one knows yet. Could be a variant of Winter virus too.

Anyway it is very debilitating. Unlike a cold it has flattened many I know over the last two weeks or so.

Sudden onset
    Chills and sweats
    Bad cough
    Sore ribs
    Weakness
    No appetite
    Slow recovery.

Hope you are all ok again.

I am a bit anal and when out and about wear gloves, for buses, pushing the pedestrian light button and so on. Don’t laugh!

I also wash hands the minute I get home and top up with anti bac gel. I don’t care. Every little helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I only had the flu once. I was in my 20s and it nearly killed me. Awful. Stuck to the bed for days.

The current virus is not nice and is long lasting but it is not the flu.

Not what all the swabs in the hospitals are saying. Unsurprisingly to most people, they are saying it's flu, and my local hospital is closed to visitors because of the flu. It's rampant.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Could someone who knows please tell me how they know what variant of flu will strike before they make up the vaccine.

Somehow I think a rogue virus slipped through this year. But then again the REAL flu may not be rampant because of the vaccine maybe?

You’d wonder.

Not what all the swabs in the hospitals are saying. Unsurprisingly to most people, they are saying it's flu, and my local hospital is closed to visitors because of the flu. It's rampant.

The HSE were caught telling lies about the levels of flu in the hospitals last week. The doctors rubbished their claims. I cannot post a link but I will later.

Could someone who knows please tell me how they know what variant of flu will strike before they make up the vaccine.

Somehow I think a rogue virus slipped through this year. But then again the REAL flu may not be rampant because of the vaccine maybe?

You’d wonder.

They never known the new strains. The vaccine for this year would only cover strains identified in previous years.

The HSE were caught telling lies about the levels of flu in the hospitals last week. The doctors rubbished their claims. I cannot post a link but I will later.

For what reason would the HSE lie about levels of flu? Where was the link from, I can google the exact article myself.

For what reason would the HSE lie about levels of flu? Where was the link from, I can google the exact article myself.

To make excuses for their brutal A&E numbers. The HSE hide the truth a lot.

• Advertisement

They never known the new strains. The vaccine for this year would only cover strains identified in previous years.

I’ve often thought this. So when the virus mutates there is no protection.

But maybe the vaccine helps in some way. I’m confused. :confused:

To make excuses for their brutal A&E numbers. The HSE hide the truth a lot.

They aren't the height of truthfulness I agree, what site/paper was the article you mentioned from? Brave doctor to stick their head above the parapet.

I’ve often thought this. So when the virus mutates there is no protection.

But maybe the vaccine helps in some way. I’m confused. :confused:

I believe the vaccine provides around 70% cover in any given year.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/flu-vaccination/about-the-vaccine/

This year's seasonal flu vaccine contains protection against 4 strains of flu virus. These are recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO) as the strains most likely to be circulating this season.
    The four strains are:
    • an A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
    • an A/Kansas/14/2017 (H3N2)-like virus;
    • a B/Colorado/06/2017-like virus (B/Victoria/2/87 lineage); and
    • a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus (B/Yamagata/16/88 lineage)

They aren't the height of truthfulness I agree, what site/paper was the article you mentioned from? Brave doctor to stick their head above the parapet.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1229/1103481-influenza-trolleys/
    Emergency consultants dispute HSE flu surge claim

The Irish Association for Emergency Medicine has rejected the Health Service Executive assertion that 50% of those on trolleys awaiting admission to a hospital bed have influenza.

The association has said the true figure is likely between 10-20%.

The latest HSE TrolleyGar figures show there are 329 patients waiting for admission to a bed - a 109% increase on the same day last year.

I worked in the HSE for 2 years and I wouldn't trust anything their management report.
    Data from one of the main Dublin hospitals, St Vincent's University Hospital, put the flu cases on trolleys at about 7%.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1229/1103481-influenza-trolleys/

I worked in the HSE for 2 years and I wouldn't trust anything their management report.

No, i agree the HSE are liberal with the truth.

But I do think the flu has impacted locally, partly due to lack of isolation rooms in the hospital and there was already bed's on corridors so flu has fcked them even more.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

lalababa wrote: »
    A few people I know have had this, I had a similar one 2 years ago, do many have it? Is it a super flu? WTF is it?
    Stage one :
    Zero energy, headache, no appetite, chills, sweats,dryish cough,no real phlem or mucous.lasts about 5days.
    Stage two:
    slightly more energy, no chills/sweats, no headache, small appetite, a little phlem , lasts about 4 days .

Yes! Apologies but I'm so glad others are affected, it ruined my Christmas. What the **** was it about??? I never get sick but this thing had me bed ridden. The appetite was the worst thing I can stick coughing and all that but not eating is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

Could someone who knows please tell me how they know what variant of flu will strike before they make up the vaccine

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/vaccine-selection.htm

No, i agree the HSE are liberal with the truth.

But I do think the flu has impacted locally, partly due to lack of isolation rooms in the hospital and there was already bed's on corridors so flu has fcked them even more.

The flu affects them every year. The bug many people have at the moment is not flu. The strains of flu covered by the vaccine would totally floor you. You would not be functional in any way.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/flu-vaccination/about-the-flu/

Flu v Cold (see table in the link)

They key one is always fever (temperature) and extreme exhaustion (wiped out for days). For a flu, the high fever lasts 3-4 days.

You are not posting on Boards if you have the flu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

9 out of 11 who were at my house xmas day have come down with this since (4 kids and 5 adults) . We had one wiped out sick kid on the day.. no interest in food, presents etc... just high temperature, no appetite, sleeping etc...

4 of the 9 affected have ended up with secondary chest infections.

1 (a 3 year old) was rushed to hospital today.

Only 2 unaffected were me and the wife. We were also the only 2 who had the flu vaccine.

Co-incidence ? Maybe. But looks like flu to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement