Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest type of flu??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Acosta wrote: »
    I've often gone a couple of years without getting a cold but I got the cold/cough/no voice after a couple of weeks thing in October and it took 3 weeks to shift it. I got it again before Christmas and have it for over 2 weeks now. I think it's ****ed up my immune system. I should probably go to the doctor.

I've had similar symptoms for over 5 weeks and still have a tickly cough though the raccous phlegm producing cough seems to have finally gone.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I had a viral infection which left me open to bacterial pneumonia . The doctor treating me was not convinced it was bacterial but as it was very low down and leaving me breathless she covered it with AB and steroids as she was worried about pneumonia .

And this is why we have antimicrobial resistance. The use of steroids in chest infections is a bit iffy as well (unless you have COPD/asthma).

We really need community medicines management set up in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And this is why we have antimicrobial resistance. The use of steroids in chest infections is a bit iffy as well (unless you have COPD/asthma).

We really need community medicines management set up in this country.

I am more inclined to listen to a GP who not only listened to my chest but also knows my history than a random person online . She knew what she was doing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Well its day two. Lungs are sore and coughing has finally stopped. Head exploding, nose blocked, aches and pains all over.. HAvent eaten since yesterday, worst of all hearing is dull..cannot look at light at all...so this is killing me to type this... I’m sick and bored...

Only good thing.. I got the flu shot this year...can only imagine what it would be like without that.

Back to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

I have no throat or cough issues, yet anyway. But my head is so sore, I’m throwing up every couple of hours and I feel really week and light sensitive. Going from hot to cold a lot too. Anyone have anything like this? I feel horrendous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Day 7 I think.

Blasted a humidifier in room last night. Cough declined. Got some sleep. Felt much better.

Cough still there but no where near as bad. Cough was worse I've ever experienced.

Still phelghm, runny nose , fatigue and massive headaches - but I'm just so happy the cough has died down.

Had no vomitting , but had diarrhea on day one and two. Syptoms seem mixed , either there is load of different colds and viruses doing rounds or people's bodys just react differently.

What I noticed about this different to other viruses was a sore throat I've never experienced anything like , felt like razor blades in throat. Massive balls of phlegm and a painful cough that keeps repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

lemmno wrote: »
    I have no throat or cough issues, yet anyway. But my head is so sore, I’m throwing up every couple of hours and I feel really week and light sensitive. Going from hot to cold a lot too. Anyone have anything like this? I feel horrendous

I don't want to alarm you but meningitis can manifest itself with similar symptoms, both bacterial and viral versions. Sorry if you think I am scaremongering, but I had bacterial meningitis myself many years ago as a young adult.

Keep an eye on it.

I would estimate that 90% of people who say they have the flu have actually got a cold.

Might be a cold. Does diarrhea and muscle aches come with a cold though.

Don't get why people get so hung up with correcting others though on flu vs cold.

I'm sure flu's come in various strengths too.

Maybe people have a cold , but it's a bloody bad cold, not simple head cold that lasts a couple of days. I don't think people who have it really care what it's called.

Doing my best to avoid passing it to my daughter as it's a nasty mother Fu****.

Seems to have spread like mad this year though.

Was in Japan once, liked their idea of wearing a surgical mask over your mouth if sick , never adopted over here though..

john_doe. wrote: »
    Might be a cold. Does diarrhea and muscle aches come with a cold though.

Don't get why people get so hung up with correcting others though on flu vs cold.

I'm sure flu's come in various strengths too.

Maybe people have a cold , but it's a bloody bad cold, not simple head cold that lasts a couple of days. I don't think people who have it really care what it's called.

Doing my best to avoid passing it to my daughter as it's a nasty mother Fu****.

Seems to have spread like mad this year though.

Was in Japan once, liked their idea of wearing a surgical mask over your mouth if sick , never adopted over here though..

And its also dangerous for others to insist that people don’t have flu . Flu can manifest itself very differently in some people and others can be very ill
    Flu will be passed on and people need to know to stay at home and look after themselves if unwell

• Registered Users Posts: 23,851 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yes diarrhoea can. I had such a bad flu one year that when some diarrhoea arrived I just shat myself in the bed and ignored it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I don't want to alarm you but meningitis can manifest itself with similar symptoms, both bacterial and viral versions. Sorry if you think I am scaremongering, but I had bacterial meningitis myself many years ago as a young adult.

Keep an eye on it.

The wife brought me to hospital before Christmas with similar symptoms and meningitis was the main worry in the hospital. Thankfully it wasn’t what they initially feared.

Sensitivity to light is a big red flag, if you have an opportunity to get it ruled out by a medical professional then I would strongly suggest doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Aye, at the hospital now! Wish me luck hahahaha

How did you get on at the hospital? Or maybe you are still waiting to be seen..............:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yes diarrhoea can. I had such a bad flu one year that when some diarrhoea arrived I just shat myself in the bed and ignored it.

Could you not have tilted the arse out one side of the bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

Motivator wrote: »
    The wife brought me to hospital before Christmas with similar symptoms and meningitis was the main worry in the hospital. Thankfully it wasn’t what they initially feared.

Sensitivity to light is a big red flag, if you have an opportunity to get it ruled out by a medical professional then I would strongly suggest doing so.

I’ll see how things are in the morning.
    There’s so many strains of different things going around you just wouldn’t know what you have. I thought this morning this was just a very bad migraine but by the end of the day I knew otherwise. If I’m still throwing up in the morning I’ll give the doctor a call. Thanks for the advice Spanish Eyes and Motivator.
    I have had an actual flu twice and for anyone here who has it I feel for all of you. The thing that I remember most from those two episodes were the night sweats accompanied with some really odd hallucinations. Took ages to recover too. You’ll be back at work but your stomach etc will still be weak for weeks after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Sore throat since Friday, worse I’ve ever had. Chest started sat nite with a WIcked dry cough. Bit of phlegm. Plowed on Friday three nights shift even tho I was able. Tuesday morning I dosed myself up with night nurse and topped up to be able to sleep till Wednesday morning. Thought I was over the worse of it but can’t sleep now over this sore throat and cough. It’s not the flu but by feck it’s some nasty bug

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Blue Badger

How did you get on at the hospital? Or maybe you are still waiting to be seen..............:(

I made it out alive! ;)

Back at home recovering :)

Day three in the Big Sick house...

Last night has a shower, aches and pains all over. Nose has started to emit absolutely awful amounts of gunge. Chest is sore to touch let alone cough. Head which was pounding all night long and a barking dog didnt help. Slept on the couch as I didnt have the energy for two flights of steps. Two A.M. doggie starts getting sick on the carpet, thats all I need. Cleaning dog vomit while feeling like my head didn’t belong to me.

Not going into work today (phone has already been hopping and I have ignored it). Head feels a little better today but the constant sneezing is weird....chest is clogged and cannot wait for it to stop wheezing. Cuppa tea in hand, blanket on shivering a little then sweating profusely.... Hope the fecking snow keeps away till the weekend at least I dont have to shovel that!!!

Light sensitivity during Influenza virus attack can be considerable, and the headache is perhaps one of the worst aspects of the flu. I remember years ago getting a bacterial pneumonia (nothing to do with flu or anything) and the doctor on call who came to the house “shouted” at me to sit upright in the bed, even though I was so ill I didn’t want to attempt it. He said after I just about managed to sit up that he had been checking for meningitis. He said that since I managed to do that, albeit with some difficulty, and the fact that there was no petechial rash, he was assured that an antibiotic injection there and then with prescription for penicillin tablets to be got in the morning should suffice without sending me to an emergency department. It was the right call by a competent out of hours GP.

lemmno wrote: »
    I’ll see how things are in the morning.
    There’s so many strains of different things going around you just wouldn’t know what you have. I thought this morning this was just a very bad migraine but by the end of the day I knew otherwise. If I’m still throwing up in the morning I’ll give the doctor a call. Thanks for the advice Spanish Eyes and Motivator.
    I have had an actual flu twice and for anyone here who has it I feel for all of you. The thing that I remember most from those two episodes were the night sweats accompanied with some really odd hallucinations. Took ages to recover too. You’ll be back at work but your stomach etc will still be weak for weeks after it.

Actually I remember getting a hallucination on my last influenza in 1980s, I could see a figure opening up a giant coffin-sized suitcase and they pointed for me to get into it at the end of my bed. There were two other big suitcases beside it in my vision and I understood that once I was inside the first one that that would be put inside a bigger one and so on. Think my mind was suggesting my imminent demise. Had the mother of all headaches and bone aches at the time. My temperature was merely 103C, in later years when I got pneumonia i was still fully cognoscente of my surroundings even though I had a higher fever if 105C.

Day 4 in Sickness House

last night was rough, sweating profusely and little sleep, changed 4 times and ended up on the couch again. this morning fever seems gone but CHRIST is the pain in lungs and throat bad. Coughing is slowly abating thankfully as lungs are painful. Feels like razor blades when I swallow. energy levels are on the floor.

Please ALLAH this is coming to an end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I had the D4 flu recently, every time I coughed it sounded like "you know like, I dont know cause, like, you know Like"

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 28,309 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

NSAman wrote: »
    Day 4 in Sickness House
    last night was rough, sweating profusely and little sleep, changed 4 times and ended up on the couch again. this morning fever seems gone but CHRIST is the pain in lungs and throat bad. Coughing is slowly abating thankfully as lungs are painful. Feels like razor blades when I swallow. energy levels are on the floor.
    Please ALLAH this is coming to an end!

I know antibiotics no use for flu but you sound at risk of secondary infections there... you might need a doc visit if that doesnt go away.

Gargle with aspirin or salt dissolved in lukewarm water.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I know antibiotics no use for flu but you sound at risk of secondary infections there... you might need a doc visit if that doesnt go away.

Gargle with aspirin or salt dissolved in lukewarm water.

Already gargling with disprin and using salt. thank you for the advice...Feeling a little better today. Cannot go out as we had an ice storm last night and a few inches of snow expected tonight.

Thankfully, I bought the basics the day I was out so can hunker down for the next day or two.

Lungs still bringing up serious amounts of crap and sore when coughing. Worst Cold/Flu I have had in years (despite getting the damned flu shot)

NSAman wrote: »
    Already gargling with disprin and using salt. thank you for the advice...Feeling a little better today. Cannot go out as we had an ice storm last night and a few inches of snow expected tonight.

Thankfully, I bought the basics the day I was out so can hunker down for the next day or two.

Lungs still bringing up serious amounts of crap and sore when coughing. Worst Cold/Flu I have had in years (despite getting the damned flu shot)

Had exact same as that ,with less sweating
    But the throat was like swallowing razor blades , massive and I do mean massive globs of phlegm. And the cough that had me on knees/over toilet bowel thinking I was going to bring something up. Cough is nasty - keeps repeating.

On day 10/11 now- incessant cough stopped on day 8 , just odd cough now with small phlegm and headaches and less energy. Think another week will be clear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Have it myself, though thank god not nearly as bad as some here seem to have it. I have the sore throat, but it's liveable with, the occasional sweats and the cough, but the cough isn't so bad, more irritating, Defo have the feel like I just got woken up from a very deep sleep, with a raging hangover sense of confusion and fatigue though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Day 5 in the Not so sickness house

Yesterday I finally got bored to death officially.
    It was freezing outside, an ice storm meant I was trapped anyhow, the driveway is long and steep. I went outside in many layers and put salt all the way up the hill. OK the car had to be de-iced also as I couldn’t open any of the doors.

As I was salting my nose was like a slime factory, the cough was horrendous and the crap that came up was enough to keep a cottage cheese factory in business for years. Having achieved my goals and going back into the house the coughing and slime production continued for a number of hours. Funnily enough, this morning, I feel a lot better. The slime production has finished, the chest is clearish and my head seems to be back to normal.

I just hope this is the last of this for a LONG time.

Back to work tomorrow, FINALLY, I have to pay for this enforced holiday ..;)

Thanks for all the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

15 days out from when I first came down with this dose and the cough and fatigue that are lingering is just unreal!
    I could literally sleep sitting up most days within hours of getting up, absolutely wiped out from this.
    And this bloody cough, I’m irritating myself listening to it now!

It’s widespread though it seems, watching loose women earlier and one of them had it since new year and said the cough is just lingering and once she starts she can’t stop.
    So at least we are not alone.
    But god I’m so over it now, I want to feel normal again! Went for a walk yesterday and felt like I’d climbed Mount Everest after! Weak as a cat.

Cherrycola wrote: »
    15 days out from when I first came down with this dose and the cough and fatigue that are lingering is just unreal!
    I could literally sleep sitting up most days within hours of getting up, absolutely wiped out from this.
    And this bloody cough, I’m irritating myself listening to it now!

It’s widespread though it seems, watching loose women earlier and one of them had it since new year and said the cough is just lingering and once she starts she can’t stop.
    So at least we are not alone.
    But god I’m so over it now, I want to feel normal again! Went for a walk yesterday and felt like I’d climbed Mount Everest after! Weak as a cat.

Hang on in there , I was 17 days( from when I first had symptoms ) yesterday and it was the first day I felt “ normal “
    I actually went for a walk by the sea snd it was wonderful to be out and feeling good

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Well I’m currently laid up with something worse than a cold but not what I would regard as flu. I can usually function with a cold, but this has me wiped out, no appetite, sore throat, cough, itchy eyes, headache, breathlessness and a weird rash that I always get with a virus! (Like the way babies get a viral rash, apparently my gran also used to come out in a rash too, very strange)
    So it’s a pretty strong ‘cold’ that’s going round anyway, even if it’s not flu, it’s still enough to drain most people and leave them bed ridden for a few days.
    I’m sure a virus of any sort affects different people in different ways, depending on individual immune systems and general health.

Similar to me. I had the Flu when I was 18, wiped out for 2 weeks. The first week was hell, really 'Take me now Jesus' type bad.

People are calling this flu. It came on quick Christmas night, and St. Stephens day I was stuck to the bed, my wife had taken the kids to her mothers before I got too bad, she said 'put on a dressing gown'. The dressing gown was a few feet away from the bed, may as well have been siberia. Nearly all my muscles ached and I had a temperature.

My wife came home that night and Nurofen made a masssive difference. The next 3 days I also spent in bed, but by that time I got a chest infection and had trouble breathing even with medication (that was scary). The Dry cough persisted and the high temp came and went (thanks Nurofen). It was two weeks before I got better. I felt slightly nauseous in the early days, but I've a high threshold before throwing up.

But, was it flu?

My daughter got it, and was bad for a couple of days, but went to school on day 4 pretty okay. Then I tought, fuk me, WAS THIS MANFLU I had :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Lads, I've had it since New Years Eve and the cough is only starting to abate now but my voice still keeps going. Drinking honey in hot water all day today and I've still no voice.

So frustrating especially in work when people insist on speaking to me even though they know I've no voice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement