Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Warrington defends his title once again on Saturday, feels like only last week him and Galahad went to war. He's fast becoming one of my favourite boxers of the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭fitzparker

He is forever only fighting in Leeds, only fought outside twice in 5 years (and one of them was in Manchester), I get the home fighter will always sell a stadium but its annoying at this stage.... will he eventually try cracking America? a la Frampton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Got to the box office around half 4 saturday and got my ticket for $56.

IMG-0155.jpg

Guy says first fight half 5 so was guessing Joe would be in around 7ish based on the bout sheet. Checked into hotel and was keeping an eye on the first fight then got back just before 7. Was showing the guy my ticket and asking about when Ward would be on when he says:

"Oh Ward is done"

"WHAT??'

"Yeah he lost"

I had missed the fight by minutes and this was my main reason to make the trip(:

Gutted as this was first time I had misjudged the time of a fight or weigh in so took back my ticket and left the arena.

Came back around 9 and watched the 2 preliminaries before GGG.

Luckily this fight got me out of my mood!

IMG-0166.jpg

IMG-0167.jpg

The resilience here between the two "Russians" was incredible as the back and forth hammering never let up despite the first round knockdown which live didn't look like it merited an official knockdown. The technician definitely earned Golovkin's respect in the second but a left hook opened a nasty gash over the Ukrainian's eye. However his cutman did a great job between rounds and it never was going to be as bad as Fury's cut.

Before the fifth he was inspected ringside to see if the cut was ok and amid boos was given the all clear! He then chased Glolovkin around the ring and hurt him with a great body shot. Back and forth it went culminating in the tenth which was the best round as it turned into a war with non stop action for the 3 minutes. Great combinations as he threw everything at the Kazakh.

Big Drama Show was aptly named as I had it a draw but wouldn't call it an outright robbery but feel sorry for Derevyanchenko as he just came up short despite never taking a step back.

Third time seeing GGG and time stops for nobody. Saw him destroy Lemieux and this was proof that the accumulated damage is catching up. Cold or no cold the evidence is there and one can see why Canelo has no interest in completing the trilogy.

IMG-0172.jpg

IMG-0173.jpg

Talking to Jimmy later at his place of business and he said Joe would go home and recuperate and be back soon. He also added he will be World Champion. Ok he has a vested interest as his son manages Ward but still high praise.

IMG-0204.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Morrison J wrote: »
    Three terrible cards but Spence right winner.

Actually like them making Spence-Danny next. Spence finally in with a decent puncher.

Looks like Spence will be out for a while

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/10/10/boxer-errol-spence-jr-seriously-injured-rollover-crash-dallas/

• Registered Users Posts: 54,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Saw that....

That well could be the end of his career as regards being at the top...

• Advertisement

reports are saying its only facial injuries, very lucky lad.

For the first time ever not wearing a seatbealt may have saved his life, he was thrown from the car but it did about 4 turns and got mangled

Tommy McCarthy on sky sports now 2nd round just started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Paddy Barnes KO'd again

That may be him done now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Never happened for Barnes at Pro level. I've always found it hard to warm to him, both fighting style and personality. I can't help but think he's been horribly mismanaged in the pro game though; started too late, rushed into a world title, possibly at the wrong weight, without making the necessary adjustments.

weemcd wrote: »
    Never happened for Barnes at Pro level. I've always found it hard to warm to him, both fighting style and personality. I can't help but think he's been horribly mismanaged in the pro game though; started too late, rushed into a world title, possibly at the wrong weight, without making the necessary adjustments.

Dont think Danny Vaughan is a top level coach either so will always come up short and have no plan B

• Advertisement

Turchi's eye is fúcked doctor should stop it

Been a great scrap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

gwalk wrote: »
    Dont think Danny Vaughan is a top level coach either so will always come up short and have no plan B

Agreed with this. Vaughan is terrible. Probably an impossible task fixing Barnes after turning over so late but I don't think Sean McComb is going to reach his potential learning from Vaughan either.

Pete Taylor is the opposite. Making Luke Keeler into a world level fighter and improving Tommy McCarthy already. Definitely the trainer to be with as an Irish fighter right now.

Undercard for the Warrington/Takoucht fight just started

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Patrick Day had emergency brain surgery and is in a coma after being ko'd. Fought on the undercard of the Usyk fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Nal wrote: »
    Patrick Day had emergency brain surgery and is in a coma after being ko'd. Fought on the undercard of the Usyk fight.

Was reading about this...took a heap of head shots throughout..

Just reiterates how inherently lethal dangerous the spirt is; kind of amazing how there aren’t many more serious incidents...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

walshb wrote: »
    Was reading about this...took a heap of head shots throughout..

Just reiterates how inherently lethal dangerous the spirt is; kind of amazing how there aren’t many more serious incidents...

Exactly, this is why any boxer caught using steroids should be banned for life, no appeals. Caught juicing once and your gone.

Crawford v Kavaliauskas
    Commey v Lopez
    Conlan v Nikitin

MSG 14th December

looking forward to seeing Carawford operate in the flesh

Gvozdyk vs Bivol is on Friday night but none of the usual TV companies are showing ir as of yet...

Gvozdyk vs Bivol is on Friday night but none of the usual TV companies are showing ir as of yet...

Gvozdyk wins that for me, what do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Good for TJ to be back in action saturday in Chicago.

Hogan v Charlo in NY December 7 and Conlan the following saturday. Get your dollars ready!!

• Advertisement

gwalk wrote: »
    Crawford v Kavaliauskas
    Commey v Lopez
    Conlan v Nikitin

MSG 14th December

looking forward to seeing Carawford operate in the flesh

And tickets sorted now, should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Not being smart, but do you not mean Gvozdyk v Beterbiev?

Either way it's a great fight.

megadodge wrote: »
    Not being smart, but do you not mean Gvozdyk v Beterbiev?

Either way it's a great fight.

Sorry yeah, my mistake, Bivol fought at the weekend, this is the WBC and IBF unification.
    Still no UK TV company, it's on DAZN in the USA so hopefully it can make it onto skysports.

Sorry yeah, my mistake, Bivol fought at the weekend, this is the WBC and IBF unification.
    Still no UK TV company, it's on DAZN in the USA so hopefully it can make it onto skysports.

At least there will be streams of its Dazn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Parick Day RIP, tragic end to his life, thoughts go out to all who knew, him, family, friends, trainer and team.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/50066825
    Patrick Day: Boxer dies in hospital four days after suffering head injuries in Charles Conwell fight

Spence charged with drink driving

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

NINTCHDBPICT000531734485.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100

Heading to Vegas on Thursday until Tuesday.

Sick I miss out on the Canelo fight by a few days! does anything happen the Monday or Tuesday (flight not till late) that I could go along to? as far as I remember press conference is usually Wednesdays?

Nothing up online yet

fitzparker wrote: »

Sick I miss out on the Canelo fight by a few days! does anything happen the Monday or Tuesday (flight not till late) that I could go along to? as far as I remember press conference is usually Wednesdays?

Nothing up online yet

you may have missed it by a day, cant seem to see a fight week schedule anywhere

but usually its...

Public workout - 3 days before
    press conference - 2 days before the fight
    weigh in the day before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

fitzparker wrote: »

Nothing up online yet
    Fighter arrivals usually happens on the Tuesday. The fighters basically walk through the hotel lobby. Nothing too exciting but you get to have a look at the fighters in the flesh at least.

Advertisement