Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Shakur Stevenson fights this Saturday v Joet Gonzales for the vacant WBO FW title that Oscar Valdez vacated. Stevenson quite a favorite at 5-1 on against 23-0 Gonzalez...

It’s an ESPN job. Not sure any tv channels we have are showing the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

walshb wrote: »
    Shakur Stevenson fights this Saturday v Joet Gonzales for the vacant WBO FW title that Oscar Valdez vacated. Stevenson quite a favorite at 5-1 on against 23-0 Gonzalez...

It’s an ESPN job. Not sure any tv channels we have are showing the card.
    I think Joet will give Stevenson plenty of problems. Really skilled pressure fighter. Like what he's saying in the build up too that he's seeking a stoppage and not going to risk it going to the cards on a Top Rank show. I obviously rate Stevenson highly and he'll probably win but the odds are far too wide imo I'll probably have some money on Gonzalez just for the value.

Odds definitely too wide!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Morrison J wrote: »
    Fighter arrivals usually happens on the Tuesday. The fighters basically walk through the hotel lobby. Nothing too exciting but you get to have a look at the fighters in the flesh at least.
    you may have missed it by a day, cant seem to see a fight week schedule anywhere

but usually its...

Public workout - 3 days before
    press conference - 2 days before the fight
    weigh in the day before

Thanks lads. hopefully something happens, the ring in the MGM is usually up anyway.

4th time in vegas and nothing has been on!

Unbelievable backstory to the Stevenson-Gonzalez fight this weekend.

https://twitter.com/MarkKriegel/status/1187432735465332736?s=20

• Advertisement

I was a click away from buying this PPV on Saturday, and then juts re-watched Taylor and Prograis' semi finals. Ridiculous that these lads are PPV...

Add in the two absolute bums, Price and Chisora, as well as the other bum, Crolla.....

Crolla isn't on the card walshb. Maybe you meant Burns/Selby. Main event is the only interesting fight on the card to me.

Apologies. Yes, he is next week. I meant Burns/Selby....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I was a click away from buying this PPV on Saturday, and then juts re-watched Taylor and Prograis' semi finals. Ridiculous that these lads are PPV...

Add in the two absolute bums, Price and Chisora, as well as the other bum, Crolla.....

What the f*ck have you ever achieved that gives you the right to call professional fighters bums?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but Chris Eubank is fighting Kobrov December 7th. Kobrov is the guy Andy Lee beat to become world champion

dinorebel wrote: »
    What the f*ck have you ever achieved that gives you the right to call professional fighters bums?

Steady on there. lad....

It was more a playful term....I'll try think of something less offensive next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

dinorebel wrote: »

Its an expression same way fighters get called binmen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Not an upcoming fight but Ryan Burnett has retired

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Really?
    That's awful. He's so young. So much more to offer.

Is it his back?

megadodge wrote: »
    Really?
    That's awful. He's so young. So much more to offer.

Is it his back?

Assume so, in his announcement he just mentioned 'injuries'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nigel Benns comeback is off. Busted his shoulder. Probably just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

fitzparker wrote: »
    Heading to Vegas on Thursday until Tuesday.

Sick I miss out on the Canelo fight by a few days! does anything happen the Monday or Tuesday (flight not till late) that I could go along to? as far as I remember press conference is usually Wednesdays?

Nothing up online yet

Cant find anything on DAZN website but still get emails from when I had their subscription and it says:

Tuesday, 10/29

GRAND ARRIVALS
    AT MGM GRAND

Morrison J wrote: »
    Unbelievable backstory to the Stevenson-Gonzalez fight this weekend.

https://twitter.com/MarkKriegel/status/1187432735465332736?s=20

Still a degenerate scumbag for beating up a woman. With his skill set he could have killed her. Coward.

Awful shame there. Hope he made some decent money along the way. He was beating Donaire that time until his leg gave way.

Reminds me of the Joe Ward fight I didnt see!

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Still a degenerate scumbag for beating up a woman. With his skill set he could have killed her. Coward.

Who beat who? I didn't see anything about beating a woman.

I see that Skysports are showing Canelo vs Kovalev, looking forward to this one. Intrigued to see how it will go.
    Kovalev had a very gruelling fight with Yarde just 10 weeks ago, that's some turnaround for him.

• Advertisement

I see that Skysports are showing Canelo vs Kovalev, looking forward to this one. Intrigued to see how it will go.
    Kovalev had a very gruelling fight with Yarde just 10 weeks ago, that's some turnaround for him.

Yes, very intriguing. Kovalev has quite a height and reach advantage. If SK has anything left, and shows decent stamina, he can win. Canelo is far from the busiest of fighters. I think Canelo will need to put a good volume and hurt together to win.....carrying the extra 14 -15 lbs....? May not be as easy as he thinks.

Canelo can't really hurt SK? I think SK can outbox him all night.....

Yes, very intriguing. Kovalev has quite a height and reach advantage. If SK has anything left, and shows decent stamina, he can win. Canelo is far from the busiest of fighters. I think Canelo will need to put a good volume and hurt together to win.....carrying the extra 14 -15 lbs....? May not be as easy as he thinks.

Canelo can't really hurt SK? I think SK can outbox him all night.....

I think Canelo can hurt Kov to the body.

I know I have spoken before about fighters nowadays fighting too infrequently, but surely 10 weeks recovery from the Yarde fight is too little.
    Kovalev was in serious trouble in that one and had to dig to the bottom of the well.

Then again the quick turnaround might have kept him focused and off the Vodka...

I really have no idea how this will go, but something tells me Canelo wouldn't be taking this fight unless he was very confident of victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

I think Kovalev will be caught out in the near future as time will catch up with him and his extra curricular activities are well documented. Not much time between fights as the Yard fight was a bit of a slugfest.

I just don't know of Canelo packs enough power or volume to really hurt Kovalev. I've no doubt Canelo is the A side on this card, so a dodgy decision is not out of the question.

Interesting one, it could go a couple of ways.

Can only see a Canelo win tbh. Fair play to him for moving up in weight and challenging himself but I do think it's just another case of Canelo timing a fight well knowing his opponent is over the hill and capitalizing on it. Pure legacy fight so he'll be able to retire saying he won world titles from 155-175.

Kovalev is so fragile these days. Alvarez KO was brutal and Yarde nearly had him out of there too. Canelo a hugely overrated puncher but do think he can hurt Kovalev to the body. Either way, Kovalev has slowed down and Canelo will be able to slip his jab and land his flashy counters to take it on the cards.

To beat Canelo on the cards you need to win 9/10 clear rounds. Kovalev isn't doing that. Especially given he's likely to gas hard from Canelo's body shots. Hard for me to give him much chance at all in this which is mad given the size difference between the two.

I think Canelo can hurt Kov to the body.

I know I have spoken before about fighters nowadays fighting too infrequently, but surely 10 weeks recovery from the Yarde fight is too little.
    Kovalev was in serious trouble in that one and had to dig to the bottom of the well.

Then again the quick turnaround might have kept him focused and off the Vodka...

I really have no idea how this will go, but something tells me Canelo wouldn't be taking this fight unless he was very confident of victory.

I am with you on this...

But Canelo still has to actually get to the body first. Not that easy against a taller and rangier boxer, who can hit, and who can box.

Canelo and his team aren't going to take this unless they have real confidence,

I just hope SK turns up and makes a fight of it......

There has been a lot of tension between Oscar and Canelo in the lead up to this. Canelo has been directly criticising his promoter and a split looks on the cards.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/10/30/20940852/canelo-alvarez-rips-own-promoter-oscar-de-la-hoya-boxing-news

There's a chance that the Judges might not be as kind to him as they have been in the past as a result.

Inoue vs Donaire is live on Skysports on Thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

can only see it going one way, Inuoe is very destructive

Thursday?
    What time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

megadodge wrote: »