Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syrian refugee student wins state scholarship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭1641

I had thought it might not be impossible for them to have an alternate entry route for disadvantaged schools (which could easily be as equally valid a route as CAO even if you didn't need quite as many points). The same way that Trinity has it's access program.

The RSCI have an access route offering reduced points access to medicine under three different categories with about two places each. Applications still go through the CAO with presumably supplementary details to the College (details on website).

Anyway the access routes are - students from a traveller background, students from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background, and students with a disability. I haven't seen anything to suggest relevance on this situation.

You've come off pretty triggered at times. It doesn't matter, you still contribute to this thread. I wish you would tone down the emotional timbre to your posts and stop trying to decry criticism for the sake of it being criticism (which is actually really meta when you think about it). This doesn't undermine the factual elements of your posts, but it is an unfortunate addition to them. Like anchovies on pizza.

I love anchovies on pizza!

I hope it wasn't in relation to criticism but all sorts of speculations without evidence. Anyway, point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

1641 wrote: »
    The RSCI have an access route offering reduced points access to medicine under three different categories with about two places each. Applications still go through the CAO with presumably supplementary details to the College (details on website).

Anyway the access routes are - students from a traveller background, students from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background, and students with a disability. I haven't seen anything to suggest relevance on this situation.

Ok, so in theory she could have gotten accepted on less points than standard entry based on the middle category. That's fair enough.

And to be clear, even if she did go that route, I do not personally think that she shouldn't have been granted entry. Those type of disadvantaged access programs are very much needed. The person who can come from one of those and still be very competitive is probably naturally more intelligent that the average student coming out of fancy private schools with 580 points or whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭jmreire

recedite wrote: »
    Maybe, but they have regained control over most of the country now, including many of the oil wells. I'm not sure what proportion of them exactly, but "many" of them.
    So you still favour our economic sanctions against Syria, or not?

Sorry to interrupt, I was back tracking a bit, and I have just one question for recedite, wont take a minute:-
    Just a thought recedite, as you are interested in the effect's of the sanctions on Syria. What's your opinion on when the sanctions on Iran were removed when they signed the agreement not to continue on the nuclear bomb path? What was the benefit to the ordinary Iranian's as a result of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

eviltwin wrote:
    Why would they be? The college doesn't just take any recipient. The person still have to meet their entry requirements. I think we can assume she's got the smarts to study medicine

But can we, can we really...this is probably more proof that the great replacement is in fact true, and there is a global conspiracy (run by the unnamed Jews) to destroy good Christian Catholic Outland and defile it's women and children with Muslims... This is all the proof we need

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Alastair contends that Wibb's assessment that the Middle Eastern countries have not exactly played a part that would be expected of them in the management of the Syrian Civil War.

Wibbs says that there are a few exceptions, such as Jordan and Turkey.

Alastair says that Wibbs is wrong.

Let's have a look

1024px-Syrian_refugees_in_the_Middle_East_map_en.svg.png

As we can see, the number of refugees taken by anybody but her immediate neighbors is distinctly in the red (with the exception of Egypt). That is, that that absolutely massive landmass, to the south east of the map, has taken in distinctly zero refugees. This one one of the reasons I earlier queried the UAE origin of the girl's family (which has now been clarified).

I hope that Jordan and Lebannon have received some support from the West for the work they are doing in housing the number of refugees they are doing. Turkey is currently weaponizing its refugees and is definitely getting money for not using them as an 'invasion force' to quote Erdogan.
    I disagree with your graphic because the Gulf States have in fact taken in a huge number of Syrian refugees, they just didn't call them "asylum seekers". They gave them work visas, jobs and residency status.
    This is central to the points I have been making. Those refugees are still refugees in the sanse that they may not feel safe to return to Syria. Or they may have no intention of ever returning, because they are enjoying the Dubai lifestyle. These refugees don't feature in "asylum seeker" statistics because they are labelled "migrant workers".

If somebody who is already classified as a migrant worker in Dubai sends his wife and daughter to Ireland to set up a second home here, there is a definitely a question in my mind as to whether they are genuine asylum seekers. Because they are not fleeing a war situation.

If the guy was working as an engineer in Dubai then he must have been earning in the region of 16,900 Dirhams per month, which is €50,000 a year tax free. Considering our 40% tax rate and PRSI, USC, property tax and all the rest, that's equivalent to an Irish person here on a salary of closer to double that ; €100,000.

So meanwhile, the low wage taxpaying mugs here are paying for the wife and daughter to serve their time in a DP centre, which will eventually get them a free house here, and a free education in a private medical school (and don't forget RCSI operates the same course in Dubai anyway, conveniently in the arabic language, but it costs big bucks)

Was the amount of cash in the UAE savings account disclosed when they were applying for the free housing and the education grants? Was it fcuk.

Overheal wrote: »
    I would think that it's not particularly safe for the persons to return to their home state, that would make them refugees. It doesn't matter so much where they go from there. An Iranian political refugee would still be a refugee of Iran whether they were wealthy about it or not
    Well, this is where we have to be precise in our language. that person may be a refiugee all their lives. their kids and their grandkids may also consider themselves to be refugees in some sense (I mentioned UNRA earlier, and how refugeeness can be passed down through the male line)
    However, I don't consider that person and all their descendants to be genuine asylum seekers. Asylum is for people who are stuck, and have nowhere else to go.

I think you miss the point (perhaps deliberately). If they did not have any permanent status in the UAE, and no mechanism to request it there, they would be entitled to claim it somewhere else
    As above, I don't accept that. If a person already has a home set up in UAE and a well paid job there, I don't accept that they are a genuine asylum seeker if they decide to move here in order to avail of a free education, free housing and an EU passport.

jmreire wrote: »
    Sorry to interrupt, I was back tracking a bit, and I have just one question for recedite, wont take a minute:-
    Just a thought recedite, as you are interested in the effect's of the sanctions on Syria. What's your opinion on when the sanctions on Iran were removed when they signed the agreement not to continue on the nuclear bomb path? What was the benefit to the ordinary Iranian's as a result of that?
    The ordinary Iranian benefited then, but is being punished again now, due to the reintroduction of sanctions by Trump, who believes (probably correctly) that they are still trying to develop nukes.
    Its always a "greater good" type of argument. If regime change can achieve some greater good, then maybe sanctions are justified. However, if regime change is not going to work, then that argument tends to evaporate.
    Some countries in the middle east have proved immune to western inspired regime change, primarily because they had the good sense to build solid alliances with Russia. Syria and Iran fall into this category.
    Other countries have perished because they did not build those alliances; Iraq and Libya.

Even the "greater good" argument is suspect. If Iran becomes a nuclear power, a full blown nuclear war with Israel becomes a distinct possibility.
    On the other hand, we in Ireland would mostly survive it. And anyway, neuturing Iran does not prevent a nuclear war involving Pakistan, India or North Korea.
    Regime change in Syria is mainly about whether the future oil and gas pipelines to the Med coast come from the northeast direction (favoured by Russia and Iran) or from the southeast (favoured by the Gulf states and USA)
    It makes no difference to me personally, either way.

My main objection to our sanctions against Syria is that it hurts ordinary people while having no chance of success; Assad has already won the war, anyone can see that.
    Secondly I think it is hypocritical of us to feign concern about Syrian refugees, while punishing them needlessly if they stay at home.

So meanwhile, the low wage taxpaying mugs here are paying for the wife and daughter to serve their time in a DP centre, which will eventually get them a free house here, and a free education in a private medical school (and don't forget RCSI operates the same course in Dubai anyway, conveniently in the arabic language, but it costs big bucks)

Was the amount of cash in the UAE savings account disclosed when they were applying for the free housing and the education grants? Was it fcuk.

As above, I don't accept that. If a person already has a home set up in UAE and a well paid job there, I don't accept that they are a genuine asylum seeker if they decide to move here in order to avail of a free education, free housing and an EU passport.

Curious that you seem to know so much about these people but most of us we don't. Could you provide some sources?

The media reports refer to the Campbell Bursary but not anything about the SUSI grants. Did she qualify for these too? Otherwise she would have to pay the €3,900 per year that other Irish and EU nationals pay.
    Also, you report that the family have received free housing after direct provision. Maybe so, but I haven't seen it reported - can you link?
    You seem to have a big issue with her attending RCSI as a "private medical school". What is this about? Would you have been fine with it of she had been attending Trinity or UCD? They all come under the Higher Education Authority and fees are equivalent for Irish/EU applicants (https://hea.ie/higher-education-institutions/?v=l ). Many graduates of RCSI are staffing our hospitals, not only in medicine but also pharmacy, physiotherapy, etc.

Anyway, I have no problem with any of the above as long as she qualified correctly. You seem to suggest that you have evidence of fraud in the applications and, if so, you should certainly bring it to the attention of the relevant authorities.

She does seem to be a very capable person who will be a great asset. There was a nice tribute to her from her school principal which you may find heart-warming on this cold Sunday afternoon !

"Principal at Mountmellick CS Larry Curtin said he and his staff are all thrilled for Suaad.
    "Suaad had outstanding Leaving Cert results and I have spoken to her then and now to congratulate her. We are absolutely thrilled for her. Not only is she an incredibly hard worker but she was a very engaging student, with a pleasing personality always with a smile on her face when you met her in the corridor. It is reassuring to see someone with those personal attributes as well as the academic ability going into medicine. We are delighted to see her progress and wish her well," he said."

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

McHardcore wrote: »
    You are making assumptions and claiming them as fact. Do you understand the difference of what is being explained by both me and many other posters to you in this thread?
    Nonsense. What exactly are you referring to? The exact quote please.

Sure! It looks like 1641 has summarised some of them already and is still waiting for your response.

Below is a sample of some of the rubbish, slurs, innuendoes and falsehoods that you have been posting. All the relevant information regarding points for RCSI, interviews (non-existent), criteria for the bursary, when the bursary was first announced, etc. were either posted on the thread or were easily found by google search if you had been in the least bit interested in the "facts".

As well as questioning her academically, implying some kind of stitch up, you have been trying to double guess her asylum eligibility on the basis of nothing that isn't available to the asylum assessment system or on the basis of things that are irrelevant to political asylum. Why so desperate?

The family have certainly played the system here for all it was worth, and been incredibly successful at it.
    Did we ever see her actual Leaving Cert grades?
    I mean before applying any bonus points for the HPAT and for being a disadvantaged asylum seeker and/or attending a Deis school, and disregarding the RCSI interview which obviously went very well. Of course this is also great publicity RCSI
    Just the bare exam results. The newspaper article said she did very well in 2 subjects
    The issue is that they fled to Ireland when they saw the fees for RCSI Dubai.
    How many bonus points does somebody like that get in the CAO system, for being an asylum seeker?
    a €5000 per year salary being this new government Campbell Bursary. Which only seems to be available to certain people attending Deis schools. They girl didn't attend the nearest secondary school, she specifically went to a Deis school instead
    I'd still like to know how many points she got in the LC exam, pure and simple. The school website is not including HPAT points, but may be including other bonus points.
    Back when I did the LC exam, some people were getting bonus points for doing the exams through Irish. Now they seem to be getting them for being asylum seekers, itinerants, or just raving queers.
    The answer is No. We know that because the father decided not to leave his well paid job while the mother and daughter were off to Ireland, putting on the poor mouth.
    I wonder if the asylum office were even aware of his existence, or did the pair present as a vulnerable war widow with a child.

That's typical alright. No facts, no citations.

A case of hypocritical projection perhaps? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

A similar singular story would be that I met a largely illiterate Syrian lad in his late 20's at the local corner shop signalling for me to buy him a box of eggs.

Thanks for reminding me again of your Syrian eggs story. I got a great laugh out of that. To anyone else who missed it, il post it below.

Are you claiming then they're skilled with good literacy?

It's not outlandish to presume most may need basic literacy and language training.

Most likely aren't Syrians anyway, even then not sure if they're anywhere close to fluent. Met a poor Syrian lad in the corner shop pointing to a packet of eggs last year, took 10mins to work out he wanted some eggs bought, no problem he looked underfed so handed them to him outside. Better a packet of eggs than a shandy anyway.
    Allinall wrote: »
    Fellow points at some eggs and it took 10 minutes to work out what he wanted?

What did they think he wanted? Washing powder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Seems not a single person has been able to anwser my simple singular question from yesterday, so here it is again:

Is there any reason why there has been hardly any Syrian refugees in recent months to Ireland?
    it's almost as if others (from fairly peaceful countries) are taking their places.
    I.e. Possibly taking advantge of the system intended only to help the most destitute

On average they (Syrians) would probably be the 'most in need' right about now, considering their country.
    The young (such as this student) would be the ideal candidates, as they can integrate quickest with the free daily language support classes while at school.

Yet there's hardly any this year, how so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Wanderer78 wrote:
    Some irish people are just fcuking weird, outraged over a foreign girl getting a scholarship, fcuking hell!

Bitter personal failures all.

Curious that you seem to know so much about these people but most of us we don't. Could you provide some sources?

The media reports refer to the Campbell Bursary but not anything about the SUSI grants. Did she qualify for these too?
    As you well know, I don't have access to their personal info, nor do I claim to. I am going by publicly available general info, and applying that to the scenario.
    It was reported that one or both parents were engineers working in UAE.
    I linked to the base level salary of €50,000 for an engineer in Dubai.

It was reported that they went to Monaghan. Here is free housing in Monaghan reserved for Syrian asylum seekers, so they would not have to wait on the housing list like any Irish person.

Here is the info on SUSI eligibility.

BTW whats the purpose of that long list of my quotes you assembled earlier? Is it a list of all the good points which I made, and you don't like?

She does seem to be a very capable person who will be a great asset. There was a nice tribute to her from her school principal which you may find heart-warming...
    There is no denying that they are a very capable family.

BTW, who do you think she will become a great asset to - Ireland? The HSE?
    Bearing in mind the number of young Irish medical graduates who have gone to Dubai, how much more tempting will it be for someone who is fluent in Arabic, who is an ethnic Arab immersed in Arab culture, has spent part of her childhood there, and already practices the religion which informs most of their state laws?

BTW I bear no malice to the girl or her parents. Life dealt them a bad hand when their country imploded, but they were clever and ambitious enough to turn it around by taking themselves and their savings to UAE. Having set up home there for a few years, they must have spotted the long term benefits of free education, and the reassurance and mobility that EU passports would give to themselves and their descendants. All that would be available to them if they could endure life in Monaghan for a short while. Well two of them had to endure it anyway, the dad wasn't going to give up his well paid job in Dubai, just in case it didn't work out. As stated by the girl herself, it was the worst time of her life. Worth it though.

If I am annoyed, then it is because our system can be exploited so easily, and because our government is taking tax money from me and my family, and handing it to a foreigner and his family, even though the guy is wealthier than me.
    But if I was in his place, I would probably do the same as he has done, so for that reason, I bear him no personal malice.

Seems not a single person has been able to anwser my simple singular question from yesterday, so here it is again:

Is there any reason why there has been hardly any Syrian refugees in recent months to Ireland?
    it's almost as if others (from fairly peaceful countries) are taking their places.
    I.e. Possibly taking advantge of the system intended only to help the most destitute

On average they (Syrians) would probably be the 'most in need' right about now, considering their country.
    The young (such as this student) would be the ideal candidates, as they can integrate quickest with the free daily language support classes while at school.

Yet there's hardly any this year, how so?
    I posted a link a while back showing traffic jams at the Syrian border. IS has been defeated and the war is virtually over, even though there is still some occupied Syrian territory to be sorted around the Turkish and Iraqi borders. Many Syrians are returning home. Many others will never go back, because they are doing so well abroad. Nobody who stayed through the war is going to leave now.

Here is SUSI info specific to asylum seekers.
    The period young people in the direct provision system must spend in the Irish education system to qualifty for a grant to study at third level has been reduced from five years to three years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I posted a link a while back showing traffic jams at the Syrian border. IS has been defeated and the war is virtually over, even though there is still some occupied Syrian territory to be sorted around the Turkish and Iraqi borders. Many Syrians are returning home. Many others will never go back, because they are doing so well abroad. Nobody who stayed through the war is going to leave now.
    Perhaps so, considering they barely register so far this year on applications for IPO compared to last year, you'd almost assume the total number of applications would be going down (it isn't).

fl8tYiK.png

In light of this, whilst uncertain one could take a guess that the 70, 40 or so men (nationalities not disclosed), oh sorry, '13 women' who were headed to Achill would have been very unlikely to have been Syrians at all if they arrived or were due to arrive during 2019.

You still haven't grasped the concept that you don't have to be poor and uneducated to claim asylum.
    If I am annoyed, then it is because our system can be exploited so easily, and because our government is taking tax money from me and my family, and handing it to a foreigner and his family, even though the guy is wealthier than me.
    But if I was in his place, I would probably do the same as he has done, so for that reason, I bear him no personal malice.

Would you be as equally annoyed if an American executive of Facebook moved here 10 years ago and their kid won a scholarship?

As you well know, I don't have access to their personal info, nor do I claim to. I am going by publicly available general info, and applying that to the scenario.

It was reported that they went to Monaghan. Here is free housing in Monaghan reserved for Syrian asylum seekers, so they would not have to wait on the housing list like any Irish person.

Here is the info on SUSI eligibility.

BTW whats the purpose of that long list of my quotes you assembled earlier? Is it a list of all the good points which I made, and you don't like?

Thank you for confirming that once more the information you presented as facts are no more then your opinion and/or supposition.

The link to SUSI merely confirms that an 18 year old girl will be assessed as a full family dependent, on the basis of her parents means. If they are as well off as you assert would present achallenge in terms of the means test. Yet you have several times stated that they would be availing of free fees. You clearly do not know this.
    The media reports indicate that they were assigned to direct provision in Monaghan but once their asylum status was approved they moved to Portlaoise. Again you have asserted they were provided with free housing there but you have failed to back this up.

If they qualify for certain things they qualify. If they don't they don't. All we know is that they were granted asylum status and that the girl was the winner of the Campbell bursary. Anything else is just supposition on your part.

Here is SUSI info specific to asylum seekers.

That only shows that they must have spent a minimum of three years in the Irish education system. They still have to pass the means test.
    https://www.irishrefugeecouncil.ie/children-and-young-people/susi-grants-info

You still haven't grasped the concept that you don't have to be poor and uneducated to claim asylum.

Talk about Catch-22.

On the one hand it is "we don't want these poor and uneducated coming in here" and then it is that "they are too well off and too educated".

• Advertisement

Would you be as equally annoyed if an American executive of Facebook moved here 10 years ago and their kid won a scholarship?
    Is that guy claiming free housing and free education here?
    I've no problem with the American executive of Facebook (or Indian or Syrian) because he is paying tax towards the education system in this country, and he is paying for his own accommodation instead of asking me to pay for it.

I actually find it incredible that you think the hard pressed Irish taxpayer not only owes the whole world a living, but is liable to pay the bills for people working in far wealthier parts of the world. Places that are so wealthy they don't even have to collect tax from their residents.

Talk about Catch-22.

On the one hand it is "we don't want these poor and uneducated coming in here" and then it is that "they are too well off and too educated".
    The poor and uneducated are not much use as migrant workers when they are only here for the free stuff. If they are willing to work, that's not so bad, but they will still lower the wages of the equivalent Irish workers .

Those who are too well off and too educated, and have second homes in other countries are not worthy of our charity. They should apply for work visas instead. When they come here, they should pay their own way. They are not genuine asylum seekers.

Is that guy claiming free housing and free education here?
    I've no problem with the American executive of Facebook (or Indian or Syrian) because he is paying tax towards the education system in this country, and he is paying for his own accommodation instead of asking me to pay for it.
    Where is your evidence that the family here get free housing? All that has been reported is that they spent one year in DP. It was stated on here that the father remained working in the UAE during that time. It would have been retarded for him not to. You seem to have a problem that the man stayed working in UAE and you automatically assume that he is not working now? You are still equating asylum with social welfare.

And yes, the American Executive would get free education for his kids.
    I actually find it incredible that you think the hard pressed Irish taxpayer not only owes the whole world a living, but is liable to pay the bills for people working in far wealthier parts of the world. Places that are so wealthy they don't even have to collect tax from their residents.

I think there is a mechanism where you can report social welfare fraud. It's probably on the SW website. You can send them your evidence of all the above.

I'm going to give you three options. Can you rank them in your order of preference please? Because it is a little confusing what your issue is.
    1) Man is here with wife and child. Receiving dole because he is not working after qualifying for asylum status.
    2) Man is here with his wife and child and working after qualifying for asylum status.
    3) Man is in UAE working and his wife and child are here having qualified for asylum status.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

and I don't think youre grasping that there wasn't a need for them to claim asylum here as the UAE is safe and they were not fleeing war or persecution.

and I don't think youre grasping that there wasn't a need for them to claim asylum here as the UAE is safe and they were not fleeing war or persecution.

You are wrong. There was certainly a need for them to claim asylum. They would have only had temporary status in UAE who were not accepting refugees. They were at the mercy of the UAE who could have decided to kick them out and leave them no choice but to go back to Syria at any stage.

That they were entitled/justified to claim asylum is clear. If you want to argue that they should not have been allowed to pick Ireland to claim it in then that is a different matter.

Where is your evidence that the family here get free housing? All that has been reported is that they spent one year in DP. It was stated on here that the father remained working in the UAE during that time.
    How much did the engineer pay towards the cost of keeping his wife and daughter in DP (all food, accommodation and medical needs as provided) during that time?

I'm going to give you three options. Can you rank them in your order of preference please? Because it is a little confusing what your issue is.
    1) Man is here with wife and child. Receiving dole because he is not working after qualifying for asylum status.
    2) Man is here with his wife and child and working after qualifying for asylum status.
    3) Man is in UAE working and his wife and child are here having qualified for asylum status.
    Which one is true? I prefer the truth.
    1) would have been possible, but that's not what was reported. It was reported he remained working in UAE.
    2) Not legally possible, as asylum seekers were not allowed to work at the time.
    3) Sounds like a fraudulent asylum application to me, because they have a home and a job in UAE.

You are wrong. There was certainly a need for them to claim asylum. They would have only had temporary status in UAE who were not accepting refugees.
    That's nonsense. They were refugees who were accepted into UAE, and had jobs and a home there, and were granted residency there.
    Just because they were not labelled as "asylum seekers" there does not mean they were in urgent need of international protection.
    When is an emergency not an emergency?

Which one is true? I prefer the truth.
    1) would have been possible, but that's not what was reported. It was reported he remained working in UAE.
    2) Not legally possible, as asylum seekers were not allowed to work at the time.
    3) Sounds like a fraudulent asylum application to me, because they have a home and a job in UAE.

1) They were hypothetical scenarios. I am sure you are familiar with the concept.

2). Asylum seekers are allowed to work after getting status. That is basic level information. They cannot work while their application is being processed. It happens that a lot of applications take years because of vague and inconsistent stories without evidence. Plus then multiple rounds of appeals. This family appear to have been processed quickly which indicates that they had their stuff in order.

3) No. You clearly aren't understanding. It has been explained to you many many times.
    Can you understand/answer the following scenario - Mary gets a J1 to go to New York for the Summer. Mary thinks that she can now live the rest of her life there - is she correct? Do you understand the difference between having a temporary visa and being a citizen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭jmreire

The ordinary Iranian benefited then, but is being punished again now, due to the reintroduction of sanctions by Trump, who believes (probably correctly) that they are still trying to develop nukes.
    Its always a "greater good" type of argument. If regime change can achieve some greater good, then maybe sanctions are justified. However, if regime change is not going to work, then that argument tends to evaporate.
    Some countries in the middle east have proved immune to western inspired regime change, primarily because they had the good sense to build solid alliances with Russia. Syria and Iran fall into this category.
    Other countries have perished because they did not build those alliances; Iraq and Libya.

Even the "greater good" argument is suspect. If Iran becomes a nuclear power, a full blown nuclear war with Israel becomes a distinct possibility.
    On the other hand, we in Ireland would mostly survive it. And anyway, neuturing Iran does not prevent a nuclear war involving Pakistan, India or North Korea.
    Regime change in Syria is mainly about whether the future oil and gas pipelines to the Med coast come from the northeast direction (favoured by Russia and Iran) or from the southeast (favoured by the Gulf states and USA)
    It makes no difference to me personally, either way.

My main objection to our sanctions against Syria is that it hurts ordinary people while having no chance of success; Assad has already won the war, anyone can see that.
    Secondly I think it is hypocritical of us to feign concern about Syrian refugees, while punishing them needlessly if they stay at home.

Ok, Iran first re sanction's. ( the other points about pipelines and Nuclear Weapon's, I'll leave for another time ) When the sanctions were in place, true, ordinary Iranians suffered. Then they were lifted, but...still made no difference to the ordinary Iranians. They still suffered as the additional money flowing into Iran was diverted into the Ayatollah's Military machine and used to spread Iranian influence throughout the region..Lebanon, Syria and Iraq. They see themselves as being the "King" player in the region. They have infiltrated every aspect of Iraq Life, and carry a lot of influence there. And of course their support for Assad is well known, as is their influence in Lebanon via Hezbollah. They are also engaged in a proxy war with Saudi Arabia, via Yemen. This kind of involvement is on a massive scale,in everything, and requires massive amount's of cash. So this is what happened ( and is still happening ) with the sanction's cash. In 2010, the election of Ahmadinejad triggered major protests against the fraudulent election results, This became known as the Green Movement, and it was ruthlessly suppressed. The protest's died out, but the anger remained, and in recent times is becoming more and more intense and forceful again. One of the triggers for this is what happened with the cash received when the sanctions ended. The population rightly are asking question's about why was it diverted away from the Iranian economy, and into "War" projects? At this very minute, Tehran is more than a little worried about the protests in Lebanon and Iraq,,,where the population is united in protesting against it's rulers...they have seen through the sham justification by their rulers that they are protecting them from the "Great Satan", and they now realize that their main problems are internal, with their rulers. Hence the wave of protests presently taking place. So, in this case I agree with the sanctions.
    Syria: Pretty much the same scenario....remove all the sanctions overnight, and who do you thing will benefit? The ordinary Syrians or the Regime?? Where will the greater good be?
    PS:-
    Don't believe all you can see in that You Tube video... I know I would not anyway..

Advertisement