Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syrian refugee student wins state scholarship

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

When I say "discretionary" I mean the word in contrast with vital, emergency, charity money that would cause terrible hardship or death to civilians if Ireland didn't provide it. Hope that's finally clear enough for what I meant. When it's not vital and there is no return on investment, non-Irish citizens should be excluded.

Right.

Rubbish.

"dumbing down" is commonly used to refer to making a syllabus or education standard easier. Graces7 is using it in a highly unorthodox and questionable way, apparently meaning that the student who would get the bursary is "dumber" than the Syrian who had the higher earlier achievement.

If you're going to use the term "dumbing down" like this then it turns into a completely different term, to the point where "dumbing down" would be a good and progressive thing at least half the time. As I explained it would be like saying you were "dumbing down" education by spending money on the worse, or as I suppose you would say "dumber" classes.

you know what, you're right. If you dont give a merit based bursary to the highest achiever just because they are not irish that is just plain old racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

What you are saying is that the government should treat any non-Irish citizen the same as any Irish citizen, which is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Odhinn

What you are saying is that the government should treat any non-Irish citizen the same as any Irish citizen, which is absurd.

..she is or soon will be an irish citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Odhinn wrote: »
    ..she is or soon will be an irish citizen.

If this is the case that is probably because she is studying here, circular logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c26a84a6e2489e22a50ea0eef89c02742fe386ca&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When I say "discretionary" I mean the word in contrast with vital, emergency, charity money that would cause terrible hardship or death to civilians if Ireland didn't provide it. Hope that's finally clear enough for what I meant. When it's not vital and there is no return on investment, non-Irish citizens should be excluded.
    Not a taboo view. Campaign it. Can we agree under the current state of affairs this girl did not abuse the scholarship system?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

jmayo wrote: »
    All state funded scholarships should be given on the proviso the person getting them has to work for the state for a period of time.
    And that is equally applicable whether you are from Timbuktu or Tallaght, Aleppo or Ahascragh.

In fact the idea might be used for just funding for certain very necessary courses like medicine.
    A bit like the premise in Northern Exposure many years ago.

Even taking into account registration fees the state subsidises the courses, some more massively than others depending on the topic or training.
    As it is the state might spend a fortune training a doctor, vet, pharmacist, engineer and never see a return on that investment as the person leaves.

Now anyone doing likes of gender studies, multiculutaral studies, etc can gladly fook off, in fact I wouldn't bother providing any state funding for such shyteology when we have dire need of proper professionals from proper courses.
    Yeah yeah lets hear the Orban comparisons. :rolleyes:

So we should selectively penalise the more hard working and ambitious workers? As opposed to, say, improving working conditions so that junior drs might actually want to stay?

Would you like it if the government of the day turned around tomorrow and said that you and all in your profession were restricted from working abroad for the next 5 years? Probably not.

Advertisement