Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest type of flu??

Options

Comments

I can recall each occasion I’ve had influenza in my 59 years, and it wasn’t very often, but always memorable. 1968 Hong Kong flu struck household all at once, mother slid down the stairs on her bum to open the door and take in a parcel of bare essentials deposited in porch by my aunt. There was no calling a doctor, we knew what it was and that antibiotics don’t work. Another time In 80s I clung to a bus stop on Christmas Eve trying to stay upright as the sight was going from my eyes. Came in so suddenly. My baby brother died on influenza in 1958 before I was born.

Now I get the vaccine. Last year I was a bit late getting it and 10 days later came in close contact with a man who had a slight dry cough and looked dreadfully unwell on a flight from Doha. 36 hours later I was suddenly struck down with fever, aches, shivering, headache, dry cough and profound weakness. Recalled it as influenza from long distant memories. Thought I was in for the week of horrendous headaches etc plus two weeks gradual recovery thereafter. Took to bed for a day and a half, but suddenly found I started to develop a slight appetite, got up, had light tea, watched television. Next day almost 100% recovered, and the slight cough was completely gone 3 days later when I was back living normal life. That’s the vaccine; doesn’t guarantee to prevent, but it certainly curtails the illness and I can see how it must save many lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yes. The Super Flu. It was created by the Super Devil. Here is a the only known blurry picture of him:

4tuD3EIa.jpeg

As you can see he appears to be at least six inches taller than the regular devil and is carrying a jar of marmlade which it is believed causes people to commit adultery.

Stahp, tried taking a shower just now (was desperately needed). The hot water was a godsend for the aches and fatigue... up until I vomited bile for 2-3 minutes with my throat on fire hahaha

People forget that influenza will likely cause a bout of vomiting amid all the other florid features. Why “colds and flu” are lumped together in one sentence I will never know, they are not at all alike other than you can have a cough with both. There the similarity ends.

Arghus wrote: »
    Nothing. I never felt entirely debilitated by it, but just kinda felt like crap all the time.

I'd nearly have to be deathly ill or have a shattered leg before I'd ring in sick. I know it's stupid, but that's just how I am.

Last time I got rabies it didn’t affect me that very badly either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

It isnt the flu I have but its the damn worse head cold I've had and its just lingering, can't get any relief.

Haven't slept properly for last three days and every second person I see seems to have tissues to their nose.

It's a pretty nasty dose all the same.

• Advertisement

Worst hospital overcrowding since records began, visitors banned from hospitals across the Country.

It's worse than any other year, all of us here in my house have had it. It's seems to be rampant whatever it is.

https://www.thejournal.ie/inmo-trolley-overcrowding-4954763-Jan2020/

Some posters on here will tell you you just had a paper cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Have something right now. Started with very quick onset of very bad leg / joint pains. Within hours I was struggling to walk to the bathroom or to the kitchen for water.

Then the chest, throat, and shivering kicked in.

The pain and cough havr since lessened but the throat is worse (hurts a lot to drink water), the headaches have kicked in, insomnia, and an inability to eat food.

Am only 3 days in and cannot wait for this to end.

Exact same symptoms for me. This is going to be fùcking hell.

Haven't eaten a thing all day and can barely swallow water.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Worst hospital overcrowding since records began, visitors banned from hospitals across the Country.

It's worse than any other year, all of us here in my house have had it. It's seems to be rampant whatever it is.
    My personal theory is that the insanely wet November resulted in lots of people staying indoors, and this is the primary factor that causes disease to spread, people spending extra time all huddled together in close proximity. My wife and I both got the vaccine, kids had sniffles and coughs, but nothing else. So we've been really lucky while everyone around us has been dropping like flies.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I hope your wife feels better soon . I too am on steroids and antibiotics after the flu last week . It was a nasty debilitating dose

Whilst you can get post-viral bacterial infections. If you were on abx and steroids. You most likely just had a bacterial infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Whilst you can get post-viral bacterial infections. If you were on abx and steroids. You most likely just had a bacterial infection.

I had a viral infection which left me open to bacterial pneumonia . The doctor treating me was not convinced it was bacterial but as it was very low down and leaving me breathless she covered it with AB and steroids as she was worried about pneumonia .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I've had this throat thing for 3-4 days. Mild chest thing as well. The throat pain is starting to go. Had some mild headaches too.

Going to take this moment to point out that many people on the street and on the bus don't even have the courtesy to cover their mouths when they cough. It's so frustrating.

For those of you unware. A typical cough can release up to 20,000 viruses at a time, many of them staying airborn for long periods.

No wonder people get flu so easily. People with it are careless. Cover your mouths when you cough or sneeze.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-flu-cough/whats-in-a-cough-20000-viruses-idUSTRE54B16F20090512?sp=true

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

I've recently had the flu jab - there are currently four flu strains out there at the moment.
    You can still get the common cold (and a bad one) as the flu jab doesn't protect you again that.
    It is a myth that you get a "mini flu/cold" from the jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What is the health implications for standing under a scalding shower for 3 hours?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've had this throat thing for 3-4 days. Mild chest thing as well. The throat pain is starting to go. Had some mild headaches too.

Going to take this moment to point out that many people on the street and on the bus don't even have the courtesy to cover their mouths when they cough. It's so frustrating.

For those of you unware. A typical cough can release up to 20,000 viruses at a time, many of them staying airborn for long periods.

No wonder people get flu so easily. People with it are careless. Cover your mouths when you cough or sneeze.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-flu-cough/whats-in-a-cough-20000-viruses-idUSTRE54B16F20090512?sp=true

You should never cover your mouth with your hand as then everything you touches spreads the virus. You should try and cough into a tissue or your elbow /upper arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We need a few days of very cold weather and frost to kill all the germ and virus that is what my mother believed and lots of the older generation believed, she also believed in old moor almanac and the prophecies of saint Malachi as well so I wouldnt be counting it as scientifically accuratley as a cure for the flu.

J. Marston wrote: »
    What is the health implications for standing under a scalding shower for 3 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Blue Badger

Finally ate for the first time in days. Only to bring it back up with more vomiting two hours later..

And everything was black which I think means blood? :/ Will give the doc a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Has anyone an extremely bad cough as part of this ?

Uncontrollable , Evey few minutes .
    Had shivers , headache , fatigue , huge amounts of phlegm.

But now, have this constant deep reaching cough. Can't sleep or go longer than 10 minutes without it kicking in.

Just want to know , how long it lasts for ..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If you are posting you do NOT have Flu.

But then again there are lots of awful viruses doing the rounds too. Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Can't remember seeing yer mans head exploding.

Think I saw that film first when I was about 8. Nazi's getting taken out and heads melting. Good times.

Still can't remember the head explosion, just melting.

• Advertisement

john_doe. wrote: »
    Has anyone an extremely bad cough as part of this ?

Uncontrollable , Evey few minutes .
    Had shivers , headache , fatigue , huge amounts of phlegm.

But now, have this constant deep reaching cough. Can't sleep or go longer than 10 minutes without it kicking in.

Just want to know , how long it lasts for ..
    My cough lasted 10 days . Is it chesty or tickly ? If its a chesty cough you might need Exputex to help you clear the mucous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Exputex, gives you wicked smelly farts....stopped using it as almost chocked myself..:)

Finally ate for the first time in days. Only to bring it back up with more vomiting two hours later..

And everything was black which I think means blood? :/ Will give the doc a shout!

Yeah black vomit or a coffee grounds appearance is serious and can indicate bleeding.

Would you not be heading to the hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Blue Badger

Yeah black vomit or a coffee grounds appearance is serious and can indicate bleeding.

Would you not be heading to the hospital?

Aye, at the hospital now! Wish me luck hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

My cough lasted 10 days . Is it chesty or tickly ? If its a chesty cough you might need Exputex to help you clear the mucous

Tickly now. Had huge amounts of mucous but today seems to have altered to dry cough , it just doesn't stop though. Never had cough like it. can't sleep with it . Every few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Acosta

3 and a half frucking weeks it took to shake off that ****ty cold/cough.

john_doe. wrote: »
    Tickly now. Had huge amounts of mucous but today seems to have altered to dry cough , it just doesn't stop though. Never had cough like it. can't sleep with it . Every few minutes.

For tonight try wetting a face cloth and breathing in with the wet cloth over your mouth and nose . Sometimes the moisture helps to ease it

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Parentalunit

Only thing I'd say about taking an expectorant like Exputex or Benylin is that you don't take it too close to going to bed or you'll end up coughing up phlegm for several hours when you're trying to get to sleep.
    In any case, if he isn't coughing up phlegm he'll still have a dry cough so I just don't think there's any OTC remedy for avoiding coughing at night until the infection subsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Been in bed since Thursday with this fukin thing. Have all the above symptoms phlegm didnt last too long though . No appetite blocked nose sweating, endless cough, no sleep ( its 01.30 ;) )
    Think I may be through the worst but Mrs O is on day 2 I'd say and my daughter is down with it since today. Terrible dose although.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

Stahp, tried taking a shower just now (was desperately needed). The hot water was a godsend for the aches and fatigue... up until I vomited bile for 2-3 minutes with my throat on fire hahaha

are you ok??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement