Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I horrible...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

My dog is gone away for his christmas holidays (a week in the kennels)..

With him gone, I went to bed last night without walking in the cold to clean up a sh1te, my house smells fresh, i got up this morning and had breakfast without looking after him first and don’t have him under my feet for the day! Life is sweet!!

I love him (i think..) but with him gone, I’m realising how much of a clown he is and how stress free life could be without him..

Anyone been in this situation before? I

Yup. And now I get cats. All the affection (if you get a good un). And a tiny fraction of the hassle.

Cats are the biz

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

milehip wrote: »
    Not to me.

The fact you didn't answer my question leads me to call bs to your accusation of misquoting posters,so either put up or shut up.

I answered your question in the thread earlier. I think your answer was “goodnight”

Not much to say to that.

Goodnight to you too!

Yup. And now I get cats. All the affection (if you get a good un). And a tiny fraction of the hassle.

Cats are the biz

Litter trays though.... If no litter tray, trying to stop the little feckers digging up the neighbours' flowerbeds.

Cats are so much easier though, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

No you’re not horrible. Life changes, priorities change, even energy levels change. Personally the idea of having to clean **** and pee off the floor every day, the smell of it wafting around is vomit inducing to me, so I don’t have a house dog.

If you’ve decided it’s time to say goodbye, then consider giving the dog a chance- I’ve volunteered with rescues in the past and I can tell you it’s the grimmest time of the year for abandoned dogs. Pounds and rescues will be full to bursting with unwanted Christmas pooches, and those abandoned by their owners. Puppies get priority as pounds are no place for them to be, and older dogs won’t get as much attention with the cute puppy factor. Consider keeping the dog a few more weeks to avoid the worst of it. Also if taking it to the pound, lie and say you found it assuming it’s not microchipped. By law, list dogs have to be given 5 days grace for the owner to find them. If you surrender the dog, there’s no owner to find and these dogs can be put down straight away and often are in busier times.
    Don’t want to upset anyone but that’s the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

anewme wrote: »
    I answered your question in the thread earlier. I think your answer was “goodnight”

Not much to say to that.

Goodnight to you too!

Nope you're still typing bs!!

how could I have asked you who had I misquoted before you'd accused me of it?

Don't expect a rational answer to this either,but the question still needs to be asked.

You could just answer the question outright:

Who did I misquote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

OP "I run a business, have kids and a lot of other responsibilities in life. I’m questioning why I purposely give myself this extra one"

Curious, what made you get a dog in the first place with all these other responsibilities you have?

My wife..

My wife..

Tell her how you feel then, and if she wants it then she needs to take on all the stuff you don't like - the sh1t collecting etc. I take a lot more animals into this house than my husband wants but I don't expect him to take care of them. He eventually warms to them and does it anyway but I wouldn't expect it. The smell though, can't do much about that. Dogs just carry a smell with them. Although in my work as a dog walker I do visit many houses where dogs live and a lot of those houses are lovely compared to my own. Most of them have cleaners!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

BDI wrote: »
    You are honestly comparing a child having autism to a defective dog.

I find it really strange that someone would use the word defective, about a sentient creature, when they have an autistic child.

Of course dogs aren't comparable to children but there are valid comparisons. Children tend to reflect their upbringing like dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I have a five month old Newfie, one old tomcat, then an 18 month old female cat and her three month old kitten who I have only had eight weeks. The Newfie loves everyone, the kitten loves the Newfie and her ma, the ma loves her kitten and the tomcat is living in a Dickens novel, specifically Hard Times. It really is hard work. It's noisy and messy and smelly. Some times I have to just sit in the middle of it with the barking and the cats growling and the kitten trying to go through the television to catch all the moving things. Sometimes the 30kg puppy tries to go through the telly after her. Thankfully Christmas trees are seasonal.

I went to a friend's wedding recently where the puppy went to the kennels and the female cats were shut into a bedroom and tomcat left the run of downstairs. It was such a relief to have the time off! But that's all it was, a break. I took all these animals into my house because they needed somewhere to live (in the cats' case, the dog we chose for our own wants). Yesterday I allowed my husband to take the dog out on his own, hard enough work in itself, on the lead on the roads too because husband doesn't drive and I was just at breaking point and could simply not muster the will or the energy. But today we're back to normal running order. All hands and paws on deck. Taking the kitten out if the turkey gravy. Unwinding the Newfie from the Christmas lights. Acting as security as one adult cat goes out and another comes in, making sure no one fights and no escapees.

I'm going away for a night in January and honestly can't wait. Does that make me a bad person? Totally doesn't. Would I choose to stay away from them forever? Absolutely not. I couldn't.

Go to your local vet & ask one of the nurses if they pet sit (a lot do as the money is so ****e in Ireland for vet nursing)

If they don’t, they’ll have a number for someone that does. Also, maybe get someone in to teach you & the dog to walk on lead. There’s nothing relaxing about walking a dog that’s constantly pulling.

I was recently at a rescue where a trainer was doing a presentation. He asked a volunteer to bring out a dog that’s brutal on lead. In the less of 5 minutes he had the dog walking normally. He didn’t touch the dog or the lead. He just explained to the volunteer exactly what to do. It was class to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So much is knowing yourself, your limitations... I have always had cats; bred Siamese . Then when I came to Ireland saw the situation re ferals etc so started taking on rescues.

Never felt an appeal for dogs but circumstances changed that and I had one then two rescue dogs. They had the best of care . Harder work than cats in a different way. The second was a massively abused and needy collie. Not her fault

It is harder physically as they need walks , And they can be more challenging than cats. And they need a different relationship . More clingy. A dog cannot survive without their human. A cat will survive but pine.

I knew that after these it would be no more dogs; my mobility is too challenged now. But there was no way I would have abandoned them; dogs worship their people. So I was faithful, and so missed and miss them. They each lived to a good age...Would not have taken a holiday from them! That the OP even thought of that and went ahead speaks worlds. The only time my dogs were separated were my rare overnight hospital stays. And then they were cared for at home,

Cats are not as many see them ie not aloof. Mine share my bed and are with me all the time. If they need to be aloof they are. But they are unshakably loving and loyal.

OP needs to think this through carefully to avoid harming the dog. They are part of the family. As much as children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EllieB

Love dogs and cats in equal measure. Like a previous poster said, cats are not as aloof as people think and want lots of attention and affection.... on their terms!

My darling dog died suddenly two weeks ago. He was only 8 and just fell ill. Scans revealed a growth on his spleen and internal bleeding. He had emergency surgery but lost a lot of blood and died shortly after the operation.

To say we are devastated is a massive understatement. He was one of the family, the baby before our human babies came along and he was such a huge part of our kids lives. Every photo of my kids has the dog sitting protectively beside them or sniffing their heads as babies. He was like a big brother to them. Christmas, although made festive and fun for their sake, was very much tinged with a lot of sadness that he isn’t here with us. I’m still at the stage where I can’t talk aloud about him without welling up.

OP, whilst I don’t think you’re a horrible person, just very honest, I do think that unless you feel like your dog is one of the family, and can’t imagine life without him (you’re already imagining that), then there’s no point..... your dog deserves better. Yes it’s bewildering for a dog, not knowing why he’s removed from his home and re-homed elsewhere but I think in the long term he’d be better off in a home where he’s seen as one of the family.

Just wait, as others have recommended, until after the worst of the post Christmas dumpings at pounds and shelters, to give him the best possible chance of being adopted into a good family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

The chan chan man .........heh

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

My dog is gone away for his christmas holidays (a week in the kennels)..

With him gone, I went to bed last night without walking in the cold to clean up a sh1te, my house smells fresh, i got up this morning and had breakfast without looking after him first and don’t have him under my feet for the day! Life is sweet!!

I love him (i think..) but with him gone, I’m realising how much of a clown he is and how stress free life could be without him..

Anyone been in this situation before? I

Have you talked about this with your psychiatrist ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭mondeo

I wouldn't sell my dog for a million Euro. That's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Hope he ****s double when you realise how much you miss him watch Scooby Doo and have a mountain of Scooby snacks waiting you heartless fiend.

This thread is pretty nuts. OP didn't abuse a dog. He didn't abandon a dog. He isn't heartless for appreciating some time off and being honest about it.

And I agree with Graces. My cat isn't aloof at all really but he can be when he wants. He's been sitting next to me or on me for most of the last eight hours and even follows me to the jacks. He wasn't like this when there were three cats so I guess I'm his new cat bro.

Edit:

wMt5bv2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

getting a dog or a cat is like having a child you know is going to die at the age of 15. all they do is break your heart

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

This thread is pretty nuts. OP didn't abuse a dog. He didn't abandon a dog. He isn't heartless for appreciating some time off and being honest about it.

And I agree with Graces. My cat isn't aloof at all really but he can be when he wants. He's been sitting next to me or on me for most of the last eight hours and even follows me to the jacks. He wasn't like this when there were three cats so I guess I'm his new cat bro.

Edit:

wMt5bv2.png

Are you sure that’s a cat and not an owl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

bitofabind wrote: »
    Are you sure that’s a cat and not an owl?

It’s an owl cat ffs. Have you never seen an owl cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

And I agree with Graces. My cat isn't aloof at all really but he can be when he wants. He's been sitting next to me or on me for most of the last eight hours and even follows me to the jacks.

Edit:

wMt5bv2.png

Cat looks like an owl.

Ha ha we all thought it at the same time.

Maybe hes just angry at the moment, looks like hes ready to POUNCE.

• Advertisement

An extra photo to prove he's not an owl, but an owl would be pretty cool to have. Just a really really black cat.

2ea0Drn.png

I dunno. A lot of love for pets in this thread. Some pics 12 pages in would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Maybe with your attitude it's the dog that needs the break,never heard such sh1t in my life, you must have more money than sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    It’s an owl cat ffs. Have you never seen an owl cat?

would it be a 'Cowl.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

nothing horibble OP you took a break, 7yrs back getting an older dog thought it will be park in the walk, that saying people use dogs relieve stress is biggest BS, prob raised my blood pressure at least once a week for years now, troubles issues, fights with other dogs, constant need for walks - many dont realize its like having a kid that will never grow up, the amount of attention and care needed is massive. Then once you learn to look past that crap yes you realize you have someone who will love you no matter what or how terrible you or dog is :pac:

I see plenty young families buy fluff ball and leave it in rain mud, all days of the year just during summer that they will interact with poor animal, most cant get their a$$ out the doors for decent walk and exercise the dog.

anyhow its only few days break dont feel bad once your pet it back it will seem like it never happened, few days off for yourself isnt some massive sin or punishment, as long as hes looked and fed properly dogs usually adapt fast and unlike humans wont bear grudge for life.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Go to your local vet & ask one of the nurses if they pet sit (a lot do as the money is so ****e in Ireland for vet nursing)

If they don’t, they’ll have a number for someone that does. Also, maybe get someone in to teach you & the dog to walk on lead. There’s nothing relaxing about walking a dog that’s constantly pulling.

I was recently at a rescue where a trainer was doing a presentation. He asked a volunteer to bring out a dog that’s brutal on lead. In the less of 5 minutes he had the dog walking normally. He didn’t touch the dog or the lead. He just explained to the volunteer exactly what to do. It was class to watch.

I work as a pet sitter so I'm grand thanks. The pup is only 5 months. He'll settle down in his own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

OP, this is thread you put in "Animals & Pet Issues" about 6 months ago.

"Not sure if this is in the right place or not, I have a fabulous huge male bulldog and never really considered studding him. However so many people have asked me now if I’d consider it that I now am!
    How do I go about this??"

You describe your dog as fabulous, but you've now changed your opinion of him? Strange. Perhaps the breeding part didn't work out as you hoped?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

An extra photo to prove he's not an owl, but an owl would be pretty cool to have. Just a really really black cat.

2ea0Drn.png

I dunno. A lot of love for pets in this thread. Some pics 12 pages in would be good.

Im in love with your cat. :p

Im in love with your cat. :p

Because it's 1am here now and I'm decently drunk, I'll add one more before I go to bed.. This is him very young a while after he had to get trimmed / shaved. Ridiculous looking little guy wearing whatever that was to keep him warm.

v9PzFPu.png

That's the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

getting a dog or a cat is like having a child you know is going to die at the age of 15. all they do is break your heart

Nah they make your heart grow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Because it's 1am here now and I'm decently drunk, I'll add one more before I go to bed.. This is him very young a while after he had to get trimmed / shaved. Ridiculous looking little guy wearing whatever that was to keep him warm.

That's the last one.
    So cute!

Advertisement