Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nike sponsoring sub-2 hour marathon attempt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

BDI wrote: »
    That sounds like pushing the envelope talk

What envelope? The shoe is legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Murph_D wrote: »
    What envelope? The shoe is legal.

I rubbed the shoe on my sons skin and he passed the test.

Oh right. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Would be great to see a similar set up, sponsored by a fracking company to see if a woman, wearing those Nike cheat shoes could break the 2:15 barrier. No one has been close since Paula nearly did.

Lazare wrote: »
    In 60 years time will he be the Bannister or will the first man to do it in a sanctioned event be?

Bannister was headline news.

Already having to scroll down the sports pages to find articles about Kipchoge's effort.

It was a remarkable run. But his claim that this Nike promotion was as historical as Bannister's run was hyperbole. As others have pointed out, Nike have just stolen the thunder from whoever does it in race conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Torsevt

Nike have just sold a load of shoes

God forbid they go for a 215 and Paula Radcliffe gets new publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Already having to scroll down the sports pages to find articles about Kipchoge's effort.

It was a remarkable run. But his claim that this Nike promotion was as historical as Bannister's run was hyperbole. As others have pointed out, Nike have just stolen the thunder from whoever does it in race conditions.

Dunno, I'm getting messages from people who know I run saying 'did you hear some African lad ran a marathon in under 2 hours'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Sure it's a different world now compared to when Bannister did it, we have 24hr news and sports coverage, the internet etc.
    There is always something going on somewhere in the world and yesterday's news becomes exactly that.
    Even if he did it in a proper race it would still be yesterday's news by now and you'd be scrolling down the sports sections to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

ewc78 wrote: »
    Sure it's a different world now compared to when Bannister did it, we have 24hr news and sports coverage, the internet etc.
    There is always something going on somewhere in the world and yesterday's news becomes exactly that.
    Even if he did it in a proper race it would still be yesterday's news by now and you'd be scrolling down the sports sections to find it.

Sorry but your last point is nonsense.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

It's in the top stories section of both BBC sport and sky news. Facebook is littered with it still. I also had family members and friends messaging me about it. I don't really get what relevance it not being a top story would mean regardless. Plenty going on with Brexit and people dying in a typhoon in Japan for it to get bumped down a bit.

I do agree however that the comparisons to walking on the moon etc is nonsense.

I also agree this had taken from whoever does it in a race. I'm not anti the whole experiment but I wouldn't say I'm it's biggest fan either. It is what it is. A super achievement.

• Advertisement

Sorry but your last point is nonsense.

If you think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

ewc78 wrote: »
    If you think so.

I know so.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,758 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think it’s a great achievement, but it all seems a bit flat as regards people really caring...

I know so.

Whatever makes you happy buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Came across an interesting read on yesterday's achievement, would agree with the author that seeing Kipchoge & Bekele on the start line at the Olympics would be quite the mouthwatering contest.

Critical Power, Carbon Fibre and Co-operative Drafting: the science behind the first sub two-hour marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

I do agree however that the comparisons to walking on the moon etc is nonsense.

I saw a good comparison with both being feats of technological advancement making it a fairly apt comparison

opus wrote: »
    would agree with the author that seeing Kipchoge & Bekele on the start line at the Olympics would be quite the mouthwatering contest.

I am about 90% you won't see Bekele in Tokyo. By all accounts he has had some set backs with his business so prospect of no appearance fee would make it highly unlikely. I reckon London will be the place for a heads up though given short turnaround might not happen for EK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

All this in the week that Salazar was finally banned

If you want me to believe you are clean (ANY SPORT), do not wear Nike!!

NOP will (maybe already) be forgotten, just like BALCO and people will still wear their goods!

The shoes are not legal. The ACTUAL shoes they are wearing are not generally available

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Murph_D wrote: »
    If the shoe is legal, why not wear it? I don’t, because I don’t have a grá for Nike shoes, and I don’t like the price. But if I thought it could shave 2 mins off my PB and qualify me for London, why not? The cost would easily be saved by not paying the tourist premium.

Its up to the sport to regulate equipment. We can of course then exercise our principles if we choose, but as long as it’s not banned, good luck to anyone who wears it.

I think I outlined above why I wouldn't wear them. I'd like my performance improvements to be real improvements due to training and hard work not due to giving Nike €300.

That fact that they are not illegal is not the point, they should be in my opinion but in any case they are the ultimate shortcut.

I also don't like Nike shoes in general and as you point out they are way too expensive as well as being not very durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sisaylemma

Incredible to witness , the best thing about it is we know it's 100% without a doubt clean .

We know he's clean because he's with Nike and Nike just wouldn't associate themselves with doping. What would Nike gain from it. This was the first race I really enjoyed because it was so legit.

I suppose he's just lucky all of the other guys that can run sub 2.06 are all squeaky clean too , imagine one of them did dope then the sub 2 be already gone.

Nike restoring my faith in athletics, totally legit like Radcliff just hard work and a few gels , Brits don't dope .

• Advertisement

gypsy79 wrote: »
    All this in the week that Salazar was finally banned

If you want me to believe you are clean (ANY SPORT), do not wear Nike!!

NOP will (maybe already) be forgotten, just like BALCO and people will still wear their goods!

The shoes are not legal. The ACTUAL shoes they are wearing are not generally available

Don't think it's as simple as that Nike athletics are huge and account for nearly 60-70% of all sponsorships in the sport. Just look at the 41 pacers from yesterday all Nike athletes from all across the world and also

Nike sponsorships:

NOP
    Bowerman Track Club
    Oregon Track Club
    Team Ingebritsens
    USATF
    UKA
    Kenyan Athletics
    Melbourne Track Club

Thats just to name a few. NOP was only just a small (albeit "successful" par of that)

Regarding the shoes, they will more than likely be available come the spring.

I don't think anyone forgets about BALCO (in fact the fallout has actually been beneficial as Victor Conte has been one of the most influential figures in anti doping information in the past 10 years) and likewise I don't think NOP will be forgotten quickly (especially when you see every single athlete questioned about it in build up to Chicago, both NOP members and others)

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think I outlined above why I wouldn't wear them. I'd like my performance improvements to be real improvements due to training and hard work not due to giving Nike €300.

That fact that they are not illegal is not the point, they should be in my opinion but in any case they are the ultimate shortcut.

I also don't like Nike shoes in general and as you point out they are way too expensive as well as being not very durable.

Fair enough, that’s more clear. It seems to me too that they should be illegal, but I’m deferring to those who regulate the sport, and as long as they’re permitted I don’t blame anyone for using them. You could argue it the other way - that the best equipment helps deliver the result that your hard training deserves.

Still won’t be buying. Not yet anyway. ;)

KSU wrote: »
    I don't think anyone forgets about BALCO (in fact the fallout has actually been beneficial as Victor Conte has been one of the most influential figures in anti doping information in the past 10 years) and likewise I don't think NOP will be forgotten quickly (especially when you see every single athlete questioned about it in build up to Chicago, both NOP members and others)

You do know who funded BALCO??
    Nike sponsorships:

NOP
    Bowerman Track Club
    Oregon Track Club
    Team Ingebritsens
    USATF
    UKA
    Kenyan Athletics
    Melbourne Track Club

Kenyan athletics is dirtiest country in the world and should be banned

UK athletics 100% knew what they were getting into when they got Farah involved and then went out of their way to hide the details for years and still do

USATF biggest benefactories of NOP

Involved with Nike then you are dirty as far as I am concerned

And Dina Asher Smith is assumed filthy too.

The €300 shoe they are flogging isnt these shoes. It doesnt have the full 'technology'. It isnt widely available hence illegal

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

opus wrote: »
    Came across an interesting read on yesterday's achievement, would agree with the author that seeing Kipchoge & Bekele on the start line at the Olympics would be quite the mouthwatering contest.

Critical Power, Carbon Fibre and Co-operative Drafting: the science behind the first sub two-hour marathon

Very good blog, thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,758 ✭✭✭✭walshb

FFS, they’re a pair of bleedin’ runners. They don’t have combustible engines attached to them...

walshb wrote: »
    FFS, they’re a pair of bleedin’ runners. They don’t have combustible engines attached to them...

Oscar Pistorius had legs!!

Of course runners can have too much 'bounce'. You want him to wear roller blades next time??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

gypsy79 wrote: »
    The €300 shoe they are flogging isnt these shoes. It doesnt have the full 'technology'. It isnt widely available hence illegal
    Which is why they're not worn in competition races.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Would be great to see a similar set up, sponsored by a fracking company to see if a woman, wearing those Nike cheat shoes could break the 2:15 barrier. No one has been close since Paula nearly did.

Might not be any need for this :eek:

Brigid Kosgei currently through 30k on 2.14 pace after picking the pace up from half way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Might not be any need for this :eek:

Brigid Kosgei currently through 30k on 2.14 pace after picking the pace up from half way

Runners aren’t helping Sir Mo anyway!!

Advertisement