Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you feel the need to buy a new car?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭themouthpiece

Why would you be spending 180k? If you're buying a 10 year old Octavia and keeping it for 15 years, why would you be changing a brand new one in anything less than 25 years? So 1 brand new octavia would take you from 22 to retirement.

Are you taking no holidays at all in the 25 years you'll be working? Seems a bit odd seeing as you were going on about people slaving away to pay for their cars?

Yep i will be, but smart with money unlike people buying new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Twisting words and you can't see the truth. Forget Debt, Say you can pay off the car brand new, say 38K which i can. What an absolute watse of money. If it doesn't affect you retiring early then go for it, all i know not making stupid purchases like that i can retire at 45-50 easily.

I twisted nothing and you were the one that mentioned debt.

Your holidays you'll take between now and retirement are an absolute waste of money . Again, they have zero monetary value, unlike a depreciating asset. Anything you buy new, like a phone, an appliance, a television, is a complete waste of money. You could buy old ones that do the same thing for much less.

I twisted nothing and you were the one that mentioned debt.

Your holidays you'll take between now and retirement are an absolute waste of money . Again, they have zero monetary value, unlike a depreciating asset. Anything you buy new, like a phone, an appliance, a television, is a complete waste of money. You could buy old ones that do the same thing for much less.

Never seen a 35K phone to be honest. I still don't understand how you can see your pissing away a ton of money, Like the oul drunk lad in the pub 7 days a week.

Yep i will be, but smart with money unlike people buying new cars.

How is spending money on holidays smart exactly? You keep saying how youre so smart by not buying a depreciating asset but you'll spend so much on something with zero return.

What about the figures on the new car? Why would you be buying 180k worth of new cars instead of 1 to last you 25 years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

I have a few decent older cars to choose from daily,

But please for the love of God, anyone with a new car : eyes peeled for a 2010 Skoda Octavia 'Elegence' .. Make sure to flash the LED headlights

• Advertisement

How is spending money on holidays smart exactly? You keep saying how your so smart by not buying a depreciating asset but you'll spend so much on something with zero return.

What about the figures on the new car? Why would you be buying 180k worth of new cars instead of 1 to last you 25 years?

Your not making any-sense here to be honest, all i can say is keep pissing your money away.

Your not understanding what i'm posting.

FAMLEE wrote: »
    I have a few decent older cars to choose from daily,

But please for the love of God, anyone with a new car : eyes peeled for a 2010 Skoda Octavia 'Elegence' .. Make sure to flash the LED headlights

Ah sure enjoy your new car and ****ting money down the drain.

Never seen a 35K phone to be honest. I still don't understand how you can see your pissing away a ton of money, Like the oul drunk lad in the pub 7 days a week.

You keep pulling bits out of posts and thinking you're clever. How about actually answering the post? If you were as clever as you think you are youd realise that lots of small things add up to 1 big thing. Maybe if you saved lots of pennies you could spend a few pound on a nice new car for yourself :)

Tbh, my 8 year old goes on like this when hes fantasising about how being a grown up is so great, he'll have all his money sorted out in x , y , z and be able to buy all these things. Thing is, he'll realise the real world exists in a few years. Seems some people never grow out of it........

Your not making any-sense here to be honest, all i can say is keep pissing your money away.

I'm making perfect sense, you just don't like reading it. All I'm doing is questioning your own figures . You threw out the 180k figure.

You keep pulling bits out of posts and thinking you're clever. How about actually answering the post? If you were as clever as you think you are youd realise that lots of small things add up to 1 big thing. Maybe if you saved lots of pennies you could spend a few pound on a nice new car for yourself :)

Tbh, my 8 year old goes on like this when hes fantasising about how being a grown up is so great, he'll have all his money sorted out in x , y , z and be able to buy all these things. Thing is, he'll realise the real world exists in a few years. Seems some people never grow out of it........

In one sentence what exactly are you asking me? No BS, one sentence or two.

• Advertisement

Explain how going on holidays isn’t wasting money if buying cars is wasting money. Just explain that, no dancing around it, no flamping, just that.

Go...

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Water2626262

OP the unfortunate truth for you is that a lot of people in Ireland have very comfortable lives despite rising inequality etc.

These people buy new cars, will spend a fortune on depreciation, get a decent pension and go to the grave not giving a a single thought to how much they spent or how much they could have saved driving an old car and surviving on bread and water 5 days a week.

Be happy with yourself and don’t let other people’s choices get you down when you are out and about driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

its like the lad who spends 50 quid a week in the bookies, he has that budgeted for his 'buzz' that week, and anything he wins is a profit on it...

Explain how going on holidays isn’t wasting money I’d bu buying cars is wasting money. Just explain that, no dancing around it, no flamping, just that.

Go...

Hmmm not travelling, seeing the world. You can get a flight now to New York for 350 euro. A lot less than your monthly car payment , but seriously keep going.

In one sentence what exactly are you asking me? No BS, one sentence or two.

I've asked you over and over, but all you do is come back that buying a new car is a waste of money.

Why don't you buy everything 2nd hand and cheap to save money?

How is buying a depreciating asset ( the car) that still has value, a waste but spending money on holidays which depreciate 100%, so have no value, not a waste?

Hmmm not travelling, seeing the world. You can get a flight now to New York for 350 euro. A lot less than your monthly car payment , but seriously keep going.

But if you don’t go to New York you save the €350.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

But €350 is only the flight. Add the accommodation, the food and well over a monthly car payment.

I've asked you over and over, but will you do is come back that buying a new car is a waste of money.

How is buying a depreciating asset ( the car) that still has value, a waste but spending money on holidays which depreciate 100%, so have no value, not a waste?

Okay lets go. I'm a very intelligent person. Math and Physics degree from NUIM

My phone cost me 130 euro, its a moto G7 power, brilliant phone with the best battery you can get.

Are you going to stay in Ireland for the rest of your life? How sad.

My phone cost me 130 euro, its a moto G7 power, brilliant phone with the best battery you can get.

I thought you said youd answer? Theres no answer that the questions you quoted in that.

It's like looking at trump's twitter. Answering a question by first trying to brag about how great you are, even though it has no relevance . Then make a spurious false claim about something ( in this case your phone, it may have very good battery life, but it's not be best you can get)

Then another bit with no relevance to the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Deub wrote: »
    But €350 is only the flight. Add the accommodation, the food and well over a monthly car payment.

do you want to go to New York every month?

• Advertisement

Why staying in Ireland for the rest of your life is sad. Maybe he values more family and friends.

No, obviously not with 25 days holidays with work you choose where you go.

I thought you said youd answer? Theres no answer that the questions you quoted in that.

I did your on about personal items and you have no interest in travelling, just the latest bling, which is pretty sad.

I have a question for you. Would you rather a new car than going on five holidays a year?????

No but then you could use this excuse for the rest: sure I can buy this and that, i don’t have a car payment.

Fair play to you, great qualifications, intelligence is questionable though..

Not a bad entry level phone, not by any means the best battery you can get & the chipset in that phone is not great at preserving battery life either.

Nobody has to stay in Ireland their whole life, but if they want to. They can, that's their choice.

I did your on about personal items and you have no interest in travelling, just the latest bling, which is pretty sad.

I have a question for you. Would you rather a new car than going on five holidays a year?????

You didn't answer. They were 2 fairly direct questions, you answered neither.

Asking generally about buying all goods 2nd hand is the same as discussing buying cars 2nd hand.

You didn't answer. They were 2 fairly direct questions, you answered neither.

Asking generally about buying all goods 2nd hand is the same as discussing buying cars 2nd hand.

one line each question and i'll respond

Yes, provided those 5 holidays were camping in Sligo out the back of a Skoda Octavia 1.6tdi.

Some beast though that octavia especially the heavily choked 1.6tdi variant.. Tell me, does she pull well? Some refinement and comfort and jaysus they only eat the odd back shock every 10 years.

one line each question and i'll respond

Bull****.

I asked 2 questions. Very simple and all you do is avoid, as usual.

Which bit are you having difficulty with?

You said one sentence or two, theres two questions there, couldn't be simpler.

I've asked you over and over, but all you do is come back that buying a new car is a waste of money.

• Advertisement

100% yes. I’d jump in the sea if I had to go on 2 holidays, let alone 5.

Advertisement