Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I horrible...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Pooinloo

Yes you are horrible. Put the dog up for re-homing. It's only 2 years old, so hopefully it'll forget about you.

People like you are what's wrong with modern society. Once something becomes inconvenient, you toss it aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

jrosen wrote: »
    Why would you send your dog to the kennels for xmas? If your home I dont understand why the need to send your dog away? Mine drives me mad at times but he's always home unless we are away or having some work done in the house that means he wouldn't be safe. Life would be easier without a lot of things going on.

It says it in the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Pooinloo wrote: »
    Yes you are horrible. Put the dog up for re-homing. It's only 2 years old, so hopefully it'll forget about you.

People like you are what's wrong with modern society. Once something becomes inconvenient, you toss it aside.

I wouldnt be so hard on the OP, obviously the dog just isnt the right fit for him and he wouldnt be the first person to get a pet and then realise he cant keep it for whatever reason. The dog is looked after and clearly isnt being abused. The OP isnt bad, its just unfortunate how it worked out but it happens.
    The dog can still go to a loving home as many dogs do and get on just fine.

Some people stray animals they dont want.

What if he told you he is about to cure cancer, volunteers 40 hours a week with battered wives and clears the ocean of plastic in his spare time, is he still a horrible person for breaking up with his dog?

People break up with their wives/husbands and children everyday? Are they horrible people

I wouldnt be so hard on the OP, obviously the dog just isnt the right fit for him and he wouldnt be the first person to get a pet and then realise he cant keep it for whatever reason. The dog is looked after and clearly isnt being abused. The OP isnt bad, its just unfortunate how it worked out but it happens.
    The dog can still go to a loving home as many dogs do and get on just fine.

Some people stray animals they dont want.

When I was growing up, our pets were family. Even now, our pets are part of the family, so tossing a pet out, for me is the equivalent of tossing out a family member. I seriously hope OP doesn't have any children, although I doubt sub-human trash like OP are capable of breeding.

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    Why would you send your dog to the kennels for xmas? If your home I dont understand why the need to send your dog away? Mine drives me mad at times but he's always home unless we are away or having some work done in the house that means he wouldn't be safe. Life would be easier without a lot of things going on.

It happens a lot, you can read from the opening post that they do not love the dog and are stressed out, there is no thinking you either love something or you don't, it's time for them to go their separate ways and be happy.

it would be worse for the animal to be in an unloving environment, better off in a new loving home imo.

When I was growing up, our pets were family. Even now, our pets are part of the family, so tossing a pet out, for me is the equivalent of tossing out a family member. I seriously hope OP doesn't have any children, although I doubt sub-human trash like OP are capable of breeding.

That’s fairly abusive and quick to attack.

Not all people treat the animals in their house the same as humans. Should we bring the crows in as well. Putting them up there in the roof.

BDI wrote: »
    People break up with their wives/husbands and children everyday? Are they horrible people

Anybody who abandons a family member because they're an inconvenience is a dreadful, selfish person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭anewme

milehip wrote: »
    You're wrong, reread the thread.

No, you are wrong. You need to re read the thread.

You responded to Post 10 which was a response to Post 4, telling OP to abandon the dog at the kennel.

Post 4: I have a child, feel the same, just don’t go back to the kennels to collect the mutt and life will be better.

Post 10: Yeah no. Do not abandon your animal like this. Its just mean and cruel.

Should we bring the crows in as well. Putting them up there in the roof.

Nope, however if you take a conscious decision to take a pet as your own, it's also your responsibility. I hope you don't have pets or children.

• Advertisement

Anybody who abandons a family member because they're an inconvenience is a dreadful, selfish person.

Maybe they just have other places to be that they find more interesting. Life is complicated you can’t just good and bad everybody. I’d say 98 per cent of people are not the reincarnation of Christ all through the few decades they live for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Dogs usually don't enjoy their 'holidays' in the kennels. They find it very frightening usually.

Nope, however if you take a conscious decision to take a pet as your own, it's also your responsibility. I hope you don't have pets or children.

I have loads of children. You hope I don’t have any. Are you suggesting that you hope I abandon them?

Have a dog and a cat as well at the moment. Everyone is encouraged to be well balanced free thinkers. Hate the sin not the sinner. That sort of stuff.

Dogs usually don't enjoy their 'holidays' in the kennels. They find it very frightening usually.

Yeah but do the owners enjoy themselves when they pay a business to look after their dogs. Nobody seems to care about that. This isn’t the animal and pet forum.

Maybe they just have other places to be that they find more interesting. Life is complicated you can’t just good and bad everybody. I’d say 98 per cent of people are not the reincarnation of Christ all through the few decades they live for.

That's a cop-out. Abandoning your family because you find something more interesting is excusing the deadbeats of this world, who do the exact same thing.

I have loads of children. You hope I don’t have any. Are you suggesting that you hope I abandon them?

Nope, but if something "more interesting" comes along, I'm sure you'd abandon them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Sub human trash? Thanks..

The dog is treated perfectly well, is walked constantly, bathed, cleaned, gets affection and everything he needs. I’m saying I don’t seem to enjoy it anymore and have realised that since he left. How does that make me “sub-human trash?”. Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I had a dog before. Nightmare. Used to poop everywhere. Kept him for two years tried everything. Spent the day barking like a lunatic whenever anybody came near or past the house.

When the bell rang the whole house turned into chaos. My wife was caring for a sick elder relative and it was really hard on that relative just wanting to die in peace.The dog used to crap in his dog bowl. Totally defective. Attacked all other dogs, got snappy with the kids. Nothing could be done to help it.

I gave it to an absolute dog lover who knew it all and they gave it back to me a few days later with an apology. Another family took it and they also gave it back a couple of days later.

He went the kennel. I realised after he went back how much strain it was putting on my whole family. I was later talking to the dogs mother’s owner and they told me she was inbred and had all sorts of ear problems.

Defective dog. Call me names all you want, I didn’t owe that dog the use of my house and life because I took it home with me one day thinking if I walked it twice a day and fed it it might play with the kids and behave himself.

Which behaviourist did you take it too?

The dog is treated perfectly well, is walked constantly, bathed, cleaned, gets affection and everything he needs. I’m saying I don’t seem to enjoy it anymore and have realised that since he left. How does that make me “sub-human trash?”. Grow up.

Would you not trade it in for a younger model?

A pair of twin pups maybe.

Me grow up? What did you think a dog would be like? Making you breakfast and writing you sonnets? Like I said to one of your staunch defenders, if you abandon a creature that depends on you, or because you'd rather be doing something else, you're a weak deadbeat.

• Advertisement

Me grow up? What did you think a dog would be like? Making you breakfast and writing you sonnets? Like I said to one of your staunch defenders, if you abandon a creature that depends on you, or because you'd rather be doing something else, you're a weak deadbeat.

A creature eh? One of the family eh?
    The creatures sleep in the sunroom round here.

A creature eh? One of the family eh?
    The creatures sleep in the sunroom round here.

A creature is an animal excluding humans, which a dog would fall under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

That's harsh, what if the pet isn't working out and isn't what's best for the family? What happens then?

People are allowed to put themselves and their children before a pet. Sometimes pets just don't work in families.

That's harsh, what if the pet isn't working out and isn't what's best for the family? What happens then?

People are allowed to put themselves and their children before a pet. Sometimes pets just don't work in families.

Once again, a pet is part of the family. If you don't have the compassion to see an animal as part of the family, you shouldn't be allowed to have children or a pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭milehip

anewme wrote: »
    No, you are wrong. You need to re read the thread.

You responded to Post 10 which was a response to Post 4, telling OP to abandon the dog at the kennel.

Post 4: I have a child, feel the same, just don’t go back to the kennels to collect the mutt and life will be better.

Post 10: Yeah no. Do not abandon your animal like this. Its just mean and cruel.

Don't care about post 4, I was quoting and responding to post 10.

Its Post 4 you should have quoted,good night.

Once again, a pet is part of the family. If you don't have the compassion to see an animal as part of the family, you shouldn't be allowed to have children or a pet.

Ideally yes, things normally start out that way but with all the good intentions in the world life changes or the pet just doesn't work with that family/set up.

I had a dog similar to BDI and it was heart breaking and massively stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,321 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've enough to be doing with three kids under six... Adding animals to that would push me over the edge. But if that's what you sign up to, then that's what you sign up to. Is there such a thing as rehoming/putting dogs up for adoption? Don't think just leaving it in a kennel is an act of decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I have pets myself and I love them like they are family, I love animals but can also understand the OP might be in a difficult situation with his dog.
    Sounds like he gave it a decent try and genuinly looks after the dog. It doesnt matter how much he may care, if its not the right fit then its never going to be.
    Would it not be better for the dog to go to a home thats more suitable rather than the OP holding on to him out of guilt and being miserable. I know people whove gotten dogs from a shelter and sent them back a couple of weeks later - obviously they didnt think it through or make adjustments for the animal and theyre at fault but sounds like the OP gave it a good try.
    The shelter is at fault too, they should be securing the right homes for dogs and not just giving any dog to anyone. The OP needs a placid dog that doesnt need too much attention, sounds like this dog should be in a much more active household with lots of people or other animals to play with.

Allot of animals go to second homes and live very happy lives, an awful lot of animals under the care of rescue services live with fosters until a suitable home is found - this wouldnt be happening if they thought changing homes caused allot of stress to dogs, once theyre loved and cared for, appropriately for their temperament, theyre happy and adjust to new surroundings.

Ideally yes, things normally start out that way but with all the good intentions in the world life changes or the pet just doesn't work with that family/set up.

I had a dog similar to BDI and it was heart breaking and massively stressful.

So is it justifiable to put a child up for adoption because it has autism? Surely that would change the dynamic of a family?

• Advertisement

So is it justifiable to put a child up for adoption because it has autism? Surely that would change the dynamic of a family?

Children and dogs are not the same.

Advertisement