Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I horrible...

Options
  • 27-12-2019 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

My dog is gone away for his christmas holidays (a week in the kennels)..

With him gone, I went to bed last night without walking in the cold to clean up a sh1te, my house smells fresh, i got up this morning and had breakfast without looking after him first and don’t have him under my feet for the day! Life is sweet!!

I love him (i think..) but with him gone, I’m realising how much of a clown he is and how stress free life could be without him..

Anyone been in this situation before? I

Comments

All Dogs Go To Heaven. Get the Disney DVD.

Or buy a Nintendo Switch and get the game 'Nintendogs';

Don't worry OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

With him gone, I went to bed last night without walking in the cold to clean up a sh1te, my house smells fresh, i got up this morning and had breakfast without looking after him first and don’t have him under my feet for the day! Life is sweet!!

I love him (i think..) but with him gone, I’m realising how much of a clown he is and how stress free life could be without him..

We did the same for the past few years. Can I ask how old your dog is ? As the years go on I noticed ours calming down a lot and being easier to have around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I have a child, feel the same, just don’t go back to the kennels to collect the mutt and life will be better

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

D3V!L wrote: »
    We did the same for the past few years. Can I ask how old your dog is ? As the years go on I noticed ours calming down a lot and being easier to have around.

Thanks, He’s 2. How about you?

I have kids, they’re hard but at least you get rewarded with nice moments. This dog just annoys me now that I think about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

How does that saying go?

Dogs aren't for Christmas.

Oh wait....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭poeticjustice

He deserves better

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

He deserves better

I agree

He deserves better

Nonsense. Everyone appreciates a break from everything and everyone. Some time away from responsibility is nice and it makes you think like OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,357 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I have a child, feel the same, just don’t go back to the kennels to collect the mutt and life will be better

Yeah no. Do not abandon your animal like this. Its just mean and cruel.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I would have thought the Xmas break would be a time for enjoying time at home with the pets, going for walks etc.

Maybe if you feel like this it's time to reconsider and get yourself a cat instead. They care even less about you than you do about them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I don’t see why people get themselves responsibilities they don’t need that offer no benefits.

Having a dog gives you stuff to do. Going for walks, cleaning up crap, having something scratching or making horrible slobbering noises when trying to get some quiet.

Swap the dog for a PlayStation OP. You won’t regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭anewme

If you care about the dog at all, rehome the dog in the New Year through Dogs Trust or DSPCA.

He/she is only two and has hopefully a long life ahead. It would be better spent with someone who does not shunt him off to Kennels for Christmas.

Must people look forward to Christmas to spend additional time with their family and pets, but you see the dog as a burden.

Pet ownership has a lot of responsibility and commitment attached. Not everyone is suited to it. It’s clearly not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I wouldn't say you are horrible, but I think it's horrible for the dog.

I wouldn't say you are horrible, but I think it's horrible for the dog.

How exactly is it horrible for a dog that its owner enjoy a break?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yeah you're horrible and your dog deserves better. Why did you get one in the first place.Did you think it would clean up after itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

You just need to put a bit of work in with the dog, lay down some ground rules and do a bit of training when you pick him up from the kennel. Constant and consistent reinforcement of the rules. At 2 years old your dog should not be pooing inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Dogs become hugely attached to their owners, a week in a kennel and the dogs heart will break and break with every minute.

Dogs dont need as much looking after as people think, I lost my 14year old lab in October and I know for a fact he'd cry for a a week if in kennels.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Horrible for the dog because he's been taken out of his home and away from his family and he doesn't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This dog just annoys me now that I think about it..

New home needed for the dog definitely. Resentment is not good.

Oh and don’t get a cat either. There need work too.

Some ppl just not suited to having pets.

anewme wrote: »
    Oh and don’t get a cat either. They need work too.

I called in sick for two days when I got a kitten. I just couldn't leave him. I work in a bloody jail and I'm calling in sick for a little ball of fluff yelping :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,950 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Omackeral wrote: »
    I called in sick for two days when I got a kitten. I just couldn't leave him. I work in a bloody jail and I'm calling in sick for a little ball of fluff yelping :o

Did you not need to provide a doctors note to say you were sick?

How does the system work?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I think you should give the dog up to the SPCA or an organisation of that kind OP

If you realised you don't really want the dog then it's the best thing to do all round - it won't be easy for the little fella but he's young and should be a viable candidate for rehoming

It'll be better than you keeping him and your resentment building which won't be good for either of you, it takes guts to realise you've made a mistake and it doesn't make you a horrible person as long you go about it the right way and the onus is on you to do what's best for him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Most places require a sick cert after three consecutive days off sick so he was probably fine with just the two

Took an uncertified sick day (no note required) and got the next day covered by a colleague that I worked a day back for. All gravy.

The system works by working the system :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you think having a dog is hard enough work to have to send him away to kennels maybe dog ownership isn't for you.

I've two mutts, and yes they can be hard work. One one of the esp hard work, she ticks all the boxes for autism in dogs (don't laugh!).. She's very hard work, is overly sensitive to sounds, light, new people or dogs, has repetitive behavior that can drive you nuts (like walking around and around the coffee table all night, won't go past the hall door and I have to carry her outside to go the toilet.. There's loads I could write on her.

But when I got her 12 yrs ago I took on all the responsibility which comes with dog ownership. My only respite from her is when the Vet gives her valium, it calms her for a few weeks but then she has to come off it for awhile.

The other lad is great but has a skin condition which costs me €55 a month, again a responsibility I took on when I rescued him.

If you have your doubts that you love him maybe think of finding someone who'll love him unconditionally.

Oh, to answer your question.. I don't think you're a bad person, I just think maybe you're not great with dogs and responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Well op, considering you asked the question, imho, yes you are horrible. Why don't you put your poor unwanted dog up for rehoming? He could have spent Christmas with a family who actually loved him, instead of in kennels. And it won't matter to him if the place he's staying in is a 5* doggy hotel. :(

I've two mutts, and yes they can be hard work. One one of them esp hard work, she ticks all the boxes for autism in dogs (don't laugh!)..

Same as that, I've two kitties. I'm convinced one of them has Catspergers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think the OP is just being honest and a lot of dog owners feel the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,432 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Get some scented candles!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

The dog is oblivious to it being Christmas. If it's not horrible to send a dog to a kennels in Summer then it's not now, either.

Advertisement