Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you feel the need to buy a new car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

How is buying a depreciating asset ( the car) that still has value, a waste but spending money on holidays which depreciate 100%, so have no value, not a waste?

it depends on the 'enjoyment value' (I'm sure there's a proper 'psychological / economic' term...) of that money, and how its spent. How often do you get to actually 'enjoy' your car, on your hourly commute, in traffic, both ways?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭themouthpiece

FAMLEE wrote: »
    Yes, provided those 5 holidays were camping in Sligo out the back of a Skoda Octavia 1.6tdi.

Some beast though that octavia especially the heavily choked 1.6tdi variant.. Tell me, does she pull well? Some refinement and comfort and jaysus they only eat the odd back shock every 10 years.

She's like a new car to be fair. Again NCT next year takes 30 minutes of my time. She could fail on something.

I will ring up the mechanic if it does with the fail sheet, they will collect it from my workplace and ring me with a quote. They will fix it and bring it in the the same night.

A lot cheaper than 30K

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

it depends on the 'enjoyment value' (I'm sure there's a proper 'psychological / economic' term...) of that money, and how its spent. How often do you get to actually 'enjoy' your car, on your hourly commute, both ways?...

If you've the right car you'll enjoy every single second of that commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

She's like a new car to be fair. Again NCT next year takes 30 minutes of my time. She could fail on something.

I will ring up the mechanic if it does with the fail sheet, they will collect it from my workplace and ring me with a quote. They will fix it and bring it in the the same night.

A lot cheaper than 30K

Only 15 more years of that and youre sorted.

I've asked you over and over, but all you do is come back that buying a new car is a waste of money.

Why don't you buy everything 2nd hand and cheap to save money?

How is buying a depreciating asset ( the car) that still has value, a waste but spending money on holidays which depreciate 100%, so have no value, not a waste?

I'm looking back through the last four pages and there is no direct question, please proceed.

• Advertisement

it depends on the 'enjoyment value' (I'm sure there's a proper 'psychological / economic' term...) of that money, and how its spent. How often do you get to actually 'enjoy' your car, on your hourly commute, in traffic, both ways?...

The same can be applied to travel. On a holiday I’m pretending not to be miserable for 80% of it and just not pretending for another 15%.

I'm looking back through the last four pages and there is no direct question, please proceed.

Are you taking the piss? What about the direct question you just quoted, for the 2nd time.

They're even nicely spaced out in 2 separate sentences so as not to confuse.

Only 15 more years of that and youre sorted.

Wow, one day out of the year, that's worth spending 35K on.

Two clear and obvious questions in the post you quoted so you’re blatantly flamping because you have no answers.

Here they are again, feel free any time you like: I bolded them for you and all.

The same can be applied to travel. On a holiday I’m pretending not to be miserable for 80% of it and just not pretending for another 15%.

to be honest, I'd be the same.

that's why I save my money and don't go on many foreign holidays, or buy expensive cars that i'd be spending my time sitting in traffic in....

• Advertisement

that's why I save my money and don't go on many foreign holidays, or buy expensive cars that i'd be spending my time sitting in traffic in....

I listen to loads of podcasts so I enjoy sitting in traffic for the most part. If the traffic is too good I don’t get to hear them. I’d definitely be in the minority in that one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭argentum

I dont drink or smoke so dont spend a huge amount of money every week on personal stuff.
    I work full time and also have a small part time job that pays me a couple of hundred a month so i work hard for my money.
    My pleasure is my new car every 4 years that I love driving .
    Over the years i love the new electronics that come in every car i get and love driving the actual car..I get them serviced every year and dont have to worry about repairs or breakdowns due to 5 yr warranties
    I'm in the market for a new SUV in the new 3 months and have spent part of my time this week looking at new models.
    I'd rather that than a holiday to be honest

If you're spending so much time in the car, surely you want it to be as nice and as comfortable a place to be as possible? You wouldn't buy a church pew to use as a couch just because it's cheap.

Two clear and obvious questions in the post you quoted so you’re blatantly flamping because you have no answers.

Here they are again, feel free any time you like: I bolded them for you and all.

Because 30-35K or more is a lot of money over a few years. I plan on retiring at 45-50. I have a good car already which never gives trouble.

This answer is the typical person who never does anything except go to work and watch the late late show on a friday night. Its home work home work work work work home home etc.
    Get a life.

This answer is the typical person who never does anything except go to work and watch the late late show on a friday night. Its home work home work work work work home home etc.
    Get a life.

They are doing what they enjoy, not what you enjoy.

You don’t have to justify spending loads on holidays if that’s what you enjoy. But you do have to justify why you think buying a car is a waste and a holiday isn't a waste for everyone.

They are doing what they enjoy, not what you enjoy.

But getting very defensive, i'm not.

Wow, one day out of the year, that's worth spending 35K on.

15 more years of no issues , or only cheap ones......

Btw, the picking up and dropping of the car isn't free, its built in to the price. The mechanic isn't going to give up time he could be (or whoever's time that is collecting the car) actually earning money because he likes working on your car. At least ot one with any cop on will..

But getting very defensive, i'm not.

What?

15 more years of no issues , or only cheap ones......

Btw, the picking up and dropping of the car isn't free, its built in to the price. The mechanic isn't going to give up time he could be (or whoever's time that is collecting the car) actually earning money because he likes working on your car. At least ot one with any cop on will..

Are you listening to yourself right now? Do you know my mechanic?

Get a life.

That not an answer. We're talking about money. Not what someone chooses to do with their time. Simple financial question. Not whether you prefer to go on holiday vs someone else preferring to spend time at home. If you're bringing the value of what you the enjoyment in to it then your arguement about it being a waste to buy the car is over, because someone enjoyment of the new car cancels it out, just the same as you say spending money on holidays negates the fact that you get no financial return .

You're being very short sighted if you think lots of small amounts of money saved wouldn't be near one big amount.

• Advertisement

If you're spending so much time in the car, surely you want it to be as nice and as comfortable a place to be as possible? You wouldn't buy a church pew to use as a couch just because it's cheap.

there's comfortable, and there's 'top of the range, new off the shelf, 'sporty' models'. There's plenty 10 year old cars that won't leave you with ****ed up hips and back when you step out of the seat after a couple hours drive, theres plenty that'll get you there and back as comfortable as any other car

That not an answer. Were talking about money. Not what someone chooses to do with their time.

You're being very short sighted if you think lots of small amounts of money saved wouldn't be near one big amount.

Okay a new Octavia in Ireland is 27K, mine cost me 7K and its the top spec, Oh where oh where did the other 20K done, im dumbfounded.

Are you listening to yourself right now? Do you know my mechanic?

I know economics. Any time he spends driving to and from you're house or job to collect the car is time he isn't earning.

I know economics. Any time he spends driving to and from you're house or job to collect the car is time he isn't earning.

Ah jaysus and answer my last query please if you have the cohonies.

Okay a new Octavia in Ireland is 27K, mine cost me 7K and its the top spec, Oh where oh where did the other 20K done, im dumbfounded.

That wasn't the question. Why don't you apply the same logic to all purchases and save money. Television, appliances, furniture. It's all a waste of money buying new, the logic is the same.

See "ah jaysus" isn't an answer.

That wasn't the question. Why don't you apply the same logic to all purchases and save money. Television, appliances, furniture. It's all a waste of money buying new, the logic is the same.

Because a tv doesn't cost 27K, seriously that's basic economics.

I answered your last one within a minute of you posting it, when you start having the same rate of reply then maybe you can start with the demands.

Considering it took you half an hour and 3 attempts form 2 different people to get you to acknowledge 2 questions that you're still faffing about with , I think I'm doing ok.

I answered your last one within a mi ute of you posting it, when you start having the same rate of reply then maybe you can start with the demands.

So Keep wasting your money on cars while i'll retire at 45-50. I actually think my 2010 Skoda will do me till then with a bit of fixing over the years.

Enjoy. That's my last comment until someone comes back with a decent argument instead of trying to twist my comments.

GL

• Advertisement

Because a tv doesn't cost 27K, seriously that's basic economics.

See, again with the picking out. 1 tv doesn't cost 27k, but it's a good thing I never said it did. I mean it's right there in the post you quoted, but you keep doing that, quoting and then just picking 1 word or a line out.

Stopped arseing around the answer, why do you not apply the same money saving logic to all purchases? Forget that they don't cost the same as the car, you've tried that numerous times.

Over the course of the 25 years we're discussing, you'll buy a lot of things, things which could be gotten much cheaper 2nd hand and do the same job and added up will save a lot of money. So why don't you? Why are you fixated on the car that that you wont be buying anyway?

Advertisement