Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I horrible...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

How exactly is it horrible for a dog that its owner enjoy a break?

Most dogs are terrified of kennels & do not cope well at all.

2 dogs live with us and neither will ever spend a minute in a kennel.

The op isn’t a bad person but unfortunately like most people, they didn’t research how much work actually goes into having a dog live with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

anewme wrote: »
    This is an insult to anyone with a family member in a nursing home.

People often need round the clock care that family members simply cannot give.

The decision for a family member to go to a nursing home is a heartbreaking one and any family facing this decision has my support and goodwill.

You start a lot of posts with “this is an insult to”

It’s never an insult to you but always offends you.

Office workers, building site workers, bus drivers, people with an unhealthy BMI, male babysitters,teachers, Irish people and now people who have family in nursing homes

Every day another row about somebody who you feel might get offended if they read this. What about all the people you argue with, you called me a liar and claimed you were Spartacus in the same sentence yesterday. When I proved I wasn’t lying and asked for an apology you just ignored me and moved onto another thread, another day another arguement.

You arnt Spartacus. I’m 100 per cent sure of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My dog is gone away for his christmas holidays (a week in the kennels)..

With him gone, I went to bed last night without walking in the cold to clean up a sh1te, my house smells fresh, i got up this morning and had breakfast without looking after him first and don’t have him under my feet for the day! Life is sweet!!

I love him (i think..) but with him gone, I’m realising how much of a clown he is and how stress free life could be without him..

Anyone been in this situation before? I

My dog died on Sunday. He was messy, annoying at times and incontinent in his later years but I would put up with all that just to have him back for one more day. I'm sure you love your dog but appreciate him while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭coolbeans

With him gone, I went to bed last night without walking in the cold to clean up a sh1te, my house smells fresh, i got up this morning and had breakfast without looking after him first and don’t have him under my feet for the day! Life is sweet!!

I love him (i think..) but with him gone, I’m realising how much of a clown he is and how stress free life could be without him..

Maybe train your dog better. It shouldn't be ****ting in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭anewme

BDI wrote: »
    You start a lot of posts with “this is an insult to”

It’s never an insult to you but always offends you.

Office workers, building site workers, bus drivers, people with an unhealthy BMI, male babysitters,teachers, Irish people and now people who have family in nursing homes

Every day another row about somebody who you feel might get offended if they read this. What about all the people you argue with, you called me a liar and claimed you were Spartacus in the same sentence yesterday. When I proved I wasn’t lying and asked for an apology you just ignored me and moved onto another thread, another day another arguement.

You arnt Spartacus. I’m 100 per cent sure of it.

I think the moderator told you yesterday to calm down?

You flounced off the thread about male babysitters in a dreadful huff because you did not like the feedback. It’s there in black and white for anyone who wants to read it. You demanded an apology and others said it’s you who should apologise.

It would be better if you could keep to the topic at hand instead of trying to get personal digs at others.

It was another poster in the same thread who said your comments were an insult to people working in building sites as many of them are caring fathers. If in fact you go back to the thread, even the last posts today take issue with your attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Not sure what the law is here but in the UK it is legal to eat your own dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

This is an insult to anyone with a family member in a nursing home.

People often need round the clock care that family members simply cannot give.

The decision for a family member to go to a nursing home is a heartbreaking one and any family facing this decision has my support and goodwill.

I think he's referring to the fact that, unfortunately, some old people are dumped in nursing homes and left to rot by their children because "they are too much hassle" - not saying it's the same in all cases but it does happen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Can you offer him for scientific experimentation? There is often a shortage of live subjects. It would be for the greater good as well as your own personal good

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just for clarity, hes only in the kennels because we’ve a lot of overnights/time out of the house over christmas - not because he’s hard work...which he is.. However, him being there has made me realise how easy life could be and I’m wondering why do I give myself the hardship for no return.

I run a business, have kids and a lot of other responsibilities in life. I’m questioning why I purposely give myself this extra one.

Really ? I have to get up an hour early to walk my dog & I have to go out again every evening. He eats a lot, has expensive Vet insurance but he gives me way more than I give him.

Please rehome your dog. Wait until after the Christmas rush & give the rescue a decent donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

If you are looking to rehome him, I could probably take him. What weight is he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Beau Bennett

humans call it summer camp

Yester wrote: »
    If you are looking to rehome him, I could probably take him. What weight is he?

What has his weight got to do with rehoming him ?

Oh you're joking about eating him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wait to your kids spend a night away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That dog deserves so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Your first mistake was letting the dog inside the house. Dogs are for outside.

bfa1509 wrote: »

If you want something for your garden, get a Garden Gnome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

bfa1509 wrote: »

Thats terrible, dogs are not for outside. If your household isnt suitable to keep a dog, dont get one or give it to someone who can take care of it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭milehip

Yeah no. Do not abandon your animal like this. Its just mean and cruel.

The dog was left at a kennel,not a SuperValu carpark,hardly abandonment.

milehip wrote: »
    The dog was left at a kennel,not a SuperValu carpark,hardly abandonment.

Dumping a dog anywhere, is just cowardly.

Pure sleeveen behaviour to abandon a dog in kennels and not pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I don't expect everyone to love animals like I do, I personally have no time for children but I would never in any way harm one or neglect one. I know enough to not have kids, some people should no when to not have pets.

• Advertisement

What should you do with a dog some rescue worker tricked you into taking. Say it has a rash that costs a fortune or it just keeps barking whenever anybody comes near the door and wrecking the general buzz in the house?

Where should one go with a defective dog? You honestly expect people to ruin their life over a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

OP you're very honest.

Having a dog can be hard work. We have one and he needs to be looked after. Walked everyday...I take care of this and it's good for me too so I don't mind.

We occassionally have to avail of the kennel when we're away from home. First kennel he didn't like at all and was fretful We looked for a new kennel and luckily the one we use now is great for the dog. He loves it there, runs in to get to the owner and the other dogs.

No problem having a break just make sure that your dog is content with the kennel you choose.

What should you do with a dog some rescue worker tricked you into taking. Say it has a rash that costs a fortune or it just keeps barking whenever anybody comes near the door and wrecking the general buzz in the house?

Where should one go with a defective dog? You honestly expect people to ruin their life over a dog?

Defective dog? Just take it back to the rescue & they be relieved. They will also conduct an enquiry as to how they allowed it to go to a total arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I think the OP was just giving their honest experience, I wouldn't judge anyone for that and I'm sure many pet owners would agree with the OP sentiments (even if they won't admit it) .

OP if you feel the dog is a burden then you should really think about rehoming.

I don't have a dog myself currently but have in the past. The commitment is huge and I'm not ready to go there again.

Instead I foster from local shelter a few times a year, it suits me and is for a limited duration (depending on the dogs needs) at no financial cost to me (all food/vet fees are covered by shelter).

The kids get to experience having animals around without the responsibility of being pet owners.
    And that responsibility is huge, sometimes I honestly don't know why people do it to themselves really.

Rehoming a dog that you do not enjoy having around is better than some of the alternatives.

A couple of neighbours around me the novelty wore off very quickly and now the poor dogs are lumbered with lazy owners. Rehoming is better sometimes.

Rescue workers are not in the habit of “tricking ” people. They work too hard for that. Their priority is to get a happy fit for dog and family.

The rules of accepting a rescue dog is that it is returned to the rescue if it does not work out. Then then work to get the right home.

Dog was not dumped,that was the basis tenet of my post.

Don't recall reading that the op wasn't going to pick their dog up.

No idea why you quoted me tbh.

Discodog wrote: »
    Defective dog? Just take it back to the rescue & they be relieved. They will also conduct an enquiry as to how they allowed it to go to a total arse.

I had a dog before. Nightmare. Used to poop everywhere. Kept him for two years tried everything. Spent the day barking like a lunatic whenever anybody came near or past the house.

When the bell rang the whole house turned into chaos. My wife was caring for a sick elder relative and it was really hard on that relative just wanting to die in peace.The dog used to crap in his dog bowl. Totally defective. Attacked all other dogs, got snappy with the kids. Nothing could be done to help it.

I gave it to an absolute dog lover who knew it all and they gave it back to me a few days later with an apology. Another family took it and they also gave it back a couple of days later.

He went the kennel. I realised after he went back how much strain it was putting on my whole family. I was later talking to the dogs mother’s owner and they told me she was inbred and had all sorts of ear problems.

Defective dog. Call me names all you want, I didn’t owe that dog the use of my house and life because I took it home with me one day thinking if I walked it twice a day and fed it it might play with the kids and behave himself.

milehip wrote: »
    Dog was not dumped,that was the basis tenet of my post.

Don't recall reading that the op wasn't going to pick their dog up.

No idea why you quoted me tbh.

You quoted a poster who responded to a post advising OP to just leave the dog at the kennel and not pick it up.

The dog should not just be left at the kennel.

You quoted a poster who responded to a post advising OP to just leave the dog at the kennel and not pick it up.

The dog should not just be left at the kennel.

You're wrong, reread the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Why would you send your dog to the kennels for xmas? If your home I dont understand why the need to send your dog away? Mine drives me mad at times but he's always home unless we are away or having some work done in the house that means he wouldn't be safe. Life would be easier without a lot of things going on.

Advertisement