Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you feel the need to buy a new car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Telly wrote: »
    My new car should be delivered next week. I’m now driving a 181 but it’s a 2 door and circumstances have changed so need a 4 door now and said feck it and got all the bells and whistles. I doubt I’ll be changing it over the next 7/8 years now. I don’t see it as a waste of money at all.
    It's that obsession with the price tag and immediate depreciation that gets people all lathered up. If it gets you and yours through a decent lifespan it'll have been worth it. How much people spend and whether they spend is up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I know you struggle with figures, its 35000 over 16 years, not all today.

You shouldn't set up a new account and try to do it all in one go, spread that 35000 out like I did, it'll take you up to retirement.

Averages 6 posts every day the past 16 years

Tis a bit sad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Jaysus, you really no nothing about cars. Keep spending money on new cars, your great for people like me.

So in a 2010 Octavia versus a 2019 Octavia at 120 KM/h please tell me how i'll survive in a 120 KM/H crash.

U better buy a bulldozer if u want to survive crashes at 120 Kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Okay lets go. I'm a very intelligent person. Math and Physics degree from NUIM

My phone cost me 130 euro, its a moto G7 power, brilliant phone with the best battery you can get.

Are you going to stay in Ireland for the rest of your life? How sad.

Very intelligent?

By the way that Motorola is a fairly shìt phone bar it's battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Curious as to how one could or indeed want to retire at 45?

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Being being really, really , super smart and having the cash on hand to buy a 7 series in the morning, should one desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Being being really, really , super smart and having the cash on hand to buy a 7 series in the morning, should one desire.

Did you sell a fangled tech startup to Mark Zuckerberg or something?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nah, just another issue with Ireland.
    To be fair, it is a well known fact that Ireland is solely responsible for supplying the rest of the planet with second hand cars, being the only country where people buy new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Some would say it's because I have more money than sense, but actually, it's more reasoned than that - it's validates me as a person.

I can't truly afford it either, but the pcp let's me delude myself that I can.

My low self esteem - and correctly so given the low accomplishments of my life - can be masked somewhat, in my own mind anyway, by feeling that I am projecting an image of wealth and success by driving a new car. Preferably a big one, which is almost as important as its age. The problem is that many people arent well clued up on car models and their values, so having an upto date 201 numberplate is the surest way to show that I, as a person, am worth something.

Its not that I look down on people with old cars either, although there is a subtle satisfaction. It's more that I am easily able to convince myself that they do notice my fresh car, and look up to me as more successful than them.

Bottom line, all of that is good value to me for €15k every third year. To each his own I guess. Don't judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

Remember to deeply inhale those poo particles.

Your obsession with bodily fluids is almost endearingly childlike. You walk around in the world every day and it's filthy with other people's germs. As for poo particles, have you never used a pub, restaurant or shopping centre toilet? Grow the hell up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd happily retire now at 25 if I could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I have a 2010 Skoda Octvaia Elegance 1.6 TDI for the last two years and cost me 6K. I never had an issue with the car and is going like its new.

It's the biggest depreciating asset you can ever own and a complete and utter waste of money.

Would you not rather travel or spend on stuff more important?

Because it's my money, and I'll spend it however I want...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The OP wants everyone else to validate their miserable life choices.

WHY WON'T EVERYONE DO THIS?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Some would say it's because I have more money than sense, but actually, it's more reasoned than that - it's validates me as a person.

I can't truly afford it either, but the pcp let's me delude myself that I can.

My low self esteem - and correctly so given the low accomplishments of my life - can be masked somewhat, in my own mind anyway, by feeling that I am projecting an image of wealth and success by driving a new car. Preferably a big one, which is almost as important as its age. The problem is that many people arent well clued up on car models and their values, so having an upto date 201 numberplate is the surest way to show that I, as a person, am worth something.

Its not that I look down on people with old cars either, although there is a subtle satisfaction. It's more that I am easily able to convince myself that they do notice my fresh car, and look up to me as more successful than them.

Bottom line, all of that is good value to me for €15k every third year. To each his own I guess. Don't judge.

That's an excellent post

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    That's an excellent post

Which is extremely surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Take a new passat at circa 35k. It will lose about 5k per year over first 3 years.
    For that annual 5k, the owner gets zero repair bills guaranteed, little to no maintenance needed, reliability, safety, comfort and financial certainty around car costs.
    Instead, someone could buy a 15k car at 3 or 4 years old. It could easily need flywheel, dpf and brakes in first year. The 15k car might depreciate at 2.5k per year so a 2.5k annual saving over the new car which could be wiped out year one with repairs mentioned.
    Add in fuel efficiency of new car, safety improvements and the guaranteed hassle free running and it is clearly price worth paying for many many people. That is before you even get to people who actually like cars and are happy to put more cash in for nice driving experience.
    The problem with driving a 10 Octavia is that it is so bland and boring that I just wouldn't bother.I like cars and in fact I have a second car that I'm preparing for use as a trackday car. I'm happy to put a chunk of my income into cars as I'd get far more enjoyment out of them than any holiday. I've long since figured out to only do stuff I enjoy. Nights out drinking are not my favourite pastime, car related activities are.
    Saying that, I bought my current car new in 08. Has been an excellent car and is still in perfect condition although it is starting to eat up some money now on repairs even though I do most myself.
    I'm now on verge of buying a year old car for circa 34k. Is it needed? Not really but if I'm buying, it will be a decent car. Life is too short for driving Octavia or as I like to compare them to - cheap jeans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

If rich people like us didn’t buy new cars, then where would all the breadline-huggers find their supply of our leftover motors (my old flaky skin, snots and other nasties included).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ciaranis wrote: »
    Your obsession with bodily fluids is almost endearingly childlike. You walk around in the world every day and it's filthy with other people's germs. As for poo particles, have you never used a pub, restaurant or shopping centre toilet? Grow the hell up.

Your obsession with someone elses opinion on bodily fluids is odd, you need to grow up. Stop the 3rd party obsession madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Who are these people who piss all over their car?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Well I bought a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2008 1.6HDi, for 2000 euros a year ago, no breakdowns. When I bought it I knew it needed a new rear caliper and break pads. 300 euros in repairs and needed nothing since then except a service which I did myself for under 100 euros...

I'll drive it until something comes up that is to expensive to repair, then buy another banger. The cars I have usually last three years at a time like this and they aren't bad! The car before was a 2004 BMW 320D, that was a good fun car.

You don't need the newest thing on the market to have fun with a car, or to get a good practical car, just some mechanical knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

OP I buy a new car every year and plan on retiring at 50, hope this helps.

mickdw wrote: »
    Take a new passat at circa 35k. It will lose about 5k per year over first 3 years.
    For that annual 5k, the owner gets zero repair bills guaranteed, little to no maintenance needed, reliability, safety, comfort and financial certainty around car costs.
    Instead, someone could buy a 15k car at 3 or 4 years old. It could easily need flywheel, dpf and brakes in first year. The 15k car might depreciate at 2.5k per year so a 2.5k annual saving over the new car which could be wiped out year one with repairs mentioned.
    Add in fuel efficiency of new car, safety improvements and the guaranteed hassle free running and it is clearly price worth paying for many many people. That is before you even get to people who actually like cars and are happy to put more cash in for nice driving experience.
    The problem with driving a 10 Octavia is that it is so bland and boring that I just wouldn't bother.I like cars and in fact I have a second car that I'm preparing for use as a trackday car. I'm happy to put a chunk of my income into cars as I'd get far more enjoyment out of them than any holiday. I've long since figured out to only do stuff I enjoy. Nights out drinking are not my favourite pastime, car related activities are.
    Saying that, I bought my current car new in 08. Has been an excellent car and is still in perfect condition although it is starting to eat up some money now on repairs even though I do most myself.
    I'm now on verge of buying a year old car for circa 34k. Is it needed? Not really but if I'm buying, it will be a decent car. Life is too short for driving Octavia or as I like to compare them to - cheap jeans.

is a new VW Passat not well above 40 k if not close to 50 k ?

a well speced new skoda superb is over 40 k

some cars are hard to get second hand if you want a particular spec or just a particular car

you probably will find most cars second hand but if your options are few second hand , your chances of picking a lemon are higher , one thing buying a used ford focus , another getting a used tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I can easily afford a new car. pay it off in cash if i wanted to, probably five times over.

Its a pointless exercise, what i find is that people want to show off to their neighbors, but that's just me. It's usually the folk that maybe get out once a month and spend their lives between work and home, probably a summer holiday as well.

Yes, sure you can ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SilverFox2

Giblet wrote: »
    OP I buy a new car every year and plan on retiring at 50, hope this helps.

Can you help me retire at 70!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Read 2 pages and skipped ahead as the OP doesn't seem to want an answer/discussion. He just wants to validate his own choice and beat everyone over the head for their "stupidity" for not agreeing with it :rolleyes:

I've never owned a new car because I can't afford to. The type of cars I like, with the spec I want, are generally 70/80k plus.

Instead I have a 10 year old (tomorrow) high spec Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro with lots of toys that just eats the high miles I do every month (almost 400k km on it now and still running like new).

I like cars and when you do lots of driving it's important to be comfortable and so I'm very happy with what I have. Everything else goes on bills or my little lad so this was my birthday present to me a few years ago.

If it wasn't for insurers trying to price older cars off the road once they hit 10, annual NCT requirements (my car is serviced as scheduled or needed - hence the high miles and running like a train), and the point that it's hard to find another one in the same spec for the same price I paid, I'd keep it another 2/3 years as I reckon it has another 100k km in it easily.

But I'll probably start looking get something 4/5 years old this time next year. Maybe an A8 this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SilverFox2

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Read 2 pages and skipped ahead as the OP doesn't seem to want an answer/discussion. He just wants to validate his own choice and beat everyone over the head for their "stupidity" for not agreeing with it :rolleyes:

I've never owned a new car because I can't afford to. The type of cars I like, with the spec I want, are generally 70/80k plus.

Instead I have a 10 year old (tomorrow) high spec Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro with lots of toys that just eats the high miles I do every month (almost 400k km on it now and still running like new).

I like cars and when you do lots of driving it's important to be comfortable and so I'm very happy with what I have. Everything else goes on bills or my little lad so this was my birthday present to me a few years ago.

If it wasn't for insurers trying to price older cars off the road once they hit 10, annual NCT requirements (my car is serviced as scheduled or needed - hence the high miles and running like a train), and the point that it's hard to find another one in the same spec for the same price I paid, I'd keep it another 2/3 years as I reckon it has another 100k km in it easily.

But I'll probably start looking get something 4/5 years old this time next year. Maybe an A8 this time.

I never owned a new car either and have zero desire to have one. I would prefer to be happy and have less financial strain than waisting money I do not have on a car

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Buy an old Toyota...there is a reason terrorists love Toyota, they are so reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Getting new car Jan as per usual.

I enjoy it and its something to look forward to.

What I dont get is all the negativity? If you dont want one, dont get one, but you dont need to justify yourself by putting others down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

anewme wrote: »
    Getting new car Jan as per usual.

Something to look forward to.

What are you getting vs what have you now?

Advertisement