Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you feel the need to buy a new car?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

“ I run an 06 CRV, 215k miles, serviced to the Nth degree and sporting the very best in premium tyre technology and light upgrades......”
    Tell me more about these light upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

An Ri rua wrote: »
    It's horses for courses. Nothing wrong with a new car, or an old one. Plenty wrong with drivers who rely on such technology though. A bit like relying on sensors to tell you an engine needs oil. Dipstick, you dipstick. Or young teachers using whiteboards but utterly flummoxed when the net goes down.
    I run an 06 CRV, 215k miles, serviced to the Nth degree and sporting the very best in premium tyre technology and light upgrades. Are new vehicles better? Undoubtedly. But not euro for euro. No chance.

Oh, and I do Hindu press-ups and other functional exercises in the living room for years now. Doorway gym for pull-ups also. And chop logs with a sledge and diamond. Cos I like graft after sitting at an inhuman desk all day. You're either going to work out or you're not. Paying someone for permission isn't less funny. It's just more expensive and time wasting.

New company cars, IMO, are excellent. New utility vehicles or for daily driving?? I couldn't fathom it. What a waste.

Driving an 06 Honda CRV and doing Hindu push ups In a door way would not really suit me. In fact, I’ve no ldea what a Hindu push up is, but if you enjoy it, that’s great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I have a 2010 Skoda Octvaia Elegance 1.6 TDI for the last two years and cost me 6K. I never had an issue with the car and is going like its new.

It's the biggest depreciating asset you can ever own and a complete and utter waste of money.

Would you not rather travel or spend on stuff more important?
    Just a bit of contrast, I’ve a 07 Mazda 6 on that silly two tier tax system, fully paid for. It was doing 38-40 mpg but down to 31 mpg now. It’s costing around 6k a year to keep on the road. You have to draw the little be somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Have an 05 Prius. Running great. Still efficient. More technology than many modern cars. Suck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Have an 05 Prius. Running great. Still efficient. More technology than many modern cars. Suck it.

I was with you until you said suck it, ya childish numpty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Jesus lads. Stopping the mouthpiece troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

anewme wrote: »
    In fact, I’ve no ldea what a Hindu push up is

Its like an old king clancy, but with Kheer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Its like an old king clancy, but with Kheer.

Less of that foreign claptrap. This is an honest to God North Tipperary (North Riding, I grant you) Hindu press up.

I have a 2010 Skoda Octvaia Elegance 1.6 TDI for the last two years and cost me 6K. I never had an issue with the car and is going like its new.

It's the biggest depreciating asset you can ever own and a complete and utter waste of money.

Would you not rather travel or spend on stuff more important?

I love telling people that me and my girlfriends have an Audi a Merc and a BMW.

When I put it like that it sounds like we must be the richest family in the area. Until I mention how old the cars are :)

Me and the gfs intend to drive these cars into the ground before we ever buy a new second hand one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bigdig69

hmmmm....so why waste 6,000?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Just a bit of contrast, I’ve a 07 Mazda 6 on that silly two tier tax system, fully paid for. It was doing 38-40 mpg but down to 31 mpg now. It’s costing around 6k a year to keep on the road. You have to draw the little be somewhere.

Very true

How much of that 6k would be saved in a newer car?

If you buy brand new your easily looking at 6k depreciation a year on a similar car, even a 3 year old yoke is probably 3k a year depreciation.

My 15 year old car cost about 800e tax and 1000e maintenance age related, 1.8k a year

Stuff like tyres, servicing, insurance, diesel etc would be similar in a new car/not a whole lot cheaper, current car is doing 45mpg

Maybe all in with longer servicing, cheaper insurance and 60mpg diesel car I might get to a 3k saving a year max, 4k saving if I buy an electric car

I'm stuggling to think of something I could get for 3/4k or less of depreciation a year with a manufacture warranty, electric car maybe but then I would have to deal with crap unreliable/slow chargers and horrible range of less than 200km

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Very true

How much of that 6k would be saved in a newer car?

If you buy brand new your easily looking at 6k depreciation a year on a similar car, even a 3 year old yoke is probably 3k a year depreciation.

My 15 year old car cost about 800e tax and 1000e maintenance age related, 1.8k a year

Stuff like tyres, servicing, insurance, diesel etc would be similar in a new car/not a whole lot cheaper, current car is doing 45mpg

Maybe all in with longer servicing, cheaper insurance and 60mpg diesel car I might get to a 3k saving a year max, 4k saving if I buy an electric car

I'm stuggling to think of something I could get for 3/4k or less of depreciation a year with a manufacture warranty, electric car maybe but then I would have to deal with crap unreliable/slow chargers and horrible range of less than 200km

The Mazda is now 13 years old so lets just say for the sake of argument he bought a new car for €26,000 and kept it for 13 years.

It would then be the same age as the Mazda is now with depreciation of €2000 a year assuming he couldn't get anything for it then.

Advertisement