Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you feel the need to buy a new car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So Keep wasting your money on cars while i'll retire at 45-50. I actually think my 2010 Skoda will do me till then with a bit of fixing over the years.

Enjoy. That's my last comment until someone comes back with a decent argument instead of trying to twist my comments.

GL

No one has twisted anything, you been asked direct questions that you've refused to answer then tried to drag it away from it by selective answers.

They were very simple questions that you've dragged out to multiple waffley posts to try bury them without giving a proper answer.

Don't worry, you're not clever or groundbreaking, it's a common tactic when people have no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

So Keep wasting your money on cars while i'll retire at 45-50. I actually think my 2010 Skoda will do me till then with a bit of fixing over the years.

Enjoy. That's my last comment until someone comes back with a decent argument instead of trying to twist my comments.

GL

What age are you now? How long till you hit 45?

I haven’t bothered reading the full thread, just briefly glanced over it, so apologies if you’ve already answered that question.

Somewhere OvB is furiously scribbling down notes to join in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭themouthpiece

See, again with the picking out. 1 tv doesn't cost 27k, but it's a good thing I never said it did. I mean it's right there in the post you quoted, but you keep doing that, quoting and then just picking 1 word or a line out.

Stopped arseing around the answer, why do you not apply the same money saving logic to all purchases? Forget that they don't cost the same as the car, you've tried that numerous times.

Over the course of the 25 years we're discussing, you'll buy a lot of things, things which could be gotten much cheaper 2nd hand and do the same job and added up will save a lot of money. So why don't you? Why are you fixated on the car that that you wont be buying anyway?

BECAUSE ITS 30K OR MORE for a new car, probably 50K for a decent car. How are you not getting that?

Its a complete and utter waste of money.

Let me put it into perspective. You buy a car for 40K how much is it worth after 5 years. 20K even that? Probably 15K. Theres 20-25K down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

OP is incredibly vexed about an issue that doesn’t effect him, complex much?

For me, I get a car allowance for my job and buy a new car every 2 years. It’s great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭facehugger99

What a sh;tshow.

• Advertisement

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    OP is incredibly vexed about an issue that doesn’t effect him, complex much?

For me, I get a car allowance for my job but a new car every 2 years. It’s great.

Nah, just another issue with Ireland.

BECAUSE ITS 30K OR MORE for a new car, probably 50K for a decent car. How are you not getting that?

Its a complete and utter waste of money.

Let me put it into perspective. You buy a car for 40K how much is it worth after 5 years. 20K even that?

Keep pushing the figurs up to suit yourself.

Even if it's worth 15k. How much are your holidays worth? I'll give you a hint, it's less than €1 .

Again you're fixated on just going on and on about the car price. Its a lot of money, but if you're that concerned youd be saving all the lesser amounts too. They all add up. Especially holidays.

All this time and energy wasted not answering very simple questions. Your time cwnt be worth that much to you either.

Just admit it, you wanted a rant about people being able to afford new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I just drove my parents new seat arona to Dublin and back last night ,(airport run) ,6 hours of motorway driving ....and got back fresh as a daisy ...
    I slagged my parents about changing up from their 3 year old fabia ,... But it's a way more comfortable car to drive ... Leaps and bounds ahead ,
    Better driving position, better seats ,(easier in and out for them ),better 1liter engine,better gearing, even better toys (cruise control ),
    Is it a luxury they don't "need" ? yup...
    Am I gonna run out and replace my 16 year old daily driver ?... Nope ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Keep pushing the figurs up to suit yourself.

Even if it's worth 15k. How much are your holidays worth? I'll give you a hint, it's less than €1 .

Again you're fixated on just going on and on about the car price. Its a lot of money, but if you're that concerned youd be saving all the lesser amounts too. They all add up. Especially holidays.

So if a car is worth 40K your happy to lose 25K in five years and sell it for 15K MY GOD. 25K down the drain.

All this time and energy wasted not answering very simple questions.

Just admit it, you wanted a rant about people being able to afford new cars.

Petty insults now, your the one getting offended. I could buy a 7 series in the morning.

You keep going about simple questions? Repeat please as i answered whatever you asked.

You can't take that a new car is a complete and utter waste of money and is going to feck you having to work up till retirement age while i can retire at 45-50.

You say that a holiday is a waste of money? What do you do on your time off, drive around in your Ireland in your car for the week? Spend your weekdays watching the late late show repeats?

Man seriously your making a fool of yourself now.

Petty insults now, your the one getting offended. I could buy a 7 series in the morning.

You keep going about simple questions? Repeat please as i answered whatever you asked.

You can't take that a new car is a complete and utter waste of money and is going to feck you having to work up till retirement age while i can retire at 45-50.

You say that a holiday is a waste of money? What do you do on your time off, drive around in your Ireland in your car for the week? Spend your weekdays watching the late late show repeats?

Theres no insults.

And yes, you keep telling us you could buy a 7 series in the morning , good for you.

Seriously 4th time of asking
    I asked why the holidays made sound financial sense considering you get zero return but an asset, depreciating as it may be, that leaves you with value isn't.

Shouting that the car costs 30k is irrelevant, we're taking about it making financial sense, it doesn't matter whether its 30k or €30 either it makes financial sense or it doesn't.

What people do with the time is irrelevant, they can do as they choose with their time. You're the one ranting and raving that someone spending 30k on a car is a stupid waste of money but because you like holidays they're not a waste of money .

Here are the 2 questions again :

So again, because you like to avoid and say a question wasn't asked: other than your preference being to spend money on a holiday rather than a car, why is the car a waste of money but the holiday isn't?

And

Why not apply the same money saving logice and buy everything wnd hand to save money for retirement (again, that it doesn't cost the same as the car is irrelevant). Elctronics, furniture, appliances, anything else you buy. You could get to that retirement age you keep going on about a bit earlier if you saved on everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

While your slaving away i'll be on a cruise ship multiple times a year.

Got as far as here.

The OP "travelling"...ie on a boat with the cast of Cocoon...living the dream.

Marvellous.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I like new cars and it's my business. That's why.

Not sure why other people would get wound up about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You need people to buy new cars so people can buy used cars

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Anyone can buy a 7 series in the morning check the luxo barge thread

I don’t think you are as well off or as clever as you are trying to pretend

If you are referring to a new 7 series most people who buy them have multiples of the amount required not the same as you having 100k saved

Why is the OP blowing themselves for making €65k per annum anyway? I don’t make that much myself but it’s hardly rich territory in this day and age. You’d swear they were making €165k.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

My new car should be delivered next week. I’m now driving a 181 but it’s a 2 door and circumstances have changed so need a 4 door now and said feck it and got all the bells and whistles. I doubt I’ll be changing it over the next 7/8 years now. I don’t see it as a waste of money at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Deub

That's what you hope, not what you can. Big difference.

Theres no insults.

Seriously 4th time of asking
    I asked why the holidays made sound financial sense considering you get zero return but an asset, depreciating as it may be, that leaves you with value isn't.

Like seriously? Your on amount a depreciating asset which you mentioned.
    What is the difference between a 7K car over two years and a 30K car over 5 years.
    I just see it as a major waste of money when it could be used be better like retirement. I don't know your financial situation but a new car is just pointless, most petrol stations now sell new car smell air freshers if that gives you a boner.

Shouting that the car costs 30k is irrelevant, we're taking about it making financial sense, it doesn't matter whether its 30k or €30 either it makes financial sense or it doesn't.

You really comparing 30 euro to 30K I can buy a 5K car now compared to your 30K car and retire early.. OKAY

What people do with the time is irrelevant, they can do as they choose with their time. You're the one rant and raving that someone spending 30k on a car is a stupid waste of money but because you like holidays they're not a waste of money .

I never said once that I spend all my money on holidays but i will be able retire at 45-50 by not spending stupid money on a car. Another 150K from 22 to 45 easily to retiring early.

So again, because you like to avoid and say a question wasn't asked: other than your preference being to spend money 9n a holiday rather than a car, why is the car a waste of money but the holiday isn't?

I never said i spent all my money on a holiday, not once. I still don't understand how you think a new car is a good purchase, its a terrible purchase..

Why not apply the same money saving logice and buy everything wnd hand to save money for retirement (again, that it doesn't cost the same as the car is irrelevant). Elctronics, furniture, appliances, anything else you buy.
    Because a TV, COUCH, doesn't cost 30K

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Each to their own, I can see both sides of this. I only have one car, out in the country that myself and wife share, so we went new for the reliability (warranty/roadside assist etc) after having a couple of cars, (fiat multipla :pac: and Ford Focus) that weren't always reliable and left us stranded. The focus was only 6 years old when I bought it too.

But it is a big cost, and probably not financially sound.

Funny enough, my 3 year pcp finance deal is up in February, then I have to decide if I go again with a new car, or get a loan to pay off the final payment and keep my current car. It'd be my 3rd go around the pcp merry go round, and 4th new car in 13 years.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Deub wrote: »
    That's what you hope, not what you can. Big difference.

Oh I can and I will.

I'm just loving this thread cause its in after hours an not the high horse brigade motors forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

read all the posts and my take is, a forum is interesting as long as people are genuinely trying to swap info and understand each others point of view. this thread should have taken up about 2 pages . There are people that get immense satisfaction out of buying new cars and view the money as worth every penny. I enjoy renting a cheap but new car when i come back to visit and i get to see the newer tech that's filtering down.
    To be honest i'd be in the waste of money camp. i'm more into propety (not wealty/rich) and get immence satisfaction from money spent on upgrading a house from F rated Ber to say B. As long as your not blowing your horn, pardon the pun, if new cars is your thing, more power to you.

Why is the OP blowing themselves for making €65k per annum anyway? I don’t make that much myself but it’s hardly rich territory in this day and age. You’d swear they were making €165k.

I'm not but i have more money than i know what to do with

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Okay lets go. I'm a very intelligent person. Math and Physics degree from NUIM

Beginning to sound like Trump there. Next you'll be saying nobody knows more about Maths and Physics than yourself.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Beginning to sound like Trump there. Next you'll be saying nobody knows more about Maths and Physics than yourself.

I usually don't drink but on my own tonight so thought it would be funny to wind a few up.

See, again with the picking out. 1 tv doesn't cost 27k, but it's a good thing I never said it did. I mean it's right there in the post you quoted, but you keep doing that, quoting and then just picking 1 word or a line out.

Stopped arseing around the answer, why do you not apply the same money saving logic to all purchases? Forget that they don't cost the same as the car, you've tried that numerous times.

Over the course of the 25 years we're discussing, you'll buy a lot of things, things which could be gotten much cheaper 2nd hand and do the same job and added up will save a lot of money. So why don't you? Why are you fixated on the car that that you wont be buying anyway?

I'll leave you alone, 35,000 posts wow.

Maybe open the curtains once in a while or get out instead of watching the late late show.

Peace

****ing hell. More talking without answering. Nowhere did I say you spend all your money on holidays or any of the other unrelated rubbish you posted. Simple questions you refuse to answer again. Why spend so much energy to say nothing and avoid a question. Just say you've no answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I'm not but i have more money than i know what to do with

As a rule in life I find people who repeatedly state the above are jealous begrudgers always looking to see what others have. This is what this thread about really isn't it OP?

I'll leave you alone, 35,000 posts wow.

Maybe open the curtains once in a while or get out instead of watching the late late show.

Peace

I know you struggle with figures, its 35000 over 16 years, not all today.

You shouldn't set up a new account and try to do it all in one go, spread that 35000 out like I did, it'll take you up to retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

If ye can afford it why not. Cant take it with you to the grave. Life is for living may as well enjoy it. Id hate to be 75 sitting on a pile of savings im unable to do anything with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The holiday is a good comparison too. Value drops to zero straight away. 100% depreciation in 2 weeks is worse than any car ever made.

Plus you get to see the car every day, the holiday is confined to your memories

Advertisement