Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you feel the need to buy a new car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

SilverFox2 wrote: »
    I never owned a new car either and have zero desire to have one. I would prefer to be happy and have less financial strain than waisting money I do not have on a car

Everybody wastes money one way or another, if people feel like a new car and can afford it, fair play to them, let them at it if that's their thing.
    Why would anyone care if people like new cars or not, if youre happy with a good used then that's OK, but if nobody bought new cars, where would the good used come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I buy one for the same reason I bought a new house, a new bed, and new underwear - I don’t want anyone else’s jizz stains all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    What are you getting vs what have you now?

Getting a Skoda.

Dont want to give tmi here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Reliability.
    Warranty.
    Knowing the car hasn't been treated badly.
    Peace of mind.
    New technology.

Many 2nd hand cars are great but some are junk. The ordinary person may not be able to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

OP if everyone thought like you, you would have no car as people wouldn’t buy new cars therefore there would be no used cars to buy and the price of second hand cars that do come up for sale would be extortionate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

anewme wrote: »
    Getting a Skoda.

Dont want to give tmi here.

Ah I'm just curious if it's just going from a 191 to a 201 but the same type of car, or going up/down a size or class.

There's the guy people post about on the motors forum who every year buys a new Ford Focus. His money his choice and all but that seems pointless and a waste of money to me.

If you're paying money for a brand new car, you should be getting more than you have IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

i like cars and it makes financial sense.

Rodin wrote: »
    Reliability.
    Warranty.
    Knowing the car hasn't been treated badly.
    Peace of mind.
    New technology.

Many 2nd hand cars are great but some are junk. The ordinary person may not be able to tell.

I think if you buy a car with a recent test now it's fairly safe to assume it's not too bad.
    It was more of a minefield before the test system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I buy one for the same reason I bought a new house, a new bed, and new underwear - I don’t want anyone else’s jizz stains all over them.

I’m the same...I never stay in a hotel or go on holidays or eat in a restaurant on use public transport or go to mass ect ect ....

I think if you buy a car with a recent test now it's fairly safe to assume it's not too bad.

It’s better but the engine could still calve a week after the test.

• Advertisement

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    I’m the same...I never stay in a hotel or go on holidays or eat in a restaurant on use public transport or go to mass ect ect ....

Ah well you can afford a new car so, the Sunday collection from mass saved is a big help.

It’s better but the engine could still calve a week after the test.
    Woman beside me had her brand new Peugeot engine blow up after six months, I know, warranty, but I always buy something with warranty in around 5yo when I change.
    Changed to a Nissan quashqai this year 15 reg with 12 mths warranty, a little more than half new price.
    My last one was an 07 passat bought in 12, never gave me a bit of trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Buying a car is a reasonable thing for people to do. Most cant afford to buy their own house in any country/town they want to visit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Getting new car Jan as per usual.

I enjoy it and its something to look forward to.

What I dont get is all the negativity? If you dont want one, dont get one, but you dont need to justify yourself by putting others down.

Jealousy basically

Woman beside me had her brand new Peugeot engine blow up after six months, I know, warranty, but I always buy something with warranty in around 5yo when I change.
    Changed to a Nissan quashqai this year 15 reg with 12 mths warranty, a little more than half new price.
    My last one was an 07 passat bought in 12, never gave me a bit of trouble

What type year Peugeot?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    the guy people post about on the motors forum who every year buys a new Ford Focus. His money his choice and all but that seems pointless and a waste of money to me.

Youd be surprised how many do this.

I know someone who not only gets the same model, but the same colour.

NCT tells you very little - car could have a massive underlying issue like a head gasket about to blow and the NCT won’t show it

Youd be surprised how many do this.

I know someone who not only gets the same model, but the same colour.

Once you keep “up in the years” the cost to change will be less

road_high wrote: »
    What type year Peugeot?

A 3008, a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

No, I have more money than i know what to do with to be honest. A car is a depreciating asset. Probably the worst thing you can spend money on.

I like to invest my money where i get a return.

Sounds like you'll be the richest man in the graveyard going by your posts I've seen on boards so far.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you'll be the richest man in the graveyard going by your posts I've seen on boards so far.

I think he's already left the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

If one has an honest /good /methodical old-school mechanic.
    Then one can acquire a splendid/reliable/well serviced car , that has almost as much and as little chance of breakdown as a new or nearly new car, for peanuts. And by peanuts I mean less than 1k.
    One can drive on in this 1k splenderbus for several years trouble free as long as it is properly serviced.
    How much moola can one save whilst doing so?
    New car: depreciation of 50% over 5 years. e.g. A 20k saloon costs 10k over 5 years
    Old car: depreciation of sfa over 5 years.e.g. A 1k saloon costs 0.5k over 5 years.
    That's a saving of 9.5k .
    I just bought a nearly new car and TBH I'd rather me old one 😭 coz of a few little things.
    But the main one is depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I presumed it was well established at this stage that new car buyers have small penii and are seeking to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

My Honda is 16 years old.
    No plans to change it.
    Taught myself how to maintain it with Youtube and Facebook groups.
    Doesn't cost me anything in repayments just high 2litre petrol costs and the robbery that is tax.

Can't see myself ever buying a new car tbh,too much depreciation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Your money, your choice. End.

Personally I'd never buy a new car*. And I genuinely mean that if "money were no object". The depreciation hit is too much and just wouldn't sit well with me. Plus for the same money as new you'd get a car a few years old that has taken that hit and it also means you'd go up in the quality, spec and extra "toys" and when you'd come to sell it you'll take less of a hit again(The safety aspect I can understand, but a two or three year old car with a high rating is no less "safe" than a brand new one). I suppose if you got on the new car treadmill outa the gate and are invested in it down the years and getting new every couple of years is just a little extra, or merely an extension on your loan with no extra outlay I can see it alright.

Then again those in the thread going on about bodily fluids. Please god let them be joking... Or are they those Sheldon Cooperesque hand washing types with OCD? Jesus.

*I drive a 21 year old car, but that's almost entirely by mistake. :D An odd set of circumstances. If they hadn't happened I'd have changed out every 4 or 5 years and would likely now be driving some secondhand BMW M series, like many middle aged Irish guys. 3 door for the singletons, 4 door for the family types. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I presumed it was well established at this stage that new car buyers have small penii and are seeking to compensate.

Some new car buyers have no penii’s at all!

Some new car buyers have no penii’s at all!

When I last looked thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

mickdw wrote: »
    Take a new passat at circa 35k. It will lose about 5k per year over first 3 years.
    For that annual 5k, the owner gets zero repair bills guaranteed, little to no maintenance needed, reliability, safety, comfort and financial certainty around car costs.
    Instead, someone could buy a 15k car at 3 or 4 years old. It could easily need flywheel, dpf and brakes in first year. The 15k car might depreciate at 2.5k per year so a 2.5k annual saving over the new car which could be wiped out year one with repairs mentioned.
    Add in fuel efficiency of new car, safety improvements and the guaranteed hassle free running and it is clearly price worth paying for many many people. That is before you even get to people who actually like cars and are happy to put more cash in for nice driving experience.
    The problem with driving a 10 Octavia is that it is so bland and boring that I just wouldn't bother.I like cars and in fact I have a second car that I'm preparing for use as a trackday car. I'm happy to put a chunk of my income into cars as I'd get far more enjoyment out of them than any holiday. I've long since figured out to only do stuff I enjoy. Nights out drinking are not my favourite pastime, car related activities are.
    Saying that, I bought my current car new in 08. Has been an excellent car and is still in perfect condition although it is starting to eat up some money now on repairs even though I do most myself.
    I'm now on verge of buying a year old car for circa 34k. Is it needed? Not really but if I'm buying, it will be a decent car. Life is too short for driving Octavia or as I like to compare them to - cheap jeans.

Yes buy new or buy cheap with no depreciation

People paying 15k for out warranty cars are taking a big risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Could be true, but those small penii still produced the crusty smegma that you will have embedded somewhere in your ‘bargain’ secondhand car.... big boy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

I have a 2010 Skoda Octvaia Elegance 1.6 TDI for the last two years and cost me 6K. I never had an issue with the car and is going like its new.

It's the biggest depreciating asset you can ever own and a complete and utter waste of money.

Would you not rather travel or spend on stuff more important?

why do people buy big 'elegant' cars. ive a 1999 nissa micra 1.2l. cost me 50euros. those 2010 octavias are a complete waste of money. cost 6k. will depreciate by half every 3 years. that 1k a year!!!!

why pay for gym membership, you can stay at home and do push ups/ sit ups.

why go to a restaurant. you can buy tesco value vegetables.

why buy label clothes, you can get great clothes in penneys.

Advertisement