Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

Storm 10 wrote: »

Could one expect any less from a gutter rag that lauds the ostentatious lifestyles of Glenda Gilson and Rosanna Davison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

The inability of people to stick to "TECHNICAL" posts in here has reached an all time low for the weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces hope your ok this morning and got some sleep last night - i want to put in an order for a woolly hat too!! any colour, whatever is easiest on your eyes! take care and keep us up to date on events x

All well here. Quietening nicely now.

Lorenzo is dead!
    RIP Lorenzo!

will pm thee.. Blessings and thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Could one expect any less from a gutter rag that lauds the ostentatious lifestyles of Glenda Gilson and Rosanna Davison.

I look forward to "My bumpy night with Lorenzo, by Glenda Gilson" running in the late edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

high tide flooding donegal town this morning basically down by the river and the bosco centre

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Government will be happy with RTE pushing the climate change agenda. Makes it easier for them to bring in taxes in the budget. Government will probably cave into their demands for more funds easier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The forecasts need to go back to their traditional beginning.presenting the weather.simple.
    This address the nation live on a presidential platform needs to be culled.its brutal bad.
    Talk about copying the yanks.
    Evelyn cusack above on a stage trying to hype the weather with 30 microphones in front of her and idiot journalists asking stupid questions and flashing photos.
    You’d swear they captured King Kong.
    And as for the national emergency meeting scheduled for this morning.whats that about?
    Coffee and a croissant I’d say and a bit of sh1te talk.
    I’d appreciate if the forecast went back to the way it was and quit the boll1xology

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

The forecasts need to go back to their traditional beginning.presenting the weather.simple.
    This address the nation live on a presidential platform needs to be culled.its brutal bad.
    Talk about copying the yanks.
    Evelyn cusack above on a stage trying to hype the weather with 30 microphones in front of her and idiot journalists asking stupid questions and flashing photos.
    You’d swear they captured King Kong.
    And as for the national emergency meeting scheduled for this morning.whats that about?
    Coffee and a croissant I’d say and a bit of sh1te talk.
    I’d appreciate if the forecast went back to the way it was and quit the boll1xology

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Storm 10 wrote: »
    "She approaches interviews with the look of a dog owner.. "

These people are just nasty, but my sympathy for Met Eireann in these situations is beginning to wane. They choose to speak to the press knowing full well that everything they say will be distorted and embellished. And as we know, the press will just as easily turn around, as they have done in the past, and blame the Met for their misleading hype... just to keep a story going. If Met Eireann want to lie down with flea infested dogs, then so be it.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

lleti wrote: »
    Government will be happy with RTE pushing the climate change agenda. Makes it easier for them to bring in taxes in the budget. Government will probably cave into their demands for more funds easier now.

One of the lads just tell you that on his tea break?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lleti wrote: »
    Government will be happy with RTE pushing the climate changeincreased tax take agenda. Makes it easier for them to bring in taxes in the budget. Government will probably cave into their demands for more funds easier now.

Fixed that for ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

flazio wrote: »
    Could the fact that we are starting to heed warnings, take better care of our landscapes and you know, adapt to the conditions be a factor in why the storm wasn't as destructive as we were lead to believe?
    Warnings have no effect on destruction caused by nature. It really depends on what you've seen. If you've woken up to a drizzly day then you are less likely to see the fuss or believe a warning. The trouble is not Lorenzo, although I'm sure a lot can be learnt from the behaviour of it, it's the number of warnings for fairly typical weather we receive. Aside from the west coast there was little to fret about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Gerry Murphy on now with Ray Kennedy discussing the low pressure that is over us.
    Sinead Hussey reporting a High Tide on the Shannon in Athlone.I thought I had heard it all after over 60 years on this planet,but not yet it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Windier now then it was all day yesterday in cork. Sudden gusts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

prunudo wrote: »
    They don't help but I think a real problem is social media or in particular Facebook. Yesterday I saw people sharing posts from the likes of Dublin Live, Radio Nova, Irish Mirror all mentioning Storm Lorenzo and red warnings in the headline, its not until you dig deeper into the article you see the real albeit sketchy detail.
    Then you also have people sharing 2 day old articles from where there was still a possibility it could be worse but people taking it as realtime and fact.
    At the end of the day the problem isn't Met Eireann, some of the blame lies with regular and social media but ultimately the fault lays at people who are too lazy to look into the finer details and who lap up the hype from this click bait society that has developed around us.
    Dublin Live are absolutely hilarious. During the summer, someone in work informed me that there we were due a dangerous heat wave over the weekend (it was due to be just over 20C). They pointed me towards a Dublin Live headline which stated that "Met Eireann have issued TWO weather warnings". What were the warnings? One was a small craft warning, the other a blight warning.

Due to the uncertainty surrounding it, MÉ were correct in my view to bring up the possibility of severe disruption late last week when we knew it was going to be heading our way. Unfortunately, even though they moderated their stance and their warnings reflected that, the media had already caught hold of the "hurricane" and nothing Met Éireann did could stop them producing clickbait headlines. Met Éireann got it pretty much spot on but they'll likely get blamed for overhyping by the same media outlets that did so solely to get clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

RTE using the windy.com ECM wind graphic on gust setting, on their "Lorenzo Special", talk about sensationalism. Someone's head needs to roll for all this (& G. Lee too)

Next time we have a strong low coming into the country that could cause problems, most of the public are not going to take any notice and that is going to cause real problems.

Windier now then it was all day yesterday in cork. Sudden gusts.

Same here in Tipp.

Dublin Live are absolutely hilarious. During the summer, someone in work informed me that there we were due a dangerous heat wave over the weekend (it was due to be just over 20C). They pointed me towards a Dublin Live headline which stated that "Met Eireann have issued TWO weather warnings". What were the warnings? One was a small craft warning, the other a blight warning.

Due to the uncertainty surrounding it, MÉ were correct in my view to bring up the possibility of severe disruption late last week when we knew it was going to be heading our way. Unfortunately, even though they moderated their stance and their warnings reflected that, the media had already caught hold of the "hurricane" and nothing Met Éireann did could stop them producing clickbait headlines. Met Éireann got it pretty much spot on but they'll likely get blamed for overhyping by the same media outlets that did so solely to get clicks.
    They did overdo it on the eventual weather warnings, with large parts of the country not adversely affected nor in the path of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

After all the hype generated by the media that had people worked up... here in Cork it was a bit of a wet day for a while. I mean, people at my wife's workplace were asking her should they cancel meetings. Relatives in Dublin were sending us good luck messages yesterday afternoon (as I looked out the window at blue sky peeping through some clouds). T.G. for the boards thread where sensibility prevailed. ME too did well to keep the alerts up to date and as accurate as they could (it's not their fault it was hyped). I get there was a level of uncertainty with different models predicting different outcomes but the likes of RTE, Newstalk, Virgin etc. and the papers were all forecasting violent storms, massive destruction/disruption. I feel for those that were affected but listening to the "aftermath" report this morning it's clear that RTE are still doing their best to dramatize this. It's so obvious they have nothing to go with when the only significant reports are a handful of houses flooded in Donegal and 4000-5000 houses without power. They even sound like their holding out for hope that they're might be more flooding.

Carlow weather fella (waves!) was on Pat Kenny's programme speaking sense. It hadn't occurred to me that there is no official flood warning system in place here - his views that local weather impact rather than catchall "yellow/orange/red" warnings over a swath of land make more sense is also sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Tazio wrote: »
    I was told at work this morning, RTE (national broadcaster) had a 'Prime Time' Special on the storm at 21:30h last night. That must have been awkward to fill time? I must see if I can stream it today for the craic.

And they announced a special Lorenzo update for 7am this morning with a programme dedicated to it at 9am.

What a complete bunch of tossers they are! They had elderly people at their wits end because of their utter incompetence.

I’d say Sharon NiBheolain was up all night in a bunker in RTE as she couldn’t risk going home in a national emergency.

dacogawa wrote: »
    RTE using the windy.com ECM wind graphic on gust setting, on their "Lorenzo Special", talk about sensationalism. Someone's head needs to roll for all this (& G. Lee too)

Next time we have a strong low coming into the country that could cause problems, most of the public are not going to take any notice and that is going to cause real problems.
    As someone posted above if they make a better effort to spell out the weather forecast, i.e. very wet or very windy and not just blanket it with their colour scheme we might pay attention. Issuing catch-all warnings is just catnip for the media.

The Storm Special was over by 9.30 - they had to admit defeat. It wasn't a washout.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

is_that_so wrote: »
    Meh, you're as bad as a wine snob! Unless you make it invite only that's what happens on a public forum. Do what any other poster does on a thread littered with dross, skip past it!

It clearly states Technical discussion only in the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

All time low for the forum.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    It clearly states Technical discussion only in the thread title.
    Ha, and when did people ever pay attention to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Independent.ie are doing this all year round,watch out for their sensationalism when we get a bit of frost and the temperature is -2.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

is_that_so wrote: »
    They did overdo it on the eventual weather warnings, with large parts of the country not adversely affected nor in the path of the system.
    I don't believe that they did. Yellow warnings are generally not unusual and the vast majority of the country had a yellow warning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Independent.ie are doing this all year round,watch out for their sensationalism when we get a bit of frost and the temperature is -2.

They are turning more and more like the mail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It seems to be windier just in the last hour than all of yesterday evening and all night. South East of Limerick City where we are status green ATM when we had orange then.

Advertisement