Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest type of flu??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

How much time off work?

Nothing. I never felt entirely debilitated by it, but just kinda felt like crap all the time.

I'd nearly have to be deathly ill or have a shattered leg before I'd ring in sick. I know it's stupid, but that's just how I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Not only is it not correct but also dangerous . People should be aware of flu symptoms and not think because they can walk they are not spreading the flu .
    Yeah when I was 10 i got the flu also but it was a slow burner. It was coming up to the school Christmas play and I wouldn't let anything stop me from being in it so I didn't tell my parents. I felt terrible, and was falling asleep in class, shivering, roasting hot, and went through phases of feeling so sick, could barely eat (I never feel nauseated with any other type of respiratory infection - the opposite, my appetite increases). Got to be in the play, nearly fainted on stage, and ran a temperature of 102. Ultimately I had to take to bed of course, but before it peaked I did manage to get up and go to school for a few days despite having the flu. The pace at which the symptoms manifest themselves varies I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Arghus wrote: »
    Nothing. I never felt entirely debilitated by it, but just kinda felt like crap all the time.

I'd nearly have to be deathly ill or have a shattered leg before I'd ring in sick. I know it's stupid, but that's just how I am.

Well thats just pure selfish. Its not about how great a worker ant you are, its to stop you spreading it to everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

My wife and I both started showing symptoms of this on the 29th.

I was worse than her initially, didn’t leave the house until this morning, I went to work and had to come home after an hour & went to bed.

Got up after a couple of hours and my wife could barely breath, took her straight to the doctor and she is diagnosed as having mild pneumonia and bronchitis! On steroids and an inhaler now.

Im not too bad this evening, my temperature has finally stabilised and the phlegm in my chest is breaking up. I’ve called in sick for tomorrow (have to look after the mrs anyway) but hopefully the end is in sight.

You can call this virus what you like- cold or flu but it is f*cking nasty!

kona wrote: »
    Well thats just pure selfish. Its not about how great a worker ant you are, its to stop you spreading it to everybody else.

Give me a break. It was a cold my friend, not the ebola virus. Get off your moral high horse.

I felt just about well enough to work, so I went to work.

I can guarantee you if I used the excuse of "I don't want to spread it" I would be laughed out of the building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Give me a break. It was a cold my friend, not the ebola virus. Get off your moral high horse.

I can guarantee you if I used the excuse of "I don't want to spread it" I would be laughed out of the building.

If you are so sure it was a cold then why were you even mentioning it ? The thread is about the flu which many of us had . 6 of us had it and not one of us could have even contemplated going to work

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My wife and I both started showing symptoms of this on the 29th.

I was worse than her initially, didn’t leave the house until this morning, I went to work and had to come home after an hour & went to bed.

Got up after a couple of hours and my wife could barely breath, took her straight to the doctor and she is diagnosed as having mild pneumonia and bronchitis! On steroids and an inhaler now.

Im not too bad this evening, my temperature has finally stabilised and the phlegm in my chest is breaking up. I’ve called in sick for tomorrow (have to look after the mrs anyway) but hopefully the end is in sight.

You can call this virus what you like- cold or flu but it is f*cking nasty!

I hope your wife feels better soon . I too am on steroids and antibiotics after the flu last week . It was a nasty debilitating dose

If you are so sure it was a cold then why were you even mentioning it ? The thread is about the flu which many of us had . 6 of us had it and not one of us could have even contemplated going to work

I said in my original post that I thought it was just a cold, rather than the flu - which I have had before and does leave you bedridden for a while - I mentioned it because it's been the most long lasting and persistent cold I've ever had and it seems slightly coincidental that it's coincided with this already notoriously bad flu season.

People seemed to be contributing their own personal anecdotes of feeling under the weather, I didn't feel I was wildly off topic. Cold, flu, you know...general malaise.

I didn't realise that this thread was solely just for 100% confirmed cases of influenza. I apologise wholeheartedly if I have hurt anyone's feelings or somehow lessened their suffering with my contribution. I hope that you can forgive me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Needs more 'Big Pharma'.

Speaking of which! I got the flu shot in October.

Everyone in the house except me got the flu. My wife was the only one who could describe it properly and it matches what the OP described.

For anyone who has not got that flu yet. Get the Flu Shot. This year's batch must work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It does seem like the recent new virus attacked the lungs in particular. So many people turning up with bronchitis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I was stupid . My husband got the vaccine the same day and seems to be the last man standing , maybe he got lucky

I got the shot and was last man standing in our house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

It does seem like the recent new virus attacked the lungs in particular. So many people turning up with bronchitis.
    Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is also going around at the moment.

Symptoms of it mimic a cold and may be causing what some people here are describing with their sore throats and coughs.

It's not as severe as the influenza strains that are more debilitating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I had it and had to go work, could only get one day off, it was horrible. I rang my manager to tell him I was sick, he bit the nose off me so felt I had to go in the following day, I was nearly in tears getting out of bed.
    Ive only ever been that sick once before in my life, I was in bed with two big blankets, a dressing gown, a jumper, pajamas and a scarf, I had two radiators on, one beside my bed, one at the bottom of my bed and was still freezing so much I was shaking.
    I ended up with bronchitis and laryngitis for 2 weeks after the flu passed and still have a cough 3 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

OK, which means that you didn't have this flu.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Acosta

I've often gone a couple of years without getting a cold but I got the cold/cough/no voice after a couple of weeks thing in October and it took 3 weeks to shift it. I got it again before Christmas and have it for over 2 weeks now. I think it's ****ed up my immune system. I should probably go to the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Or how about you just say sorry im sick i wont be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Think I had/have this myself. Anyone have a desperate bout of Diarrhea during OP’s Stage 1?

Also, think my bug or whatever had been brewing for a while, had bouts of nausea for 2 weeks or so prior to things kicking off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Banging headache, high temp, bedridden, eyes painful, needing help to walk to the loo?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Acosta wrote: »
    I've often gone a couple of years without getting a cold but I got the cold/cough/no voice after a couple of weeks thing in October and it took 3 weeks to shift it. I got it again before Christmas and have it for over 2 weeks now. I think it's ****ed up my immune system. I should probably go to the doctor.

Ha same here, 2nd time floored me. Thought my immune system was totally knackered from it all. Feeling grand now thank feck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

Mech1 wrote: »
    I spent most of sunday until 12 today in the bed with this thing, but much better Tonight, I dosed with uniflu, Lemsip alternatley and a few lockets sweets. I must have gone through two rolls of kitchen towel between blowing nose and coughing up into it.

Update: Went to work yesterday, came home at 12 coughing and Fatigued.

Went to work this morning, came home at 12.30 feeling much better but cough is pulling my ribs / diaphragm out amd now flem coming up.

Hope to be fully fit for Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Parkender

As many have said it isn’t a flu but one hell of a nasty virus. Started with shakes on 23rd and full on “where the hell am I” syndrome for the next two days. Cough and and sinus congestion thereafter. But this has also come with free diarrhoea!!! Still not over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Worst hospital overcrowding since records began, visitors banned from hospitals across the Country.

It's worse than any other year, all of us here in my house have had it. It's seems to be rampant whatever it is.

https://www.thejournal.ie/inmo-trolley-overcrowding-4954763-Jan2020/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

Got the vacine some weeks back, and fingers-crossed i've not been affected yet.
    i did get weird flu-like symptoms, but they only lasted a couple of days. maybe the vacine kicked-in and saved me?

impossible to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Banging headache, high temp, bedridden, eyes painful, needing help to walk to the loo?

serious hangover, just about over it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Archeron

It's all a marketing scam. They release the 'new' flu, which nobody likes, then after a little while they re-release flu classic and it will be more popular than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

lalababa wrote: »
    A few people I know have had this, I had a similar one 2 years ago, do many have it? Is it a super flu? WTF is it?
    Stage one :
    Zero energy, headache, no appetite, chills, sweats,dryish cough,no real phlem or mucous.lasts about 5days.
    Stage two:
    slightly more energy, no chills/sweats, no headache, small appetite, a little phlem , lasts about 4 days .

ya that's a cold, an actual flu will bring you to your knees and makes you feel like death is an easier option

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Blue Badger

Have something right now. Started with very quick onset of very bad leg / joint pains. Within hours I was struggling to walk to the bathroom or to the kitchen for water.

Then the chest, throat, and shivering kicked in.

The pain and cough havr since lessened but the throat is worse (hurts a lot to drink water), the headaches have kicked in, insomnia, and an inability to eat food.

Am only 3 days in and cannot wait for this to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭blue note

Don't worry blue badger, you'll be back to yourself in 4-6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Have something right now. Started with very quick onset of very bad leg / joint pains. Within hours I was struggling to walk to the bathroom or to the kitchen for water.

Then the chest, throat, and shivering kicked in.

The pain and cough havr since lessened but the throat is worse (hurts a lot to drink water), the headaches have kicked in, insomnia, and an inability to eat food.

Am only 3 days in and cannot wait for this to end.

The light off your phone probably isn't helping your headache as you post it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Blue Badger

Stahp, tried taking a shower just now (was desperately needed). The hot water was a godsend for the aches and fatigue... up until I vomited bile for 2-3 minutes with my throat on fire hahaha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement