Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syrian refugee student wins state scholarship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

they were living there temporarily. there is nothing to suggest they were offered permanent residency. Unless you know better?

In the case of Mr Ashleh,he appears to have been employed in Construction Engineering in Sharjah and Dubai continuously between 1998 and 2017.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Odhinn wrote: »
    "we" do,do we? You might have a source for that claim.

Yes we do and we know it well. The difference is that some of us support genuine refugees and would rather that genuine refugees living in camps in Jordan were receiving the money, not scam artists getting a free ride in Ireland. Some of us believe in helping genuine refugees and others just think that anyone who rocks up claiming asylum should be given a free pass and a free life. Those people would rather die than change their position.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

blueshade wrote: »
    I think that most people would be pleased to see a genuine Syrian refugee doing well in Ireland and excelling at school but that isn't what appears to be the case with this girl. It appears that she and her parents were working and living in UAE in perfect safety and that at some point a decision was taken that she and her mother would leave that safety and employment, come to Ireland and claim asylum while her father remained safely back home working for at least a year.

There are resettlement schemes for Syrians in Europe and Ireland so they shouldn't have been in DP if they were genuine, they would have qualified but it seems like they went into DP to avoid the Critical Work Visa system which would have meant they'd have been expected to pay their own way and provide for themselves like every other legal economic migrant. What bothers people isn't that she's Syrian or Brown or Muslim, it's that her parents are scam artists who managed to get a free ride and a free education for her here by playing the system.

What evidence do you have that they aren't genuine refugees?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

AlekSmart wrote: »
    In the case of Mr Ashleh,he appears to have been employed in Construction Engineering in Sharjah and Dubai continuously between 1998 and 2017.
    Did he even notice the war starting in Syria? He must have spotted it on TV at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Yes we do and we know it well.

You said so already. Where's your proof?

The difference is that some of us support genuine refugees ...............

This family have been through the system and have been found to be "genuine refugees".

Overheal wrote: »
    Source?
    Now now. We have already been told it doesn't matter how wealthy they were, or how long they were living happily in UAE.
    This family have been through the system and have been found to be "genuine refugees".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Odhinn wrote: »
    Y

and it cannot be said often enough that this young woman has settled into a new country, with all the upheavals, worked very hard at her education and been rightly given this award. She deserves it. Well done!

recedite wrote: »
    Now now. We have already been told it doesn't matter how wealthy they were, or how long they were living happily in UAE.

Wealth has no bearing on refugee status, nor should it, logically.

They have indeed been through the system and found to be genuine. If you can prove otherwise using sources, then out with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You keep coming up with these words that may mean something here, but may be irrelevant over there. Asylum seeker. Refugee. Skilled migrant worker. Temporary worker. Resident. Citizen.

At the end of the day, they were living and working there quite legally for years. There is no suggestion that they were being kicked out. In fact we know the main breadwinner of the family stayed on for at least one extra year. He might even be back there now, for all I know.

I don't really care what label you want to put on their status in UAE. The correct label will be in Arabic anyway.

What you don't really care about is the truth. You are too busy making up reasons to object to this girl being in Ireland. It's absolutely pathetic.

A girl who's third language is English, qualifies for the RCSI after three years in the country. That's exactly the sort of immigrant Ireland needs. I hope she never runs into people like you in real life.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

So everything you’ve claimed as fact without evidence shall be dismissed without evidence

/thread

Graces7 wrote: »
    and it cannot be said often enough that this young woman has settled into a new country, with all the upheavals, worked very hard at her education and been rightly given this award. She deserves it. Well done!

You'll note that often in these "refugee" threads there is widespread sneering at the notion of refugees contributing to society. Here we have a young woman on her way to just that and being treated with the same contempt by many of the same people for her trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Plus the €5000 per year Campbell bursary spending money, on top of the usual grants, which was intended for disadvantaged people in Ireland.

If she gets it, it was intended for her. We don't let people into the country then treat them like second class citizens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Overheal wrote: »
    Sources?

Relevance?

You tell me. Funny coincidence though, kind of smacks a bit of hey lets not focus on the two rapey African lads, here's a Syrian refugee girl who done good. Just pretend that her family's story doesn't bear up well under the slightest scrutiny, but then again it's been a very long time since the Irish media asked any pertinent questions about so called refugees.

You tell me.

You made the reference therefore - in the absence of mind reading abilities - its for you to explain it

Did he even notice the war starting in Syria? He must have spotted it on TV at some stage.

It is,of course possible that his wife and daughter were living in Syria during the period from 1998 -2014,perhaps only then fleeing that country.

The Irish media reportage however suggests that the family came direct from Syria,which is slightly at varience with the U.A.E element ?

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2019/1106/1089120-syrian-student/
    Suaad came to Ireland with her mother at the age of 14, seeking refuge from the war in Syria. Her father joined them shortly after.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-want-to-be-able-to-give-back-teenage-syrian-refugee-wins-5kayear-scholarship-to-study-medicine-38667674.html
    She and her mother only came to Ireland from their war-torn country three years ago. They spent their first year in Direct Provision in Co Monaghan.

One must assume that the State agencies,and the RCSI have sufficiently robust systems in place to deter opportunists,and that these functioned as intended in this case ?

Even with that caveat,the story has to be seen in a positive light,with,I presume,the added benefit of perhaps attracting further high calibre applicants from Syria ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

You tell me.

Not going to put words in your mouth. Not going to entertain your derailments either.

Where are your sources for previous claims of fact

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

It is,of course possible that his wife and daughter were living in Syria during the period from 1998 -2014,perhaps only then fleeing that country.

The Irish media reportage however suggests that the family came direct from Syria,which is slightly at varience with the U.A.E element ?

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2019/1106/1089120-syrian-student/

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-want-to-be-able-to-give-back-teenage-syrian-refugee-wins-5kayear-scholarship-to-study-medicine-38667674.html

One must assume that the State agencies,and the RCSI have sufficiently robust systems in place to deter opportunists,and that these functioned as intended in this case ?

Even with that caveat,the story has to be seen in a positive light,with,I presume,the added benefit of perhaps attracting further high calibre applicants from Syria ?

The UAE was mentioned in the article below. I'd be inclined to think it true and that the articles you mentioned just omitted it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/syrian-refugee-student-wins-state-scholarship-1.4074645

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

If the UAE connection is true then i am not sure how the state would process that Asylum seekers application. Can they reject it based on them living elsewhere prior to coming to Ireland?

Interesting stat here:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ireland-has-lowest-refusal-rate-of-asylum-applicants-920320.html

I don't need to tell you anything. You are one of a small group on this site who clearly have skin in the game. So long as you are benefiting like the others from the migrant money trough there will be no persuading you otherwise, even if you really don't believe what you're spouting.

“And you are one of a small group on this site who clearly has skin in the game. So long as you benefit like the others from rampant xenophobia and subjugation of migrants there is no persuading you otherwise even if you really don’t believe what you’re spouting”

• Advertisement

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    The UAE was mentioned in the article below. I'd be inclined to think it true and that the articles you mentioned just omitted it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/syrian-refugee-student-wins-state-scholarship-1.4074645

The article mentions 2011,by which time Mr Alshleh was already 13 years working in the U.A.E

It may,or course be of no consequence,and obviously was'nt of any great importance to those in charge of the Bursary process.

I don't need to tell you anything. ...................

...which means your posts can be ignored as baseless.

I've no problem with that, but lets call a spade a spade. If we want to use our money to attract the best students and graduates from countries that are a bit down on their luck, fine.
    The yanks have been doing it for years. Its a brain drain for the other country, and it would be our gain. But lets not call it "asylum" or "international protection".

There is a guy studying in UCD this year who rocks up to lectures in a brand new convertible Merc. Wears prada shoes with solid gold buckles. This guy is a legend there, he is some kind of Emirati prince. That's also great, he adds a bit of diversity and colour and he pays his own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

Plus the €5000 per year Campbell bursary spending money, on top of the usual grants, which was intended for disadvantaged people in Ireland.

What grants? Have you managed to find evidence of grants? You claimed they were of means and grants are means tested. So which is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Graces7 wrote: »

Well done to her.

Are you still against refugees going to Achill Island

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

statesaver wrote: »
    Well done to her.

Are you still against refugees going to Achill Island

If you can find where I said t hat?

An apology from you would be very appropriate.

! Maybe read what is said. Have a read on the Mayo News site? I and many including local councillors, Minister Ring, Archbishop Neary AND MYSELF have always clearly stated that it is the DP system at fault, that it is wrong to dump vulnerable folk in a place like that hotel in so isolated a place with no facilities where the legal obligations we owe to these folk cannot be fulfilled? Not good enough. These are vulnerable people seeking refuge.

It emerged ( please check this!) that no one from the Dept had even visited the place or checked it out. When they did they cancelled the idea.

We have from the start said clearly the refugees are welcome IF they come to houses. that they will be readily integrated. The Achill folk even sourced actual houses which would have been cheaper than the hotel, but the Dpet rejected the idea . Achill needs folk . But in homes not DP ….places As people .

Just read an article on that site that Achill folk have visited the refuges in Dublin with gifts.. The Dept are still lying and still blaming the Achill folk still omitting that the plan was to send 39 single men in. to a village of just over 70 residents

Now saying that the locals are intimidating.... DP is dehumanising and wrong and Achill provided a human and humane alternative in very detailled and practical form to be knocked back

Wondering why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Why would you consider it a "benefit"?

Top Irish students should always be given the scholarships. They should never be given to someone from another country.

This isn't a football team we're managing here. Irish people have a right to Irish resources, period.

Why would you consider it a "benefit"?

Top Irish students should always be given the scholarships. They should never be given to someone from another country.

This isn't a football team we're managing here. Irish people have a right to Irish resources, period.

This was not a have to be born in Ireland Irish resource. It was a scholarship, open for her to apply. So what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

This was not a have to be born in Ireland Irish resource. It was a scholarship, open for her to apply. So what's the problem?

I know it wasn't, but I think it should have been. They've no right to give it away to foreigners who are only here due to exceptional circumstances.

• Advertisement

I know it wasn't, but I think it should have been. They've no right to give it away to foreigners who are only here due to exceptional circumstances.

Every scholarship has it's own criteria. This one was open to her.

Advertisement