Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I horrible...

Options

Comments

Dogs become hugely attached to their owners, a week in a kennel and the dogs heart will break and break with every minute.

Dogs dont need as much looking after as people think, I lost my 14year old lab in October and I know for a fact he'd cry for a a week if in kennels.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Horrible for the dog because he's been taken out of his home and away from his family and he doesn't know why.

Families with dogs don't go on holidays? I'm not sure how this is much different.. I grew up with dogs so I know what it is to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Acquiescence

My cat adds absolutely nothing to my life...

Except hair.

There. Is. Hair. Everywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Our youngest child looks after the dog on the weekend now, its great. The dog gets let out in the garden then back in and a scoop of food given all before the wife and I even get out of bed. She's a bit older now so has significantly calmed down from her earlier years and is now an irreplaceable member of the family. Our youngest would count her as a friend and calms her fears, brings the dog with in different areas of the house if she's wary of being alone.. Dogs have a lot of health benefits for people both physical and mental. Dogs can teach children responsibility too. And they're a great deterrent against robbers. If you stick it out and do some good training you will get a lot back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭Esse85

Arghus wrote: »
    I think the OP is just being honest and a lot of dog owners feel the same way.

Well the vast majority don't, the vast majority would consider their dog like family, and people don't just hand over a family member to someone else and say keep them, I've had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Families with dogs don't go on holidays? I'm not sure how this is much different.. I grew up with dogs so I know what it is to have one.

It's still crap for the dog. Doesn't matter where their family are going. For the record, I'm not calling the OP horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Esse85 wrote: »
    Well the vast majority don't, the vast majority would consider their dog like family, and people don't just hand over a family member to someone else and say keep them, I've had enough.

Fair enough, but everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Dogs become hugely attached to their owners, a week in a kennel and the dogs heart will break and break with every....

Willoo shtawp. We put our girl in for 2 days around New Years every year because the fireworks scare the living daylights out of her. Nice and quiet in the countryside where she is, way more relaxing for her.

She also goes in if we’re going on holiday somewhere during the year and comes home much better behaved and chilled out. Long walks, loads of playmates and underfloor hearing I would guess would be way better for her than 10 hrs+ each way in a car. Plus she’s probably only delighted to get a little holiday herself from our 3 yr old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Arghus wrote: »
    I think the OP is just being honest and a lot of dog owners feel the same way.

I always have the same "this is bliss" thoughts when my kid goes to a sleepover and i get an extra two hours in bed :pac:

And when I'm paying the cost of a second mortgage just for childcare i do think how much cheaper life would be without her. None of it means i actually want her gone though!

(I don't rehome her for a week or two at a time though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Dogless Day Afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I have to say when my dog goes to the groomers , I miss him so so much . Can’t wait for the couple of hours to be over so I can collect my best friend again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

If you think having a dog is hard enough work to have to send him away to kennels maybe dog ownership isn't for you.

I've two mutts, and yes they can be hard work. One one of the esp hard work, she ticks all the boxes for autism in dogs (don't laugh!).. She's very hard work, is overly sensitive to sounds, light, new people or dogs, has repetitive behavior that can drive you nuts (like walking around and around the coffee table all night, won't go past the hall door and I have to carry her outside to go the toilet.. There's loads I could write on her.

But when I got her 12 yrs ago I took on all the responsibility which comes with dog ownership. My only respite from her is when the Vet gives her valium, it calms her for a few weeks but then she has to come off it for awhile.

The other lad is great but has a skin condition which costs me €55 a month, again a responsibility I took on when I rescued him.

If you have your doubts that you love him maybe think of finding someone who'll love him unconditionally.

Oh, to answer your question.. I don't think you're a bad person, I just think maybe you're not great with dogs and responsibility.

Just for clarity, hes only in the kennels because we’ve a lot of overnights/time out of the house over christmas - not because he’s hard work...which he is.. However, him being there has made me realise how easy life could be and I’m wondering why do I give myself the hardship for no return.

I run a business, have kids and a lot of other responsibilities in life. I’m questioning why I purposely give myself this extra one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

If boards were to teach me anything alarm bells would be ringing like feck if having a rescue dog was mentioned on a first date.

It seems it gives people the right to judge and gather in packs and hiss.

Op do what you like if you need a break you need a break.

There would be less outrage if you sent your son to the Gaeltacht for the summer and they have people brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Do the kids like the dog? How would they feel about him being sent away to be rehomed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

You're not horrible OP just honest, and I wouldn't be listening to anyone here telling you otherwise.

Boards is a place of contrasting and divided opinions.

I call to an old friend who's been really good to me since my early teens he thought me how to fly-fish, trap rabbits and tickle trout etc

But the poor fella smells like piss now and lives in a mess, his house stinks like piss too, he doesn't want anyone to clean his mess because that would undermine his integrity.

That doesn't take from the fact I love the smelly old grouch, but I don't love the smell of piss.

I don't call to smell piss, I just call to have a cuppa and learn about paganism and being a wild man..

SOME DAY WE'LL ALL SMELL OF PISHHH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

My dog is gone away for his christmas holidays (a week in the kennels)..

With him gone, I went to bed last night without walking in the cold to clean up a sh1te, my house smells fresh, i got up this morning and had breakfast without looking after him first and don’t have him under my feet for the day! Life is sweet!!

I love him (i think..) but with him gone, I’m realising how much of a clown he is and how stress free life could be without him..

Anyone been in this situation before? I

If you don't want a dog, then you should notify the DSCPCA.

I can understand putting a dog in the kennels if vacationing, but doing so just to take a break from the dog is silly.

And rather than doing something meaningful with that break, you opt instead to write a meaningless thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Omackeral wrote: »
    Same as that, I've two kitties. I'm convinced one of them has Catspergers

I've a cat too, she's the boss of us all. I love cats, they're so funny. Mine cat is 15 yrs old and still carry's on like a kitten.. She drives me mad when she's waking me up at stupid o'clock in the morning wanting to play games :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Lillyfae wrote: »
    We put our girl
    She also
    Plus she’s probably only delighted to get a little holiday herself from our 3 yr old.

You have more affectionate terms for your dog than your child

mordeith wrote: »
    You have more affectionate terms for your dog than your child

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I love my 2 dogs ...I love them so much when the rare moment the Male dog bite one of my kids I smacked the kid ..... I trust the dog enough to know he didnt do it for the craic ...

I'm going on a family holiday in few weeks time , haven't been in years and I've organised a nice lady who grooms them to look after them ... I've had 2 members of my family ask me why I didnt ask them ...I told them it was because I didnt want to impose on them ...

What I really should have said was you can hardly wipe ye own asses never mind look after my fury friends... I just know they wouldn't get a walk, fed on time ... and just treated like assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I love my 2 dogs ...I love them so much when the rare moment the Male dog bite one of my kids I smacked the kid ..... I trust the dog enough to know he didnt do it for the craic ...

I'm going on a family holiday in few weeks time , haven't been in years and I've organised a nice lady who grooms them to look after them ... I've had 2 members of my family ask me why I didnt ask them ...I told them it was because I didnt want to impose on them ...

What I really should have said was you can hardly wipe ye own asses never mind look after my fury friends... I just know they wouldn't get a walk, fed on time ... and just treated like assholes.

This should be a lesson to all parents on how to deal with vicious dogs, oops I mean kids.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Just do whats best for the dog and you OP, find it a good home with people who will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

You need a cat, theyre very loving and affectionate and of course need lots of love and attention but theyre not as needy as dogs and spend the majority of the day keeping themselves busy and mostly sleeping. Youre not horrible but maybe a pet dog is just not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

My dog is gone away for his christmas holidays (a week in the kennels)..

With him gone, I went to bed last night without walking in the cold to clean up a sh1te, my house smells fresh, i got up this morning and had breakfast without looking after him first and don’t have him under my feet for the day! Life is sweet!!

I love him (i think..) but with him gone, I’m realising how much of a clown he is and how stress free life could be without him..

Anyone been in this situation before? I

Yes, you're horrible. You are way to immature to have a dog. The kids are ok, at least they will have the state to fall back on when you give up on them. There's no support system in place to look after dogs. Act now, fi d a good caring home for the dog and prepare the kids for their future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its you that is the asshole. Hitting a child that was bitten by a dog. Pity it didnt bite you in the balls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Lillyfae wrote: »
    And?

Case closed

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

One of my two dogs passed suddenly and unexpectedly in mid-November. My wife, 4 year old son, and our other dog are still upset about it. I’m still heart broken. I read your post OP and I just hope you’re trolling tbh.

mordeith wrote: »
    Case closed

FWIW, it was a case of not wanting to be identifiable here.

In any case, you clearly don’t have a pet, or a child, or a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Esse85 wrote: »

I think you're forgetting about nursing homes..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

You are a terrible person...

When my dog became quite ill I took a week "sick leave" from work to keep an eye on her. I NEVER see them as a burden...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭anewme

crybaby wrote: »
    I think you're forgetting about nursing homes..

This is an insult to anyone with a family member in a nursing home.

People often need round the clock care that family members simply cannot give.

The decision for a family member to go to a nursing home is a heartbreaking one and any family facing this decision has my support and goodwill.

Advertisement