Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you feel the need to buy a new car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Wouldn't see the point of a new car but each to their own. It's not my money. My current car is 4 years old. Bought it with low mileage a year ago. Probably keep it another 5 or six years and do the same thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Jaysus, you really no nothing about cars. Keep spending money on new cars, your great for people like me.

So in a 2010 Octavia versus a 2019 Octavia at 120 KM/h please tell me how i'll survive in a 120 KM/H crash.

I have a 2001 Defender - it'll hardly reach 120km p/h

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I've got a bike the neighbour gave me.

Get all the exercise on the bike.

Tesco value is only for snobs, I get all I need out of the skip around the back

Penneys you spendthrift I get mine out of the clothes bank

(tell that to kids today they won't believe you)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

So in a 2010 Octavia versus a 2019 Octavia at 120 KM/h please tell me how i'll survive in a 120 KM/H crash.

The radar on the 2019 model means that the car will stop itself with no input from the driver, so it is far less likely to hit something at 120kph.

In a more common, 70kph accident, I'd much perfect to be in the newer model.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

why do people buy big 'elegant' cars. ive a 1999 nissa micra 1.2l. cost me 50euros. those 2010 octavias are a complete waste of money. cost 6k. will depreciate by half every 3 years. that 1k a year!!!!

why pay for gym membership, you can stay at home and do push ups/ sit ups.

why go to a restaurant. you can buy tesco value vegetables.

why buy label clothes, you can get great clothes in penneys.

That made me laugh thinking of everyone doing push ups and press ups on the mat in the sitting room blocking the TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Cause I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xidhx_f-ouU

This is why I buy new.

Newer Corolla vs Old Corilla in a crash test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Rodin wrote: »

This is why I buy new.

Exactly. Road deaths are a fraction of the old days largely because of improvements to crash safey.

Whatever about buying a 3-4 year old car I think people are crazy to go around in 20 year old bangers to save probably nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭misterme123

Rodin wrote: »

This is why I buy new.

RIP the crash test dummy in the '98 Corolla. I hope he at least lived it large and went on lots of dummy holidays. I think I'll walk to the shop for my Lotto Millionaire raffle ticket, just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Yes buy new or buy cheap with no depreciation

People paying 15k for out warranty cars are taking a big risk

I was burned before with a car like this. Three years old, seemed like a very clean almost new car. Cost me thousands in various repairs. If I had paid a bit more and bought new it would have been far better. Ever since that I really appreciated the pleasure, no hassle of a new car. Even if it's more expensive I think it's worth paying if you can afford it.
    Friend bought a new Peugoet 208 last year under a scrappage scheme and I think coming from what they had, it was a great move as it was very affordable with all the spec, warranty and reliability of a brand new car. New cars can and do make a lot of sense- not to mention the leap in safety from what they had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Exactly. Road deaths are a fraction of the old days largely because of improvements to crash safey.

Whatever about buying a 3-4 year old car I think people are crazy to go around in 20 year old bangers to save probably nothing.

Yes the advances in car safety have been massive in just 20 years with Euro NCAP ratings playing a huge role. People are surviving and walking away from massive accidents that years ago they wouldn't have. Even in smaller cars now. That alone is a big plus for me- look at how the panels and doors fold like cheap tin foil. The result even in a new Yaris vs old Corolla would be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

New car safety tech is lightyears ahead of even 2010 models.

Take lane assist, blind spot detection, radar guided cruise control and auto collision avoidance braking. I'm sure I've missed a few.

Also Audi's presence will detect a crash before it even happens. It'll activate the seat belt pretensioners, roll up the windows, cut fuel supply if necessary.

And then after the crash the thing will ring a fcuking ambulance for you with your gps coordinates if you don't respond!

But sure according to the op I know nothing about cars if I believe that.

Nothing wrong with old cars, I drive a 1999 but if you think it's as good as a new one your deluded.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    is a new VW Passat not well above 40 k if not close to 50 k ?

a well speced new skoda superb is over 40 k

Jesus don't be giving vw ideas.
    Your typical Passat 1.6 diesel that would be the main seller is about 37k in highline spec.
    There is a actually value in them when compared to a golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

Also Audi's presence will detect a crash before it even happens. It'll activate the seat belt pretensioners, roll up the windows, cut fuel supply if necessary.

My car, a 2013 (but released in 2010) will do all of that and more. It will even move the electric seats to a more upright (and crash friendly position) if I brake hard or swerve as it expects a crash might be imminent.

If I brake quickly enough, the car will take over and apply brakes as hard and as quickly as possible, more than I could ever do, and flash the rear hazards and brake lights automatically to warn card behind.

It will warn me if I'm too close to the car in front on the motorway, or if I'm approaching a slowing car in front of me and I haven't reacted quickly enough.

It monitors my driving habits over time, and can detect if I'm displaying characteristics of someone who may be tired, and warns me to take a brake. This is all as standard for my 2013, without the additional safety pack.

Had I bought the car new, I would have specced the full safety pack despite the additional cost.

You're right however, most cars from 2010 do not do this. The past ten years have brought advanced collision avoidance to features to prevent a crash ever happening in the first place.

The latest Audi's can detect a side impact coming and raise the suspension on that side of the car in a fraction of a second so that that floor can take more of the impact and protect the occupants.

It will even use its rearward facing radar or ultrasonics to search for other cars and cyclists, and will prevent you from opening the door in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Modern cars don't do much for me and I don't feel the need to buy a new one. Even after driving the most modern of yokes I am always relieved to sit back into my trusty Peugeot that is nearly 30 years old or no frills hilux.

I don't give a fiddlers about what latest tech they cram into new cars. I am a tech head myself but when I'm on the road all that goes out the window and I have no desire for any of it.

Though if I had a few bob to spare I wouldn't mind a new Ariel or Caterham or TVR but those don't depreciate anywhere near as quick as normal yokes. Really don't see the point in buying a new Tucson curdy when donedeal is filled with used one.

People aren't very adventurous. Really instead of spending silly money to replace a perfectly servicible car they should look into buying an auld Cessna or something. Takes a bit of effort to get the license but they'll have the last laugh when they're looking down onto some congested motorway below. Nearly every whole blessed fecker wants to fly so why wait until you're nearly dead and it will be too late at that point.

Getting a boat is also a good option if you are close to the coast. People get stuck into this notion that they have to splurge on upgrading their car and they overlook all the other modes of transport. Silly peeps.

Getting a boat is also a good option if you are close to the coast. People get stuck into this notion that they have to splurge on upgrading their car and they overlook all the other modes of transport. Silly peeps.

Never mind the coast start digging canals instead of motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

mickdw wrote: »
    Jesus don't be giving vw ideas.
    Your typical Passat 1.6 diesel that would be the main seller is about 37k in highline spec.
    There is a actually value in them when compared to a golf.

1. 6 is way too small for a car that size IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    1. 6 is way too small for a car that size IMO

Agree, 2 litre minimum on an exec car such as passat. Keep the 1.6's for the polos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Since this post started the guys promoting new cars are obsessed with crashing !
    Omg never bought a Car with the idea of crashing - mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Since this post started the guys promoting new cars are obsessed with crashing !

Any car that does not have lane tracking is complete death trap!

• Advertisement

Also agree, id jump in an 83 corolla or a 2019 corolla.. not having the mentality that i'm going to crash

tuxy wrote: »
    Any car that does not have lane tracking is complete death trap!

Ah yes, a computer can see/judge the road ahead better than i can...

If you think you're going to crash take it handy. If you're taking it handy you don't need an expensive car

Who thinks they’re going to crash? Yet there are lots of crashes.

If you think you're going to crash take it handy. If you're taking it handy you don't need an expensive car

OK I take your word you're taking it handy.
    Grand so far....
    Round the bend here comes a speeding lunatic who hasn't got the email.
    Your move....

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

elperello wrote: »
    Grand so far....
    Your move....

Ah yes. "Taking it handy" the only reasonable solution to Irish road safety.

I'd say all the unfortunate that have passed away on Irish roads all planned to crash then and weren't "taking it handy"?

I believe that if airbags, seatbelts, abs, esp were optional extras nobody in Ireland would buy them, cause "sure it'll be grand just take it handy".

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

elperello wrote: »
    Grand so far....
    Your move....

I''ve met a few of these in my day and avoided them all

I''ve met a few of these in my day and avoided them all

Fair play you obviously graduated summa cum laude at Defensive Driving School.
    However the day your luck runs out would you rather have all the modern bells and whistles or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

anewme wrote: »
    That made me laugh thinking of everyone doing push ups and press ups on the mat in the sitting room blocking the TV

It's horses for courses. Nothing wrong with a new car, or an old one. Plenty wrong with drivers who rely on such technology though. A bit like relying on sensors to tell you an engine needs oil. Dipstick, you dipstick. Or young teachers using whiteboards but utterly flummoxed when the net goes down.
    I run an 06 CRV, 215k miles, serviced to the Nth degree and sporting the very best in premium tyre technology and light upgrades. Are new vehicles better? Undoubtedly. But not euro for euro. No chance.

Oh, and I do Hindu press-ups and other functional exercises in the living room for years now. Doorway gym for pull-ups also. And chop logs with a sledge and diamond. Cos I like graft after sitting at an inhuman desk all day. You're either going to work out or you're not. Paying someone for permission isn't less funny. It's just more expensive and time wasting.

New company cars, IMO, are excellent. New utility vehicles or for daily driving?? I couldn't fathom it. What a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I drive an 11 year old Peugeot. It's grand. If I could afford a new car, I would buy one. Why not? But I certainly don't begrudge anyone buying a new motor if they can afford it. Your post stinks of jealousy, tbh.

Advertisement